Options

Sell some to SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    PeterLyons wrote:
    Pyry, I love your work... most especially your skies!!! But your variety is fantastic. You seem to cover a different subjects really creatively and well. But WOW... the skies!

My fave is the milky way rising. My guess is you shot that on a mount that tracks with the stars... (what is that called? I forget)... thus the stars are sharp but the trees blur. VERY cool. You must have some extremely wide lenses. Do I see trees at both the top and bottom of one frame? A full fisheye image cropped to fill the frame? Excellent and interesting work.

Thanks very, very much :D

Milkyway rising was shot on a tracking mount, but the blur in the trees was helped along by wind :D

Clouds that shine in the night is a four shot overhead panorama, shot with a 10mm non fish-eye lens. You do indeed see both north (down) and south (up) horizons.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Mmmmm, you have some really great shots. mwink.gif

How was your tidepool vertical panorama shot? Do you think it would hold up to printing it 72 inches high?

Hey Baldy, you should have dropped me an email! I can go months without coming on Dgrin, I am ridiculously busy these days. I guess I better check my email settings for PM's etc. Thought I had that set up correctly...

Yes, I have done both the horizontal (grand canyon) and vertical (tidepools) up to 36" and they look gorgeous. The grand canyon shot was made with just 2-3 6 megapixel stitches, so I dunno how it would do larger than 36", but the vertical panorama was made with 10-15 horizontal 6 megapixel images, so the final image is something crazy like 3000x9000 pixels. Enough to get you to 72"? :-D Looks great metallic, lemme tell you! Matting one to 16x40 right now to give to a friend who referred me a wedding...

If you're testing an alternate lab that can ship mounted and flat up to 72", then by all means, let me dig up the high-res file! I assume you can still access the "O" size file if I upload it and leave the public restrictions in effect?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008
    If you're testing an alternate lab that can ship mounted and flat up to 72", then by all means, let me dig up the high-res file! I assume you can still access the "O" size file if I upload it and leave the public restrictions in effect?

=Matt=
    Thanks, Matt!

Turns out we have the perfect spot for this shot, printed 24x72. If I did my maths right, that would mean no cropping, so if you could dig up the high-res file we'd be very grateful.

And yes, I can snatch it even if you have originals turned off. We do this for reprints all day long that we have to adjust in Photoshop before reprinting.

Love the color in this shot, Matt.

92413442_kmMHC-X3-3.jpg
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Congrats, Matt -- I loved that shot the first time I saw it when you posted. Gorgeous colors!!

Baldy - Are you still looking for shots?

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Beautiful, Rob.

Thank you kindly :)
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Thanks, Matt!

Turns out we have the perfect spot for this shot, printed 24x72. If I did my maths right, that would mean no cropping, so if you could dig up the high-res file we'd be very grateful.

Your wish is my command! The high-res image is actually 2400x7200 un-interpolated, so you'll only be at 100 ppi, but the lens was pretty sharp so it'll look great until you stick your nose right on the print.

By the way, will this be going up in your Mountain View office, or elsewhere?

I ask because I'm going to be in town over thanksgiving, at my uncle's home just blocks away from Smugmug's address. (Dave Blakely, IDEO)

I'd love to drop by and shake someone's hand, let alone see my print on the wall!

=Matt=
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Matt, that tidepool shot is killer. Where is it? (If you don't mind saying...)
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    PeterLyons wrote:
    Matt, that tidepool shot is killer. Where is it? (If you don't mind saying...)

Southern California, Newport Beach area.

Specific beach: "Little Corona", (South Corona Del Mar)

Created March 2006, on a D70 at 24mm, 10-15 horizontal images taken with a make-shift panorama setup. (Just an L-bracket and one of those "arm" tripods like the Gitzo Explorer...)

Stitched manually in photoshop, with bracketed exposure and focus.

To be totally honest, the image is still a concept in my mind, I could do a far better job now with my current equipment, if I could only make the time. Alas, I am perpetually flooded with weddings and other work. Sadly, most of my nature photography is this way- taken way back when using beginner gear when I didn't really know what I was doing but simply had the time to get out there and persist... Hopefully some day I can again take to the mountains and beaches to pursue my passion...

Thank YOU Peter, for letting me wax nostalgic! :-P

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Baldy, are still looking for new stuff?
    We are but something clicked in our minds when we had Nick's pano printed:

364258682_P7eHk-XL.jpg

That one stops everyone in their tracks and they oooo and aaahhh... It's a great shot but the size is something you don't see very often.

So, we started looking at our other walls and, ehem, found a place for a 72-inch x 700-inch pano. We've been trying to shoot that for a few weeks and have a candidate:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101529

We have some other walls we're trying to fill with specific (enormous) shots. I'll have more on what we're looking for in awhile.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Thanks, Matt!

Turns out we have the perfect spot for this shot,

That'd be the door to the NY Studio, yes? naughty.gif

clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I know you're looking for landscapes but I thought some of the advrider fans in Smugmug might like some bike shots:

this was taken at Kells road race in 2005. Ryan Farquhar (no 77) is outbraking Guy Martin on the last corner of the final lap of the race. Farquhar is braking on oil left on the road from a previous race. I spoke to Guy Martin after the race and he said that he couldn't have braked any harder and couldn't believe that Farquhar got by him. I ordered a print from Smugmug in 20 x 30 and it looks grand on my wall

344096411_Woh2K-L.jpg

This pic shows Chris Walker in qualifying for the British Superbike round at Mondello Park.
    364280927_eue4a-L.jpg

If you like any of them feel free to pull the files and get them printed. I don't want any money if you like them. You can buy me a coffee sometime :slurp
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

That one stops everyone in their tracks and they oooo and aaahhh... It's a great shot but the size is something you don't see very often.

So, we started looking at our other walls and, ehem, found a place for a 72-inch x 700-inch pano. We've been trying to shoot that for a few weeks and have a candidate:

We have some other walls we're trying to fill with specific (enormous) shots. I'll have more on what we're looking for in awhile.

I can see where you're going with this - and I have to say I like the idea. I might drop you a line if end up with something close to that category.

I've looked at that 72x700 project of yours a few times - I hope you get it done thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Yeah so the more later bit...

We have a great spot for a 72 wide x 120 high shot halfway up the stairs after you enter the building.

We were thinking of a creepy castle perched on a hill sorta like
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4181797_xKjK8#243992332_V39MM .

Maybe Dracula's castle in Transylvania, or

456690968_07203ca9e9_o.jpg

I'd also love love love to get a big vertical shot of Angel Falls in Venezuela like this one:

http://martyharp.smugmug.com/popular/1/95358989_QHSeN#95358989_QHSeN-X2-LB

And if a base jumper were going off at the time, so much the better! If anyone's near Venezuela and can execute that shot, let me know. :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

I'm hatching a plan to get this shot when I go to Photokina deal.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Just get a Rodney Lough Jr. print! Can't beat 8x10 / 11x14 large format film quality! :-P

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Just get a Rodney Lough Jr. print! Can't beat 8x10 / 11x14 large format film quality! :-P

=Matt=
    Yeah, his stuff is gorgeous, especially this one:

http://www.rodneyloughjr.com/index.html?display=PressCenter.html&session_id=24124dv.8224T24yGVRvX61ssSO0Nm2FHAzMy1

We're trying to stay true to using only photos shot by our customers or ourselves (and almost all of us were SmugMug customers previously). Besides, we can't afford him. :cry

We've been trying to get a pano from the top of Mt. Tamalpais to print 24x210" and Sam brought his 4x5 camera with Velvia 50 the other day. We can't wait to see the film when it comes back. If he missed the shot, we'll be trudging back up there at 4 in the morning again.

360418296_yFbUz-X2.jpg
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    A few from Italy... Not sure if they are worthy...
    I do not know if you're still looking, but here are a few from my trip to Italy...
    These will all be hanging in my office very soon...
    8x12's
    364372981_yBmM9-L.jpg

364373589_9NBgN-L.jpg

364377099_LoeLs-L.jpg

364377469_oh95f-L.jpg

16x24's
    364371534_TWFyA-L.jpg

364372514_uLhAf-L.jpg

364374621_4MgSf-L.jpg

364375322_DYAUy-L.jpg

20x30's
    364376327_7qJaa-L.jpg

364370209_6MwXo-L.jpg
  • Options
    aLoha TimaLoha Tim Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey we just moved into new quarters and are looking for a few good prints. Send me a link and maybe your cash register will ring. mwink.gif

(But don't get hopes too high; we have limited wall space and strangely colored walls.)
    I'd like to nominate one of the first pics purchased from my site. It was purchased by the Paraglider Pilot in the picture. It caught his fancy because in the background is a couple getting married at the chapel at Sea life Park.rolleyes1.gif

300436910_5VjnU-S.jpg
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    You are welcome to use any of mine in large format. My prints are generally made up of 8 to 12 vertical shots from my 30D:

172540440_4BLtW-X2-2.jpg
    6 Vertical images

172540084_W7gw4-X2-2.jpg
    2 rows of 8 shots each. Each shot comprised of 3 blended images

43563932_M5c8W-X3-4.jpg
    12 vertical images

189081831_mHV7F-X3-5.jpg
    8 vertical images

305928266_F3vTM-X3-1.jpg
    12 or 15 vertical images

139994627_3kVe5-X3-5.jpg
    8 to 12 vertical images

300517909_gAsoe-X2-2.jpg
    6 vertical images

A few non-panos, if you are interested:

300164031_dbSJu-M.jpg

192836121_2rs5W-L-1.jpg

James
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Wow, James, I spent a half hour this a.m. going through your account, lusting. You have some amazing shots in there including lightning and nightscapes that are really fabulous.

And it's really nice that they can go big. I have some ideas but lemme think about what would go best on the walls we have.
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Wow, James, I spent a half hour this a.m. going through your account, lusting. You have some amazing shots in there including lightning and nightscapes that are really fabulous.

And it's really nice that they can go big. I have some ideas but lemme think about what would go best on the walls we have.

Thanks, again. :) Let me know what you decide. thumb.gif

James
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

We have a great spot for a 72 wide x 120 high shot halfway up the stairs after you enter the building.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4181797_xKjK8#243992332_V39MM .

Maybe Dracula's castle in Transylvania...

I always thought this place in the right sun and sky would be a cool, creepy pano, but I've never done that type work. Perhaps some SmugMugger near the Normandy coast? Maybe it's odd I find cathedrals could be creepy? :D

235279807_MKNpx-L-4.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    I always thought this place in the right sun and sky would be a cool, creepy pano, but I've never done that type work. Perhaps some SmugMugger near the Normandy coast? Maybe it's odd I find cathedrals could be creepy? :D

235279807_MKNpx-L-4.jpg
    Yeah, that shot really does it for me, or at least some creepy variation of it. But our first choice for the stairwell 72 wide by 120 high has become a shot like this with insane dpi:

79p-065.jpg

Or maybe:

space-shuttle-launch.jpg

I think Andy and a dgrinner or two are on the case.

(But I still want a huge version of Mont Saint Michel like you posted for another wall.)
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, that shot really does it for me, or at least some creepy variation of it. But our first choice for the stairwell 72 wide by 120 high has become a shot like this with insane dpi:

79p-065.jpg

Or maybe:

space-shuttle-launch.jpg

(But I still want a huge version of Mont Saint Michel like you posted for another wall.)

Holy...! If you have access (or a member here does) to get shots like those of the shuttle, I'd print 'em loud and proud :D

I'm not sure how well my image of MSM would print huge. I've printed it 13x19 and it looks fine, but it's a scan of an old 35mm slide and took a lot of cleanup. Of course you're welcome to pixel-peep the original and see if it's useable. I'm hoping Andy has time to sightsee a bit when he goes to Photokina in a couple weeks. It's a beautiful time of year in Europe (from what this old soldier remembers).
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

C'est moi. thumb.gif Unfortunately, the one time I was able to walk on the launchpad, they had moved Endeavor back into the VAB. Durn it. :cry

If we pull it off, do I get to come visit so I can see it all ginormous and cool? :giggle
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    O my God that large print !! wow amazing superb work

Great picture Nick
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    The Rohtas Fort panorama of 8 images
    212484414_YZjSh-L.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Marc LangilleMarc Langille Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    You are welcome to consider any of mine in large format.

It's a mix of several types of photography... Andy commented very positively about my work. I have 4 images to be published in a nature conservation book in the coming months - part of a 3 month long competition I recently finished. Still waiting to confirm which ones.... ne_nau.gif (3 of those 4 are still in an unlisted gallery - waiting for the awards ceremonies to be done on Sept. 20th)

Please let me know if anything on my site grabs your attention, and you are most welcome to PM me too.

Regards,
    Marc
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2008
    I decided to try out a Duratrans print in a lightbox (LED to use less electricity):

371350188_bELxZ-XL.jpg

This shot was disappointing in print but boy is it stunning in a lightbox.

The only thing is it's 41" and lit from behind, you don't want to look at it too closely or you see artifacts and stuff.