Options

What's your story?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    How cool!
    I hadn't seen this either but very interesting reading. I'd have to do some digging to find some colorful family photos like Andy's though.

How old are you?
    As of this posting, 38
    Where do you live? Purcellville, VA (northern VA, somewhere west of Washington DC)
    Family? Been married to my wife Liz, also a photographer, for coming up on 3 years as of this post. We'd been dating for about 7 years prior (yes, I know that's a real long time and I have no excuse ne_nau.gif ). No kids as of yet.
    How long have you been shooting? 20+ years. I say 20+ because I can't really pin point the moment I started taking photos. I had my own camera as a senior in high school which was 20 years ago (a Ricoh KR Super II, which I still own and use occasionally) but had been using whatever camera my parents allowed me to touch when I was old enough to comprehend what I was doing (read - when my parents felt I was old enough not to break one of their cameras and I think the jury is still out on that). Actually ended up with both of my parents cameras as they upgraded to much newer cameras, both 35mm, one is a Voigtlander and the other a Zeiss Ikon, still in working order. Film? I shot predominantly film up until about 3 years ago. 35 mm black and white mostly. Took the plunge with infrared (IR) film about 5 or 6 years ago because I was always fascinated by the images it produced, just couldn't ever afford the film until then. Digital? Probably would have continued to shoot predominantly film if I hadn't seen how quickly my wife's digital honeymoon photos were available compared to my film honeymoon photos. Hers were available within a few days and mine took a few months (developing time, waiting for them to uncurl enough to scan into the computer, etc.) Needless to say I was insanely jealous and it wasn't too long after that that I had a digital camera, a Nikon D50, and then very quickly had it modded to shoot IR.
    What's your favorite subject? Mostly landscapes as they lend themselves very well to IR.
    What do you do for money? Work for a Govt contractor as a finance weenie
    What other interests do you have? I play(?) golf, ski, surf, and bicycle (road) when I can (hasn't been often enough lately). I've also got a decent green thumb and am pretty handy in the kitchen. I'm also doing my part for the environment by riding my motorcycle more than driving my car :D . What can I say, it gets 45-50 mpg as opposed to the 25-30 my car gets and it's a heck of a lot more fun to ride. It's a 2005 Katana 750 for those that are curious.
  • Options
    Brighton GarishBrighton Garish Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2007
    A little tree lightener?
    My eyes would have said undersaturated trees. Pls explain why you said lighten.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited October 16, 2007
    It's a 2005 Katana 750 for those that are curious.
    You are among friends here :D

I had an 89 Katana. Lasted me nearly 10 years. Great bike. Now, it's an
    R1200 GS.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Hmmm I never posted to this thread so hmm here goes nothing....

How old are you?
    I am 29 Years old

Where do you live?
    I live in Queens, NY now, just moved there about 6 months ago

Family?
    Well for family I am working on that, just meet someone whom maybe the one to start a family with. Other than that I have one sister whom is a cook.

How long have you been shooting? Film? Digital?
    I have been shooting since my father introduced me too his old Minolta 35mm film camera when I was about 12 and I have loved it ever since. Now I have been shooting digital for about the last 6 years I think.

What's your favorite subject?
    My favorite subject is B&W photos of city scapes, landscapes, candids. But I really love shooting B&W photos of just about anything. Just something about B&W photos that I love.

What do you do for money?
    I am a Manager/Designer where I design books for a publishing company also take photographers of clients/models that we put into our books.

What other hobbies do you have?

Other hobbies I have are cars.. I am always working or customize my car with someother gadget. I also enjoy bowling (love tournaments), and computers. Also snowboarding when I can get away from work.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    You are among friends here :D

I had an 89 Katana. Lasted me nearly 10 years.

Knock on wood, hopefully mine will last that long. Just turned 18k on mine and still running smooth.
    Great bike. Now, it's an
    R1200 GS.

Definitely a nice ride. Will certainly go many more places than I'd dare take mine. :D
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    fish wrote:
    This is one of those "Tell us about yourself" threads.

Some starter questions:

How old are you?
    Where do you live?
    Family?

So what's YOUR story? ear.gif

Well, since I'm new here, I'll start with this (and then try to read some of the earlier responses when I have time).

I'm 30 years old and live in rural southern NJ. The garden spot of the Garden State. Although, I do work in Delaware as an electrical engineer. I live with my lovely wife, 2 greyhounds Zephyr and Saturn, plus 4 cats. I'll surely have pictures of them here before too long.

I've been shooting since middle school or high school a little, but got a bit more serious after I graduated from college and had some money to buy a camera. Before I used mostly cheap little 35mm cameras and even 110 a little, but nothing with any control at all. I bought a Minolta SLR kit and it served me well for a few years. Worked well for automatic shooting, but it became limiting when I wanted to take more control. I also picked up a Sony DSC-S60 back in 2001 I think. It is a good camera, but the battery doesn't hold a charge well anymore, and is only 3MP.

Anyway, I have since progressed through Minolta X series SLRs (X-370 and X-570 bodies with only prime lenses, 28, 35, 50, and 135), a Canon A-540 compact digicam (mostly used by my wife now), a Yashica T4 zoom (moslty for my wife) for a compact 35mm, and most recently a Fuji S6000fd superzoom digicam.

Favorite things to shoot are the pets and vacation shots, mostly cities in Europe, palaces, things like that. I put together a calendar with my wife last year, all shots that we took various places in France, and everyone loved it. With that and a recent trip to China, I'm getting a good selection of shots from different parts of the world. I'm getting ready to create a web gallery to show off these photos to family and friends, and whoever else wants to look.

As for other hobbies, there's woodworking. Right now, mostly limited to home improvement, but I have other ideas for the future. That's about all that I have time to do now.

It will be fun to work on the challenges here, as well as possibly some of the assignments to improve my skills and get myself out taking pictures when I'm not on vacation.

Regards,
    Jim
  • Options
    Brighton GarishBrighton Garish Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2007
    This is one of those "Tell us about yourself" threads.

Some starter questions:

How old are you? 60 something.
    Where do you live? Chamblee, GA USA. We moved here in 1980 because we assumed a 10% mortgage when interest rates were 21%.

Family? One wife, one son, no pets (like them though (all of them)).

How long have you been shooting? Film? Digital? Not counting when I was little and would push the button on the box and blind myself (JK), since 1977 when I used my Christmas bonus to buy a Minolta SRT201. (Someone else in here started with one also). After a few years, I started developing my own BW in the bathroom. Back then, C41 was 87 chemicals so I didn't try it.

I took lots of pictures for a few years AND DEVELOPED THEM OR HAD THEM DEVELOPED! Then went into a period of decline (photographically) when I took few pictures and left the undeveloped rolls lying around to decompose themselves. Then in 2005 I gathered about 52 rolls and took them to the local drug store and got them put on CDs (no prints). I bought anothed disk drive and transferred them to the "My Pictures" folder.

For Christmas 2003 I got a digital camera and took lots of pictures until I stooped (not stopped) down to pick up something while the camera was in the pocket of my tight jeans. That was just in time to get a replacement camera for Christmas 2004. I have stopped (almost) (not stooped) drooling over the latest gear and try to learn what it means to take a picture. I don't worry about taking a bad picture (see my avatar).

What's your favorite subject? Whatever's in front of the camera.

What do you do for money? Sell airline tickets over the phone.

What other hobbies do you have? Walking to and from the train station before and after work and actually taking some pictures on the way, telling stupid jokes to my captive telephone audience, keeping up with my anti-virus, anti-spam and firewall definitions. Getting in touch with my short attention span. (I have to keep starting over and over).

2007_1015SmugSelfPic0008opt3.JPG
  • Options
    STP03BluesiSTP03Bluesi Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Name is Christopher Brut
    Age - 24
    Location - St. Petersburg, FL (STP)
    Family - Married with no kids
    Shooting - For over 6 years. Just got in to DSLR
    What's your favorite subject? Automotive, mostly Drifting
    What do you do for money? Claims processor
    What other hobbies do you have? Other forums.

I am also a car tuner for Honda's. I own a 2003 Civic Si that is named Stitch. I cover just about any automotive event in the state of Fl and outside.

See you all on the track.vtec228.gif

Christopher B.
    Sorry I don't drift..but do take the photos.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    How old are you? 25
    Where do you live? New Jersey
    Family? Yep, though not married or have kids.
    How long have you been shooting? Film? Digital? I have been shooting since 2004, mainly digital.
    What's your favorite subject? Outdoors, landscape, color.
    What do you do for money? University work
    What other hobbies do you have? Research, writing, traveling, and sleeping!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Hello - my name is Lesley - 56yrs old - divorced with adult children.
    I live at Victoria Point, near Brisbane in Queensland, Australia.
    New to digital and SLR cameras - enjoying the learning curve very much.
    Love to shoot landscapes
    I work full time in administration.
    Other hobbies? bushwalking, computers, travel, taking photos with my daughter
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Hello - my name is Lesley - 56yrs old - divorced with adult children.
    I live at Victoria Point, near Brisbane in Queensland, Australia.
    New to digital and SLR cameras - enjoying the learning curve very much.
    Love to shoot landscapes
    I work full time in administration.
    Other hobbies? bushwalking, computers, travel, taking photos with my daughter
    clap.gif welcome to all the new members.

Good to see another brisvegan here hippy. I love photographing over your way with all the wind/kite surfers.
  • Options
    ShelleykShelleyk Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    How old are you?
    36 but I LOOK younger mwink.gif

Where do you live?
    Tonawanda (just outside of Buffalo NY

Family?
    Lots of it and they are slowly dying off! Laughing.gif
    Married 3 kids...

Been shootin about 5 years..Pro around 2 I shoot digital

People by far...I have a passion for portraiture
    I also like doing concert photography, I love the attention I get when I see the look on fans faces....just WISHING they were ME!! hehe!!

Usually ask my husband!!

Hmmmm
    Well I like to make holiday wreaths, I snow ski a little in winter, play tennis in summer, there is so much to do and never enough time!
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    How old are you?
    36 as well... just got carded at a bar in town

Where do you live?
    Somewhere in Northern Indiana

Family?
    wife and dog (Bichon Frise)

How long have you been shooting?
    Film?
    Mid 1990's with a Canon AE1-P with 3 lenses.
    Digital?
    2003 witha purchase of a Sony F717 and 2006 with a Canon Rebel XT

headscratch.gif
    Anything. But the wife takes more pictures of our dog. We have tons of DVD's with just dog pictures.

office manager and websites.

1966 ford Galaxie 500 sedan, playing RTCW online (=TAO=DJT), computer stuff
  • Options
    lyvuonglyvuong Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2007
    Hi, my name is Ly Vuong, got here by Google. Really! Found this site by looking around to create albums for clients and the Google's search algorithm led me here. You see, I usually hang out at UseFilm.com and life was wonderful! Until more and more of my clients want to have the photos up online the ... next day! C'mon! When I was shooting films, normally it's three weeks: the contact sheets, selecting process, re-prints/enlargements, album ... then deliver to the customer. Two weeks is really pushing it. I guess, things changed. Oh well.

Now what?

I started shooting since 1976, my first camera is a Canon Ftb. Then converted to Nikon back in 1979. I have a fairly complete, full line of mechanical Nikon cameras, yeah ... (Give this old man few seconds to brag & reminiscent, would you?) :D Then "turning digital" in 2004 with a Canon G3, and quickly enough converted to Nikon D70 in 2005.

OK. I live in Arlington, VA. Shooting on the side to fund my photo hobby. The real job income of writing programs goes into supporting the family. So, there you have it.

Alright, enough about me. Here is a question for all of you Smuggers. I'm ready to sign up with the SM. So I pulled up the form and filling it out, then when it gets to the part which says: "To receive a discount, you must enter the email address that your friend uses on SmugMug or a coupon code." headscratch.gif

"What discount?
    I can use all the discounts I can get!"
    So any Smuggers out there, who can give me the email address so that I can use to get my discount, that would be appreciated. I don't know what you going to get from SmugMug for introducing me, but I hope that's not going to be a penalty :D

Also, "what coupon code?"
    Pssst, do you have a coupon code that I can use? naughty.gif

That's all, folks.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    lyvuong wrote:

Pssst, do you have a coupon code that I can use? naughty.gif
    First of all, welcome to dgrin and smugmug. It's an awesome place! iloveyou.gif

And you can use my code: hOftRGzEzf1SB -- You will get a few bucks off and I get a few bucks too. Let me know if you have any questions.

I hope that you will have fun here!!! :ivar
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    I'm glad this thread got bumped...what a read!

Well you can see my name over there to the left, but most of my friends call me Wolcott because there are so many Jens where I work. I was born towards the end of the decade when Jennifer was the most popular name (it's the truth, lucky me... rolleyes1.gif ). So you can use that little tidbit to figure out my age...or you could look at my profile, heh.

When I was about 5 or 6, I "appropriated" my grandmother's instamatic and snapped away. I don't know what ever happened to that camera...
    In middle school and high school I "borrowed" my mom's Minolta p&s and she bought an SLR for herself. She had no idea how to use it and never used it, so I cunningly persuaded her to trade. Well, it didn't really take much cunning. Getting that SLR was when I actually started learning about shutter speeds and f-stops, etc, but I wasn't really into anything more than taking lots of pictures around my school. Sometimes to the annoyance of my friends, heh.

In college I finally bought my own camera, a Minolta Maxxum 7 that I still have, the first one to be truly mine and not liberated from another family member. I really loved playing around with that thing but since I was on my own financially (except for a BF that eventually became my DH), my film budget was limited. Now with a (very) slightly less limited budget and a digital SLR, I'm having even more fun. Don't know if photography would ever be a career for me, but if I occasionally sell a print then that would be cool. :):

Other non-crucial info?
    I've been married almost 8 years and have one old cat and one middle-aged diabetic cat. I have a degree in biology (didn't a certain well-remembered lady say something about science and art? *wink*). Work is fun...I try and hopefully sometimes succeed at teaching people about animals, the environment, and how it's all connected. It can be frustrating because sometimes people try to turn stuff like that all political with me and I don't really go for that, but it's amazing when I get letters from kids telling me I made a difference to them. Sappy, I know.

Currently I'm sitting on my couch watching Futurama and wondering how I'm still awake. I haven't gotten much sleep since last Thursday due to several birthdays close together, including mine. Damn internet addiction! :D

edit: Wow what a scare! When I hit submit I got a database error and I thought all was lost...but it's okay, the post is here. Phew!
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited October 25, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    I

Currently I'm sitting on my couch watching Futurama and wondering how I'm still awake. I haven't gotten much sleep since last Thursday due to several birthdays close together, including mine. Damn internet addiction! :D

Happy Birthday and welcome!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I suppose I should fill this out. :D

How old are you?

Where do you live?
    Wickenbuirg, Az.

Family?
    Wife at home. Stepdaughter in San Diego. Had a son. Lost him at 12 years old back in 2001. RIP Max.

My grandmother gave me my first camera when I was 5. It was a Kodak Brownie sort of thing from what I recall. When I was 13, my mom gave me a Sears branded Maymiya 35mm which I still have. In 2004 I got my first digital. It a Fuji S-5000, which is still my "utilicamera" while my primary tool is a Canon 30D I picked up last January.

Motorsports, followed closely by nature/landscape.

Computer geek for a major credit card company, but I'm not that geeky.

I've always been the one taking pictures. Some day I would like to leave the corporate world and make a living taking pictures.

S.C.
  • Options
    QueenQueen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    How old are you?

Where do you live?
    Urbana Illinois

Family?
    I've been with my partner for the last 18 years.

Film? Digital?
    I wouldn't call what I do "shooting". I have a really inexpensive digicam that I try to takes nice pictures with...my utter lack of skill and ability makes this challenging. :D

Loved ones and nature.

Library bookstacks manager.

Motorcycles, bicycling, kayaking, scuba.
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    How old are you?

Where do you live?
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Family?
    Not yet, but I'm quite talented at corrupting other people's kids. :D

Film? Digital?

Exponential rise in shots taken since 2005, to chronicle motorcycle trips. What's your favorite subject?
    Landscapes, and prairie sunsets.

Corporate accounting & finance.

Motorcycles, hockey, camping
  • Options
    craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Doesn't look like anyones done this in a while so I will...

My name is Tracy, Im 34 and live in Maryland.

I have a wonderful Fiance and 3 great kids. My step daughter is 14, my son is 10 and my baby girl is 7 1/2 months.

My dad was an avid photographer when I was little so I guess I just picked up the bug. Shot some in jr. high and high school but it was too expensive a hobby back then....Now Ive been shooting strong for a good 3 years. (Canon digital equipment)

I am a sports junkie. Right now I'm shooting NASCAR but am dying to get into NFL and NBA especially.

I am currently the Installation coordinator at an integrated security access control company.

My other hobbies include crafts of all sorts especially decorative painting and crochet.
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I'm 33 years old, live in Tracy California but grew up in Santa Cruz California. I've got a wife, 2 boys (3yrs and 8 months). Been shooting seriously for about 3 months, lots of messing around with film before that. Favorite thing to shoot is low light landscapes. I work for a contractor in San Jose. I enjoy offroading in my Toyota pickup and exploring in general.
    ne_nau.gif:D