Options

The get ready for the new cart thread

Comments

• Options
    DeeDeeODeeDeeO Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Rene` wrote:
    S

Save the order for later. Some times I have large orders and it would really be a benefit!

me, too!!!! :)
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Wow, this looks great. I agree with everyone who's said that coupons should be the first add after the new UI. If I could hand out coupons as rewards to customers, they'd visit my site more, buy more print, and therefore Smugmug would make more money! :D
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Bingo.
    Wow, this looks great. I agree with everyone who's said that coupons should be the first add after the new UI. If I could hand out coupons as rewards to customers, they'd visit my site more, buy more print, and therefore Smugmug would make more money! :D
  • Options
    DotCom EditorDotCom Editor Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    It's still wrong
    Why does Smugmug insist on giving grandma and grandpa the option to choose "auto" or "true" color when ordering pictures of the little kiddies?

1. They don't know what it is
    2. It's not their choice to make -- it is the Pro Photographer's decision

If I'm misunderstanding something, please set me straight! But I have to get on my soapbox and say this is not for the customer to choose.
  • Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it didn't occur to us that some people wouldn't want the filenames shown. It's one of those things where it was asked for so fervently so many times...and I don't think we heard the other side, at least I didn't. How serious an issue is this?

Please keep the file names!!! Until you get coupons, I place orders for customers who get a print credit with their wedding package. Having the file names in the shopping cart is indispensable for keeping track of their order and reducing errors.

I like the new look, especially the cropping tools. Kudos to a company that gives its customers the opportunity to preview changes and give input!

According the message in the control panel, this will pave the way for coupons and other printers??? SWEET!

Sam
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 25, 2008
    Rene` wrote:
    S

Save the order for later. Some times I have large orders and it would really be a benefit!

That functionality exists right now, at least to some extent. They are saved as a cookie in your web browser.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    My two cents.
    Cart looks good, though I'm not clear why the change is necessary? If my memory is sound that's three cart UIs in 18 months and still no coupons, packages or co-branding?

I agree that the colour balance buttons are, at best, un-necessary. As a pro, that should be under my control and my control only. Giving the buyer the choice only adds confusion.

For what it's worth, I agree that the auto balance works well.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Why does Smugmug insist on giving grandma and grandpa the option to choose "auto" or "true" color when ordering pictures of the little kiddies?

1. They don't know what it is
    2. It's not their choice to make -- it is the Pro Photographer's decision

If I'm misunderstanding something, please set me straight! But I have to get on my soapbox and say this is not for the customer to choose.
    Lots of great feedback on this particular user choice - I can foresee a change to this but possibly not with this week's cart release. We're talking about this for sure though, all of us.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I think the "Change" link and the "+Add Another Item" button should be closer together and say "Change this item" and "Add to this Item". I am guessing this brings up the same overlay as it is now?

edited to add:
    I just realized it is probably too late to make these closer together, but maybe the change in description would be more clear to my average customer.

Make the Remove button smaller if needed.

Thanks for letting me know about this thread via message in my pro home page!!

Scott
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    xris wrote:
    Cart looks good, though I'm not clear why the change is necessary? If my memory is sound that's three cart UIs in 18 months and still no coupons, packages or co-branding?
    I'm not aware of a cart UI change in years. The three things you mention depend on this change, plus pro lab integration.
  • Options
    shirelandstudiosshirelandstudios Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    Visual Progress
    Hi,

Looking at the images of the checkout process, it appears that page information is only added and placed on the right side under the "Order Summary" as a Customer fills out data.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but would it prove beneficial to have the the page titles (Shipping To, Shipping Type, Billing To, etc.) already on the right side as a visual indicator to the Customer of the overall progress.

At the start of checkout, the sections on the right side would be ghosted out. As the Customer proceeds, data would be added to the section showing that it is complete. This would allow Customers to see that they are only 'X' number of clicks away from completing their transaction.

BTW, thanks for the hard work. :D
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 26, 2008
    xris wrote:

The previous changes were the in-gallery cart, for adding photos to your cart.

This is a redesign/enhancement of the "check-out" screens thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Baldy,

These changes are awesome. My customers will love it. Can't wait for those coupons. Those are always good sales drivers. Keep the good stuff coming.

wings.gif
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Oh! In that case....
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm not aware of a cart UI change in years. The three things you mention depend on this change, plus pro lab integration.
    Ahhh! It all becomes less smoky now. I'll be looking forward to the implementation of those key features.

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    4middleman4middleman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    Speaking of upgrade
    Is there a road map to providing package sales? It would be great to provide this products, such as portraits and sports packages. :D

TIA,
    Anthony
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    DeeDeeO wrote:
    With respect to having customers choose "auto" vs "true".......please make it go away in the cart!!!

You know having the customers have the option to select "Auto" correct vs "true" is way to scary. Most do not know the difference. We'll have a Costco Nightmare
    To be clear this isn't something new, it's been in the cart for years :) Though we're considering modding it now based on feedback - but we don't wanna derail cart release so it may wait...

Don't forget that proof delay will allow you to double check your orders.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    From everything that has been said the roadmap goes like this:

Step #1 - Implement New Cart
    Step #2 - Add Coupons and Packages

As you can see, we are in the middle of a giant step forward.
    4middleman wrote:
    Is there a road map to providing package sales? It would be great to provide this products, such as portraits and sports packages. :D

TIA,
    Anthony
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:

We're gonna have wording in the cart that is consistent with our style as a Company. And "Who's getting the goods" and "Who's Paying" fit right in, IMO.

I agree! Almost everyone that has ordered from my smugmug site (from various levels of society) have commented to me about how fun it was... the casual verbiage is a large part of that; I like it! thumb.gif

Oh, and great work on the new cart, I'm looking forward to being able to offer coupons and cd's / dvd's... :)
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    4middleman4middleman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    That's great to hear. Just curious what time frame is that road map.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Awesome stuff! thumb.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    4middleman wrote:
    That's great to hear. Just curious what time frame is that road map.

That kind of depends on much more complaining they get on the new cart. If they continue to make changes to their proposed cart, then the time frame will be pushed out. If they can finalize the new cart and roll it out, then coupons and packages will come sooner.

For those of us that have been waiting several years for coupons and packages, a couple more days doesn't seem like a big deal.

Of course don't look at me. I'm sitting here at work looking at the old shopping cart on my website pushing the refresh button over and over, hoping the new one will somehow appear.
  • Options
    Mark_SMark_S Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    And order confirms look like this:

317323141_WAQHx-XL.png

FYI, either lack of data or the easiest bug you'll fix today -- the State is missing in the 'Billing To' field. :) Looks nice, guys.
  • Options
    bratsscrappybratsscrappy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I don't want to sound negative here, but will the text be customizable? The "Who's getting the goods" and "Who's Paying" text, while cute, may not be the most "customer friendly" from some people's perspective....

No offense intended.

Mike Strock
    http://fourangelsphotography.smugmug.com/

I agree, it does not provide a professional feedback to the experience.
  • Options
    b2pixb2pix Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    What is this "pro-lab integration" ? Is that self fulfilment? I would love to use the cart, but I want to be able to repackage, inspect, and use the lab of my choice....
  • Options
    tbrennantbrennan Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    Shoppers color choices
    Baldy wrote:
    I know many of youz would love advanced notice for things that your customers will see that change their experience. This is a big one. I've posted some screen shots before but long ago and now it's possible that we're within a week of shipping.

Disclaimer 1: These are taken from our test server so the prices you see have no bearing on the prices you'll see when it goes live.

Disclaimer 2: Not all the text is as it will be.

Disclaimer 3: It isn't out of test yet so more bugs could be found to hold up the release.

Disclaimer 4: I wish we could put it on the beta server too like we did with the ajaxed galleries, but in the case of a secure shopping cart where products come out, it would be hard.

Disclaimer 5: We'd love to hear feedback and feature requests, but new features at this stage would make significant delays. Coupons, interfacing to a pro lab, etc., all depend on the cart so we'd have to trade off feature requests that would delay the cart + features that depend on the cart against something that would start the testing cycle all over again.

Unless it's a showstopper, our inclination is to hold the implementation of feature requests until release 1.1 or whatever.

In the shopping cart the shopper has 2 choices (auto and true) - have you considered mouse-over tool tips to distinguish between the 2 choices? Many folks won't know what to choose here - in my experience.

TB
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    tbrennan wrote:
    In the shopping cart the shopper has 2 choices (auto and true) - have you considered mouse-over tool tips to distinguish between the 2 choices? Many folks won't know what to choose here - in my experience.

TB

Just out of curiosity... have you read the rest of the thread? There are about 5 pages of "auto vs true" discussion.
  • Options
    ndsimmndsimm Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    didn't see it posted (although it was 12 pages long), but what about coupons and print credit? Would it be possible for us to pay into an account and offer a user print credit or a coupon on a gallery?
  • Options
    Mike KalcevicMike Kalcevic Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    ndsimm wrote:
    didn't see it posted (although it was 12 pages long), but what about coupons and print credit? Would it be possible for us to pay into an account and offer a user print credit or a coupon on a gallery?

Is there a way to not give the customer the option for auto or true colors?? I prefer handleing the colors myself, rather than the clients.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Looks really good guys! Keep up the good work! Coupons and pro lab of choice would be absolutely amazing features (fingers crossed)!!!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Photo by: Chris
    Filename: 33709050-O
    Filename: IMG_12345.jpg

I like both Filenames.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images