Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Yes, CS3 Design Premium.

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure (though not postive) that I installed from a non-admin account, which might account for my firewall staying on?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, because I'm pretty sure (though not postive) that I installed from a non-admin account, which might account for my firewall staying on?

That could be. I just check my G5 and it was off and the settings were the same as my Macbook.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    The Apple Store is down. Lots of rumors about new Macbooks. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Macbooks received some updates, same prices better features.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Anyone know what's going on at rumor-watch.com?

It provides (provided?) a summary of all the Mac rumour sites which I found very handy for a daily checkup, but I haven't been able to connect to it for some time now. Have they shut up shop? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Does anyone know if the iMacs will be replaced/upgraded soon? I am saving up for one, but if there will be a new model released soon I'd like to wait for it..

What say ye, oh gurus of the apple!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    Does anyone know if the iMacs will be replaced/upgraded soon? I am saving up for one, but if there will be a new model released soon I'd like to wait for it..

What say ye, oh gurus of the apple!
    Here's a handy guide. Lots of rumors about an iMac upgrade.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Anyone know what's going on at rumor-watch.com?

It provides (provided?) a summary of all the Mac rumour sites which I found very handy for a daily checkup, but I haven't been able to connect to it for some time now. Have they shut up shop? ne_nau.gif

It disappeared around 27 April 2007, when the last update to it's whois registry was processed. (dunno what that update was, it likely wasn't a direct cause of it to go missing, but they happened at roughly the same time.)

The whois information points to sitelink as the owners of the domain, their site links to it still, even though it's dead. ne_nau.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    It disappeared around 27 April 2007
    :cry
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    The refurb store is jumping these days.

Mac Pro 2.66's are rare there. One showed up today. I went through the ordering process. Out of stock.

Of course, they let you go through the entire freaking process before telling you. umph.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    The refurb store is jumping these days.

Mac Pro 2.66's are rare there. One showed up today. I went through the ordering process. Out of stock.

Of course, they let you go through the entire freaking process before telling you. umph.gif
    I got mine through the refurb store

I ended up with the dual 3.0/2Gb/X1900XT and am VERY happy with my pruchase

I pondered the purchase for 2 months, and expected the model I bought to sell at any time, but it never did. I bought mine and expected the entry to disappear, but there was another on list immediately. They dont seem to list the real number available on the list, maybe as an inticement to get you to buy sooner rather than later

No problems found with my refurb so far. Loks like a brand new box. Have added 2 Gb of memory and 2 300Gb drives in a raid and its still going strong 8-)

Count this as a real vote for the refurb option :D

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Yeah, the 3.0's are always available. But rarely the 2.66, and almost never the 2.0. Wasn't always that way, but has been for a few weeks, now.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, the 3.0's are always available. But rarely the 2.66, and almost never the 2.0. Wasn't always that way, but has been for a few weeks, now.

This morning dealmac.com alerted readers to the appearance of refurb Mac Pros at all price points. It's a good site to watch if you're keeping an eye out for something. Looks like the refurb 2.0s are already gone tonight; at $1899 that's not surprising.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    This morning dealmac.com alerted readers to the appearance of refurb Mac Pros at all price points. It's a good site to watch if you're keeping an eye out for something. Looks like the refurb 2.0s are already gone tonight; at $1899 that's not surprising.
    I finally snagged a 2.66, the box is stting next to me. deal.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Congrats, my refurb 2.66 has been serving me well for months. Just added 4 more gigs 'o' RAM.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Report.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Bad blocks?
    OK, Mac gurus, let's see if you can help with this.

My son's macbook pro seems to be developing some bad blocks (maybe it always had them?) The symptom is stalls reading certain files and the system log has something like:
    May 28 11:27:36 weegee kernel[0]: disk4s2: I/O error.

Or once in a while and even more disturbing:
    May 28 21:27:06 weegee kernel[0]: jnl: write_journal_header: error writing the journal heade\

He tried for a while to do a backup (I don't know exactly how) to an external drive, but that failed every time it hit a bad block. I was able to draw on the old fashioned unix command line tool ,rsync, to backup his home tree to an external drive (with his computer mounted on mine via firewire), skipping the damaged files. Reassuringly enough, two separate runs found the same damaged files (about 300 of them.)

Neither Disk Utilities nor Disk Warrior find any problems. S.M.A.R.T. shows the disk is OK. It seems they aren't checking the media at a low enough level. I seem to remember that there are some low level tools which will do this, without erasing the media. But I don't know which of these are available on OS X (as opposed to Silicon Graphics, Sun, or Linux.)

AppleCare has been pretty unhelpful. My son went to the genius bar and they told him everything was fine. On the phone they say to backup (they don't say how) and reinstall. They will accept the computer for a mail in repair but don't promise to actually fix anything, since they don't believe anything is wrong. (This was after I talked to the guy and told him about the error messages in the system log!)

So here are my questions:
    1. Does anyone know how to do a block by block media check without completely erasing the disk?
    2. Does anyone know a way to check for bad blocks and recover as well as possible, adding to the disk's bad block list?
    3. What do we have to do to get some higher level of Apple help on this one?

Thanks in advance.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Not sure if it does exactly that, but have you tried TechTool Pro?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Rutt,

Your drive is dying. It's as simple as that. The I/O error is a dead giveaway -- there are blocks that it can't write to. Ordinarily the drive would AUTOMATICALLY hide this from the OS so the fact that it's propagating through means bad things.

Are you experiencing hanging (beachball) issues with the machine? If an I/O error occurs and the disk doesn't get back, the machine can lock up.

The problem with S.M.A.R.T. is that there are a number of pre-defined criteria which must be met for a drive to fail. These aren't simply "# of errors," but more like "# of errors in a specific time frame." So let's say a S.M.A.R.T. criteria is "if you get 15 soft errors in 20 minutes, you fail the drive." You could get 14 errors in 20 minutes, then the counter gets reset, and then 14 more in the next 20 minutes. So 28 errors, where 15 is the threshold, but it won't trigger it.

AppleCare's note of "re-install the OS" will fix the problem... for a while. Because on reinstall the bad sectors will be written around. But if you have some bit rot going on (basically, a sector on the disk is flaking off magnetic material), the problem will come back... eventually.

I went through this same issue and got the same feedback from AppleCare's Tier 1 folks. Given I know OS engineers (in fact the guy who wrote the journaling code -- I ride bicycles with him 3 or 4 times a week) I was able to pull strings, and I got a replacement drive.

Do you have AppleCare on the machine (that is, not just the standard warranty)? If so, why don't you private message me and I'll send you a phone number for AppleCare which is *supposed* to be for our higher-level business customers only. It will get you to the Tier 3 agents who should be quicker to replace this. Though because it's a laptop this will require you to send the machine in.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Dude, you're a valuable guy to have around! Great post.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Dude, you're a valuable guy to have around! Great post.

Somethin' has to pay the bills... given it's not my photography mwink.gif

Oh, and now that Don buys most of the SmugMug storage from Amazon S3 and not from us I have to go trolling for other customers and fight fires like this more often :cry
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    Pawsense equivalent for Mac? We have a new kitten and he is very tenacious. Next thing you know he'll hack into dgrin and take over from Andy.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Pawsense equivalent for Mac? We have a new kitten and he is very tenacious. Next thing you know he'll hack into dgrin and take over from Andy.

Here.

1683_500x300.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    When viewing my Activity Viewer, how can some applications use over 100% of my CPU? headscratch.gif

It is Lightroom that is spiking to 113-132% CPU on my G5 Dual 2.7. When is goes over 100% does that mean it is tapping the second processor, so I would have 200% available? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    When viewing my Activity Viewer, how can some applications use over 100% of my CPU? headscratch.gif

It is Lightroom that is spiking to 113-132% CPU on my G5 Dual 2.7. When is goes over 100% does that mean it is tapping the second processor, so I would have 200% available? ne_nau.gif

Yes. You can have 100% per CPU, so e.g. on my 8-core if an app were truly able to get absolute max concurrency, you could get 800% on it.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    You can see a test where BareFeats.com managed to get 764% CPU on an 8-core by rendering in multiple applications simultaneously, with Photoshop using 387% CPU on its own.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Thanks for the info on the CPU usage. That makes sense. 800% would be cool. thumb.gif