Options

The get ready for the new cart thread

Comments

• Options
    northphotonorthphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Yup, you are right Andy I did!! my mistake. I can't wait for this option, and in my case I think it will boost sales.

Paul, you missed the part that Baldy said: This Cart release is what is laying the foundation for coupons and more.[/quote]
  • Options
    RikkiRikki Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    This is sweet! Thanks team!

clap.gif
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Those of you asking about the "pro lab" mentioned in Baldy's news item - what that means is, we're exploring the option of using additional lab(s) and this shopping cart change is a necessary first step to allow for that. We don't actually have any news on this other than it's something we hope to have in the future deal.gif

Interesting, and quite possibly a huge pothole.

How do you handle "True" color in a situation with multiple labs for the same size print?

(rhetorical question for now, I know its not a real concern yet)

In other news, I understand visible branding for the cart might be problematic (I don't totally buy the "ordering from multiple accounts" arguement, but I'll let it stand for now), but it sure would be nice to have some kind of hook for StatCounter and Google Analytics...
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    (I don't totally buy the "ordering from multiple accounts" arguement, but I'll let it stand for now),

Yeah, that struck me as odd as well. I can't, for the life of me, think of a time would I have ever needed to order photos from two different accounts. I guess it is possible, I just cant imagine why. If I was going to do that, I would make it two seperate orders.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:
    Yeah, that struck me as odd as well. I can't, for the life of me, think of a time would I have ever needed to order photos from two different accounts. I guess it is possible, I just cant imagine why. If I was going to do that, I would make it two seperate orders.
    I wouldn't, you would get nicked for double the shipping fees.

But then I'm a cheap b---ard. :D

Honestly, MY customers come to MY site to buy MY (event) pictures.

I doubt too many of them are trolling around random SM sites looking for other pictures to purchase. But I guess it is a possibility. rolleyes1.gif

Similarly, I don't want random visitors dropping in, so I have most of the "discover me" options turned off.

If only I could kill RSS feeds and the iPhone interface without doing a total site lockdown.

How about it guys?
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Currency!?!?!
    I haven't had a chance to read all 11 pages of comments, but the screenshots have lost the USD tags... Aaargh. A shopping cart overhaul and not only is there no international currency options, but you show your true colours and forget that there are people that don't use $USD.

Please add back $USD tags beside the prices of the photos and the totals.

Surely that's a small price to pay not to have to do it properly and offer multiple currencies.

Cheers - N
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    I agree! Almost everyone that has ordered from my smugmug site (from various levels of society) have commented to me about how fun it was... the casual verbiage is a large part of that; I like it! thumb.gif

Oh, and great work on the new cart, I'm looking forward to being able to offer coupons and cd's / dvd's... :)
    Just to be clear. I was the first person who brought this verbiage issue up.

I was having a bad day.

I like the verbiage, it should stay the way it is. That's what makes SmugMug SmugMug.

Mike.
  • Options
    granthansongranthanson Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    True Color vs Auto
    I always set my own colors and therefore have my gallerys set to true. I see on the new ordering system the customer has the option to order auto color or true. How will that effect my gallerys?
    Baldy wrote:
    I know many of youz would love advanced notice for things that your customers will see that change their experience. This is a big one. I've posted some screen shots before but long ago and now it's possible that we're within a week of shipping.

Disclaimer 1: These are taken from our test server so the prices you see have no bearing on the prices you'll see when it goes live.

Disclaimer 2: Not all the text is as it will be.

Disclaimer 3: It isn't out of test yet so more bugs could be found to hold up the release.

Disclaimer 4: I wish we could put it on the beta server too like we did with the ajaxed galleries, but in the case of a secure shopping cart where products come out, it would be hard.

Disclaimer 5: We'd love to hear feedback and feature requests, but new features at this stage would make significant delays. Coupons, interfacing to a pro lab, etc., all depend on the cart so we'd have to trade off feature requests that would delay the cart + features that depend on the cart against something that would start the testing cycle all over again.

Unless it's a showstopper, our inclination is to hold the implementation of feature requests until release 1.1 or whatever.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I always set my own colors and therefore have my gallerys set to true. I see on the new ordering system the customer has the option to order auto color or true. How will that effect my gallerys?

Hey guess what. Your customer has that option right now! AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

11doh.gif

Same as it ever was. If they override your default, make changes during proof delay.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I have not read the entire thread, so i apologizers if this has been mentioned already.
    I love everything you guys are trying to accomplish, big kudos. clap.gif

1. What i personally would like to see is, an option for orders to be sent directly to a photographer. Ex.: Customer picked up shots, dropped into shopping card with desired products, sizes, whatnot, he/she clicks a button (perhaps a separate option?) to send order directly to the photographer, not to smugmug for order.
    I hope you are understanding what i mean. Is there an event remote possibility to do this?

2. Does shopping cart must be "smugmug" color? Woudn't it be nice to have shopping area to match theme of your website?

Ok, i'm probably asking too much, but hey, you never know :D

Thanks for listening. Everything else looks great!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    TalkieT wrote:
    Please add back $USD tags beside the prices of the photos and the totals.
    They'll Be In There.
  • Options
    SqueezerSqueezer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    They'll Be In There.
    Looks good, although of course the big improvement many of us would LOVE to see billing in other currencies ( Like $AUD ) thumb.gif and then we will be really excited
  • Options
    waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Packages
    Got here late. Most of my concerns were already brought up. Really in need of the packages option. As it stands now I have to run 2 sites sm and another for my events so I can have packages.
  • Options
    Rob Greer PhotographyRob Greer Photography Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:
    Hey guess what. Your customer has that option right now! AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

And I never noticed that before today. That doesn't make it any less disappointing. Especially after reading the page describing the difference between the two. I think the descriptions are unclear at best. The only positive is that the page mentions that pros use true color. I hope my clients are smart enough to pick that out of all that text. In any event, as a pro user, I think that if I set True Color for my gallery, that option should not be available to my clients. This requirement is not dissimilar to the fact that I want to be able to remove certain products from my offerings (e.g. keychains, mugs, etc.).

I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I also think that the "cutsy" text isn't appropriate for all pro businesses. I can ppossibly get away with it from my own branding perspective but it's a borderline call and I'd prefer it to be stated in a more professional manner. For other businesses, I can clearly see how that messaging would be totally unacceptable.

For pro accounts where we are selling our images, we aren't selling SmugMug or SmugMug services--we are selling our own brand. Therefore, if the shopping cart messaging is clear and businesslike, you won't be offending any of your clients (us) or our clients (them). However, to simply add cute text because you like to see it that way isn't supported from a business logic perspective. I doubt you can provide any substantive reasoning behind why you want to use that cute text other than your subjective preference. Do you think Pictage or other professional photo services provide offer up that kind of cute messaging? Let me put it another way, if you were in a professional environment, perhaps meeting a client for the first time, would you walk into the room and exclaim "Who loves you baby?" I think not.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    This looks good! Real good!

I've read through the thread and there's one thing that is not really mentioned. Branding. In the screenshots, I do not see a smugmug logo. As a pro, that is great. It's always bothered me that the SM logo shows in the cart. There's already a tons of links at the bottom of everypage in the footer. Can't that be stripped down the abbreviated footer? I digress.

What I would LOVE to see is a way to upload a logo of our choice for the cart. This should absolutely be an option for pro account holders. Even better, would be a way to customize the basic color scheme of the cart to match our site colors. This would be an excellent step in the right direction for pros.

I can envision a basic screen that lists the basic parts of the cart where we enter rgb or hex values. Click save and the cart would have those colors. Come on guys! I know you can do it!

Please????
    We're very interested in giving as much branding as we can in the future, including a thank-you print in the box that you design. In this cart, we do put a line for your studio name by each item and hopefully in the future we can do more.

The problem we face is chargebacks. When someone finds a great shot on Moon River Photography and adds it to the cart, they expect to see Moon River Photography on the credit card statement. When they see SmugMug photo processing because you're not an American Express merchant, they call American Express and report a fraudulent charge. American Express refunds their money, charges us an extra $15 in penalties and dings our credit because customers are saying we charge cards fraudulently.

Also, they expect to call you if their package is lost or damaged.

So we need to keep it clear that the photographs are yours but their cc bill will be SmugMug photo processing.
  • Options
    KatseyeKatseye Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    order options
    ShepsMom wrote:
    1. What i personally would like to see is, an option for orders to be sent directly to a photographer. Ex.: Customer picked up shots, dropped into shopping card with desired products, sizes, whatnot, he/she clicks a button (perhaps a separate option?) to send order directly to the photographer, not to smugmug for order.
    I hope you are understanding what i mean. Is there an event remote possibility to do this?

That is exactly what I would like to see...client places order and order comes to the photographer instead of going directly to the lab! Any possibility of this happening? I live in a small town and like to keep the face-to-face contact as well as approve the print order before the client receives it.

Kat
    'Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!'
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    However, to simply add cute text because you like to see it that way isn't supported from a business logic perspective. I doubt you can provide any substantive reasoning behind why you want to use that cute text other than your subjective preference. Do you think Pictage or other professional photo services provide offer up that kind of cute messaging? Let me put it another way, if you were in a professional environment, perhaps meeting a client for the first time, would you walk into the room and exclaim "Who loves you baby?" I think not.
    Just to be clear, "Who loves ya baby?!" is an email from us to you, not to your customers.

I can certainly understand your concern and if I were a Pictage customer coming over my eyebrows might go up too.

But we do a lot of testing on these words and can say with a lot of confidence that corporate language has really become ineffective on the Internet over the last 5 years or so.

Unknown brands like Google burst on the scene with buttons that say, "I'm feeling lucky" on their homepage and won hearts. Amazon's cart says, when it's empty, "Your cart lives to serve. Fill it with books and DVDs to give it purpose." Companies with names like International Business Machines are considered stogy, but companies with names like Yahoo! become Internet darlings (until they screw up and let even more irreverent brands like Google take over).

Apple was once considered an embarrassment and it's jean-wearing CEO was unprofessional (I used to work for him and know how painful it used to be). Now its attitude has made it the coolest and most respected brand, even ahead of the other non-corporate but great brands like Nike, Annie Liebovitz, Google, etc.

I have a lot of respect for your point of view but all the data we see indicates that being human and less corporate and emotionless is a key to our growth, which is many times what Pictage's is. All our customer research points that way.
  • Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Just to be clear, "Who loves ya baby?!" is an email from us to you, not to your customers.

I can certainly understand your concern and if I were a Pictage customer coming over my eyebrows might go up too.

But we do a lot of testing on these words and can say with a lot of confidence that corporate language has really become ineffective on the Internet over the last 5 years or so.

Unknown brands like Google burst on the scene with buttons that say, "I'm feeling lucky" on their homepage and won hearts. Amazon's cart says, when it's empty, "Your cart lives to serve. Fill it with books and DVDs to give it purpose." Companies with names like International Business Machines are considered stogy, but companies with names like Yahoo! become Internet darlings (until they screw up and let even more irreverent brands like Google take over).

Apple was once considered an embarrassment and it's jean-wearing CEO was unprofessional (I used to work for him and know how painful it used to be). Now its attitude has made it the coolest and most respected brand, even ahead of the other non-corporate but great brands like Nike, Annie Liebovitz, Google, etc.

I have a lot of respect for your point of view but all the data we see indicates that being human and less corporate and emotionless is a key to our growth, which is many times what Pictage's is. All our customer research points that way.

I just wanted to add that I have always appreciated the language smugmug uses and for me I think it reflects my personality and that is part of why I like smugmug so much.

I understand the branding arguement too and think it would be a cool idea but I am also not offended in any way by the way things are handled now b/c I love the convience of having smugmug "do the work" when an order is place. I know I am not the same as lot of the more professional photographers but I can say that anytime I have purchased professional photos I was not turned off by knowing someone other than the photographer was actually doing the printing. Hope that made sense:)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    if they all have the same settings, yes. http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage

Also: The EXCELLENT SmugBrowser Firefox Addon is a quick way to touch lots of galleries thumb.gif

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

SmugBrowser will not load as FF3 pops up a message that is not compatable.........................eek7.gifne_nau.gifcry:cry:cry

Gawd....I am 10 pages away from where I started out........... Laughing.gifLaughing.gifLaughing.gif Oh Toto we're not in ks any more....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Vivid VisionsVivid Visions Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    My two cents
    I'm sorry I'm late to this, and I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts. (I gave up around page 8) So, if I may just share the two things on my mind, I know I can trust the great folks at Smugmug to make it happen it they can.thumb.gif

1. The option to print just part of the confirmed order page is important to me. I don't need pages and pages of an order that is just thumbnails of 400 wedding proofs, but I do want the confirmation number, which is on the first page now, and the final cost for the order with shipping, which is on the last page now. Either put them together on one page, preferably the first, or make sure we can still just print the selected pages.

2. I agree that "Who's getting the goods" is a bit snarky. A similar line that is playful would be welcome, but I'm a little uncomfortable with this particular phrase. What about something along the lines of "feeding the mailbox" or "sending the stuff." To me "stuff" is a colloquialism that has a more positive meaning. "She's stuff." in my area usually means hot and cute. "Goods" does have a seedly underbelly connotation in my mind.

So I've said it. You'll think about it, and soon my customers and I have will have a wicked cool new UI to enjoy. Can't wait!!!!:D
    Judy
    Vivid Vision: A bright and distinct object of extraordinary beauty, presented in a clear and striking manner.
    http://www.vividvisionsphoto.com http://vividvisions.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    yeah please hang in there, that's not part of this release. It's something we've talked about, I'd love to see us do, but can't promise that it can be done. But we talk about it lots and I'm trying. Thank you.

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I know this is not slated for this phase of the release. That's cool. Baby steps. I'm finewith that. But I truly feel you will have buckets of love from all the pros if you let us brand that shopping cart. You know as well as I do that branding is key to sales, so please let us pros brand our shopping cart. Let's not confuse our customers with a completely different colored shopping cart that all of a sudden has the name smugmug at the top (instead of the Photographers name or header which they've seen all along). I'm sure some customers get confused about that because I've been asked more than once about it. I actually had a customer stop their order becasue they thought something was fishy about it because they no longer saw my colors and logo.

BTW I have referred about 4 other photographes in the last few months and they all love it but every single one of them balks over the smugmug branded shopping cart so I know I'm not alone on this. I know you're considering it so please know that we appreciate your consideration of this request.

Thanks for all you guys do!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    I want to project a professional image. Way too cutesy. No offense. Keep the "Who loves ya baby" if you must in communications only to me.

I agree. For casual photos, yeah no problem.

But for my professional work, it's not really appropriate. I would love the option to modify the text of the email (and subject) via some type of form in our contro panel.

I can dream can't i? :D
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    2. I agree that "Who's getting the goods" is a bit snarky.
    Same. We currently have it as "Who's the lucky one?"

(The title of the page which you can't miss is Shipping Address.)
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I also think that the "cutsy" text isn't appropriate for all pro businesses. I can ppossibly get away with it from my own branding perspective but it's a borderline call and I'd prefer it to be stated in a more professional manner. For other businesses, I can clearly see how that messaging would be totally unacceptable.

For pro accounts where we are selling our images, we aren't selling SmugMug or SmugMug services--we are selling our own brand. Therefore, if the shopping cart messaging is clear and businesslike, you won't be offending any of your clients (us) or our clients (them). However, to simply add cute text because you like to see it that way isn't supported from a business logic perspective. I doubt you can provide any substantive reasoning behind why you want to use that cute text other than your subjective preference. Do you think Pictage or other professional photo services provide offer up that kind of cute messaging? Let me put it another way, if you were in a professional environment, perhaps meeting a client for the first time, would you walk into the room and exclaim "Who loves you baby?" I think not.

Amen to that. I couldn't have said it any better.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    We're very interested in giving as much branding as we can in the future, including a thank-you print in the box that you design. In this cart, we do put a line for your studio name by each item and hopefully in the future we can do more.

The problem we face is chargebacks. When someone finds a great shot on Moon River Photography and adds it to the cart, they expect to see Moon River Photography on the credit card statement. When they see SmugMug photo processing because you're not an American Express merchant, they call American Express and report a fraudulent charge. American Express refunds their money, charges us an extra $15 in penalties and dings our credit because customers are saying we charge cards fraudulently.

Also, they expect to call you if their package is lost or damaged.

So we need to keep it clear that the photographs are yours but their cc bill will be SmugMug photo processing.

Is it possible for you to place some prominent text on the order confirmation page that states something like this?

"(Insert studio or account name) will be fufilling your print and merchandise order through Smugmug, a premium order fufilment partner. Please note that charges related to this order will show as Smugmug on your credit or debit card statement.

Confirm Order?"

Something along those lines...???
  • Options
    Jay_SJay_S Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    All,

I'll repeat a request from a few pages ago. Can a customer just add random photos to the cart without having to pick a size, paper, etc. I would like to have the customer add as many photos as they'd like and then make choices as to size, cropping, paper, quantity, etc. I don't see a way to do that. Pressing the cart icon immediately brings up the dialog box. I think that if people are ordering larger quantities of photos, that going to the dialog box with each photo might get tiresome.

Jay S.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    However, to simply add cute text because you like to see it
    We never do this. Every word on our site is agonized over and quibbled more than you'll ever possibly know :D

See Baldy's post here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=859051&postcount=168
  • Options
    tundracampertundracamper Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Great job on the new interface.

I do look forward to coupons.

Also, I completely agree with comments on True/Auto options. If nothing else, this option should be made small so that only experienced users would tweak it. In the future, I would recomment an option to enable/disable this feature. One option would be in our Gallery Customize for
    - Auto
    - True
    - Buyer Select upon Checkout

That way, we can have the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    xaeinsteinxaeinstein Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    Cart improvement thread
    Quite frankly the singlemost flexible cart enhancement needed is the ability to process "discount coupons". You allow pricing by portfolio/gallery/photo but NOT by customer. A "coupon" is not a perfect way to do this, but it accomplishes it quite simply (no client logon required).
    It also allows a way to encourage and more importantly reward repeat customer business -- create and reward loyal clients. It would allow you to have your cake and eat it: set price for portfolio/galleries/photos but also differentiate pricing at the client level (or seasonally) --
    It's a simple (almost crude) but useful way to make pricing much more dynamic than it already is.<br>[As you can tell I don't feel strongly about this -- I'm not eager to have this feature at all :-) ]
  • Options
    coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I love the new look, and any of my two cents has already been covered in the thread.

...Great Job SmugMug and thanks for continuing to work as hard as all of your pro clients.