Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Patch,
    patch29 wrote:
    Adobe released a Bridge CS3 Beta 2, info at robgalbraith.com

Thanks for the info!

I downloaded, installed and played with it a little.
    Bottomline: great improvement!clap.gif
    • Feels *much* faster and more responsive
    • Dual monitor support works as promised (via new Sync Window)
    • Love the keyboard shortcut for Reject, feature finally became useful
    • Flat view is awesome, truly great feature!
    • Larger thumbs (upto 640) can be very useful sometimes
    WTG, Adobe! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    [*]Dual monitor support works as promised (via new Sync Window)
    [*]Larger thumbs (upto 640) can be very useful sometimes

I have not had a chance to try it out yet, but those are two features I want to check out. I did a quick check after I installed it and the problems I was having with the loupe seem to be fixed. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    This might be a stupid question, but everything I've seen so far indicates that the new Bridge and Camera Raw for CS3 will basically have the same functionality, if not better, than Lightroom. If so, what's the big deal with Lightroom? A lot of serious photographers are saying Lightroom is the new tool to have, but if you are spending money on the whole suite, why would you need it?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Brett,
    This might be a stupid question, but everything I've seen so far indicates that the new Bridge and Camera Raw for CS3 will basically have the same functionality, if not better, than Lightroom. If so, what's the big deal with Lightroom? A lot of serious photographers are saying Lightroom is the new tool to have, but if you are spending money on the whole suite, why would you need it?

Adobe definitely "borrowed" some ideas from the Lightroom experience. I can clearly see those ideas making their way into various parts of the CS3.

If the things go the way they are going now, I'm gonna get CS3 and not LR (if there will be any LR left at all after CS3 ships).

Just my two cents...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Adobe definitely "borrowed" some ideas from the Lightroom experience. I can clearly see those ideas making their way into various parts of the CS3.

If the things go the way they are going now, I'm gonna get CS3 and not LR (if there will be any LR left at all after CS3 ships).

Just my two cents...

It would make logical sense for CS3 to be a superset of Lightroom. They could then have Elements, Lightroom, CS3 as a three tier product line. It does appear to be for sure that all ACR functionality in Lightroom will be in Bridge.

What about the keyword indexing, contact sheet printing and slideshow functionality in Lightroom. Are there any signs that that's going to be in Bridge?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Just my two cents...
    Interestingly I have made this point in couple of forms I subscribe to and about all anyone can say is that Lightroom is a 'one-stop-shop' - which of course it isn't - certainly in it's current state of progress.

The develop module in Lightroom is great; but there again, the latest iteration of ACR covers most of the features just as well. I would guess that many people use some form of DAM software such as IDImager, etc. which are dedicated to the task and offer much greater sophistication. And even if the print capabilities of Photoshop are insufficient for anybody, then there are some excellent programs around to handle this; I personally use QImage (which is only PC I think) and again, a program which is dedicated to it's task.

It is perfectly feasible to create an efficient workflow using two or three pieces of software such as those noted above, with the added advantage of the flexibility to choose the component parts to suit a particular set of needs.

Anthony.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    I have downloaded it. I am most impressed with the esthetics of the bridge and am overwhelmed with RAW.

I read about it, first, in Photoshop User magazine, so I have read that article.

Does anyone know of a good book out on CS3, yet. None by Scott Kelby:cry .

ginger (who spends more on books.................than anything, I think, other than actual photo equipment)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Just a question about CS3, does anyone know if Photoshop can use the GPU on a Vista machine? I'm running XP Pro, and int he Preformance tab under Preferences it says that No GPU options are available on Windows XP with Photoshop. Is this just because Windows XP interface doesn't use the GPU and Vista's interface does?

Overall I'm loving the new CS3 Beta. I was trying to decide if Lightroom was something I wanted to try to add to my workflow, but since I have been using this and reading about others experiences with CS3 I've decided to just go this route. Can't wait to see what their final product looks like!!
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Sigh... if only it had Lightroom style cropping, it would be perfect. Now that I'm used to the way Lightroom does this, it's difficult to live without it. Otherwise I can do without, I'm much more aware of its limitations since I've started reading Dan Margulis.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007

My take on it is that it fills a market void for Adobe. If you don't want to spend $600 on Photoshop, what do you buy? Elements isn't quite enough. Aperture, LightZone, Nikon Capture, and other competitors exist in the middle. Adobe probably decided that they should have a presence in the middle, too. I'm glad Lightroom exists, but I might stick with CS3 too since I need it anyway.

On the higher end, even those with Photoshop may prefer the streamlining of three programs into Lightroom, and if a pro makes enough money from their work, streamlining daily tasks for $199 could pay for itself very quickly. There are plenty of threads on this board talking about picking up all kinds of gear that cost much more than $199 (bodies, lenses, flashes). For that crowd, $199 (or even the regular $299) is an easier decision.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Having asked the same question, my take is that Lightroom is a logistics tool.

If you have lots of shots to process, it's easier to use Lightroom to wrangle them than it is Photoshop.

I, however, have relatively few keepers. So I can't see a need for it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Having asked the same question, my take is that Lightroom is a logistics tool.

If you have lots of shots to process, it's easier to use Lightroom to wrangle them than it is Photoshop.

I, however, have relatively few keepers. So I can't see a need for it.

Plus many people already have dedicated DAM systems such as IVMP or IdImager that are much more flexible and robust that Lightroom's DAM features. I don't think Lightroom has heirarchal (sp?) keywords or anything. So for me it will still be easier to use my DAM program and CS3 ACR.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Book for CS3 Beta: I ordered from Amazon, yesterday, and received, today, an inexpensive little book called "Photoshop CS3 Beta" (first look) by Ben Long.
    Glancing through it, I have learned some of the obvious things already. Most of you would not need this book, I am sure, but for people like me, it looks to be a very important tool. Only 114 pages, but lots of info for the likes of me.

Just thought I would share that. I can't do a review on the book, as I don't "read" these books, I use them as needed. Just glancing at the part on the "new" Curves, I have learned things to use right there.

It is something like 13.00, well worth it, IMO. Unless, of course, you don't need this kind of thing.

ginger
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Question re bridge update
    how does one know that it is installed correctly?? I think I installed it, AFTER installing CS3, but I don't know.
    What would I look for? What does it do so that I could look to see if it does that, or any other suggestions?

Plus, the screen on the RAW part, it is too big for my 19" monitor. I cannot find any way to adjust the size. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    What happens is that the bottom of the screen is below my thing on the bottom of my computer with Start and everything on it, so I have to maneuver the RAW screen around dramatically, after my work on it is finished, so I can move the photo into photoshop.

Does anyone understand these questions? Does anyone have a suggestion, or suggestions?

ginger
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Plus, the screen on the RAW part, it is too big for my 19" monitor. I cannot find any way to adjust the size. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    What happens is that the bottom of the screen is below my thing on the bottom of my computer with Start and everything on it, so I have to maneuver the RAW screen around dramatically, after my work on it is finished, so I can move the photo into photoshop.ginger
    What screen resolution is your video card set to? You can right click on your desktop, choose properties and select the Settings tab to see your current screen resolution.

ACR requires at least [SIZE=-1]1024 x 768 screen resolution.[/SIZE]
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Thanks, John. I don't know what a video card is, but I followed your instructions by rt clicking on the desk top.

My screen resolution was/is set to 1024 X 768. The color quality was set to the highest at 32 bit. And the dpi was set to "normal" at 96dpi.

I raised the screen resolution to 1280 X 720, and that did not work out, so I put it back where it had been at 1024 X 768.

What would you suggest I set those numbers to? I thought it was better to ask then to mess it up totally.

Thanks, ginger

on the plus side, I think that update is downloaded and installed, it is just the size of that screen that is not right.

I have a relatively new 19" LCD monitor.
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Well, here is my take on it...

I've been running the PSE-5 / Lightroom combo - and it works well for what I do. Sometimes I have the time to really pour myself into 1 or 2 photo's, but most times I need the ability to organize and "triage" 100-200 photo's in a shoot.

With alot of practice, a lot of study, and a lot of reading I've been able to get my shot ratio to about 7 out of 10. That means a LOT of photo's that could will work if given a small tweak. After that I'm comparing and choosing. That means a lot more time in something like LR.

Using Scott Kelby's PSE-5 book, I've been able to do most of what CS2 could do for me. It's frustrating not to have access to CMYK - but I can usually suffer through RGB and get it right.

LR is a real boon to my productivity, and more then enough tool for 80% of my work. PSE covers another 10% - and I'm left contemplating that last 10% I could get from Photoshop CS2. (Usually watching advanced selection crops and LAB and CMYK color corrections on tricky frames get's me drooling...)

That's the nitch it fills for me. Now, I'm quickly pushing the limits of what PSE is doing for, especially since I've starting to work with photo restoration. But since I already had a copy of PSE-5, I just couldn't justify full blown Photoshop.

I've got an old copy of Photoshop 6 - so I'm sure that Adobe will woo me to the upgrade dark side soon. But from a Mac point of view, LR was a boon after suffering under Apature. I love going portable with the Mac now that I've got LR - I can do really quick "in front of the client" corrections that left this little MacBook beggin' for mercy under Apature. Adobe really dropped LR into a good nitch, IMHO.

Giving their Beta users (under and OPEN Beta no less!!!) a $100 discount really has also made me happy with them. I think they did a great job with this program, all around.
    --Kres
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    The one photoshop/bridge plugin that I use that basically emulates lightroom is RapidFixer. This is a plugin that adds Camera Raw controls to Bridge. So you can quickly and easily preform various tweaks from Bridge. Then anything further you need to do you can open the shot in ACR. For me this takes the place of Lightroom. Since I already have a DAM, the only real thing I would get out of LR is the quick tweaks to files. This program fills that void for me without having one more program to worry about.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    Side by side w magnifier....................oh, heavenly days!!!! ginger
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    As an upgrade from CS2, what do you all think we are looking at as far as cost once this comes out for "sale" and "real".

ginger (need to put that money aside)

After three extra hours on the computer, I think I figured that out.
    I might have figured out how to make that screen fit, but am not sure.
    Will update this if it works. There is an adjustment on my monitor.

That did not work!!! Just did a number on another screen.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I don't think Lightroom has heirarchal (sp?) keywords or anything.
    Actually, unlike the beta releases, LR v1.0 does have hierarchal keywording. As far as keywording goes, LR can do everything Bridge 1.0 can do and more. Although, I'm sure the ultimate capability in Bridge 2.0 will match LR.
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Any new on the real release for CS3?
    I have an envelope full of savings $$ that I am just waiting to spend on CS3.
    Any updated news on the actual release dtate for CS3?

Michael

BenA2 wrote:
    Actually, unlike the beta releases, LR v1.0 does have hierarchal keywording. As far as keywording goes, LR can do everything Bridge 1.0 can do and more. Although, I'm sure the ultimate capability in Bridge 2.0 will match LR.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Side by side w magnifier....................oh, heavenly days!!!! ginger

How do you do this?
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Preview in Bridge doesn't seem to work for me. No image shows up. Anyone else having this problem? ACR works just fine.

Erich
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    Erich,
    erich6 wrote:
    Preview in Bridge doesn't seem to work for me. No image shows up. Anyone else having this problem? ACR works just fine.

Erich

2d version of the Bridge does have this problem - preview does not work upon load UNTIL you move the slider and change its size ever so small. Once it's done, it will work until the app terminates.

HTH
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    I love the photoshop................and I would love the Bridge. I am going to have to go back to CS2, I guess, and wait for the release of the official upgrade.
    The Bridge is deteriorating every day. Been fighting it all night. I still love working with it, especially that magnifying glass thingy, but it shuts down constantly. Tells me to get rid of the word scripts in files that aren't there.
    Told me something else tonight. Too tired to worry about it.
    It is great, my Bridge just has major bugs.
    On the other hand, in the Photoshop, that quick selection tool: god's gift!!

ginger
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    If you have any trouble de-installing CS3 beta, and installing the final version of CS3, you might check here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/04/23/run-the-adobecs3clean-script-before-installing-cs3
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    If you have any trouble de-installing CS3 beta, and installing the final version of CS3, you might check here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/04/23/run-the-adobecs3clean-script-before-installing-cs3

Handy link, Andy... but... even after manually deleting registry and other files in Windows, plus running the clean script-- still can't get Bridge to work properly. It actually worked in the beta version (with a couple of start up errors... but it worked!).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+