Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    The waitress says, "I know what you want I am doing the Oprah 21 Day Cleanse also."

lol3.gif

Yes going out to eat can be tricky, mostly because of the frustration the servers get when you wholly change an item on the menu. At the Cheesecake Factory (which, btw, totally win because their lunch-sized salads are still huge and they're one of the very few restaurants who don't think it's weird to put BEANS! on a salad) I even had a server warn me that my modified version wouldn't be anything like the original. I said OK. What did they think, that I'd sue them for false taste advertising? lol3.gif

15524779-Ti.gif on the burger paradigm shift. I smell candy and gum these days and practically gag from the scent of the artificial flavors. It doesn't smell like food to me, just a mass of synthesized chemicals. Smelling a steakhouse or someone grilling burgers still makes me go "Mmmm" but at the same time I get sympathy indigestion and heartburn.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Holy Toledo, thank you for that link! wings.gif How very cool.

I just got my books yesterday and will dig in soon, but all these smoothie recipes and pictures made me want to experience the green smoothie myself, so I decided to have a go at it. I was a bit cautious since this was my first try, and I didn't have fresh greens on hand (already used them all--it's nearly grocery shopping time!), so I tossed in:

1 cup frozen spinach
    1 cup carrots
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1/4 tsp honey
    Cinammon
    Ground cloves

It turned out okay. Looks horrid, and I used too much cloves, but not bad for my first try. Certainly drinkable. And now I have the rest of the spinach for dinner tonight! :eat

I also dug up the vegetarian cookbooks I have on hand and have been flagging recipes for ideas. Mmmm, new recipe experimentation. Always fun! :D

Kerry and everyone else, I had put the link to that TB in the first post of this thread for easy finding. Even I have trouble digging that link up, otherwise!

For smoothies, I find frozen mangos, peaches and pineapple to add so much sweetness, sometimes it's even too sweet. I couldn't imagine adding extra sweetner like honey. eek7.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    For smoothies, I find frozen mangos, peaches and pineapple to add so much sweetness, sometimes it's even too sweet. I couldn't imagine adding extra sweetner like honey. eek7.gif

I'll have to look into those fruit options. I just had bananas and strawberries on hand, and it tasted just a little bit too spinach-y for me when I taste-tested it along the way. (Obviously, my tastes haven't adjusted yet. mwink.gif) I'm sure that'll change with time. :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    it tasted just a little bit too spinach-y for me (Obviously, my tastes haven't adjusted yet. mwink.gif) I'm sure that'll change with time. :D

are you using baby spinach or full blown adult spinach?? I find that now matter what kind of smoothie I am making a really good handful of baby spinach is good and I never have tasted it.....of course the base of all of smoothies is either strawberry and a black,rasp...blueberry frozen mix...I only use frozen that state "NO SUGAR ADDED".....I also have found that if you over do the carrots it gets waaaaaay tooooo sweet.....funy I never noticed the sweetness of carrots until I started VITAMIXING them :D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'll have to look into those fruit options. I just had bananas and strawberries on hand, and it tasted just a little bit too spinach-y for me when I taste-tested it along the way. (Obviously, my tastes haven't adjusted yet. mwink.gif) I'm sure that'll change with time. :D

You know what's strange, I have never had luck with frozen veggies. Which is a shame because they're very convenient for smoothies! If the taste and texture aren't terribly appealing maybe it's worth trying fresh for spin?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Yesterdays smoothie was not a hit with the kids. Not sure why.
    Today I put
    2 large kale leaves (as tall as the vitamix blender), 2c baby spinach, and apple, two bananas and half a mango in. And a wee bit of apple juice. Beautiful green smoothie, but it was fairly bland, overpowered by banana flavor and I knew the kids wouldn't like it. So I then added about 3 cups frozen berries - didn't have frozen blue or blackberries so I added a handful of fresh blackberries (cha-ching). Nice red smoothie with more flavor and sweetness.
    My daughter drank it but the boys still didn't like it. Not sure if it is the yogurt they are missing or what.
    My daughter was trying to pin me down on total amounts of fibre, carbs and omega 3!!! Sorry, no food labels here - just nutrients.
    The vitamix sure does a nice job at making things smooth and the really thick consistency without yogurt is great! Hiding kale (not your most friendly veg!) is amazing!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    You know what's strange, I have never had luck with frozen veggies. Which is a shame because they're very convenient for smoothies! If the taste and texture aren't terribly appealing maybe it's worth trying fresh for spin?

The taste was okay, a little bittersweet. I'll certainly try it again and watch my spices more carefully. :giggle

The texture wasn't a problem at all! I took the advice of someone else on here and mixed in stages, starting with the frozen spinach. By the end, it was all smooooooth. I thought about thawing the spinach first, but I figured the frozen state would help the smoothie thickness more, which it did.

So texture: thumb.gif. Taste: headscratch.gif. Color: eek7.gif.

I'll try it with fresh spinach, too. Art, I love baby spinach and almost always use it. Except when it's frozen spinach. :D
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Made these for dinner tonight, and they were mind-blowingly good. :eat

Sweet Potato Burritos

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1/4 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 cup canned black (or kidney) beans, drained and mashed
    1/3 cup water
    1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
    Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
    2-3 (10 inch) wheat tortillas

DIRECTIONS
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Heat for about 30 seconds, then stir in mashed beans, water, mustard, and soy sauce. Heat until warm.
    3. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the tortillas. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.
    4. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.
    Makes 2-3 burritos. Serving size: 1 burrito.

I used black beans and served with salsa. Absolutely scrumptious.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Kerry this sounds SO GOOD. Mind if I pop this recipe into the Tastebook? :D I was just thinking today that it's been a while since we've had a new contribution!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Kerry this sounds SO GOOD. Mind if I pop this recipe into the Tastebook? :D I was just thinking today that it's been a while since we've had a new contribution!

Go ahead! Though I noticed afterward that Andy seems to have shared a very similar recipe in the Tastebook. Perhaps this can be a variation. :D
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Go ahead! Though I noticed afterward that Andy seems to have shared a very similar recipe in the Tastebook. Perhaps this can be a variation. :D

That's also almost exactly like my sweet potato burrito recipe I've been making since college! I keep meaning to write it down as whenever I make them, Sam tells me I need to do so, and that our marriage is over if I forget it before I write it down (it's been 10 years since my friends and I first made them so I think I have it memorized ok)!

I also like to use the filling between two tortillas and cook them quesa-less-quesadilla-style. I can never decide if I like pinto, kidney or black best as the bean in them, usually it's whatever I'm eating at the time. Fresh cilantro is also a nice addition. Back when we ate cheese, really sharp cheddar went super well, as did sour cream. Now, we sometimes garnish with some fresh guacamole.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    That's also almost exactly like my sweet potato burrito recipe I've been making since college! I keep meaning to write it down as whenever I make them, Sam tells me I need to do so, and that our marriage is over if I forget it before I write it down (it's been 10 years since my friends and I first made them so I think I have it memorized ok)!

These have to be one of the best things I've ever tasted! I love sweet potatoes, but I'll admit I was skeptical about them "burrito style." And moreso about pairing them with beans. eek7.gif I had the leftover burrito for lunch today, and it was just as spectacular.

Your spouse knows what's good--and he's smart to hang onto it! mwink.gif And thanks for the quesadilla-style suggestion!

Tonight I made up the asian vegetable primavera from the Tastebook and experienced bok choy for the first time. Had a distinctive smell but no real flavor after cooking it with everything else. I was also skeptical about this dish after I saw how the vegetables piled up after my chopping! But it was soooo yummy. And I'm so full! :D
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Another health scare on tomatoes, but I think certain varieties are not on the list and should be safe to consume. Source unknown.

I just remember the big spinach scare a few years ago and couldn't find it anymore

salmonella outbreak

I think teh "safe" lists keeps on changing as they find out more....
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Another health scare on tomatoes...
    I think this part of the article disturbed me more:
    Among retailers, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. -- the largest grocery seller in the U.S. ...
    eek7.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I think this part of the article disturbed me more:
    Among retailers, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. -- the largest grocery seller in the U.S. ...

eek7.gif
    Why is that scary? The same supply chain that provides for Wal-Mart supplies *90% of the grocery stores that you drive by every day.

Only holistic and REAL natural food stores don't get their food from major distributors. And even some of them cut corners and buy from these distributors and just mark up the price to gain profits from the organic food movement.

*This percentage is give or take 10%
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Another health scare on tomatoes, but I think certain varieties are not on the list and should be safe to consume. Source unknown.

I just remember the big spinach scare a few years ago and couldn't find it anymore

salmonella outbreak

I think teh "safe" lists keeps on changing as they find out more....

Well it is back to the over salted, over sugared ....welll just OVER evryting bad......... canned tomatoes........... YuuuuuuuuuK!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Well it is back to the over salted, over sugared ....welll just OVER evryting bad......... canned tomatoes........... YuuuuuuuuuK!!!!!

You can get unsalted tomatoes. And I don't ever see added sugar, unless you're talking about prepared sauces. headscratch.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

Our paper this morning listed all sorts of fresh tomatoes that are not suspected in this outbreak. That list of things still considered safe includes:
    • Tomatoes sold in a cluster with a piece of the vine still attached
    • Cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes
    • Anything cooked to more than 145 degrees
    • Tomatoes grown and harvested in 27 regions (including California where I am)
    Here are a couple of the FDA links on the issue (including the list of areas thought to be safe):

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html
    http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01848.html
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I wonder what kind of plastic they are using in these balls?
    Especially considering the fact that these things are going to get superheated and chilled over repeatedly..

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/06/water_water_everywhere.html
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I had some meat again today, dumbass me, my body didn't take well to it. Why I had it in the first place is still unclear to me. (that is the dumbass part.)

I was goofing around with Schmoo, who asked me to post one of my goofs, so here I am lol3.gif
    if ( meat == eaten ) { 
        body = upset; 
    }

• Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I had some meat again today, dumbass me, my body didn't take well to it. Why I had it in the first place is still unclear to me. (that is the dumbass part.)

I was goofing around with Schmoo, who asked me to post one of my goofs, so here I am lol3.gif
    if ( meat == eaten ) { 
        body = upset; 
    }

:lol4

Still, I can sympathize with the discomfort and all I can say is... is there hummus among us?
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    After reading ETL I am slowly but surely moving my diet to whole foods and no meat. I tried all at once, but that went downhill fast for me, the slow thing is working out well though. I've purchased the book for a friend and recommended it to 3 others :D

I definitely feel better when I eat right. The most interesting thing ( I may have mentioned before, I don't remember) is that the "food coma" after lunch doesn't happen. That is pretty awesome wings.gif

here's the problem, wondering if anyone else is facing this or even has some ideas on how to handle it. My husband doesn't really care what I eat (he just wants me to be happy) but he will never eat "healthy" like this. He will do healthy things "if it doesn't inconvenience" him (that is what he told me).

One night I made pasta, he loves my pasta - but this night I didn't use meat at all (usually put hamburger in the sauce). He threw a fit, seriously, and refused to eat it. He had cereal for dinner eek7.gif This is not someone that I'll be able to convince he is eating bad - he knows he is, but he loves food and doesnt think its worth living longer if he has to eat stuff he hates and leave stuff he loves. So basically I can use whole foods, but can't cut anything out like meat/cheese (for him).

So what I've been doing is cooking in a healthier style at night and filling my plate with almost all vegis, some rice or pasta and little to no meat. His plate I load up as normal with whatever he wants (meat, cheese, etc). At work for lunch I go 98% vegi/fruit and feel great all afternoon. Is that a decent way to handle the situation? has anyone else here had to deal with a spouse or even kid that refuses to change at all?

One other thing - We just seem to waste a lot of money when i try to do fresh fruit/vegi. In place of that I have been buying frozen fruit and vegis that are not added sweeteners/spices/sauces, etc. My favorite is the "Birdseye Steam In Bag" stuff as I just pop in microwave and it steams perfectly every time, unlike when I try to do it myself. That's cool with the ETL plan isn't it? To use the frozen stuff?
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    It may be easier for me, as my wife doesn't expect me to take care of her cooking, but I find it easier to have no expectations of her, and to let her find her own way with the food. She has changed some, but is not vegan.

Frozen is OK. I use froz. fruit and spinach in my smoothies. He mentions it in the book. I wouldn't rely on it solely, but it's fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    It may be easier for me, as my wife doesn't expect me to take care of her cooking, but I find it easier to have no expectations of her, and to let her find her own way with the food. She has changed some, but is not vegan.

Frozen is OK. I use froz. fruit and spinach in my smoothies. He mentions it in the book. I wouldn't rely on it solely, but it's fine.

Thanks for the reply.

I have to cook dinner (or order out) for the family or they whine and get bad attitudes, and my husband doesn't know how or have a desire to learn how to cook. Left to his own devises he would order Thai every nightrolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

I have to cook dinner (or order out) for the family or they whine and get bad attitudes, and my husband doesn't know how or have a desire to learn how to cook. Left to his own devises he would order Thai every nightrolleyes1.gif

BTW, I do know the feeling of coming home from work hungry and expecting what I'm used to. Before I changed my diet I needed the meat and starches. I could get cranky, as well.

All you can do is do what you can. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I could get cranky, as well.

nod.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Lisa
    My experience is very similar. My husband cooks for our family, and he respects my wish to change the way I eat. He couldn't buy into it and at one time told me the change was too big for the rest of them. I did (do) what you do, and find my way to 100% veg for breakfast and lunch and hope dinner isn't a one pot dish that includes meat. Been doing so about a year. Recently he is trying a bit harder and will join me for meat free dinners, still preparing meat for the kids (3 teenagers -> used to and want meat, not a battle to start now).

Recently I have been the culprit at eating poorly, especially when traveling. Did better this trip, if you overlook eggs at breakfast rolleyes1.gif

Overall, I have incorporated more veg and more whole foods than ever before. It may not be the whole deal, but it is a start (I hope).

Hang in there!!

ann
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Lisa
    My experience is very similar.

Thanks for the comments Ann. Glad to hear I'm not alone in my little battles. Things are definately going better since I stopped fighting and just do what I can on my own time and still give the family what they want. They do love my smoothies made with fruit and Silk instead of milk, and no added sugar. I think I need a new blender tho, my $15 blender from 5 years ago doesn't quite make "smooth" rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Wanting to use up the rest of the bok choy I had on hand, I came across this recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1950,149174-248198,00.html

Now, I only had half a head of bok choy, and this thing needed more veggies as far as I was concerned, so here's my modification. It turned out really yummy, though a touch too sweet, so I'll cut even more sugar next time.

Sweet and Sour Veggie Stir-Fry

1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 or full head bok choy, washed, trimmed, & cut into 1" pieces
    1 sliced sweet onion
    8-10 shiitake mushrooms
    1 large sweet potato, peeled, quartered, and sliced thinly (~1/4")
    1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
    1/8 c. packed Splenda brown sugar substitute
    1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1/4 c. red wine vinegar

Heat oil in large skillet, add bok choy, onion, mushrooms, sweet potato, and bell pepper. Cook and stir over medium high heat 4-5 minutes. Blend sugar, vinegar and ginger; add to skillet. Mix well. Cover and steam 2 minutes. Combine soy sauce and cornstarch with 1/2 cup water. Add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened. Makes 3 to 4 servings.

I also served it over 1/3 cup brown rice. I think any grain of your preference would do.

I used the veggies I had on hand, so I imagine this is very adaptable.

I've also found that adding a Granny Smith apple to my green smoothies really eliminates the bitterness of the spinach and allows me to use only one small banana and whatever other fruits I like--so I get a sweet-tart smoothie that doesn't just taste like banana. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice doesn't hurt, either. :D
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can get unsalted tomatoes. And I don't ever see added sugar, unless you're talking about prepared sauces. headscratch.gif

If the stores carry them......my prob is that I eat a lot of tomatoes.....it is in nearly everything I eat....from chili to any pasta dish and also on all my salads....... unfortunately the only unsalted ones are in the tiny cans.....not the huge (28 or 30 oz) or gallon cans..........

Every can of tomatoes I have, has sugar in them.....as matter of fact every can of veggie I have has some sugar in it.......:D