Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, I get 'em because I've seen a blood test or two from friends come back low in zinc. Turns out men need more zinc than women because semen has high concentrations of it. So Gus has to go to the junkyard and scrounge zinc. Raw meat and nails for breakfast, zinc plates for lunch.

I just spent a little while browsing the aisles at Long's Drugs looking at the vitamin choices since I definitely need something with B12. I had a print out of the contents of the Gentle Care Formula from Fuhrman's site with me to compare. What I found was that the Centrum Silver formulation is almost identical to the Fuhrman formulation in which vitamins it contains, though the amounts are slightly different. In fact, the list of vitamins that each contains is so strikingly similar, I wondered if Centrum makes Fuhrman's for him. In differences, the Centrum has Vitamin A in it, Fuhrman's does not and Fuhrman's has some plant extracts added to it.

You can see the two vitamin contents here and here.

I'll have to educate myself on the Vitamin A issues to see if what Centrum has in it is OK or not.

FYI, the Centrum choice is about one third the cost and available locally, though it's obviously more important to get the right one.

The Centrum has 417% of your Daily value of B12, the Fuhrman formulation has 500%.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Fuhrman advises against vitamin A supplements, I believe. I forget why.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I love muffins because you can freeze them and just heat them up for a quick snack or breakfast. Plus they are fast and easy to make! clap.gif

-Anne

Anne,

I made your muffins today, and they came out fantastic. I used the almond milk I mentioned earlier instead of soy. I used 1 cup water and a heaping tsp. of almond butter, and then blended it. It wasn't perfectly smooth (as in, I'm not sure I'd want to drink it), but it was white and milky looking.

Anyway, loving the muffins. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    Carotenoids, beta carotene and vitamin A are fascinating examples of how hard it is to engineer foods that mimic natural ones.

Eating carotenoids has the same effect as putting makeup on your skin so you look better in photos, especially under harsh, on-camera flash. That's because it forms a reflective layer for light, so the flash can't penetrate your skin, hit the blood vessels, and create a red skin alert at EZ Prints. And it protects against skin cancer, keeps your skin young, and protects against many other forms of cancer too.

Guess whose diet is low in carotenoids in this photo?

28952823_s94Eb-O.jpg

Most official recommendations I've seen are to not supplement with beta carotene or vitamin A because it's been linked to increased odds of lung cancer in smokers and has shown no benefits in non-smokers.

Perhaps that's because supplements contain only one or two forms and there are several, who knows. Or maybe it's best to have the other 600+ forms of carotenoids naturally occurring in plants that the supplements don't have. Fuhrman makes some guesses in the DVD I sent you.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    stirfry wrote:
    clap.gif Looks like the good news outweighed the bad news, plus you got a much-deserved vacation. How are you doing now that you're home?

Yup the good news outweighed the bad. Since this is a photo forum, pics...

253524758_FHTgf-M.jpg
    Complete Gallery

I still have not been home. Went right from vacation to another business trip.eek7.gif but I drove my coworkers nuts with all the salads I ate :) Came back weighing less than when I left. clap.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Speak for yourself. :D I think a lot of us would rather believe that chocolate chip cookies are the staff of life, not broccoli.

Yup, I am having a hard time changing the food groups to not include chocolate.

Oh yeah, regarding the popcorn I have not gotten all the way through the China Study, but if popcorn is eaten plain, how is it health wise? In other words I pop 1/2 a cup in 3 tablespoons peanut oil and a dash of salt, am I doing no better than the stuff with all the chemical butter and salts?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Yup, I am having a hard time changing the food groups to not include chocolate.

Oh yeah, regarding the popcorn I have not gotten all the way through the China Study, but if popcorn is eaten plain, how is it health wise? In other words I pop 1/2 a cup in 3 tablespoons peanut oil and a dash of salt, am I doing no better than the stuff with all the chemical butter and salts?

The point is to optimize the nutrition you get per calorie. Popcorn doesn't do that, any way you slice it. :D

I have raw cocoa most days. It's really good for you, there were recipes further up, but I food process 1 cup almonds, 1 cup walnuts, 10 mejdool dates and a heaping TBS. of raw cocoa. When it's processed fully, I make little meatball sized balls, and pop them in the fridge. They're really good, I think. And raw cocoa is chock full of anti-oxidants. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I just spent a little while browsing the aisles at Long's Drugs looking at the vitamin choices since I definitely need something with B12. I had a print out of the contents of the Gentle Care Formula from Fuhrman's site with me to compare. What I found was that the Centrum Silver formulation is almost identical to the Fuhrman formulation in which vitamins it contains, though the amounts are slightly different. In fact, the list of vitamins that each contains is so strikingly similar, I wondered if Centrum makes Fuhrman's for him. In differences, the Centrum has Vitamin A in it, Fuhrman's does not and Fuhrman's has some plant extracts added to it.

You can see the two vitamin contents here and here.

I'll have to educate myself on the Vitamin A issues to see if what Centrum has in it is OK or not.

FYI, the Centrum choice is about one third the cost and available locally, though it's obviously more important to get the right one.

The Centrum has 417% of your Daily value of B12, the Fuhrman formulation has 500%.

Here's one more choice. It's from VegLife which offers a whole line of vegan-friendly supplements (no animal products in them). This is their multi-vitamin and this is their catalog of other items. These do have vitamin A in them. I haven't yet found any multi-vitamin other than Fuhrman's that has enough B-12, zinc and a few others and no Vitamin A.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    21 powerful reasons to exercise
    We all know that exercise is good for us, but I found this list of 21 Powerful Reasons to Exercise worth reading.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Long story, but I wouldn't touch iron supplements unless your blood test says you have a deficiency (it won't for you, but it's possible for your wife).

Here's Dr. Fuhrman's rationale for his vitamins, and I buy what he has to say. He doesn't go into the gory details on iron, but I have them if you're curious.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article10.aspx
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    We all know that exercise is good for us, but I found this list of 21 Powerful Reasons to Exercise worth reading.
    I was swimming at the Y tonight and an adorable young 20-something lifeguard whose face was alive with smiles said, "Sir, I'm so sorry to interrupt but someone told me you know about cholesterol."

"Matter of fact, I do."

"My doctor said mine is 207 and I need to go on Lipitor because it's genetic."

Boy did we have a fascinating talk about The China Study. Is this what it's come to? Beautiful young models of health starting their adult lives on powerful meds with side effects because they lost the genetic lottery?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Preformed vitamin A (along with other factors) is linked to bone loss. The other factors are not exercising, too much caffeine, excess animal protein intake, and it seems like I'm forgetting one. I'll look it up if I get the chance.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Preformed vitamin A (along with other factors) is linked to bone loss. The other factors are not exercising, too much caffeine, excess animal protein intake, and it seems like I'm forgetting one. I'll look it up if I get the chance.
    Reading this thread it looks like i may not wake in the morning. You guys can auction my new imac & 135mm/f2 to the forum but my WWII trench coat is going with me.
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I was swimming at the Y tonight and an adorable young 20-something lifeguard whose face was alive with smiles said, "Sir, I'm so sorry to interrupt but someone told me you know about cholesterol."

"Matter of fact, I do."

Boy did we have a fascinating talk about The China Study. Is this what it's come to? Beautiful young models of health starting their adult lives on powerful meds with side effects because they lost the genetic lottery?

That is truly sad...and telling of our "civilized" society :pissed
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:

It sure seems like this is more common the last few years. It can be really scarry stuff. A girl in my daughter's school contracted eColi. She survived, but it was touch and go for awhile. The ironic thing is that the eColi came from meat they bought at Whole Foods (of all places) which you would think would be one of the safer places to buy it (at least relatively speaking).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Unfortunately, plenty of people get it from veggies too, like spinach. The bacteria originates in animals and it's felt that the appalling conditions under which they are now raised in the U.S. is a big factor, but I'm not sure they ever figured out how the big E Coli spinach outbreak in California happened.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:

That. Is. Nauseating.

It's been beaten to death in this thread and in all the required reading (lol3.gif) but what upsets me more than anything else is that the demand for beef is so high that it even comes to this point and that they can't afford to take downed cattle off the menu.
    Baldy wrote:
    but I'm not sure they ever figured out how the big E Coli spinach outbreak in California happened.

I thought it was runoff from some kind of cattle raising business. Don't quote me on that.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    One of the most interesting things that I learned in The Omnivore's Dilemma was how un-sustainable farming is without animals. We could not raise all of our fruits and vegetables without animals in a sustainable manner. We need fertilizer, and it's either cow pies or fossil fuels.

Also, the best, most sustainable farming (far from the factories, mind you) has animals and plants, especially grass, working together to create a mini-ecosystem that works, and builds up the soil, rather than depleting it. So, from a global standpoint, the best thing may be to eat grass fed meat, especially from farms like the one that is featured in The Omnivore's Dilemma. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Unfortunately, plenty of people get it from veggies too, like spinach. The bacteria originates in animals and it's felt that the appalling conditions under which they are now raised in the U.S. is a big factor, but I'm not sure they ever figured out how the big E Coli spinach outbreak in California happened.

It seems like the incidents with veggies are a significantly smaller scale than the incidents with meat. Sure, it can happen with veggies but I, for one, am happy to not have to worry about the integrity of the meat supply anymore.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    It seems like the incidents with veggies are a significantly smaller scale than the incidents with meat. Sure, it can happen with veggies but I, for one, am happy to not have to worry about the integrity of the meat supply anymore.

That's due in part to the way that meat is processed, and especially ground. Your hamburger could contain meat from 100s of cows, and came in contact with meat from 1000s of others.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

"Matter of fact, I do."

Actaully, that recommendation is quite common these days.

I know that I'm on the losing end of the genetic lottery. :cry And most doctors (friends and relatives) that hear my numbers want me on drugs ASAP. They don't want to hear that I'm active or that I have a really good ratio (still!)

My doctor? She suggested that I watch what I eat even more than I currently do (which means going as vegan as I can) and try the blood work again in six months to check the results. She knows that I eat pretty well to begin with and that I workout on a regular basis.

I haven't been completely perfect, but I've been mostly good. It's a decent start... For me, there hasn't been much change in the way I feel/look since it's not much of a change at all (more beans and veggies). We'll see how I do in a few more months... blood can't lie.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I know that I'm on the losing end of the genetic lottery. :cry And most doctors (friends and relatives) that hear my numbers want me on drugs ASAP.
    Me too. That's what started all of this. My total was 235 and I ate what seemed like a healthy diet: no refined foods, nonfat dairy, lean meats, and lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes and a few nuts. I was very active.

It took losing the added oils, meat and nonfat dairy for me, cutting way back on the grains and moving far up the nutrient scale towards leafy greens.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    E. coli infections in spinach - embedded into cells

A bunch of articles about veggies & health
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Interesting:

Any background on where that set came from?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:
    Not really. It was on a site where people link to and vote on photography. A "photo sharing" website if you will. lol3.gif That site didn't have any background info on the image.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Not really. It was on a site where people link to and vote on photography. A "photo sharing" website if you will. lol3.gif That site didn't have any background info on the image.
    They're great photos. It was such a good and simple idea, it makes you wonder why we didn't think of it.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:
    Here you go.

EDIT: Actually, this is the source.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    '

Thank You, Mike & David. These are compelling and interesting photos. I wonder if they were in the back of my mind while I was picking up groceries last night. My daughter asked for berries, and there were fresh berries available:
    $4.99 for a pound of strawberries, $4.99 each for 6 oz of blackberries and raspberries. "Fresh" from California or Mexico. I contemplated taking a photo of them, and actually got to thinking of trying a theme: "what does $20 buy in your town." Anyone care to play?

So I spent $15 on fruit that 3/5 of us finished in our lunches today. Not sure how many cents per calorie that is, or per nutrient. But, as we know it is much more expensive to eat well.

And have I got a *funny* photo to share on the theme 'corn is everywhere' (check the sticker lower right corner):
    256670110_voLSe-M.jpg

ann
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have raw cocoa most days. It's really good for you, there were recipes further up, but I food process 1 cup almonds, 1 cup walnuts, 10 mejdool dates and a heaping TBS. of raw cocoa. When it's processed fully, I make little meatball sized balls, and pop them in the fridge. They're really good, I think. And raw cocoa is chock full of anti-oxidants. thumb.gif

Oh wow, David. I just made some, and they're really really delicious.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.