Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    As promised, pictures and a few comments on the Tastebook!

First off, it's packaged very nicely. The outer cardboard has a nice big tomato on it, and the lettering is nice, but mostly it's a single piece of cardboard that will protect the book nicely. Inside, the book is in a nice envelope, it's almost like an invitation.

252896351_Phego-S.jpg

252896516_rKa9i-S.jpg

It's nicely constructed.

252896815_qy8Au-S.jpg

The label on the front is just that--a label, stuck on, but it's nice enough.

252896954_eGGAt-S.jpg

I found that the color was a bit red in all the images, but the pages are nice. Fairly heavy paper.

252897133_KG2Mi-S.jpg

The lack of reinforcements on the hole in the paper is made up for by just how many holes there are in each page. The binder opens and closes nicely.

252897280_4m9F6-S.jpg

252897474_fx2EG-S.jpg

They've put some crap on the back, but it's fairly attractive crap, I guess.

252897773_iw8cT-S.jpg

252897880_y6GWD-S.jpg

And it stands up!

252898059_FcN6W-S.jpg

I'm really happy with it, overall, and I look forward to you guys adding more recipes so that I can order the balance of pages I have credit for on this thing!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    WOOT! It does look beautiful. I think that customer service and presentation are next only to functionality. I'm pleased to see that TB has all three.

That is truly beautiful. It's certainly motivating to get some more experiments going to add to it. But between all the things I haven't tried so far in that thing plus all the other great resources posted here, my stomach can't keep up. lol3.gif

thumb.gif

(Since this is also a photography forum.... shot with the 40D?)
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    (Since this is also a photography forum.... shot with the 40D?)

Yup. :D

Although I'm not bragging about the shots!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yes it is!

So is the chapter of The Omnivores Dilema that I read last night. Now, I am not a fast or dedicated reader, so I am still reading the corn section. Last night was the description of life on a feed lot. Made me want to never eat supermarket beef again, ever. (where's the shudder smilie?)

ann
    I am playing catch up. Baldy just sent me The China Study last week, and I got through that. EFL should be here Monday or Tues, that's on the list after that.

Read the link Baldy posted to the Rolling Stone article on the pig farms the next time you feel like eating because you're stressed. eek7.gif That was one of the things that made me finally look into this health thing. It's always bothered me, but I was abusing my good genes and staying healthy-appearing, despite my horrid diet all these years.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    FieryTree and I were looking over the Tastebook site and the SmugDiet books...that is a great idea! clap.gif I'm really glad to hear that the book itself is a quality product as well. I had only saved the link quickly while scouring this thread for info originally, but hadn't really looked at that site closely. But we are trying to find ways to prepare this fridge full of fresh veggies we picked up at the farmer's market yesterday :ivar
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm reading up on cooking beans in a crockpot, hoping to save my self some hassle in the quest for home-cooked beans.

Anyway, through Google, I found this bit on the Whole Foods site:

Here's the link to the quoted page. thumb.gif

I cook a lot of red kidney bean and just red beans...here is what I do.....place in crock full of water over night, next morning discard water, rinse beans in a collander and rinse out crock.....place beans back in crock cook on low all day until I get home from work.....I no longer cook any ham hocks with the beans as I quite using them long ago....no sausage either (only eat bison sausage) but may put a hand full of just lean ham in there for a little flavor...but mostly my beans are headed for red bean and rice or some other cajun dish or chili.....I also always cook them with tons of fresh pressed garlic and tons of onions and cayenne pepper (i also do not use any blk pepper as it does not digest well)................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Roasted vegetables
    A really easy way to fix some very yummy vegetables:

Pick a set of vegetables you like that will do well with roasting. We go with:

carrots, sliced
    medium yam, cubed
    mushrooms, sliced
    broccoli, cut into small pieces
    zucchini, sliced or cut into small pieces
    asparagus
    red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
    yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
    10 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
    1t dill, minced
    2 t rosemary, minced
    3T olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.
    Cover cookie sheet or large baking pan with heavy duty foil.
    Combine all ingredients in a bowl to mix the seasonings and oil onto the vegetables
    Put into baking pan or cookie sheet
    Bake for 40-60 minutes until vegetables are soft, stirring every 10 minutes
    At the end of the time, if they are soft, but not browned, you can do a few minutes under broil to give them just a little browness

You can use virtually any vegetables you have that would stand up to roasting in the oven. The yam adds quite a bit of sweetness to the whole mixture, but it's optional. I like to go to the market and just pick out the veggies that look the best that day.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Just back from vacation...
    So took my first vacation in about seven years with the wife. I work way too much and we never could get both of our vacations to line up right. It was a good news bad news trip...

Good news:
    Came back weighing less than when I left. That has not happened that I can ever remember

Bad news:
    Left China Study at home

Good news:
    When bored instead of eating we would play pool, sit on the deck and watch the sunset, talk, sit in hot tub...

Bad news:
    Ate less healthy than I wanted to

Good news:
    Ate less

Now in the world of better living through Chemistry... my new drink at Starbucks, Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte with Soy Milk, please. it has started some interesting conversations with the Baristas.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 11, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Baldy, or anyone, do you know much about Brenden Brazier and his book The Thrive Diet? It looks like he's very much on board with the whole foods, plant-based diet thing but gives a lot of information about how athletes (and us mere mortals training for marathons) should eat. ear.gif
    Yeah, I know of Brenden and read the book. He's a pretty good triathlete but not one of the top 20 I wouldn't say, although he won the Canadian 50K run championships. Tough race.

The issue I have with the book is he's drawn toward unusual plants in search of superfoods. I'm with Fuhrman: we have them at the supermarket and they're kale, broccoli, etc. The trick is to get them to be a significant part of our diets, not to search for more exotic versions of what we're not eating anyway.

He makes a great point, though, which is don't expect to go vegan and thrive. Not until you find a way to base your diet on the high-nutrient foods.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Made me want to never eat supermarket beef again, ever.
    Careful. Oprah said that on air and the kind, $150 billion beef industry sued her and dragged her through a long court case. She was found innocent, but they've appealed so they can drag her through more.

That'll learn her. It isn't that they were right, only that it's too much trouble and expense for Oprah to ever say it again.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Careful. Oprah said that on air and the kind, $150 billion beef industry sued her and dragged her through a long court case. She was found innocent, but they've appealed so they can drag her through more.

That'll learn her. It isn't that they were right, only that it's too much trouble and expense for Oprah to ever say it again.

Ha! I said something controversial! Oh me oh my. Well, I don't have millions so I wouldn't be worth the publicity. Sheeesh!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

I had heard that cooked rice should only be kept 24 hours, as it can be a source of food poisoning!

:yikes uh, for reals? I had never heard that, but will tuck it away for future reference, for sure. I must have intestines of steel from all these years of eating days-old cooked rice. But that tidbit may explain fried rice, and the desire to use cooked rice up in a more timely manner than just letting it sit thumb.gif . Learn somethin' new every day!

This is sort of gross, then, but I remember back in Hawai'i we used to make a big pot of rice (on the stove, in the pre-rice-cooker-in-every-asian-home era). We'd leave it there on the stove, covered, and just eat out of the pot until the rice was all gone and it was time to make a new pot. Sometimes 2-3 days just sitting there on the stove. On a humid island in a house without air conditioning lol. There are things I look back on and wonder how I've survived this long rolleyes1.gif.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    So took my first vacation in about seven years with the wife. I work way too much and we never could get both of our vacations to line up right. It was a good news bad news trip...

clap.gif Looks like the good news outweighed the bad news, plus you got a much-deserved vacation. How are you doing now that you're home? I still need to get and read the book, see what all this way of eating entails.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    (only eat bison sausage)

I don't care for the taste of meat, which drives much of my avoidance of it. But while I take great care to avoid it, I try not to be a PITA about it either - for instance, if I'm a guest in someone's home I avoid large chunks of meat but won't bug over meat ingredients in side dishes or whatnot. If there is no avoiding it, I take the obligatory few bites.

Years ago a new neighbor invited us over for dinner. There I learned that he was a hunter, and his most recent catch was on the menu. We ate bison chili. I couldn't avoid it without being overtly rude, which isn't my style. It was actually pretty tasty! I ate about half a bowl before I got to a point I couldn't eat any more, but my husband ate three servings. Not too bad, that bison. Is there a particular reason you only eat bison sausage? And what exactly is sausage, what part of the bison?

I don't know much about the names of meat, where they come from or what animals they come from. We didn't really eat it growing up.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    stirfry wrote:
    There are things I look back on and wonder how I've survived this long rolleyes1.gif.

My mom and some other relatives were talking about just this thing a while ago- the days before refrigeration, the days before supermarkets, when everyone canned and cured their own veggies, fruits and meats to last until the next harvest. Quite amazing really. And more natural and thus possibly better for us!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    stirfry wrote:
    IIs there a particular reason you only eat bison sausage? And what exactly is sausage, what part of the bison?

Bison is extremely lean. As is any game meat, really. (And bison is not going to be feedlot fed). Bison is actually delicious, as is elk and venison.
    Sausage is made from any part of the animal - usually from the bits and pieces of trim left after 'dressing' the animal into cuts. (High school job in the local butcher shop). My friends father hunted, and so I've had a fair amount of game sausage, including bear! I always felt odd about that, and thought farm raised game was better (from a humanitarian view). Now I am not sure about this at all. But that is not the topic here.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Start with Dr. Fuhrman's Anti Cancer Soup. Chock full of vegetable goodness, and my kids, especially my daughter, can't get enough. When I'm cooking it, she's hovering, waiting for it to be done. It's a bowlful of happiness. thumb.gif

I was looking at the recipe for the Anti Cancer Soup and thinking about making it soon. It calls for juicing the carrots and celery in a juicer extractor. I don't have a juice extractor yet. Is there any substitute technique or ingredient? Shall I just let the carrots and celery go in the blender with the other vegetables?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I was looking at the recipe for the Anti Cancer Soup and thinking about making it soon. It calls for juicing the carrots and celery in a juicer extractor. I don't have a juice extrator yet. Is there any substitute technique or ingredient? Shall I just let the carrots and celery go in the blender with the other vegetables?
    I have a similar question john. Thanks for asking. My blender can juice things with an included attachment, but my question is, why just the juice? Why not whole carrots and celery and then some extra water or something if need be? ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I posted this response to Anne but I VM'd my carrots and celery when I did this and added them with a little extra water to fill the pot. And it worked, but I spent about 20 extra minutes skimming the pulp off while it was simmering because it all rose to the top and started to sludge over. It wasn't looking pleasant, though it tasted OK.

The next time I make this (if I don't have a juicer by then) I'll try throwing them in the pot whole and then blending along with the other veggies when they're nice and soft. It might make a difference. Or one of you can try this and report back. :D
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I have a similar question john. Thanks for asking. My blender can juice things with an included attachment, but my question is, why just the juice? Why not whole carrots and celery and then some extra water or something if need be? ne_nau.gif

You could do that. It would be a different soup, is all. I've always juiced the carrots and celery, and I look at it as a way to make the water needed for the recipe more nutritious. If you add more veggies, you need more water. It probably doesn't matter much in the long run, but I'll say this: the recipe already makes a boatload of soup. I couldn't fit all the celery and carrots in my pot if I were to try your idea. I use a 12 quart pot that is just barely, by 1/4" big enough for this stuff. You'll have to adjust the recipe to fit your pot.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Any recipes for using all the pulpy leftover stuff from a juicer? We added a bunch of carrot and kale to a soup, but we used a bit too much for how much we were making. It was too thick. Needed to be pureed a bit first?

We're experimenting like crazy :D
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    We made a barley soup last night and realized we had a whole bunch of kale that was on its last legs.

So, my adventurous husband floated it on top of the soup until it was cooked, and pulled it out with tongs, vitamixed it up with some of the soup broth, and back into the soup it went! It made for a green barley soup, but it was delicious (ie you couldn't taste the kale). :D

That's definitely a technique we'll be using most times we make soup, even if it's not the official "anti-cancer" soup. thumb.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Pre TCS and ETL running: Struggle to do 14:00 to 15:00 mins per mile. Got easily frustrated. Dreaded my running days.

Post TCS and ETL running: Just ran today (tempo run) 5 miles pushing a stroller with a 25lb baby in it, my OJ, his water, banana, strawberries, and assorted toys. My time was 45mins 30sec about 9:06 mins per mile and I felt great!

I'm no olympian of course, but it's progress and every time I run I'm amazed at the difference. Thank you Baldy so much for the books! wings.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Apparently Hillary loves her some hot peppers.

I think the hot pepper is a good part of why the Kitcheree makes me feel so good after I eat it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Pre TCS and ETL running: Struggle to do 14:00 to 15:00 mins per mile. Got easily frustrated. Dreaded my running days.

Post TCS and ETL running: Just ran today (tempo run) 5 miles pushing a stroller with a 25lb baby in it, my OJ, his water, banana, strawberries, and assorted toys. My time was 45mins 30sec about 9:06 mins per mile and I felt great!

I'm no olympian of course, but it's progress and every time I run I'm amazed at the difference. Thank you Baldy so much for the books! wings.gif

That's great news! I've just begun running again and have a long way to go before I work back up to 5+ miles again (and a lot of pounds to lose before my body says that's comfortable). But, I've been pleased with my short-term progress and it's encouraging to hear news like yours. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Read The Labels!
    When I first made the decision to go off meat I wasn't a huge veggie eater. That has really changed! 5 servings a day? No problem!!! :D I'm single and cook only for myself. I get home late and it has to be fast. I've always been a Trader Joe's fan and found a bag of organic mixed geen veggies (frozen) that really suited my needs to begin with. I was adding them to everything and eating quite a bit of them. Several weeks ago, after 2 stops attempting to find them in stock, I asked a salesclerk for help. She went to check in the stockroom. When she returned she told me that they had been discontinued. I was bummed. :cry I went home and took my last 1/2 bag out of the freezer and decided to quick check the label since I couldn't remember all of the different veggies included. Figured it was time to make my own mix. Trader Joe's usually packages their frozen foods locally in Monrovia. I was surprised (very surprised!) to see this was imported from China! Because it was "Organic" I never bothered to read the label. I wondered at the time if they had quietly discontinued importing because they were from China. Then today I read this story:

Trader Joe's barring some Chinese imports.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I felt great!
    I just love the feeling of being mobile, free to run at a clip with wind in your face.

The other night we were at Cirque du Soleil and it was fabulous. But I was beginning to starve and I wished I'd brought one of Bethy's amazing fruit/seed/nut bars. At the intermission, there was nothing to be found but junk food (I know what they put on that popcorn).

So I got my hand stamped and took off running into the night. 30-minute intermission? No problem. Run a mile, find a grocery store, stuff pockets, and arrive back in time for the second half feeling amazing (but not as amazing as some of those performers bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif ).

cirque-du-soleil2_101002.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    Oh, man. The paper version of Business Week has Lipitor on the cover with the title, "Lipitor, Does it Make a Difference?" It's pretty eye-opening, and damning.

The bottom line is 250 have to take it for one to possibly be affected positively (but a government-funded study cast doubt on even that). But somewhere between 3% (Pfizer's estimate) and 15% (drug company critic's extimates) of peoplel have side effects that include cognitive decline.

Spinach to the rescue.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Spinach to the rescue.

I shoulda got my blood work checked before I started eating all this green stuff :D
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    Isn't there growing evidence that all the cholesterol concerns are just a bunch of hooey to begin with?
    Moderator Emeritus