Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I think I'm gonna have a puter built for me. I have real fears about buying a branded desktop.

Why not build your own? It's easy-- I'm a total bonehead and I figured it out-- and it's been working for over a year now! There are some excellent step-by-step websites (I used a book, but could have easily used a website).

Incidentally, I use an iMac at my day job and well, let's just say my homebuilt PC can run circles around the iMac. But part of it is RAM-- the iMac only came with 512K, my PC has 2GB (and six HD's... but that's another story).

Anyway, I can't help but smile when people claim a similar mac is better than a PC or vice versa. It comes down to the user. I guarantee I can do anything on a PC just as fast and effectively as someone on a similar spec Mac-- it all comes down to what OS you are most comfortable with. Seven years now I've used a Mac at my day job, and I still hate it! But that doesn't mean Mac suck... it just means they suck for me! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    c at my day job and well, let's just say my homebuilt PC can run circles around the iMac. But part of it is RAM-- the iMac only came with 512K, my PC has 2GB (and six HD's... but that's another story).

yeah, 512 will slow down any computer, mac or pc
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Hey, I haven't tried this, but it looks cool. Do Something When does something when you do something else. Like when you eject your music drive it'll quit iTunes. Stuff like that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Is it possible to get rid of this annoying pop-up in Safari?

And David, what did you say your favorite screen grabber is currently?

136526272-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Is it possible to get rid of this annoying pop-up in Safari?

And David, what did you say your favorite screen grabber is currently?

I dunno how to disable that thing. Firefox has the same thing, but truncated. I could see how it would be annoying.

The screengrab thing you're talking about is two posts up, Sid. Use that fancy mouse of yours and scroll up! :D

Currently I use cmd-3, cmd-4 and cmd-4 spacebar, and I used SCIT to change the default file format to jpeg.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I dunno how to disable that thing. Firefox has the same thing, but truncated. I could see how it would be annoying.

The screengrab thing you're talking about is two posts up, Sid. Use that fancy mouse of yours and scroll up! :D

Currently I use cmd-3, cmd-4 and cmd-4 spacebar, and I used SCIT to change the default file format to jpeg.
    Skitch hasn't been released yet.

That would be why I used the word "currently." lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Never say never. I always say that. lol3.gif
    It'll be a cold day in hell my friend. They say that a mac with 1.5g ram is about the same as 2g in a PC is this roughly correct or bullshit ?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    It'll be a cold day in hell my friend. They say that a mac with 1.5g ram is about the same as 2g in a PC is this roughly correct or bullshit ?
    There are so many other factors that go into it that it really doesn't make sense to even compare IMO. I'm betting 1.5 or 2 gigs would satisfy most peoples' needs irrespective of system.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    There are so many other factors that go into it that it really doesn't make sense to even compare IMO. I'm betting 1.5 or 2 gigs would satisfy most peoples' needs irrespective of system.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Skitch hasn't been released yet.

That would be why I used the word "currently." lol3.gif
    It's scit and it is out. It's a one-tme tool you need to use, you chnage the "grab" default file format from png to jpg.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Waxy, for your Safari Tooltip question, it ain't easy. On second thought, you can take a look at that link, but it's probably pretty useless to you. Most likely the answer is no. I can't find a way to change that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It's scit and it is out. It's a one-tme tool you need to use, you chnage the "grab" default file format from png to jpg.
    Thanks, it didn't show on the first page of Google, I assumed it was a typo. Skitch is the wonder vaporware that's drawing raves.

I'm looking for a free image editor I can paste the screen grab into. Bummer that irfanview doesn't make a Mac version.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Waxy, for your Safari Tooltip question, it ain't easy. On second thought, you can take a look at that link, but it's probably pretty useless to you. Most likely the answer is no. I can't find a way to change that.
    Wow, good research. Yeah, that looks pretty scary.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    It'll be a cold day in hell my friend. They say that a mac with 1.5g ram is about the same as 2g in a PC is this roughly correct or b
    s ?
    BS, from what I can see. The machines are equals now, the difference is the operating system.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, it didn't show on the first page of Google, I assumed it was a typo.

I'm looking for a free image editor I can paste the screen grab into. Bummer that irfanview doesn't make a Mac version.

Live Quartz (I've never used it, and BTW, versiontracker.com is pri-tee darn useful! :D)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Live Quartz (I've never used it, and BTW, versiontracker.com is pri-tee darn useful! :D)
    thumb.gif Thanks David. Yeah, I went through versiontracker at around 1am, wasn't comfortable with what I found (am tempted to try Imagewell. Also Captureme.)
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif Thanks David. Yeah, I went through versiontracker at around 1am, wasn't comfortable with what I found (am tempted to try Imagewell.)

That's made by a friend of dgrin. I forget who posted that, but someone here said that their friend makes that app.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Summarize!
    Mac tip of the day 18 Mar 07:

"A cool feature hidden in the Services menu (for Cocoa apps only, not Microsoft apps!) is the "Summarize" function. It uses a complicated algorithm to transform a long text and summarize it into a short paragraph. I wasn't convinced this would really work at first, but after using it, it works great. There is unfortunately no keyboard shortcut but you simply have to highlight some text and choose "Summarize" in the service menu"

Does this actually work? ne_nau.gif

The guy posting thought so. Wild, could be useful.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    Mac tip of the day 18 Mar 07:

"A cool feature hidden in the Services menu (for Cocoa apps only, not Microsoft apps!) is the "Summarize" function. It uses a complicated algorithm to transform a long text and summarize it into a short paragraph. I wasn't convinced this would really work at first, but after using it, it works great. There is unfortunately no keyboard shortcut but you simply have to highlight some text and choose "Summarize" in the service menu"

Does this actually work? ne_nau.gif

The guy posting thought so. Wild, could be useful.

VI

yep!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    BS, from what I can see. The machines are equals now, the difference is the operating system.
    Why does the desktop one (20" to 24") only come with an anti-glare screen ?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Why does the desktop one (20" to 24") only come with an anti-glare screen ?
    The iMac?

Not sure, but it's not the same as the matte screen on the Mac Book Pro laptop, it looks a lot richer and better than that.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    The iMac?

Not sure, but it's not the same as the matte screen on the Mac Book Pro laptop, it looks a lot richer and better than that.

That laptop is just plain ordinary up against a LOT of PC laptops on the market as far as the screen goes...i looked at them & stopped looking 8 seconds later..yuk.

The imac was nice but if its not avail with a normal screen then its a shame as it has some rich colour that would improve a lot if it ditched that anti glare crap.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Should get Gus going!
    Interesting article here.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Rumormill cranking that a redesigned iMac is on its way. Makes sense, the design hasn't changed in years.
    Sid.
  • Options
    jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    i believe well see a core 2 duo mini first
    jm photography
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    ne_nau.gif Mebbe so.

Here's the iMac story.
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 23, 2007
    gus wrote:
    that anti glare crap.
    to each his own. I hate seeing my own reflection when I'm at the computer. the glossy screens might as well be a mirror.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    NoelimagesNoelimages Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    The Mac/Apple just looks better. It's different and impressive to my clients. rolleyes1.gif BTW, I'm a PC windows user by day. I own three pc's and a Mac Book Pro w/ 23" Monitor.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    to each his own. I hate seeing my own reflection when I'm at the computer. the glossy screens might as well be a mirror.
    Cool...i just have the other idea that if your editing photos & need anti glare then your immediate enviroment is not good for colour/hue/contrast/anything editing.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 23, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Cool...i just have the other idea that if your editing photos & need anti glare then your immediate enviroment is not good for colour/hue/contrast/anything editing.
    Very true, good graphics editors always work in a properly lit (read: dark) environment.

I can't comment on the desk jobs, but I know the glossy screen on the MacBook's is crazy reflective. Even just surfing/typing, I was really distracted by me, looking back at me. Also, even when I did put that glossy screen (my labmate lent it to me for a fully day of experience before I decided on my own, btw) in a "properly lit place" i noticed the contrast was just way too high. Really a trick to make the inexperienced viewer think "oooh ahh". Just like a point-shoot on full manual, contrast and saturation was way too high to make it pop.

My anti-glare flat MBP screen, now properly calibrated is awesome for colors. I just did my first test print the other day, and it came out as one of my best in terms of getting what I saw out of the printer.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]