Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Crucial has me as a customer for life. They rang me up today, asking me if I wouldn't mind terribly, switching from the original RAM, to the new RAW, with Apple-approved heat-sinks? Their mistake, no problem, sure the new ram is more but that's ok we'll do it all for the same $$. Here's your new order #, the new ram will be at your door in a couple days, and here's an RMA *and* a UPS return label, please send us back the old ram. No problem that it's in your computer.

Have a nice day!

New RAM here, and installed.

The heatsinks are VISIBLY huger.

Apple Certified RAM: FULLYBUFFERED-AP240-pinDIMM.gif

memorym.jpg
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Andy, what about Crossover that you didn't like?

I was going to show someone else that app but after seeing that you trashed it, I'm hesitant. Just wondering what you thought of it.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Andy, what about Crossover that you didn't like?

I was going to show someone else that app but after seeing that you trashed it, I'm hesitant. Just wondering what you thought of it.
    I'm sure it's great for many apps. I *only* need Win for IE6 (for website dev work and testing) so I was hopeful that it would run real IE6 like on XP2. But no... so I ditched it. I have Parallels and run XP2 and IE6 in a virtual machine on my Intel Macs.
  • Options
    CipherCipher Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    I Can't Afford To Stay here!!
    Digital Grin is costing me way to much money. I have been following this Mac thread a little and combined with being toatly frustrated with Microsoft and Windows I have jumped to the "Darkside." I bought a MacPro and a 30" HD monitor today. I am playing with the Mac now but the monitor won't be here for a couple of weeks.

I am having to learn a computer all over, more or less. I have been on WinTel platforms since DOS 2.11 and had a 18 year career as a Windows system fabricator and LAN manager. I have hand assembled and configured over a 1000 Microsoft based PCs and except for a little Unix knowledge that helps on the Mac I am a complete novice again.

But I am loving every minute of it, well for the past 4 or 5 hours that I have had it anyway.

This thread is invaluable in helping get started, Keep it coming!

Andy clap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Cipher wrote:
    Digital Grin is costing me way to much money. I have been following this Mac thread a little and combined with being toatly frustrated with Microsoft and Windows I have jumped to the "Darkside." I bought a MacPro and a 30" HD monitor today. I am playing with the Mac now but the monitor won't be here for a couple of weeks.

I am having to learn a computer all over, more or less. I have been on WinTel platforms since DOS 2.11 and had a 18 year career as a Windows system fabricator and LAN manager. I have hand assembled and configured over a 1000 Microsoft based PCs and except for a little Unix knowledge that helps on the Mac I am a complete novice again.

But I am loving every minute of it, well for the past 4 or 5 hours that I have had it anyway.

This thread is invaluable in helping get started, Keep it coming!

Andy clap.gifclap

clap.gif and wave.gif WELCOME to the enlightened computing world :D

We're happy to offer LIFETIME tech support. Holler anytime you need anything deal.gif

Enjoy your new Mac Pro!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    to Macaroni. So I used it to clear all my localizations files. What's the point, I don't speak anything but english anyhow. Once I did that the log told me this at the bottom:

Ditto: Localization cleaning complete.
    Removed 273168 files and 68074 directories to save 3132.58 MB.

That's a lot of 0s and 1s lol3.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ditto: Localization cleaning complete.
    Removed 273168 files and 68074 directories to save 3132.58 MB.

That's a lot of 0s and 1s lol3.gif

I set Macaroni to delete localization monthly. That way if some localization sneaks in on an update to the OS, then it doesn't stick around too long.

Macaroni is awesome. Set it and forget it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I set Macaroni to delete localization monthly. That way if some localization sneaks in on an update to the OS, then it doesn't stick around too long.
    I find Monolingual works well for me in releasing the disk space consumed by irrelevant localisations - and it's freeware. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2006
    I find Monolingual works well for me in releasing the disk space consumed by irrelevant localisations - and it's freeware. mwink.gif

Yabbut Macaroni runs on a schedule you set, and it runs the daily, weekly and monthly crons along with repairing permissions, all in the background, all on a schedule you set and all for $9. Close enough to freeware for me. Great app.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    That's why I use it too. Not having to remember to run those jobs is worth $9 to me. $9 to make my Mac essentially maintenance-free. All I have to do is enjoy my machine (well...and make regular backups).

And chuckle the next time I hear a Windows friend look at the calendar and mutter that it's time to defrag again, or reimage the Windows boot disk again...
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    Questions for the Gurus
    1. Is there a way to map the "Control" key on one of the auxillary buttons on the Mac Pro mouse?

2. Is there any way to sort the entries in the Safari bookmarks without having to drag and dropeach entry?

3. Is there any backup software native to OS X?

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    Cipher wrote:
    1. Is there a way to map the "Control" key on one of the auxillary buttons on the Mac Pro mouse?

2. Is there any way to sort the entries in the Safari bookmarks without having to drag and dropeach entry?

3. Is there any backup software native to OS X?

Thanks for your time.

I don't have my Mighty Mouse hooked up right now, so I can't answer #1.

2) Make a folder in the finder. Drag the bookmarks to that folder, which should alphabetize them. Then drag them back into Safari. Not the best answer, but it works!

3) My favorite backup software is SuperDuper. Check versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for more options.

EDIT: I'm not the only one that loves SuperDuper!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited September 3, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    And chuckle the next time I hear a Windows friend look at the calendar and mutter that it's time to defrag again, or reimage the Windows boot disk again...

So your friend doesn't know about Windows schedule tools? lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I....

3) My favorite backup software is SuperDuper. Check versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for more options.

EDIT: I'm not the only one that loves SuperDuper!

Thanks, I'll look for it.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    Cipher wrote:
    Thanks, I'll look for it.

Look for it?!?!?!!?

I gave you the link! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    re backup, another option is SilverKeeper. It's free, and does a nice job backing up my data & pictures to an external HD. I've not explored all the various backup options out there, but it works for my purposes.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2006
    I downloaded NeoOffice 2 beta 3, and....meh. I'm no fan of Microsoft Office, but to me the price is worth the improvement over NeoOffice.

One big downside is that you're getting something modeled after the PC version of Office, which a big step backward, IMO.

I have some docs that I need to use a merge feature for. It's a 80 page manual that gets updated on a regular basis, so we've got the info that updates in a data source. Ugh...the PC approach to merging is so frickin' convoluted, frustrating and just downright stupid. I MUCH prefer the Mac version there. I finally gave up, BTW.

So there's that, and most likely for 90% of what you do, the PC vs. Mac approach doesn't really matter.

The other thing I noticed is that it's a bit slow, and the way it redraws windows as you resize them is....ugly.

I suppose if you're a switcher and you're used to the PC approach, it might be a fine option that could save you some change. But the Mac version of Office is a better bet, IMO. Even though it's one of my least stable apps, it's not yet Universal Binary, etc.

Now, if you don't need complete Office compatibility, definitely check out Pages.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    Apple just ROCKS!
    I love buying from the Apple Store. Last week I ordered a new intel mac mini for my wife & kid. Well, they announced new models today, and so they automatically gave me the newer, faster model, and sent me a love note saying I'd also be getting a $45 refund, the price is actually lower :D

clap.gif Apple customer service
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    i thought they only announced the new 24" iMac.
    there's a new Mac mini too?
    is there anything new about the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro? i heard there's something about "Merom" but i dont really know what it is
    Andy wrote:
    I love buying from the Apple Store. Last week I ordered a new intel mac mini for my wife & kid. Well, they announced new models today, and so they automatically gave me the newer, faster model, and sent me a love note saying I'd also be getting a $45 refund, the price is actually lower :D

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    phuong wrote:
    i thought they only announced the new 24" iMac.
    there's a new Mac mini too?
    is there anything new about the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro? i heard there's something about "Merom" but i dont really know what it is
    Mac Pro has been released and uses the Xeon processor. There are rumors about the MacBook Pro being updated to use the Intel Merom processor (a mobile version of the Xeon as I understand it), but no official words.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Mac Pro has been released and uses the Xeon processor. There are rumors about the MacBook Pro being updated to use the Intel Merom processor (a mobile version of the Xeon as I understand it), but no official words.
    I get the sense that Merom in the Macbook Pro is a given. However, no word on expanding the memory. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    The new iMacs sport the 64bit Merom processor.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I get the sense that Merom in the Macbook Pro is a given. However, no word on expanding the memory. :cry

Yeah, that "memrom" will also be called Intel Core 2 Duo when it appears in notebooks. It's what you want. Benchmarks at about 40% faster than Core Duos at the same clock. Supposed to be quite a bit cooler (better battery life and won't make your lap sweat as much.)

It can't be very far off. It makes sense that Apple would put them in iMacs first (hadn't thought of that), but these have cooling issues and obviously Apple is trying to pitch them at higher end applications than previously.

I think when there is a 17" MacBook with Core 2 Duo, I won't be able to resist anymore. Anyone interested in at 1.67GHz PowerBook with 2GB?

The trigger event for a desktop upgrade, though, is going to be Photoshop CS3. I'm just not waiting for my 2.5GHz G5x2 very much at all.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Apple still has a special event on Sept. 12th, most likely movies on iTunes and a new iPod Nano is the rumors. But perhaps that is when they'll introduce the updated laptops?

Man oh man...that 24" iMac looks sweet!
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I agree 100% They certainly made a lifetime customer out of me when they took back my G5, and sent out a Mac Pro!

Now I am looking at the Macbook Pro's to replace my current notebook PC. The only thing holding me back, is I have never seen a Macbooks display screen. My current PC is a Sharp AL-27, with a LCD display that is VERY BRIGHT. That was the main purpose of buying this particular model, as I do a slideshow at wedding receptions on my notebook.... Anyway, can anyone describe the brightness of the Macbook?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    I agree 100% They certainly made a lifetime customer out of me when they took back my G5, and sent out a Mac Pro!

Now I am looking at the Macbook Pro's to replace my current notebook PC. The only thing holding me back, is I have never seen a Macbooks display screen. My current PC is a Sharp AL-27, with a LCD display that is VERY BRIGHT. That was the main purpose of buying this particular model, as I do a slideshow at wedding receptions on my notebook.... Anyway, can anyone describe the brightness of the Macbook?

I'm not gonna comment on the screen, because I don't really compare it. But I will say that if you're thinking about buying, wait. They should be releasing the new goodness very soon.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Look for it?!?!?!!?

I gave you the link! :D

Sorry, How about look "at" it. :):
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    re backup, another option is SilverKeeper. It's free, and does a nice job backing up my data & pictures to an external HD. I've not explored all the various backup options out there, but it works for my purposes.

Thanks, I have downloaded it and will take a look at it.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    Mac Help Needed
    Still trying to get used to the Mac way of doing things and I have a couple of new questions.

headscratch.gifscratch On WinTel I regularly would click and drag over some text mixed with pictures such as some of the online tutorials here. Once the text and pictures were highlighted I would "copy and "paste" in to MS Word. This would give me a Word documents with text and pictures pretty much exactly as I saw it online.

Using Mac Office 2004 this does not seem to work. Only the text gets pasted into the Mac Word document. This holds true with TextEdit and Melle. Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible on a MAC.

Also still looking for a way to evoke the "Control Key" via a "right click"

Thanks again for all help received.

Andy
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm not gonna comment on the screen, because I don't really compare it. But I will say that if you're thinking about buying, wait. They should be releasing the new goodness very soon.

Thanks David, I was planning the purchase for spring time anyway... This wedding season is almost over, and my photo budget will be severly limited with no more wedding work...
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix