Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    You simply either drag icon to trash, or right click on icon and choose 'eject'

if icon isnt on desktop, then go to Finder>Preferences>General...check what you want on your desktop, in this case assume this in an external drive, so check that box, then icons will show when mounted, not with unmounted

That's what I have - Show Hard disks, External disks, and CD, DVDs, iPods are are checked. However, neither of the optical drives do not show on the desktop. All I have shown are the two internal drives and the two external drives. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    That's what I have - Show Hard disks, External disks, and CD, DVDs, iPods are are checked. However, neither of the optical drives do not show on the desktop. All I have shown are the two internal drives and the two external drives. headscratch.gif

optical will only show when there is a disk in them
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Uh oh... maybe you'll hold out on me now with that lens mwink.gif

Note though, that you _can_ use the Keychain in combination with Safari's autofill to automatically fill in username/password info on pages, much the same way that 1Password can. Safari Preferences->AutoFill, check "User Names and Passwords" and it will do about the same.

1Password does have some nice things, but there are a few things that bug me about it:

1) It's a browser plug-in which is unsupported by Apple, and which can cause issues. I had an issue with Safari crashing daily for a couple weeks and it was due to a bug in 1Password. Debugging this stuff is annoying. Filing a bug with Apple engineering and having them point to the point in the stack trace where it shows it's 1Password... embarrasing mwink.gif

2) It's sorta like Hotel California. Put your usernames and passwords in there, and I don't know how you can easily get them out. You can import from the Keychain to 1Password, but you can't get the stuff out when you quit as it hashes its passwords within they Keychain itself.

3) They're generally pretty quick to support new browser release from Apple (usually within a day of release), but I sometimes use pre-release versions (and right now I'm using Webkit) and they're not always compatible. This is largely self-imposed by living on the bleeding edge, but it can cause issues. I quit using PithHelmet for largely the same reasons -- #1 and #3 -- even though it was a fairly good ad blocking plug-in.

1) The beta version is no longer a browser extension.

2) It uses Keychain. They're always available to you.

3) Sure, you can use Keychain with Safari, with more limited functionality, but I do need to use other browsers at times. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Turns out I'm wrong on 1).

From their forums (re: browser extensions):
    This would only come into play of you wanted to use the main app and never use it in the browsers. (which you basically wouldn't want to)

In the past it would just install them automatically. We were informed that this wasn't nice behavior. Thus, the change.

You'll still need them. You're just not forced to install them.

This is what their release notes say about the beta:
    This build adds full support for using 1Password without browser extensions.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Turns out I'm wrong on 1).

From their forums (re: browser extensions):

This is what their release notes say about the beta:

But Apple doesn't seem to mind the extensions thing TOO much!

20080815-esxb19fqawejw4s3xxtpn3enjg.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    lol3.gif TO, the high-pressure sales guy.

Here's my problem, my wife occasionally logs into various things on her (EEEK!) windows machine. If I go making every password a 256 UTF-8 character string (or whatever), then she'll never be able to get into the various accounts.

They do have https://my.1password.com/ in private beta right now. If that's something that can allow Beth to get the passwords when she needs them, then I may have found a new password management solution.

But I won't be able to know if that meets my needs until they let me into the beta pool.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    What batch file renaming software are you all using? I am looking for cheap s/w for batch renaming my photos (inserting one or more characters in specific locations, deleting characters, etc.)?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    What batch file renaming software are you all using? I am looking for cheap s/w for batch renaming my photos (inserting one or more characters in specific locations, deleting characters, etc.)?

I use and love A Better Finder Rename.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    There are no icons on the desktop for me to drag to the trash/eject icon in the dock.
    RogersDA wrote:
    Still - how would you do it in the Mac?
    Click on any other disk that is on the desktop and you should be able to see your optical drives listed under 'Devices' along with all other disk drives.

If you then click on the up-arrow alongside the optical drive you want to eject, that should do it, I reckon! thumb.gif
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

Depending on what's open at the time or what I need...

Adobe Bridge or Lightroom (OK but limited)
    iView Media Pro (better) I have not used its current version, Microsoft Expression Media
    Renamer4Mac (great, but recently went shareware instead of freeware)
    NameMangler (great, free, Leopard-only)

Some people use Automator to rename files.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Depending on what's open at the time or what I need...

Adobe Bridge or Lightroom (OK but limited)
    iView Media Pro (better) I have not used its current version, Microsoft Expression Media
    Renamer4Mac (great, but recently went shareware instead of freeware)
    NameMangler (great, free, Leopard-only)

Some people use Automator to rename files.

Yah, I should say that I've been using Better Finder Rename since the days on OS9, and maybe even before. I've not researched the latest. NameMangler looks great for the price! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions on the renaming s/w. NameMangler and A Better Finder Renamer were both ones that I was looking at. I may give the free app a shot before dropping more $$. I've done that too much these weeks.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Actually, I'm sure it's just a matter of taste, but I think I'm in love with 1Password.

20080816-ku8jd8g5i5un6tdtx99ah8j71w.jpg

It's not perfect, this is grandcentral.com site. Ajaxy..

Photoshopexpress (Flashy) was also denied.

Still, seems pretty cool and I'll buy it.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol3.gif TO, the high-pressure sales guy.

Here's my problem, my wife occasionally logs into various things on her (EEEK!) windows machine. If I go making every password a 256 UTF-8 character string (or whatever), then she'll never be able to get into the various accounts.

They do have https://my.1password.com/ in private beta right now. If that's something that can allow Beth to get the passwords when she needs them, then I may have found a new password management solution.

But I won't be able to know if that meets my needs until they let me into the beta pool.

Mike,

Not sure if it's worth your trouble, but you can export an encrypted web page from 1P and keep it on a USB thumb drive for use on those PCs. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    20080816-ku8jd8g5i5un6tdtx99ah8j71w.jpg

It's not perfect, this is grandcentral.com site. Ajaxy..

Photoshopexpress (Flashy) was also denied.

Still, seems pretty cool and I'll buy it.

For GrandCentral you need to use this link: http://www.grandcentral.com/account

No flashy. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    For GrandCentral you need to use this link: http://www.grandcentral.com/account

No flashy. thumb.gif

Cool thx.

How about this one naughty.gif

20080816-ruruqtrh5e1c7c3eixsj6bxnea.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Is it better to suspend the guest or quit the guest when exiting Fusion? I've been doing both, but am unsure if there really is a need to quit when all I need to do is suspend.

Just curious....
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Cool thx.

How about this one naughty.gif

That's just stupid.

The way to get the GrandCentral one is to enter a bogus login, and it then takes you to a standard web form page. That doesn't work with The photoshop express page. Why Adobe would insist that you use a flash login page is beyond me. I suggest that you ask them to direct you to a non-flash login page, and tell them they're dum for not making it more readily available. deal.gif

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Is it better to suspend the guest or quit the guest when exiting Fusion? I've been doing both, but am unsure if there really is a need to quit when all I need to do is suspend.

Just curious....
    I suspend, and have have a Win XP system running for months and months and months thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I suspend, and have have a Win XP system running for months and months and months thumb.gif
    Thanks, Andy.

I have to say, too, that this Mac is soooooooo much easier to configure (load software, peripherals, etc.) than a windows-based machine. While there are still a few small things I have not figured out how to do (yet), I am still amazed how simple this thing is.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks, Andy.

I have to say, too, that this Mac is soooooooo much easier to configure (load software, peripherals, etc.) than a windows-based machine. While there are still a few small things I have not figured out how to do (yet), I am still amazed how simple this thing is.
    Try cmd ~, without it I would hate my mac deal.gif Not even stevie jay can expect me to use my mouse to switch between all my open windows of one piece of software.

Now if the photoshop devs would quit being ridiculous and get on board with apple's way of doing things (control tab??? seriously wtf?) I'd be completely happy.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

Now if the photoshop devs would quit being ridiculous and get on board with apple's way of doing things (control tab??? seriously wtf?) I'd be completely happy.

They've proven to like legacy mwink.gif

Command-H doesn't hide the app (which is Mac standard), and is command-comma preferences? I really can't recall.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

Photoshop product manager John Nack has recently blogged about this upcoming change.
    When Apple introduced OS X, they decided to implement some new conventions for shortcuts...Cmd-~ (technically Cmd-`) cycles among open documents. Over time the OS has appropriated more and more shortcuts that have been used by Photoshop...This puts us in a tough position...As it happens, I expect we'll change Photoshop to use Cmd-~ to cycle among document windows. PS already supports the Windows-standard Ctrl-Tab for this function on both platforms, and by honoring both conventions we can offer cross-platform consistency. This move will undoubtedly frustrate people who rely on Cmd-~ for displaying the composite channel...
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    They've proven to like legacy mwink.gif

Command-H doesn't hide the app (which is Mac standard), and is command-comma preferences? I really can't recall.

Nope.

But really, if we're going to lambast them for broken crud... how about we start with the updater. :puke

Even Windows Update is better implemented.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Nope.

But really, if we're going to lambast them for broken crud... how about we start with the updater. :puke

Even Windows Update is better implemented.

:puke is right ;-)

Their updater and installer are both awful. Their installers are completely proprietary on both platforms, which makes them a huge pain in the ass to install in managed environments. It's awful.

And don't get me started on the fact that there are two versions of Adobe Help Viewer (1.0 and 1.1) installed because their document formats are incompatible. They truly have a number of craptastic things. Photoshop is powerful, but man do they have a lot of unnecessary complexity and legacy. I don't need to get started :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    Someone stopped by and asked for the magic to do "focus-follows-mouse" in a terminal window. I'd found the answer for myself and passed along the following:
    • Open a terminal window
    • In the window, type:
      defaults write com.apple.Terminal FocusFollowsMouse -string YES
    • Restart the terminal window
    Once the app restarts, you can mouse over any open terminal window and have focus.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Mac Laptop Dilema (Photo/Video Editing)
    Ok... so here's my question

I am in the market for a new Apple laptop...

How should I spend the $$$ that I don't have

MacBook (Pros/Cons, why/why not)

MacBook Air (Pros/Cons, why/why not)

MacBook Pro (Pros/Cons, why/why not)

I plan to keep using my Windows XP Pro for regular use, so the Apple laptop will only be used to edit photos and video (Photoshop/Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Avid and such...)

Any thoughts, ideas, comments and/or advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:
    Ok... so here's my question

I am in the market for a new Apple laptop...

How should I spend the $$$ that I don't have

MacBook (Pros/Cons, why/why not)

MacBook Air (Pros/Cons, why/why not)

MacBook Pro (Pros/Cons, why/why not)

I plan to keep using my Windows XP Pro for regular use, so the Apple laptop will only be used to edit photos and video (Photoshop/Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Avid and such...)

Any thoughts, ideas, comments and/or advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

For that use, MBP, no doubt. The other 2 are a good bit worst in that department, because they don't have a proper graphics card, 13" screens and less processor power if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    Why are you going to continue to use XP?

FCP and Avid?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 20, 2008
    The MacBook Air is too small,too slow, and too weak for a real Photoshop workhorse ( my opinion entirely - but I looked at it seriously when it came out)

The decision between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro is much more nuanced, and finally comes down to whether you can afford the difference when they are fully loaded up.

A MacBook is nice, but are you really going to be happy editing on that 13 inch screen? I know I am not, even with a 15 in screen, I vastly prefer my desktop Cinema Display.

MBP $1999

15 in Nvidea 8600M GT with 256 MB RAM, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 200 GB HD, double layer drive DVD, 2 Gb RAM

MB black cover $1499

13 in screen without its own video card 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, double layer drive

$500 buys you a bigger LCD with its own video card and no system memory used for video

Needless to say, I bought a MacBook Pro w 4 Gb RAM
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin