Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I can cd to / and ls will show /etc, but etc does not show in the Finder when I do open .

If you want to do this a lot, download free TinkerTool and flip the switch that makes invisible files and folders visible. The file system windows will get a lot more cluttered, but you can turn it back off after you're done.

TinkerTool is one of those apps that contains an easy GUi to many switches that are otherwise accessible by Terminal command line only. But with this, you don't have to remember any commands. There's a bunch of cool stuff in there.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Should work.
    Thanks, David. I'll find out (hopefully) today. I am awaiting the FedEx truck to drive up with my new toy.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    If you want to do this a lot, download free TinkerTool and flip the switch that makes invisible files and folders visible. The file system windows will get a lot more cluttered, but you can turn it back off after you're done.

TinkerTool is one of those apps that contains an easy GUi to many switches that are otherwise accessible by Terminal command line only. But with this, you don't have to remember any commands. There's a bunch of cool stuff in there.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like just what I want. I'll check it out. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Is there any difference between the RAM that you get when you order a MAC from Apple and the memory you can get from other online sources (assuming the same basic specs; e.g., both are listed at 800 MHz DDR2 fully buffered)?

Apple's prices are HUGE compared to Kingston's price at Newegg.com.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    yea, the prices are huge.

and, I suppose, under warranty and/or AppleCare.

crucial.com is your friend, no matter what brand hardware you use.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Is there any difference between the RAM that you get when you order a MAC from Apple and the memory you can get from other online sources...?

No need to buy Apple RAM. You definitely don't want to get just any RAM with the same specs. Best to go with a known good supplier of Mac RAM. Fortunately that list is long. Crucial, Kingston, Ramjet, OWC, Transintl...You can basically shop on price as long as the company has a lifetime exchange warranty so that any failures are guaranteed to be taken care of.

I've got OWC RAM in a few Macs with no failures. You can comparison shop at ramseeker.com, a Mac-specific site.

There are plenty of companies just as reliable as Crucial but often cheaper.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    StevenV wrote:
    yea, the prices are huge.

and, I suppose, under warranty and/or AppleCare.

crucial.com is your friend, no matter what brand hardware you use.
    colourbox wrote:
    No need to buy Apple RAM. You definitely don't want to get just any RAM with the same specs. Best to go with a known good supplier of Mac RAM. Fortunately that list is long. Crucial, Kingston, Ramjet, OWC, Transintl...You can basically shop on price as long as the company has a lifetime exchange warranty so that any failures are guaranteed to be taken care of.

I've got OWC RAM in a few Macs with no failures. You can comparison shop at ramseeker.com, a Mac-specific site.

There are plenty of companies just as reliable as Crucial but often cheaper.
    Thanks for the replies. That's what I figured. I got 4 GB preinstalled as I am not sure when I will be getting more (if I ever need to).
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    A few more questions:

Which one: Bootcamp? Fusion? Parallels?

I am awaiting arrival of a MacPro. I will still need to run WinXP Pro for some Windows-only apps that I must use. Should I just run Bootcamp, or do I need Fusion or Parallels? Is one option better than others?

Also, data files created in the WinXP environment - will they be available only in the WinXP VM?

Also, if I want to backup all my datafiles to an external drive, will I have to have one backup media formated for MAc and one formated NTFS?

What backup software is suggested?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    A few more questions:

Which one: Bootcamp? Fusion? Parallels?

I am awaiting arrival of a MacPro. I will still need to run WinXP Pro for some Windows-only apps that I must use. Should I just run Bootcamp, or do I need Fusion or Parallels? Is one option better than others?

Also, data files created in the WinXP environment - will they be available only in the WinXP VM?

Also, if I want to backup all my datafiles to an external drive, will I have to have one backup media formated for MAc and one formated NTFS?

What backup software is suggested?

VMware Fusion, ftw.

I run it on two macs. I have WinXP and Win Vista on both machines, and I moves files back/forth all the time.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    VMware Fusion, ftw.

I run it on two macs. I have WinXP and Win Vista on both machines, and I moves files back/forth all the time.
    Thanks, Andy. thumb.gif
    What about backup software? I prefer to have something run daily. Does the MacPro come with that, or do I need to get a 3rd party app?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. thumb.gif
    What about backup software? I prefer to have something run daily. Does the MacPro come with that, or do I need to get a 3rd party app?

It will come with Time Machine. It backs up every hour, every day, every week. Drop dead simple. If you want to make a bootable drive, then the answer is SuperDuper, which is inexpensive shareware, and awesome. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    It will come with Time Machine. It backs up every hour, every day, every week. Drop dead simple. If you want to make a bootable drive, then the answer is SuperDuper, which is inexpensive shareware, and awesome. thumb.gif
    Thanks for that info David.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's a winning formula IMHO! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Providing long distance support.

I'm pretty good at helping others with their Macs, but my mom will soon be relying on me much more in providing her with support. She's smart and quick, but no g33k.

What I'm looking for are ideas on how best to provide support to someone long distance.

Here's what I'm doing already:
    • I'm going to be setting her up on Leopard so that I can do the whole remote desktop thing with her.
    • I'm going to make sure she's doing regular backups via Time Machine to a dedicated drive.
    • I'm going to make sure that her most important files are backed up offsite. I'm open to ideas on what that should look like.

What else should I think about? She's going to be taking over the household finances, which is new to her. Aside from that it will be the normal email, word processing, web surfing stuff. Nothing too tricky.

So, here's what I ended up doing:
    • Upgraded her to Leopard
    • Got her set up with Time Machine
    • Showed her how to to screensharing via iChat
    • Got her set up with all of her banking passwords (she's taking all that over from Dad, so it's all foreign territory) with 1Password. thumb.gif Gotta love that app.
    • Got her set up with MobileMe.
    • Set up Quicken to automagically backup to MobileMe
    • Showed her how to save other important docs offsite with MobileMe
    • Got her set up with syncing her contacts, keychains, bookmarks on MobileMe.
    • Installed SMART Reporter and set it up to send me an email if her drive starts to show signs of failure.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    After my macbook pro has been on for a day or so, I get a message that my startup disk is getting full (and when I look at the HD info I'm nearly out of space, so it's a true message). But when I restart and look at the HD info, I have 5gb of space available.

WTF? headscratch.gif Any ideas how to stop that. I'm guessing it has to do with how the mac handles virtual memory. Anything that's too much for the RAM, I'm guessing, gets sent to free space on the HD. Looking on Disk Inventory X, I can see that the volumes that fills up are /private/var/vm, /private/var/folders, and private/var/db. Why does it take a restart to clear it if I'm right about the virtual memory?

If it isn't the virtual memory handling, what else could it be and would there be a way to clear it without a restart?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    After my macbook pro has been on for a day or so, I get a message that my startup disk is getting full (and when I look at the HD info I'm nearly out of space, so it's a true message). But when I restart and look at the HD info, I have 5gb of space available.

WTF? headscratch.gif Any ideas how to stop that. I'm guessing it has to do with how the mac handles virtual memory. Anything that's too much for the RAM, I'm guessing, gets sent to free space on the HD. Looking on Disk Inventory X, I can see that the volumes that fills up are /private/var/vm, /private/var/folders, and private/var/db. Why does it take a restart to clear it if I'm right about the virtual memory?

If it isn't the virtual memory handling, what else could it be and would there be a way to clear it without a restart?

I had a friend who had the same problem. It had to do with his Windows installation.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

One problem with the way that OSX works.... it really needs about 15-20% of your harddrive free to work properly.

It's kind of like VRAM, but it also does a lot of overhead stuff there and storing temp things that the system doesn't like to leave in memory. I've not found a workaround for this other than leaving a healthy chunk of your boot drive free. I will say, it's my biggest complaint about OSX. You loose a lot of your primary disk for this. (note, you don't need to do this on non-boot drives.)
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    One problem with the way that OSX works.... it really needs about 15-20% of your harddrive free to work properly.

This is very true. Well, 20% is a bit of overkill, but you do need free space.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    How difficult is it to replace the hdd in a macbook pro? I am getting the feeling I am going to be using up my 200 gigs. I can always use my external hard drive, but it is such a pain to lug around.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    How difficult is it to replace the hdd in a macbook pro? I am getting the feeling I am going to be using up my 200 gigs. I can always use my external hard drive, but it is such a pain to lug around.

If you do it yourself you void the warranty, it's kinda buried in there.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you do it yourself you void the warranty, it's kinda buried in there.

My (out of warranty) PowerBook G4 just had the hdd crash on me, so I'll be getting very familiar with that as soon as my replacement comes in the mail. We'll see how the surgery goes.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Actually, I remember 20% free space as being the recommended minimum on all manner of big iron and minicomputer systems. Of course, that may also have had something to do with how long it used to take to get funding for new drives. mwink.gif

Most operating systems reserve disk space for virtual memory in advance. You want it to be contiguous and in a physical location to minimize seek time. I'm guessing that the problem is due to temp files created by applications.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Actually, I remember 20% free space as being the recommended minimum on all manner of big iron and minicomputer systems. Of course, that may also have had something to do with how long it used to take to get funding for new drives. mwink.gif

Well it was called DASD back then Richard, and having a 1GB drive meant you were involved in some top secret government defense project.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Not really. What OSX (and many others) do with the space is run disk defrag tools. You can't defrag effectively with less than 20% or so of free space. Especially when you've got large files.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 12, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Well it was called DASD back then Richard, and having a 1GB drive meant you were involved in some top secret government defense project.rolleyes1.gif

RP05 lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    WTF Safari icon won't stay in my Dock, it's possessed :yikes

20080812-d1nn6jgqiestjd6h8bgebymd1h.jpg

And if I close Safari it won't be in my Dock any more :cry
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    WTF Safari icon won't stay in my Dock, it's possessed :yikes

20080812-d1nn6jgqiestjd6h8bgebymd1h.jpg

It doesn't want to be next to Firefox!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    It doesn't want to be next to Firefox!
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hmm.. .maybe it is possessed, cause I just docked safari next to firefox and it was buddy buddy. Then again, my laptop isn't connected to the internet... so maybe they don't know that they are next to each other...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hmm.. .maybe it is possessed, cause I just docked safari next to firefox and it was buddy buddy. Then again, my laptop isn't connected to the internet... so maybe they don't know that they are next to each other...

do you have the dock locked using some tool like Onyx or something that simplifies the terminal settings?