Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    q about external drives
    Hi folks,

I have two external drives connected to my macbook. Before I turn off the laptop I eject each drive. Is this the proper procedure? I turned off the laptop without ejecting one of the external drives and a warning message popped up.

Thanks,

Seamus.

ps, I got a set of bose external speakers, excellent kit.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    I have two external drives connected to my macbook. Before I turn off the laptop I eject each drive. Is this the proper procedure? I turned off the laptop without ejecting one of the external drives and a warning message popped up.

Do you mean "turn off" or "sleep"? If you close the lid to put it to sleep, the drives remain mounted and disconnecting them without waking the thing up and unmounting them is a bad idea. If you shut it down then it will umount them itself as a matter of course during shutdown.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    The Aqua version of NeoOffice is available for download now. I am downloading a copy now, 118mb for the PowerPC version.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    Do you mean "turn off" or "sleep"? If you close the lid to put it to sleep, the drives remain mounted and disconnecting them without waking the thing up and unmounting them is a bad idea. If you shut it down then it will umount them itself as a matter of course during shutdown.

That's the difference..... sleep v shutdown. thanks.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Can anyone tell me the difference in having 4x1gb vs 2x2gb or even 8x512mb - are there perceivable performance issues? Oh and the part about all the slots being used up, I get that. But other than that, does 4gb made up of 4x1gb sticks perform differently than 4gb made up of 8x512mb sticks?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Can anyone tell me the difference in having 4x1gb vs 2x2gb or even 8x512mb - are there perceivable performance issues? Oh and the part about all the slots being used up, I get that. But other than that, does 4gb made up of 4x1gb sticks perform differently than 4gb made up of 8x512mb sticks?
    AFAIK it should be exactly the same assuming all the ramx0r0z have the same specs. Meaning if the 4x1gb is the same type of ram as the 8x512mb then you'll not notice a difference.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I read an esoteric post a week ago claiming that 4x1 made more efficient use of the computer. Not sure that it made any difference to everyday use, tho.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I read an esoteric post a week ago claiming that 4x1 made more efficient use of the computer. Not sure that it made any difference to everyday use, tho.
    What I've found basically says that if you're splitting atoms, that it might make a difference. But for everyday Photoshop usage, it wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    What I've found basically says that if you're splitting atoms, that it might make a difference. But for everyday Photoshop usage, it wouldn't.
    Let's revisit the rationale for your upgrade, shall we? deal.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    So I don't know how many people are interested in this. I've got the inclination to learn php and mysql so I really wanted to be able to set up my MBP so it would run apache, php, and mysql so I wouldn't have to run all my learning crapola through my dreamhost account. So what I did was to first read and follow this, and then I read and followed this. There is a third part to the article about how to actually enable php; however, after I did it I decided that I wanted to use php5 instead of the default php4 and I learned on the php5 download site that I had to undo all the steps in the 3rd part before I could install php5. 11doh.gif Installing php5 was actually crazy easy in and of itself and if you want to do that you can do so here but only after you follow the steps in the first and second parts above. Then to install mysql go here. You'll be up and running with a LAMP setup (or at least an AMP setup) in no time.

Then once you want to start learning php (if that's what floats your boat) you can go here.

So far it's pretty easy, but I can see how it could get rather complex.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    firefox 2.0 to become teh sekkkkkkssss

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So I don't know how many people are interested in this.....

The only part I don't understand is why I would want to install yoursql. headscratch.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The only part I don't understand is why I would want to install yoursql. headscratch.gif
    lol3.gif

• Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Geek attack. :bluduh
    Sid.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Mike, thanks for putting all those links & info into one place. I'd been wanting to do that too but was too busy (lazy) to dig around for all the details.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 31, 2006
    Here's a DOF calculator for the dashboard.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    how's that for timing, Mike? I just came across this: ISP in a Box v2. :):
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    how's that for timing, Mike? I just came across this: ISP in a Box v2. :):
    Hey now that looks interesting. I may supplement what I've already done with that. I may have to back track some though. 11doh.gif I know, for instance that my php5 installation was for apache 1.3 whereas your article is calling for apache2. Oh well, if I can serve this up over the internets, that'd be much cooler anyhow.

Good find thumb.gif

• Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Crossover Mac is available in Public Beta. It allows you to run many Windows applications from within OSX without the need to install Windows.

(Intel Macs only!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Crossover Mac is available in Public Beta. It allows you to run many Windows applications from within OSX without the need to install Windows.

(Intel Macs only!)

IE6 installed on my Mac Pro, no Parallels, no Boot Camp
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Very cool. I'm right now working on a way to get a more current version of IE6. I'll post my results if I'm successful.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Very cool. I'm right now working on a way to get a more current version of IE6. I'll post my results if I'm successful.
    yah this version looks old?
    And, I can't get it to fetch images from another website (like when I'm on SmugMug, it won't get the amazon images).
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    My 30 day trial of Spam Sieve expired today, so I ponied up to pay for it. It's been working great, and keeps a much better lid on my spam than the built in Junk filter in Mail.

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    yah this version looks old?
    And, I can't get it to fetch images from another website (like when I'm on SmugMug, it won't get the amazon images).
    I can't for the life of me get IE6 to work in an XP bottle. I install it, and it indicates that it is installed but it is nowhere to be found eek7.gifwxwax

I may post to their forum to see if it's just me being retarted. But for now I have to give a big thumbs down to CrossOver Mac.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    David Letterman's Tribute to Bill Gates.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ...but it's not the latest IE6 and Mike hasn't yet figured out how to get that :D
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:

:nah
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Props to Atomic Bird, Macaroni
    Mike Lane wrote:

I paid for Macaroni on my Powerbook (now wiped and sold). I couldn't find the license key, wrote them, and they got me a new one no q's asked. And, it's universal binary now, too deal.gif
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    i have one last question concerning the Mac Pro.
    with my discount, i can get from apple a 250GB for $184 and a 500GB for 368. then should i get apple's HDD or should i buy them separatedly. say, from eBay? and why?
    (im not very good at computer, so i'm afraid it has the similar issue of incompatibility like with the ram - although i see there are quite a few deals on ebay that're much less than the above prices)
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus