Options

Drugs, cannibals & the volcano.

124»

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    Excellent, excellent, excellent, a real treat, thank you very much for that. What is it that you do to make money? Seems that's a good candidate for a mag piece. Cheers!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Thank you seastack. Im an electrician whom has always wanted to be a journalist but am seriously lacking in education in that department. Heck i would have trouble even spelling if it wasnt for the computer guiding me rolleyes1.gif I often think i would like to study journalism part time though.

It seems to me that you ahve what us americans call the gift of gab.......I don't know how long it took you to knock out his story but it was well documented in both photos and text.....and yea even with spell check available we all have a tought time spelling...of course it would help if I wore my glasses when typingrolleyes1.gif but I just hate bifokals...I loks so un kewl in them..........

Seriously you should just sit down and do a book on this Journey or the one to Glacier.....Dude you got the gift ......use it.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 24, 2008
    davev wrote:
    ...and your daughter will have the most interesting "What I did on my summer Vacation" paper ever.
    Except it's winter down here. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Mate, next time you say "we're going on a resort vacation", I'm booking the same trip, immediately.

Unbelievable. Truly.

Simply amazing!!
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Simply amazing!!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Gus.
    I clicked the reply button, then just stared at the keyboard for a couple of minutes trying to think of what to say.

I sat with you in Glacier and talked to you about your safari trip, some of the things that you had to trust others to do, to help take care of you and yours.
    Your confidence in yourself and your family allow you to take such fantastic trips. I still don't know what to say.

Although I couldn't take a trip like this, (I'd starve to death without fast food) the thought of taking one is what every little boy fantasizes about.

You manage to bring your trips to life though your shots and your words.
    Thanks for posting this thread, it was a really fun read.

And although your daughter might like the comforts of home, she's still out there with Mom and Dad, seeing the world that many of us will never see, except in photos.

As she gets to an age to were she starts telling stories to others, what stories do you think she'll tell?

So to sum it up, Gus, you're that man that a lot of us wanted to grow up to be.
    Your wife is a saint, and your daughter will have the most interesting "What I did on my summer Vacation" paper ever. :D

davev.

15524779-Ti.gif

I don't know what to say, but thank god Dave already said it. Thank you, Dave. Thank you, gus.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 26, 2008
    Gus,

totally awesome mate, it reminds me of the time I have spent in Solomon Islands minus the volcano.

Getting out and mixing it with the native folk in their villages is the only way to get a true perspective of how they live. I wish I could go back with my digital camera rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,

Dave
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2008
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 26, 2008
    Gus:

Absolutely amazing images and adventure tale. You make me feel like I was actually there!

In addition to the fantastic volcano shots these two are indeed publication worthy thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

gus wrote:

296543094_aNjbi-XL.jpg

296544626_8STRA-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    Gus:

Absolutely amazing images and adventure tale. You make me feel like I was actually there!

In addition to the fantastic volcano shots these two are indeed publication worthy thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Tks Angelo. They could hide 10 feet in front of you & you have no idea they were there. They literally covered themselves in leaf litter & jumped up at you when you were about to step on them.

I'm certain if they did that right in front of me I'd create my own "litter" :lol4
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Ok, I'm late to the game here and just finished reading through this thread - THANK YOU for sharing such an amazing journey!!! Incredible...
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Wow! I've been keeping up with this story since you started it. Several times I have started to reply, but all I could do was stare at the keyboard wishing words would come to me. I've enjoyed this thread every bit as much as a good Tom Robbins novel. What you lack in education (as you say) is more than compensated by captivating story telling ability.

Your story is my dream vacation. I feel better knowing there's still places on this over crowded glode where one can trust people.

A few years ago I "vacationed" for several weeks in Columbia and Equador. I actually went there to have a surgery my insurance would not cover after an injury. Your experience was what I hoped for. The people were similiar to your description for the most part: Beautiful, honest, caring, and loved hearing about the United States. I wsh I had went during a better political time. The few times I tried to get away from the city the police would make me return as soon as I was spotted due to guerilla activity. They said that caucasians were routinely kidnapped and held for ransom. After hearing of two whites being taken while I was there I quit pushing my luck and stayed in crowds. I hope I can return to another quiet, simple place. You're definately living a life I envy. Thanks again for sharing.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 28, 2008
    Having spent time with Gus, I can honestly say that his written stories are
    every bit as good as the oral stories.

You say you haven't the education to be a journalist. But when I hear your
    stories or read your writing, I would respectfully disagree. Yours is a writing
    style that envelopes the reader in the story in a way I wish I could. Add to
    that some fantastic photos...you certainly have a gift.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Brilliant, simply brilliant clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Wow, this was simply an amazing read. And those photos of the natives in leaf litter that jumped out at you as well as those close-up volcano shots just floored me. Absolutely stunning and gripping. The volcano bursts remind me of the shots of solar flares! eek7.gif

Thank you so much for sharing.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Wow, this was simply an amazing read. And those photos of the natives in leaf litter that jumped out at you as well as those close-up volcano shots just floored me. Absolutely stunning and gripping. The volcano bursts remind me of the shots of solar flares! eek7.gif

Thank you so much for sharing.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Hell of a ride Gus. Thank you. thumb.gifD Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    I hardly know what to say. It's rare enough to run across someone who has the riveting story-telling abilities you have. And for that someone to also possess the photographic skills you have is truly extraordinary.

I feel as though I was with you every step of the way on your journey and it's an escapade of life that I'll treasure forever.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008