Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Windows on Mac
    I'm looking to install Windows on my IMac, but i'm getting slightly confused. I have Leopard, which supports Window application via BootCamp. I'm not sure where to start, or how to go about getting windows. Is there a website from where i have to d/l it? Please help.
    Thank you!! :help
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Just a random thought about how much I love my mac and how much I hate Windows. Have to write a Word doc today, don't have any office like programs on my mac, and the home PC is cleaning up 135 virus' in its weekly clean up. :puke

I may as well go clean the house, it will take that long before the dang windows machine is responsive.....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    I think VMWare's Fusion has pretty much eclipsed Parallels since then. Parallels were the first ones out the door, but VMWare has apparently developed a product that's faster, more reliable, (prettier), and with much better customer support. I bought Parallels when I got my MacBook a couple of years ago (wow...) but haven't bothered to upgrade. It worked well, but I'll probably buy Fusion if I have a need for another VM solution.
    VMware fusion, ftw. Everyone at Smug is using it now, and we love it. For all the reasons you state deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Just a random thought about how much I love my mac and how much I hate Windows. Have to write a Word doc today, don't have any office like programs on my mac, and the home PC is cleaning up 135 virus' in its weekly clean up. :puke

I may as well go clean the house, it will take that long before the dang windows machine is responsive.....rolleyes1.gif

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=8006AFCC&node=home/mac/campaigns/ms_office_2008_landing
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I just merged a couple of Mac-related threads into this one. I apologize if it leads to any confusion. thumb.gif But it's good to keep all the Mac stuff here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I'm looking to install Windows on my IMac, but i'm getting slightly confused. I have Leopard, which supports Window application via BootCamp. I'm not sure where to start, or how to go about getting windows. Is there a website from where i have to d/l it? Please help.

I've never done this, but I believe you have to buy a boxed copy of it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    "Just a random thought about how much I love my mac and how much I hate Windows. Have to write a Word doc today, don't have any office like programs on my mac, and the home PC is cleaning up 135 virus' in its weekly clean up.

I may as well go clean the house, it will take that long before the dang windows machine is responsive....."

Don't wait for windows! Use the Mac's Text Edit and "Save As" .doc or .pdf or even .docx (windows office 2007!)

Unless you "need" to do something other than writing and simple formatting?

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    TextEdit is one fast, lean, writing machine!

Simple, but useful.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    WHERE is my new 13 or 15" MacBook ???????
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    Don't wait for windows! Use the Mac's Text Edit and "Save As" .doc or .pdf or even .docx (windows office 2007!)

Unless you "need" to do something other than writing and simple formatting?

VI

Hmmmm, didn't know this - will certainly try. I have just finished the doc I needed but will keep this in my peabrain - I'll go look for it now! Ultimately needed the doc as a pdf so this will be great!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hmmmm, didn't know this - will certainly try. I have just finished the doc I needed but will keep this in my peabrain - I'll go look for it now! Ultimately needed the doc as a pdf so this will be great!

Thanks!

Oops, IOT "save as" .pdf you "print" then choose the PDF dialogue. Works in text edit, too.

VI
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

Thanks!

You also most likely have a Pages demo on your Mac, to, in iWork. I use iWork instead of Office, because it's 1/2 the price, gives me all I need, and (compared to the version of Office that I had) was better suited to my needs. I haven't seen the latest version of Office, so I can't compare. But $80 for iWork or $150 for Office---neither is really all that bad, really.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I want new Cinema Displays! I'm really wanting a 23" -ish monitor, and it's too much hassle where I am to try and find a good monitor that is not Apple (all the panel switching, etc), but the Apple CDs are a year or so old...do we get new ones soon?? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You also most likely have a Pages demo on your Mac, to, in iWork. I use iWork instead of Office, because it's 1/2 the price, gives me all I need, and (compared to the version of Office that I had) was better suited to my needs. I haven't seen the latest version of Office, so I can't compare. But $80 for iWork or $150 for Office---neither is really all that bad, really.

Well, I'll be jing-flyin-janged

I have a MS Office demo and an iWork demo on here. iWork looks really nice. I know my way around office, but every update has a new learning curve. Given my current disposition towards microsoft, I think I'll be exploring iWork more.

Suh-weet - thanks, David.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    I don't know what's going on, my IMac has been acting up since last night. It veeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyy ssllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwww :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

I move all my pictures to my external hard drive, ran all the updates, no other apps are running, restarted computer few times with no succcess..... It drives me absolutely NUTS! :rambo:soapbox:gun2

It's not my ISP, i don't think, help!!!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I don't know what's going on, my IMac has been acting up since last night. It veeeeeeeryyyyyyyyyy ssllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwww :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

I move all my pictures to my external hard drive, ran all the updates, no other apps are running, restarted computer few times with no succcess..... It drives me absolutely NUTS! :rambo:soapbox:gun2

It's not my ISP, i don't think, help!!!!

What exactly is slow? Internet access? Everything?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    I want new Cinema Displays! I'm really wanting a 23" -ish monitor, and it's too much hassle where I am to try and find a good monitor that is not Apple (all the panel switching, etc), but the Apple CDs are a year or so old...do we get new ones soon?? ne_nau.gif

They will probably be out in a week or so, since my friend just bought a 30" Cinema Display. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    David, iternet is veeeery slow, pages load forever. headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Well since I bought a Macbook Pro 7 days ago, I would say you have another 9 days or so.... rolleyes1.gifrofl

As for the cinema displays, I am waiting for that one myself!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    David, iternet is veeeery slow, pages load forever. headscratch.gif

Wired, or wireless? Airport, or 3rd party?

New iMac (Intel), or older (PPC)?

WPA or WEP, or what?

ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    From macfixit.com
    Wireless connections Meanwhile, some readers are reporting slow operation when using certain wireless security standards, but not others. It appears that the currently shipping Intel-based Macs have issues -- in some cases -- with WPA security. Switching to WEP or WPA-2 may resolve the issue.

One reader writes:

"With my Intel iMac (20" model), internet and network performance via wireless is pathetically slow and unreliable when using WPA security encryption on a router. Downloads slow to 56k modem speeds and connecting to network PowerPC Macs take an eternity and copies rarely complete. A number of users on Apple Discussion lists have reported the same issue.

"Disabling encryption has worked for me - speeds have returned to expected levels. There were reports (also on Apple's Discussion lists) that WEP may work as well as WPA-2 although I haven't tried other encryption techniques yet to confirm this."
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    No, i'm just using plain old DSL service. It seems to pick up some speed. Whew! I thought i got a bug here somewhere. :nono
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:

I did this. The Boot Camp assistant helps through lots of the steps. I bought Windows XP Pro through Amazon as a OEM version. I also use VMWare Fusion which is really powerful. The reason I use both is that VMWare Fusion lets one run the instance of Boot Camp Windows without having to reboot. There are some things that virtualization (VMWare Fusion) does not do at the hardware level which is why I do both.

It took about two hours to do. The hardest part was waiting for the Windows downloads of service packs and then getting a "second" use allowed under VMware which was just a phone call.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    Thank you Brad, i'm very skeptical about the whole Windows thing. I'm mostly affraid of pesky securities, viruses, constant updates, etc. How does this work on Mac? Am i at higher risk by running Windows? I know it's on mac platform, but still, it's scary stuff eek7.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    From what I understand if you run Windows on a Mac, you will need to get all the other crap that Windows needs too, anti virus, Firewall, spamware, adware.... all kinds of fun stuff.

I would use windows to run the app that you need, then go back to OSX to keep all your "stuff" that way if a virus or a trojan destroys the Windows OS, you can just re-install Windows, no big deal.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    Unless your computer is NOT connected to the network and you run Parallels or
    other mechanism to run Windows, you should install all the usual virus scanners,
    etc.

There are several very good freeware packages (like AVG) that will do the
    trick for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    How does this work on Mac? Am i at higher risk by running Windows? I know it's on mac platform, but still, it's scary stuff eek7.gif

When you run windows on a Mac, it turns your mac in to a Windows machine and opens you to all the virus risks etc. Unless you *NEED* access to the internet for your windows, disable it. Block all programs, ports, firewalls, whatever. And use it only for the minimum required. Manage the risk, is all.

I used Parallels to run Garmin GPS software under windows on my Macbook, but as soon as Garmin came out with a mac version Parallels and Windows were ousted from my machine.

VI
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    When you run windows on a Mac, it turns your mac in to a Windows machine and opens you to all the virus risks etc. Unless you *NEED* access to the internet for your windows, disable it. Block all programs, ports, firewalls, whatever. And use it only for the minimum required. Manage the risk, is all.

I used Parallels to run Garmin GPS software under windows on my Macbook, but as soon as Garmin came out with a mac version Parallels and Windows were ousted from my machine.

VI
    I should be okay. I only run windows on my mac to surf pr0n and find warez.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    Yup, exactly. Best way to manage the risk is to eliminate it...

I only need win on my mac to run some scientific software for my research purposes (Labview, Matlab, Origin). Since windows runs in a virtual machine, I just don't let it have access to my network connection.

It's that easy. If you're a Mac user, why on earth would you be surfing the web in windows anyway?

As for running in Boot Camp, I really don't understand why anyone would bother, the VM's are so good these days, and if you really need that level of hardware access via windows, fer chrissakes, why not just use a PC?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    YSince windows runs in a virtual machine, I just don't let it have access to my network connection.
    Do you share files between your Mac and VM?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?