Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Hi all,

I'm having trouble uploading videos to my smugmug site from my mac, and am wondering what works well for other people? What software are people using to capture video and edit and upload to smugmug?

I'm using iMovie HD to capture from my Sony HDV camera. I edit in full HD res and then export to quicktime, web size. Quicktime movie plays fine on my mac, but after uploading using the latest MacDaddy uploader, the audio is garbled for the first 2 seconds, and then silence.

Is anyone successfully using iMovie HD? Is anyone using Quicktime Pro? I just need basic editing so Final Cut Pro is too much for me.

Cheers,
    Sheila

When you export the video, don't set audio to anything other than 128kbit, all other settings seem to get that result.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    MacBook simple questions
    A friend of mine is selling his MacBook and I have a few questions. Hopefully the details aren't so vague, that my questions can't be answered...

I still need to figure out screen size to figure the price point.. But:

"The laptop is a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 with 2GB of RAM and a 75GB hard drive."

Questions:
    Can I swap out the drive when the time comes easily enough?
    Is 2GB RAM the max? Or can I load up on some more to help the processor out?
    I'm sure it is, but is wireless built in?
    Anything in general I want to know when asking questions?

I don't need major horsepower. I'd just use this machine when I'm writing code and would never use it for CS3 or anything heavy like that.

I'd do a fresh OS load and all my software, I'm comfy w/ Mac's, just not the laptops..

Thanks for the help thumb.gif

-Jon
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    A friend of mine is selling his MacBook and I have a few questions. Hopefully the details aren't so vague, that my questions can't be answered...

I still need to figure out screen size to figure the price point.. But:

"The laptop is a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 with 2GB of RAM and a 75GB hard drive."

Questions:
    Can I swap out the drive when the time comes easily enough?
    Yes.
    Is 2GB RAM the max? Or can I load up on some more to help the processor out?

Should do, but if it's an older one, might not. But I think so.
    I'm sure it is, but is wireless built in?
    Yes.
    Anything in general I want to know when asking questions?

I don't need major horsepower. I'd just use this machine when I'm writing code and would never use it for CS3 or anything heavy like that.

I'd do a fresh OS load and all my software, I'm comfy w/ Mac's, just not the laptops..

Thanks for the help thumb.gif

-Jon

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thanks David. I knew I'd get a hasty response thumb.gif

So I'll hoping for the deal of the decade, but what would you personally pay if you were going to buy this used but in good condition?

And do you recommend this model? or are there reasons I should keep stashing away more in the piggy bank?
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks David. I knew I'd get a hasty response thumb.gif

So I'll hoping for the deal of the decade, but what would you personally pay if you were going to buy this used but in good condition?

And do you recommend this model? or are there reasons I should keep stashing away more in the piggy bank?

The only reason to spend more, IMO, would be for screen real estate. Yeah, the Pro has some cool features, but really, the only one that I think would make a difference to you is more pixels.

It's less than a year old? (Still under warranty?)

I'm not entirely sure. $650?

20080404-rmc418em4s832qdrf5gnfq1pt4.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    The only reason to spend more, IMO, would be for screen real estate. Yeah, the Pro has some cool features, but really, the only one that I think would make a difference to you is more pixels.

It's less than a year old? (Still under warranty?)

I'm not entirely sure. $650?
    Not sure how old it is. Didn't these MacBooks go into production in 06?
    Thanks for the other info. I don't care too much about real estate. If I do anything tough, I'm working on the beast anyway.

Your a wealth of Mac information David.. You should really be on the Apple payroll :D
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Not sure how old it is. Didn't these MacBooks go into production in 06?
    Thanks for the other info. I don't care too much about real estate. If I do anything tough, I'm working on the beast anyway.

Your a wealth of Mac information David.. You should really be on the Apple payroll :D

Depends on which 2.0GHZ it is:

20080404-g1cmtqt41rngqkff3k7u91kkmf.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

20080404-j87c9qytipkn4gwygi6fib6wk.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

20080404-b434nsh9gb2rk7rg51sexx44cq.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    BTW, you have a Mac already, right? Those screengrabs were from MacTracker. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Ya, but my Mac sits patiently in my closet to be sold or somthing. I have it maxed out on RAM etc, but it just doesn't have the horseposer I need..
    **G4 Quicksilver 733 w/ 1.5GB RAM
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Finally figured out how to do one thing I did in Firefox with Safari.

In FF, highlight a work, right click and you can choose search in google, which will open a new tab in the background.

Safari has the same method, but the search occurs in the current tab, my moment of inspiration, hold down the cmd key while right clicking and choosing search in google, creates a new tab in the background. clap.gif I hope this might help someone else. :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Well I broke down...Just ordered a refurb, 24" 2.16Ghz iMac. I am looking forward to the sweet IPS screen on this thing, and the fact that it is the matte, not glossy screen.

Now, I have to figure out how to connect all my hard drives. My PC is set up with the following: 1 main 160 GB IDE drive for OS and apps, a secondary 40GB IDE (PS scratch), a 160GB SATA drive for photos and video, and an external 250GB USB drive for backup.
    I think it will be a shame losing the 1.5 GB transfer rate on the SATA drive, and going with the poky Firewire 800 MB transfer rate. (not that i will notice, but there was a reason I bought SATA and not IDE hard drives.

My backup drive in already USB, so that is easy. And I have another 40GB as my scratch disk, so I am not sure what to do about that...but suppose I will just use the main iMac drive for that.

Anyone with experience in NewerTech drive enclosures? Any recommendations, or maybe just go with a NAS solution?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Well I broke down...Just ordered a refurb, 24" 2.16Ghz iMac. I am looking forward to the sweet IPS screen on this thing, and the fact that it is the matte, not glossy screen.

Now, I have to figure out how to connect all my hard drives. My PC is set up with the following: 1 main 160 GB IDE drive for OS and apps, a secondary 40GB IDE (PS scratch), a 160GB SATA drive for photos and video, and an external 250GB USB drive for backup.
    I think it will be a shame losing the 1.5 GB transfer rate on the SATA drive, and going with the poky Firewire 800 MB transfer rate. (not that i will notice, but there was a reason I bought SATA and not IDE hard drives.

My backup drive in already USB, so that is easy. And I have another 40GB as my scratch disk, so I am not sure what to do about that...but suppose I will just use the main iMac drive for that.

Anyone with experience in NewerTech drive enclosures? Any recommendations, or maybe just go with a NAS solution?

Congrats!!!

If you're buying enclosures, you're getting firewire, right? Well, if you need it to work with your PC maybe you're not, but it kicks USB's butt around the corner. I have no experience with newertech, they should be fine, I usually buy though macsales.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Congrats!!!

If you're buying enclosures, you're getting firewire, right? Well, if you need it to work with your PC maybe you're not, but it kicks USB's butt around the corner. I have no experience with newertech, they should be fine, I usually buy though macsales.com.

Yes, my choices are USB or Firewire. USB and Firewire 400 have the same throughput, there is no reason to choose one over the other. But this iMac has a Firewire 800 port so I will use that for photo storage. But, I need an enclosure that supports a SATA drive, since that is what I have.

PC is being replaced with the iMac+ Parallels, so I am reusing bits from it that I can.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    USB and Firewire 400 have the same throughput
    Firewire is even supposed to be slower (400 as opposed to 480) but firewire seems to be a whole lot faster for me ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Firewire is even supposed to be slower (400 as opposed to 480) but firewire seems to be a whole lot faster for me ne_nau.gif

That's because it is, in real-world terms. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

The USB protocol requires more work by the CPU than Firewire, which tends to reduce the real world performance on single CPU machines. The best bet is to try both and see which works best on your particular configuration.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Firewire is awesome ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Yes, my choices are USB or Firewire. USB and Firewire 400 have the same throughput, there is no reason to choose one over the other. But this iMac has a Firewire 800 port so I will use that for photo storage.

The truth is:
    USB for compatibility (never for speed)
    FireWire for best speed and compatibility on Macs today
    eSATA for best speed on future computers

The port question is an "And" choice, not an "Or" choice.
    cmason wrote:
    But, I need an enclosure that supports a SATA drive, since that is what I have.

The store above sells SATA drive-compatible enclosures with a grillion ports on the back.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    ya, eSATA blows it all out of the water. You can grab a PCI card for eSATA really cheap too. ($20-30)

USB and Firewires' days are numbered w/ eSATA IMO. They will be around for a long time, just to keep things compatible, but that's about it.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    ya, eSATA blows it all out of the water. You can grab a PCI card for eSATA really cheap too. ($20-30)

USB and Firewires' days are numbered w/ eSATA IMO. They will be around for a long time, just to keep things compatible, but that's about it.

Funny. One reason for buying the iMac is that my SATA adapter AND my LCD are both on the fritz. With my PC aging (AMD Athlon XP 2900+), I am beyond replacing parts. To update my current PC, which I built and have updated and replaced parts over the years ( including firewire), it was going to cost about $1000, going for a good Core2 Duo chip, and motherboard (been burned by cheap MBs), and a 20-24" monitor.

The iMac refurb was $1300, and was a bit lower spec processor and video than I was planning with my rebuild, and has no eSATA port, but it has a much better IPS 24" monitor that I could not have otherwise afforded.

Plus its a new toy rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

That makes sense to me.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Doesn't work too well on an iMac or a laptop, though mwink.gif

There are few to any cases where an eSATA connection will be any faster than a FW 800 connection for a single drive.

Does eSATA also power a drive, or do you need a separate power connector?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

For disk drives, that may be true. But USB is going to be around for a long time to support keyboards, mice, printers and other slow peripherals. Which is really what it was designed for in the first place.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Doesn't work too well on an iMac or a laptop, though mwink.gif

There are few to any cases where an eSATA connection will be any faster than a FW 800 connection for a single drive.

Does eSATA also power a drive, or do you need a separate power connector?

eSATA is considerably faster than firewire 800, both theoretically and practically. eSATA does not have integrated power, yet, but that is coming:

278111462_oDgpv-M.jpg

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    eSATA is considerably faster than firewire 800, both theoretically and practically. eSATA does not have integrated power, yet, but that is coming:

278111462_oDgpv-M.jpg

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

I said with a single drive, because few 7200 RPM mechanisms can push more than 50-60 MB/sec sustained. A drive that can push 60 MB/sec will perform identically on an 80 MB/sec bus as it will on a 150 MB/sec bus (or a 300 MB/sec bus if eSATA supports that now).

A 1967 VW Bus will go the same speed on I-5 as it will on the Autobahn... way below the speed limit in both cases mwink.gif

For a 3.5" powered drive that's hooked up to a desktop machine eSATA makes sense. For a portable machine... no sense.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    For a 3.5" powered drive that's hooked up to a desktop machine eSATA makes sense. For a portable machine... no sense.
    That's the same kind of thing they were saying when they first started commercially developing computers. I'm glad they didn't listen to them. We'd still be using mechanical logic machines..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Moved from 17-in Macbook Pro to 15 in Macbook Pro today. This is nice :)
    Why? The 15 travels more nicely clap.gif
    few weeks later, I am *really* happy with the 15 :) Screen size isn't everything - easy to handle, still hugely powerful (4gb, 2.5ghz)...

Just a plug for considering.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    OK searched this thread, and found that most who use virtualization to run Windows on OS X seem to be favoring VMWare Fusion. But Parallels is really appealing to me for its integration, file sharing and launching of windows apps via preferences.

I have Office 2007, Quicken and PS CS2 for Windows. I will NOT be buying the Mac version of Office, nor trading in my CS2, and of course Quicken is really not an option on the Mac. So I am thinking to use Parallels.

Why does everyone seem to like VMWare better? If you believe this MacTech article, Parallels outperforms VMWare easily running XP. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    That's the same kind of thing they were saying when they first started commercially developing computers. I'm glad they didn't listen to them. We'd still be using mechanical logic machines..
    What sense is there in using an interface whichis absolutely no faster for a portable use case and requires you to schlep a power brick everywhere to use it?

there are not infinite ports; use the best ones for the job.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    I'm at wits end!!!

I have 90mb worth of photos that I want to put on a 128mb SD card. Why won't the SD card take them?!!! I'm trying to send grandma some photos for a digital photo frame.

1) I take a bunch of photos and batch resized them in CS3 to the tiny photo frame size.

2) I drag them onto the card (which I have even erased thoroughly w/disk utility) and I get an error saying "not enough free space to copy xxxxx.jpg" - the funny thing, its just one random file of the 200 or so that comes up as the named file in that message.

3) I click OK on the error, and then the copy dialogue comes up anyway and says "copying x of 200"... only it just copies about the first 80 or so. It does this consistently, only the first 83 files make it over, and the 84th is corrupted. Finder window then still says "80mb available" on the card.

4) Its not the card, I can take 120mb of random other files (movies, word files, etc) and fill it right up, no problems.

WHAT is going on with these photos that I batch??? I have tried using CocoThumbX to strip extra crap, I have tried adding a "save for web" step to my batch resize to strip off exif and all that junk as well.

I just don't get it. This is the second time this has happened. Last time I just gave up and only sent grandma the 80 files that it would take.
    umph.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]