Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Listen here you young whippersnapper. :nono

lol3.gif I'll check out my friends and see how it goes.

I spent a week in FL with my folks in March trying to help them get their new computer set up...Vista was designed by SATAN!!! :bluduh
    Queenie it is no hassles at all..i just did it & honestly apart from the odd 'wheres this' or 'how do i do that' question..it is almost seamless. Its a better machine without doubt.

You wont regret it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 15, 2007
    the leopard has landed :D

upgrade install, so far so good with apps. the only thing that's not so good is the coverflow, my preview images look like crap, super low res. if I hadn't seen gus's the other day, I wouldn't think much of it, but it is truly bad.
    ne_nau.gif

dock-20071115-223929.jpg

i am surprised that it ate up another 6gb worth of space. shouldn't it kind of install itself over the old OS, or is it just that much bigger?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so far so good with apps. the only thing that's not so good is the coverflow, my preview images look like crap, super low res.

i am surprised that it ate up another 6gb worth of space. shouldn't it kind of install itself over the old OS, or is it just that much bigger?

What computer are you using that you see low res cover flow?

Apple should be better about informing people about the upgrades and what is installed. It would be best to do a custom install and not install gigs of print drivers, that is what a huge portion of the upgrade is. I trim down what is installed, but I cannot simply plug into any printer.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    patch29 wrote:

Apple should be better about informing people about the upgrades and what is installed. It would be best to do a custom install and not install gigs of print drivers, that is what a huge portion of the upgrade is. I trim down what is installed, but I cannot simply plug into any printer.
    MacBook Pro

and yeah, I used Macaroni to lose about a gb worth of languages
    Erik

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 15, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    I'll be doing the opposite in a couple of months, I will be getting a MacBook Pro, and I want to copy the programs etc from my MacPro. Will migration assistant leave everything functional on the MacPro? Will it move Lightroom and CS3, and my MS Office to the notebook? Oh, and lastly, will I have to upgrade to Leopard on the MacPro to do this? I was planning on doing that anyway, but not yet....

This would be truly AWESOME, and be a huge time saver for sure!!!
    I dont have cs3 or MS office installed on my MBP so I can't say for sure about them, however It got every single one of my other applications including all their preferences. It's seriously like i just plugged the HD from my MBP into my Mac Pro.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    patch29 wrote:

I've found the same thing with some PS files that only have little bitty thumbs, and no embedded preview. It's the PS file, not Leopard. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    I'll be doing the opposite in a couple of months, I will be getting a MacBook Pro, and I want to copy the programs etc from my MacPro. Will migration assistant leave everything functional on the MacPro? Will it move Lightroom and CS3, and my MS Office to the notebook? Oh, and lastly, will I have to upgrade to Leopard on the MacPro to do this? I was planning on doing that anyway, but not yet....

This would be truly AWESOME, and be a huge time saver for sure!!!

You don't need to upgrade, but I wouldn't move from Leopard to Tiger, if that's what you're asking.

It will not remove anything from the source machine. It will move all applications if you tell it to.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    I think I have Tiger now don't I? Whatever came with the MacPro... I know the new notebook will come with the new OS, Leopard right? I was just concerned that I would not be able to migrate from the OLD OS to the new OS... It must just be leftover paranoia from my Windows days!

Thanks DavidTO!

I am really looking forward to my new laptop, my Sharp is getting pretty tired, with an AMD 64 2700+ and 512MB RAM, it has a really hard time with my 1DIIN files, even MEDIUM .jpegs take quite a while to open/close on CS2. I am sure the new Mac with more RAM, and a way faster processor, and of course CS3 will make quick work of those files.

Did I read that the new OSX is having issues with Lightroom?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:

Did I read that the new OSX is having issues with Lightroom?

Yes you did, some details here from Adobe.
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Thanks for that link Patch! I guess I will wait before updating my OS on the MacPro....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    10.5.1 has been released. I installed it without any problems.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    Thanks for that link Patch! I guess I will wait before updating my OS on the MacPro....

Glad to help, hopefully Adobe will release the Lightroom update soon.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Meet Bento.

Personal database program by Filemaker. Integrates with iCal, Address Book....looks pretty good.

So, after a few days:

it's beta

it's overly simplified in many ways

but it's oh-so easy to set up a relational database

and it looks to be exactly what I needed!!!! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've found the same thing with some PS files that only have little bitty thumbs, and no embedded preview. It's the PS file, not Leopard. thumb.gif
    so far I haven't found a SINGLE jpg that looks good in coverflow, they all look like tiny thumbs. I don't do anything special to my files to save space or anything, so why is it that "all" mine look low-res and "all" of gus's looked big and gorgeous. headscratch.gif

*when I say "all" I obviously don't mean I've checked all several thousand image files on my machine, but a very good portion from several folders over a few years.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so far I haven't found a SINGLE jpg that looks good in coverflow, they all look like tiny thumbs. I don't do anything special to my files to save space or anything, so why is it that "all" mine look low-res and "all" of gus's looked big and gorgeous. headscratch.gif

*when I say "all" I obviously don't mean I've checked all several thousand image files on my machine, but a very good portion from several folders over a few years.

I'm pretty sure that it's PS and your settings for saving files, and that you're not embedding a preview. For me, it's only on PS files. Other images look great. Coverflow is beautiful. Really.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    For me, it's only on PS files.
    Oh, good, so like 99% of them. rolleyes1.gif

still doesn't make sense. coverflow can get into .avi .mov etc files and make a little preview, but it can't handle a simple .jpg to resize it's own preview image? not to mention how well (and quickly) it handles RAW file previews...
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh, good, so like 99% of them. rolleyes1.gif

still doesn't make sense. coverflow can get into .avi .mov etc files and make a little preview, but it can't handle a simple .jpg to resize it's own preview image? not to mention how well (and quickly) it handles RAW file previews...

I think it's the way that PS saves them, really. Check your prefs if you want to stop it from happening in the future. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Perhaps coverflow only uses the embedded thumbnail, and doesnt read the entire file? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Perhaps coverflow only uses the embedded thumbnail, and doesnt read the entire file? ne_nau.gif

You can zoom in forever on a PDF.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can zoom in forever on a PDF.

hmm, I was referring to the fact that PSD, TIF, JPG and some RAW (Canon at least) files provide for an embedded thumbnail. These files do not require a complete rendering, instead the thumbnail is provided for previews. Windows XP for example uses this in its 'thumbnail view'.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Adobe released three updates today for Photoshop, Camera Raw and Lightroom. clap.gif

The updates can be found on this page.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Intel Macbook max RAM?
    Howdy...
    I though my 6 month old Blacbook was maxed out at 2 GB RAM, but now on the Apple Website they say that the new Macbooks tap out with 4GB. Is it a different computer (or is Leopard?) or can I shove some 2GB cards in my "old" computer?

Many thanks.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    Howdy...
    I though my 6 month old Blacbook was maxed out at 2 GB RAM, but now on the Apple Website they say that the new Macbooks tap out with 4GB. Is it a different computer (or is Leopard?) or can I shove some 2GB cards in my "old" computer?

I think it's the Intel chipset in use. The current one supports 4GB. Most of the rest of the computer is the same. It is the same reason iMacs and MacBook Pros went from supporting 3GB to 4GB RAM a few months ago. You cannot force an older version to recognize 4GB.

There was also an upgrade to the video subsystem. Otherwise they are still the same MacBooks.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Booooo! :D

Thanks for the info.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Help! I uninstalled Lightroom on my macbook and tried to reinstall it from the disk, now it says "nothing to install" When I run the installer and it gets to "installation type" What can I do?
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    just noticed these bits in my console log- looked at it after you mentioned firewall - thought Id have alok

Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdimportserver: _TIFFVSetField: tiff data provider: Invalid tag "Copyright" (not supported by codec).\n
    Nov 20 00:37:09 Zaphod mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en0 (FE80:0000:0000:0000:0211:24FF:FE88:003C); delaying packets by 5 seconds

Is this important?

and in the ipfw log there are loads of 'stealth mode connection attempts na d masses of 'deny' logs- does this mean someones trying to get into my computer?

How does one find out who or what the listed TCP numbers belong to?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Help! I uninstalled Lightroom on my macbook and tried to reinstall it from the disk, now it says "nothing to install" When I run the installer and it gets to "installation type" What can I do?

I think I didthat a while back and did a search for every LR or lightroom file and deleted the lot manually , thenit let me reinstall
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    using finder?? Will try it thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    OK, so I got LR 1.3 installed and imported my backed up catalogue, but now the program is freezing shortly after load up. Has anyone else had this problem??