Options

Announcing PhotoRank

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 21, 2006
    I agree with the general comments about the amount of repeated images that appear in the daily popular gallery.

I don't know how many times I have gone to popular to find dozens of photos from one gallery, obviously the site owner inflating their ranking.

Is there someway we can limit the number of times a site owner can vote on their own photos in a day ?

And also perhaps, limit the number of photos that can be voted upon from a particular gallery with a certain cookie ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Just wondering... can we have popular photos "of the day" and "all time" on our pages as an option? The way it shows up on Smugmug's browse page and the photo community pages?
    I was about to ask about the Popular Photos box that's on my own site. I was looking for a way to reset the counts every once in a while, so I could see what people like from the recent events, and not have the Popular box filled with photos of one event last year where someones entire family thumbs-upped just their kids pictures.
    Or, I could just turn it off- and rely on comments, etc.

Thanks.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    I was about to ask about the Popular Photos box that's on my own site. I was looking for a way to reset the counts every once in a while, so I could see what people like from the recent events, and not have the Popular box filled with photos of one event last year where someones entire family thumbs-upped just their kids pictures.
    Or, I could just turn it off- and rely on comments, etc.

Thanks.
    You can turn it off on a gallery basis (in gallery customization). On your site, too. Follow the instructions, here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You can turn it off on a gallery basis (in gallery customization). On your site, too. Follow the instructions, here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album
    For a second there, I thought I'd once again missed somethiing. I thought that turning off Photo Rank on a gallery that already had photos ranked would remove those photos from the Most Popular box. It doesn't appear to have. Am I missunderstandnig that somehow?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    For a second there, I thought I'd once again missed somethiing. I thought that turning off Photo Rank on a gallery that already had photos ranked would remove those photos from the Most Popular box. It doesn't appear to have. Am I missunderstandnig that somehow?

Thanks.
    It should, link to photo? ear.gif
  • Options
    nelsonphotonelsonphoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2007
    Reseting popular photos
    So I take it there is no way to "reset" the popular photos so that photos from current events show up instead of ones kids have clicked over and over again of themselfs are up there?

If you take remove a gallery from public will it remove it from the list and then if you put it back public will it return or be gone? hmmm may have to play with this
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    So I take it there is no way to "reset" the popular photos so that photos from current events show up instead of ones kids have clicked over and over again of themselfs are up there?

If you take remove a gallery from public will it remove it from the list and then if you put it back public will it return or be gone? hmmm may have to play with this
    ha ha! Kids will be kids. lol3.gif I *believe* they will be gone from the list when you make them public again. You could also disable the popular option for those photos to make them go away. Barring all that, just email the help desk (help@smugmug.com) and they'll help you get sorted. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    flevineflevine Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2008
    Is there an easy way to flag photos in a set of galleries (using Photorank or something else)? I want to put together a photo book from a recent family vacaion, and I would like the vacation participants to be able to 'vote' on the pictures that go into the book. I don't want them to have to get accounts (I could use the guest account if necessary). If I use PhotoRank, can I search a category for popular photos? If I don't use PhotoRank, do you have any ideas on how I could accomplish this 'voting' scheme? I have a Pro account if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Frank
  • Options
    pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Any progress on the questions below... I also would like a /popular/today (which would pick the top XX recent popular photos) and /popular/alltime link that can be accessed from the popular view

ankit wrote:

- Can we undo a thumbs up/down if we realize we clicked on the wrong button?

- Is there a way of viewing the tu/td statistics of a picture? Can I reset them for a picture or a gallery?

- It would be really nice to pick the pictures on the sugmug front page randomly from the pool of today's popular pictures.

thanks,
    ankit
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    Any progress on the questions below... I also would like a /popular/today (which would pick the top XX recent popular photos) and /popular/alltime link that can be accessed from the popular view
    Thanks - we've taken all of these as feature requests, thanks!
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Is there a way to view unpopular pictures? I'm always curious as to what pics people give a thumbs down to...
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    Is there a way to view unpopular pictures? I'm always curious as to what pics people give a thumbs down to...
    No, I'm sorry there isn't :(
  • Options
    RLJSlickRLJSlick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Is there a way to turn on or off Photo ranking for the attire site, or do I need to go to each gallery and turn it on and off?

Ricky
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    RLJSlick wrote:
    Is there a way to turn on or off Photo ranking for the attire site, or do I need to go to each gallery and turn it on and off?

Ricky
    In your CP, Settings Tab - set Hello Smuggers to 'no' and that'll remove photorank from your galleries - it'll also make your stuff not findable from SmugMug's Search.
  • Options
    Stephan PhotosStephan Photos Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I tried to quickly go through 23 pages of questions that span four years and might have missed it...or something might have changed since 2008 when this thread was last active...

Is there a way for the pro to see which images in a specific gallery have had a thumbs up or down? I ask b/c I just had a client go through and pick their selects by doing the thumbs thing instead of the star ranking via the comment section. Sounds like I might be SOL.

Thanks in advance.
    ~Kurt
    My Flickr Photostream
    My Website Stephan Photos
    Nikon D300 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 70-200mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4D | SB-800 Speedlight | Gitzo 1325 w/Markins M20
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    I tried to quickly go through 23 pages of questions that span four years and might have missed it...or something might have changed since 2008 when this thread was last active...

Is there a way for the pro to see which images in a specific gallery have had a thumbs up or down? I ask b/c I just had a client go through and pick their selects by doing the thumbs thing instead of the star ranking via the comment section. Sounds like I might be SOL.

Thanks in advance.
    ~Kurt
    Kurt, there isn't a per gallery method. You can see all your photos thumbed up here http://stephanphotos.com/popular/#813068241_JE6JU

Use our new event marketing tool so they can indicate their favorites :)http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
  • Options
    Stephan PhotosStephan Photos Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Andy,

Wow, thanks for the responsiveness! You got me. I paid attention to the new package option (and have already taken advantage), but to be honest the event option made my eyes glaze over the first time I tried reading through it so missed the part about 'picking favorites.'

I'll pay attention to it now!

Thanks again,
    Kurt
    Andy wrote:
    Kurt, there isn't a per gallery method. You can see all your photos thumbed up here http://stephanphotos.com/popular/#813068241_JE6JU

Use our new event marketing tool so they can indicate their favorites :)http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
    My Flickr Photostream
    My Website Stephan Photos
    Nikon D300 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 70-200mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4D | SB-800 Speedlight | Gitzo 1325 w/Markins M20
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Andy,

Wow, thanks for the responsiveness! You got me. I paid attention to the new package option (and have already taken advantage), but to be honest the event option made my eyes glaze over the first time I tried reading through it so missed the part about 'picking favorites.'

I'll pay attention to it now!

Thanks again,
    Kurt
    Cool :)

You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    RLJSlick wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    In your CP, Settings Tab - set Hello Smuggers to 'no' and that'll remove photorank from your galleries - it'll also make your stuff not findable from SmugMug's Search.

But according to the Help pages:
    If you're a Power or Professional subscriber, you can suppress the PhotoRank thumbs for your entire SmugMug site by adding the following code to the Javascript Footer section of your site customization page:

displaySmugPopular = false;

Unlike Andy's suggestion above, wouldn't this have the same effect as setting Photorank to No in all the Gallery settings (without creating a SmugIsland)?
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2010
    BigRed wrote:
    But according to the Help pages:

Unlike Andy's suggestion above, wouldn't this have the same effect as setting Photorank to No in all the Gallery settings (without creating a SmugIsland)?
    You can still get popular photos from comments....
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Ok, my apologies if this has been asked/answered but I just spent 10 minutes reading/searching and can't find a definitive answer...

We'd love to have our clients rank/rate our photos just for OUR knowledge, what they like, what they didn't like, etc. so we can improve our service.

I thought "Photorank" would work but I can't figure out how to see which ones the client gave ThumbsUp or ThumbsDown to?

I would like to do this on a per-gallery basis (ie. per client), I don't need/want them to mix-match between clients.

Is there a way to do this, via PhotoRank or any other way?!?
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited April 27, 2010
    We'd love to have our clients rank/rate our photos just for OUR knowledge, what they like, what they didn't like, etc. so we can improve our service.
    I don't believe there is any way to get details on photo rankings.

Have you considered using the new events capability?
    See http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing.

--- Denise