Options

Backpacking and photography

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
edited August 7, 2007 in Technique
I know we have some avid, even a couple rabid, hikers and travellers in these forums.

Does anyone have helpful ideas and thoughts about photography on-the-go?

I'm thinking of the whole gamut, backpacking and tent camping, hiking and any other excursion which involves toting your equipment around for an extended period.

Thanks,

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Yoda once said...
    Hiking leads to pain. Pain leads to suffering. Suffering leads...to the dark side!

yoda.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    And Lonestar...
    the wise and heroic space adventurer once said...

Take only what you need to SURVIVE!

spaceballs.jpg
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    I now have Singulair with which to breathe and a PT appt to keep my back going...............

Why do I need a backpack with 50 lbs of photo equipment just to survive on any trip no matter how short or how long?

If you don't take it, that will be the one thing you will need!

And don't forget the bug spray!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 7, 2006
    • Large amount of gear
    • Lots of Miles
    • Comfortable Travel
    Pick any two. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    I don't see too many specifics here, so I'll ask questions.

Digicam vs dSLR vs SLR film vs rangefinder? (For hiking and camping context.)

Your worst regret? If I only had ? I could have ?

Gear on a budget? (If I only had a couple hundred to spend)

Gear on deep pockets? (If I had an alomost unlimited budget, but don't want my back killing me at the end of the day.)

The importance of weather/water proof gear and equipment?

Yodas and SpaceBalls are both welcome to reply. :uhoh

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Neigh Sayors
    K - Other than agreeing that it's heavy, I'll say it is possible with enough will power.

I went on a hike up to a great lookout, and there were clouds... I would have killed for a L lens, but I was worried about dropping, dust, weight... etc. I hated switching lenses - NOthing is accessible when actually backpacking except necessities - so even if you have a lens burried, plan on some time before having the opportunity to get the shot. Wide for landscapes are awesome, but something more powerful is a necessity for most wildlife.

I took a 28-105 and a 70-300 with me, and wished I had gone wider. (Still haven't bought that 12-24 sigma though) I caught an eagle with a 2X and my 70-300 (Moderately good shots) but it was better then not carrying a zoom. Tripod wasn't/hasn't ever been a necessity for me, but it depends on what shots you want to get. I've been sitting around a campfire wishing I could shoot the stars with a tripod - but couldn't handle the extra weight/bulk. I usually take a monopod/walking stick (Still need to screw in a mount on top of my walking stick...)

I usually take a bag that's seperate so I can take it out, and all my gear is still protected. Then I just slip it back into my bag - extra layer of waterproofing... Plan on dropping things in the dirt (Lens caps, filters, etc.) It just happens.

I've never taken lighting (But I had a 20D so built in flash) because I never planned on needing a strobe. And I never have regretted it.

There's my thoughts.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I know we have some avid, even a couple rabid, hikers and travellers in these forums.

Does anyone have helpful ideas and thoughts about photography on-the-go?

I'm thinking of the whole gamut, backpacking and tent camping, hiking and any other excursion which involves toting your equipment around for an extended period.

Thanks,

ziggy53

off to Philmont? We're signed up for next year in July.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I don't see too many specifics here, so I'll ask questions.

Digicam vs dSLR vs SLR film vs rangefinder? (For hiking and camping context.)
    If camping from a vehicle, bring what you can fit in the car. If you are lugging junk on your back, take as little as possible
    Your worst regret? If I only had ? I could have ?
    Worst regret...hiking. If I only had...not hiked. I could have...driven mwink.gif
    Gear on a budget? (If I only had a couple hundred to spend)
    digicam, snickers, water bottles, matches, map, flashlight, sunglasses, hat, walking stick, knife, tent/bivy/plastic tarp.
    Gear on deep pockets? (If I had an alomost unlimited budget, but don't want my back killing me at the end of the day.)
    http://www.bdi.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog
    The importance of weather/water proof gear and equipment?
    water kills. Protect everything from water...everything. It only takes a dunk in a river or sudden downpour to find out what gets destroyed, what washes away, and what little is still dry. Plastic bags, containers, etc are very important. If it can get damaged by water, it must be protected.

Don't rely on gravity to keep things on your pack or in pockets. Use closers, straps, etc to physically attach things you want to keep in the event of an upset of one sort or another. Pockets that do not close are not safe for storage.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    photodoug wrote:

i'm going in this June.mwink.gif me and Ziggy were debating stuff to take and i need advice... thus this thread.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    i am considering a trip to the Kimberly region of NW Aust

the plan is to have luxuries and comforts in the car, with a tent.

then a swag with camera pack ,light food and water for planned over- nights or walks which could end up that way.

a swag is a foam rubber bedroll with a hoop supporting a little canvas and mosquito net roof-there are other names for them.

my gear fits into a lowepro micro trekker II-it could be attached to the back of a large camping rucksack,but i think i prefer something smaller for the food and utensils in conjunct6ion with the camera pack.the swag could strap to the top of the microtrekker.

i carry a canon 20d,400,300,200 SMC Takumars,60mm macro , 50mm ,macro gear and tripod.

after a few hiking trips which had me overloaded and exhausted ,and now with photographic gear,i think light.

interesting discussion!
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    K - Other than agreeing that it's heavy, I'll say it is possible with enough will power.

I went on a hike up to a great lookout, and there were clouds... I would have killed for a L lens, but I was worried about dropping, dust, weight... etc. I hated switching lenses - NOthing is accessible when actually backpacking except necessities - so even if you have a lens burried, plan on some time before having the opportunity to get the shot. Wide for landscapes are awesome, but something more powerful is a necessity for most wildlife.

I took a 28-105 and a 70-300 with me, and wished I had gone wider. (Still haven't bought that 12-24 sigma though) I caught an eagle with a 2X and my 70-300 (Moderately good shots) but it was better then not carrying a zoom. Tripod wasn't/hasn't ever been a necessity for me, but it depends on what shots you want to get. I've been sitting around a campfire wishing I could shoot the stars with a tripod - but couldn't handle the extra weight/bulk. I usually take a monopod/walking stick (Still need to screw in a mount on top of my walking stick...)

I usually take a bag that's seperate so I can take it out, and all my gear is still protected. Then I just slip it back into my bag - extra layer of waterproofing... Plan on dropping things in the dirt (Lens caps, filters, etc.) It just happens.

I've never taken lighting (But I had a 20D so built in flash) because I never planned on needing a strobe. And I never have regretted it.

There's my thoughts.

Thanks Jamoke, That's what I was looking for!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    photodoug wrote:

Doug,

You'll have to compare notes with Daniel. I envy you both, but then I'll probably have a comfortable bed most of this year. My son is getting to "that" age where other stuff interferes, like girls and sports and ... other stuff. (I'm sorry, is there anything besides girls and sports?)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    If camping from a vehicle, bring what you can fit in the car. If you are lugging junk on your back, take as little as possible

Good.
    Worst regret...hiking. If I only had...not hiked. I could have...driven mwink.gif.

Must be one o' them "city" folks, huh?
    digicam, snickers, water bottles, matches, map, flashlight, sunglasses, hat, walking stick, knife, tent/bivy/plastic tarp.

A digicam with what qualities? Special considerations? (Like batteries, etc.)

Yep, that's cool. I'm not sure the 120 lbs. capacity is enough?
    water kills. Protect everything from water...everything. It only takes a dunk in a river or sudden downpour to find out what gets destroyed, what washes away, and what little is still dry. Plastic bags, containers, etc are very important. If it can get damaged by water, it must be protected.

Don't rely on gravity to keep things on your pack or in pockets. Use closers, straps, etc to physically attach things you want to keep in the event of an upset of one sort or another. Pockets that do not close are not safe for storage.

Now that's great advice.

Thanks Shay,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm going in this June.mwink.gif me and Ziggy were debating stuff to take and i need advice... thus this thread.thumb.gif

Daniel,

I'm really hoping you and Doug start a dialog here in this thread, before and after. It's all about learning and sharing.

I'm kinda hoping for more first-person testimonials of what worked vs what didn't work or wasn't needed.

There's a million stories out there.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    i am considering a trip to the Kimberly region of NW Aust

the plan is to have luxuries and comforts in the car, with a tent.

then a swag with camera pack ,light food and water for planned over- nights or walks which could end up that way.

a swag is a foam rubber bedroll with a hoop supporting a little canvas and mosquito net roof-there are other names for them.

my gear fits into a lowepro micro trekker II-it could be attached to the back of a large camping rucksack,but i think i prefer something smaller for the food and utensils in conjunct6ion with the camera pack.the swag could strap to the top of the microtrekker.

i carry a canon 20d,400,300,200 SMC Takumars,60mm macro , 50mm ,macro gear and tripod.

after a few hiking trips which had me overloaded and exhausted ,and now with photographic gear,i think light.

interesting discussion!

Greg,

Sounds fascinating. I love how you still use older photography technology along with new.

Do you have any images of your setup or links to the specialized stuff?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Must be one o' them "city" folks, huh?
    You would think so wouldn't you hehehe. Actually I spent my youth in hard core hiking from fully loaded, to dangerously lacking. I guess you could say I am burned out on it and avoid it whenever possible rolleyes1.gif
    A digicam with what qualities? Special considerations? (Like batteries, etc.)
    I have hiked using an SLR slung over my pack frame to a pocket digicam. The distance you will hike will determine what equipment you take. I would not feel bad taking any modern digicam on a hike and most should last a good week with just a spare battery change or two. You will need to have some cleaning methods with you for the camera lens and something for the sensor if taking an SLR.

But I would rather take more food than more camera equipment. It's hard to enjoy life when you are tired and hungry mwink.gif.

And bring a pillow. Nothing ruins a nights sleep like not having your head supported properly.

Depending on how often you hike, bring moleskin and put it on at the first and slightest hint of blister.

I just visited the Campmor store in New Jersey for the first time on Monday. Sweet store, and huge. Kind of like the big REI stores but a little less formal. Leaning more toward the A16 store in San Diego but without A16's atmosphere.
    Yep, that's cool. I'm not sure the 120 lbs. capacity is enough?
    How big of a pack can you carry?!?! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,212 moderator
    edited April 8, 2006

As for me, my limit is 11 or 12 pounds tops. But I'm small, weak and old. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Daniel,

I'm really hoping you and Doug start a dialog here in this thread, before and after. It's all about learning and sharing.

I'm kinda hoping for more first-person testimonials of what worked vs what didn't work or wasn't needed.

There's a million stories out there.

ziggy53
    My advice is to not forget things. My own experience on my last major hike was that my camera was safe and warm....in my driveway. I was hours away and not able to return for it. So, no shots. I really regretted it...but less now that I'm planning a return trip to the same location...with family members in tow. They've heard the stories and are willing to come along. It's the Trinity Alps in California....high mountains west of Redding, CA. Destination are mountain lakes high at the peaks.

So, a checklist....derive it from the conversations here. Make it dummy-proof so you don't repeat my bonehead mistake. Man, I can recall the exact moment setting my camera bag down to help a buddy lift his pack into the truck.

I think I'd insist on a tripod. Need that help to make photos as sharp as possible. I strap at least a mini pod to my bag at all times. It was mentioned to add a tripod screw to the top of the hiking staff...I'll get to that one! you can always tie a string to your camera and let the end drop to the ground...step on it and pull the string tight...poorest man's monopod. At least it eliminates vertical movement.

I hear Philmont will be 50-80 miles in two weeks. That's not a bad pace, but I don't want "spare parts" to make it a drudge. Need to have lots of energy for activities. Us old men need so much more than boys. New Mexico should be quite toasty in July. I'll scale all of my gear down in size. I'll choose this time to take what I calculate I'll need and not extra. Making the effort to conserve while on the trail will be my concern.

Oh yea, not using the digital display on the camera will greatly conserve my power too.

Tomorrow it's a 10 miler through the redwoods and and the rain with the troop. Tomorrow night is a cub pack crossover ceremony. I don't mind these many years of work for the scouts...my trooper will be soon to discover women-folk and rock-and-roll.

Think I'll subscribe to this thread.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    i've got a monopod, but my biggest thing is what should i take... and should i even take my camera?ne_nau.gif i really wanna take it, i think i could get some sweet photos. but at what risk? it'll be 67 miles in 11 days, where am i gonna put it? the monopod can work as a walking stick, i supposed i could just leave my camear there, or keep it slung around my neck. but then should i take any spare lenses? or just buy a 17-40 and keep it on there with a protective filter. i'll probably buy a couple more batteries to keep. so i'll end up just having the camera, 17-40, and about 5 batteries. ne_nau.gif i have yet to go out and buy all of my camping gear i'll need. so i guess i'll be able to figure weight into the equation once i get my stuff, and then i'll decide if i have enough room even to take it. plastic bags will be a must to keep my stuff in when not using it to fend off water. and i'll be sure to get a bag that has a rain-fly.

this will be my first major hiking/camping trip. am i missing anything? oh yeah, and we can't tie anything to the trees or else we get fined i think 200 dollars. but we have to hang bear-bags, which i guarrantee my camera will be in every night. about 4 years ago we had a kid that had cheetos in his tent and a bear came up in the night and gave him a couple swipes across the face/behind the ear.:uhoh i think it came to 140 stitches.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Bear Story
    DanielB wrote:
    oh yeah, and we can't tie anything to the trees or else we get fined i think 200 dollars. but we have to hang bear-bags, which i guarrantee my camera will be in every night.
    Since you mentioned bears... Once up by Mammoth mountain, I was backpacking, and we were advised not to use trees. So we found a 25 foot cliff, and a big rock at the top. We counterweighted all of our bags, and slung them over the cliff during the night. And around midnight a bear found a piece of fruitcake or something in one of the hikers bags. It was his day bag, so he had it just outside his tent. The bear tore open the bag, and munched on the bread - but woke a few of us up. Who in turn woke up our whole camp. We then gathered, and were startled at the sound of pots and pans falling to the floor below the cliff. We ran over, and fended off the bear (Throwing rocks and yelling) While I wouldn't advise this it saved our bags / food.

The bear had climbed up about 5 feet up the cliff, and took a swipe at some of the bags, ripping them open and knocking their contents down. We returned to sleep around 3:00 am, and were again woken up at 4:00 to the sound of more pans hitting the floor. We went to the bottom of the cliff, but didn't see anything - not even our bags. The bear had pulled them up from the top of the cliff - and ripped the remainder of them open, and had finished off almost an entire jar of jelly. (Irrisistable to him)

Anyway - long story short - I wouldn't keep my camera next to my food. Especially if I new bears were probable or a possibility. If the bear is determined enough, he'll get to the food and possibly damage your camera. Additionally - I woulud have wanted a camera to snap a picture if I had dared (Again not advised... but just a thought)
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    yeah... i just don't want my camera to attract any bears since i'm almost positive i've probably gotten food on is at some point. or sugar. or something that would appease a bear. but maybe a ziplock bag would eliminate the odorne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    yeah... i just don't want my camera to attract any bears since i'm almost positive i've probably gotten food on is at some point. or sugar. or something that would appease a bear. but maybe a ziplock bag would eliminate the odor
    The bread and the Jam were both in zip lock bags....ne_nau.gif But a camera isn't Jam!
    Myabe just wipe it down really well...
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Add, Compass or breadcrums... :D
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    R Johns wrote:
    Add, Compass or breadcrums...

or maybe i should just avoid the house made out of candy.ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    You would think so wouldn't you hehehe. Actually I spent my youth in hard core hiking from fully loaded, to dangerously lacking. I guess you could say I am burned out on it and avoid it whenever possible rolleyes1.gif

I have hiked using an SLR slung over my pack frame to a pocket digicam. The distance you will hike will determine what equipment you take. I would not feel bad taking any modern digicam on a hike and most should last a good week with just a spare battery change or two. You will need to have some cleaning methods with you for the camera lens and something for the sensor if taking an SLR.

But I would rather take more food than more camera equipment. It's hard to enjoy life when you are tired and hungry mwink.gif.

And bring a pillow. Nothing ruins a nights sleep like not having your head supported properly.

Depending on how often you hike, bring moleskin and put it on at the first and slightest hint of blister.

I just visited the Campmor store in New Jersey for the first time on Monday. Sweet store, and huge. Kind of like the big REI stores but a little less formal. Leaning more toward the A16 store in San Diego but without A16's atmosphere.

Thanks Shay! Lotsa good stuff here.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    As for me, my limit is 11 or 12 pounds tops. But I'm small, weak and old. rolleyes1.gif

Hi David,

I hear you. I've had 2 heart attacks (angioplasty with 2 stents and then open-heart last Oct.), a stroke, got hit by a car while I was crossing the street (broken leg), and some fairly bad back problems.

My true backpacking days are probably over, but I still do limited hiking and walking.

I'm sooo glad for the modern technologies available to lighten the load nowadays.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    My advice is to not forget things. My own experience on my last major hike was that my camera was safe and warm....in my driveway. I was hours away and not able to return for it. So, no shots. I really regretted it...but less now that I'm planning a return trip to the same location...with family members in tow. They've heard the stories and are willing to come along. It's the Trinity Alps in California....high mountains west of Redding, CA. Destination are mountain lakes high at the peaks.

So, a checklist....derive it from the conversations here. Make it dummy-proof so you don't repeat my bonehead mistake. Man, I can recall the exact moment setting my camera bag down to help a buddy lift his pack into the truck.

I think I'd insist on a tripod. Need that help to make photos as sharp as possible. I strap at least a mini pod to my bag at all times. It was mentioned to add a tripod screw to the top of the hiking staff...I'll get to that one! you can always tie a string to your camera and let the end drop to the ground...step on it and pull the string tight...poorest man's monopod. At least it eliminates vertical movement.

I hear Philmont will be 50-80 miles in two weeks. That's not a bad pace, but I don't want "spare parts" to make it a drudge. Need to have lots of energy for activities. Us old men need so much more than boys. New Mexico should be quite toasty in July. I'll scale all of my gear down in size. I'll choose this time to take what I calculate I'll need and not extra. Making the effort to conserve while on the trail will be my concern.

Oh yea, not using the digital display on the camera will greatly conserve my power too.

Tomorrow it's a 10 miler through the redwoods and and the rain with the troop. Tomorrow night is a cub pack crossover ceremony. I don't mind these many years of work for the scouts...my trooper will be soon to discover women-folk and rock-and-roll.

Think I'll subscribe to this thread.

Doug,

Great story. Great advice.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i've got a monopod, but my biggest thing is what should i take... and should i even take my camera?ne_nau.gif i really wanna take it, i think i could get some sweet photos. but at what risk? it'll be 67 miles in 11 days, where am i gonna put it? the monopod can work as a walking stick, i supposed i could just leave my camear there, or keep it slung around my neck. but then should i take any spare lenses? or just buy a 17-40 and keep it on there with a protective filter. i'll probably buy a couple more batteries to keep. so i'll end up just having the camera, 17-40, and about 5 batteries. ne_nau.gif i have yet to go out and buy all of my camping gear i'll need. so i guess i'll be able to figure weight into the equation once i get my stuff, and then i'll decide if i have enough room even to take it. plastic bags will be a must to keep my stuff in when not using it to fend off water. and i'll be sure to get a bag that has a rain-fly.

this will be my first major hiking/camping trip. am i missing anything? oh yeah, and we can't tie anything to the trees or else we get fined i think 200 dollars. but we have to hang bear-bags, which i guarrantee my camera will be in every night. about 4 years ago we had a kid that had cheetos in his tent and a bear came up in the night and gave him a couple swipes across the face/behind the ear.:uhoh i think it came to 140 stitches.

Daniel,

I guess you are the only one to make the decision about taking your camera. You have to balance the actual purpose of the trip and what you "need" to accomplish, with what you "want" to do.

11 days without an electrical outlet could be a major problem for instance. How many spare batteries would be required and could you depend on them to go the distance?

If it were me, I would do some "tuneup" hikes. Maybe a day or two to help determine what's practical and do-able. You might find your wishes considerably changed after something like that.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    Since you mentioned bears... Once up by Mammoth mountain, I was backpacking, and we were advised not to use trees. So we found a 25 foot cliff, and a big rock at the top. We counterweighted all of our bags, and slung them over the cliff during the night. And around midnight a bear found a piece of fruitcake or something in one of the hikers bags. It was his day bag, so he had it just outside his tent. The bear tore open the bag, and munched on the bread - but woke a few of us up. Who in turn woke up our whole camp. We then gathered, and were startled at the sound of pots and pans falling to the floor below the cliff. We ran over, and fended off the bear (Throwing rocks and yelling) While I wouldn't advise this it saved our bags / food.

The bear had climbed up about 5 feet up the cliff, and took a swipe at some of the bags, ripping them open and knocking their contents down. We returned to sleep around 3:00 am, and were again woken up at 4:00 to the sound of more pans hitting the floor. We went to the bottom of the cliff, but didn't see anything - not even our bags. The bear had pulled them up from the top of the cliff - and ripped the remainder of them open, and had finished off almost an entire jar of jelly. (Irrisistable to him)

Anyway - long story short - I wouldn't keep my camera next to my food. Especially if I new bears were probable or a possibility. If the bear is determined enough, he'll get to the food and possibly damage your camera. Additionally - I woulud have wanted a camera to snap a picture if I had dared (Again not advised... but just a thought)

Jamoke,

Great story, and I'm glad it had a (mostly) happy ending. Good advice.

I used to solo out in the Rockies. I always went in the winter, partly because of the bears. They might come out in the winter, but they're kinda sluggish and I never had a problem.

My personal weather record was -15F, 70 mile-an-hour winds, at around 12,000 feet or so, in a two-man 5x7 tent. I got caught in the first storm of the season, and underestimated it's fury. It was pretty dang stupid and I'm lucky to be alive. I had good equipment, and that made the difference.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Ziggy wrote,

I've had 2 heart attacks (angioplasty with 2 stents and then open-heart last Oct.), a stroke, got hit by a car while I was crossing the street (broken leg), and some fairly bad back problems.
    Wow! Might want to stay home and use a webcam...

Seriously, I haven't had heart trouble, but my back is in pretty bad shape, and I've some other health concerns that keep me from straying too far from home, as well. I definetly understand your concern. It's amazing how much 10-15lbs can feel like, after a few miles.

My suggestion might balk a few people, but in your case, a digicam like the Fuji S9000 might serve you very well. It's light, has a 28mm to 300mm zoom range, and accepts filters. Also, DXO just added the camera to its line-up of supported digicams (meaning you need not worry about lens distortion, CA and fringing)

I say keep it light, but definetly go for it!

Take care and good luck...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...