Options

Countdown to Dgrin 2.0

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    Nice job! I love the menu bar across the top, so easy to jump into a forum. I also like the clean look of the site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    The new look is a bit less friendly on the eyes for the small mobile device users when compared to the old version.

http://www.tapatalk.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    SmugMug Site Status
    Don't forget this, too :)
    https://img.skitch.com/20110802-g4fmxaiajdb5u3q74f53u1attq.jpg
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Somehow I missed that on my wanders through the forums last night - that's awesome!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Somehow I missed that on my wanders through the forums last night - that's awesome!

--- Denise

There are more things, but we'll let you all find 'em :)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    Tracker wrote: »
    Is there a way to display the # of views of a thread? didn't that use to be part of the grid listing of threads?
    If you hover your mouse pointer over the last post date, the reply and view counts pop up. thumb.gif
  • Options
    janvtjanvt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    love how the site looks! really polished & elegant! :)
    an umcomfortably attractive blend of sort of perverted but suprisingly sweet.

http://janvt.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    The quote box width adjusts with the window width but the code box is a set width. Make the code box window adjust to
    window width so the r/l scroll bars are not needed. This is especially important when highlighting parts of the code that
    can't be seen without scrolling to the right.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    The quote box width adjusts with the window width but the code box is a set width. Make the code box window adjust to
    window width so the r/l scroll bars are not needed. This is especially important when highlighting parts of the code that
    can't be seen without scrolling to the right.

Thanks, Allen, we'll look into that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Thanks, Allen, we'll look into that.
    Thanks TO

There would still be some code, javascript especially, that has very long lines and would have to trigger the scroll bars
    unless wrap was on. But wrapping would mess up some trying to copy.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Here's a way that at least 1/2 inch of vertical space could be saved on each & every post, with nothing lost: See the "Reply" and "Quote" words & icons down at the bottom right under each post? They could be moved up into the same box with the poster's siggy, on the same lines. They don't need an entire sub-frame (or whatever you wanna call it) to themselves. The siggys never use that space over on the right side anyway. The "Report" thing could come up into that same line as well. If something unnecessary doesn't get compressed here, this site is going to be so much more unwieldy than it was. It was already frustrating that we couldn't just scroll down through a lot more posts rather than paging, and now we're doing even more paging unnecessarily.

Also, some of us have lots of empty space under our signatures, kind of randomly. Why? That's wasting even more space, sometimes more than an inch per post!! I hope that can get fixed. It was a problem ever since the sigs were shortened and maybe before that, so it's not just the new design. On this particular page, I see the empty space in at least 5 of the posts.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I too would like a kind of middle gray style. I always used the Gallery Black before, and the new one is a lot darker. I'm getting used to it, and I do like it better than the old style, but I wonder if there's a new style in the works?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    I too would like a kind of middle gray style. I always used the Gallery Black before, and the new one is a lot darker. I'm getting used to it, and I do like it better than the old style, but I wonder if there's a new style in the works?
    Sorry, it's only going to be the two. And really, this is not a lot darker. The message area of posts is very, very close between the two:

20110802-nn29nr5gs4njjd391c72tsh71s.png

20110802-p4t89fhmmgbcndjbqyg7u56sb9.png
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Okay, I'm fine with that... the new look just seems darker all-around. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Definitely better than v1 thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Here's a way that at least 1/2 inch of vertical space could be saved on each & every post, with nothing lost: See the "Reply" and "Quote" words & icons down at the bottom right under each post? They could be moved up into the same box with the poster's siggy, on the same lines. They don't need an entire sub-frame (or whatever you wanna call it) to themselves.

Sorry it's not possible.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    views
    Really missing the "views" column. Hover doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Really missing the "views" column. Hover doesn't cut it.

Thanks for the feedback - good thing you *can* hover and see :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the amazing feedback! There has been a lot of love on Twitter and FB as well.

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23dgrin
    http://www.facebook.com/SmugMug/posts/243169405705625
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! way better and much clearer andy

phil
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Just wanted to add that I love the default view of showing replies only iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that I love the default view of showing replies only iloveyou.gif

Was the "views" column getting in your way? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Hey TO, there's got'a be a "went over my head" Smilie somewhere. Need it here. :D
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Was the "views" column getting in your way? headscratch.gif

No but I hated seeing the view count hit the 300's without a reply. This was mostly due to bots crawling the site. However, if I saw a post with 300 views and 0 replies, my automatic thought before clicking was 'this is probably a blah photo' since so many people looked and moved on. Now I feel like I can view 0 reply images without bias or prejudice.

I know that sounds ludicrous but it was the mentality I had with seeing those high view counts ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    No but I hated seeing the view count hit the 300's without a reply. This was mostly due to bots crawling the site. However, if I saw a post with 300 views and 0 replies, my automatic thought before clicking was 'this is probably a blah photo' since so many people looked and moved on. Now I feel like I can view 0 reply images without bias or prejudice.

I know that sounds ludicrous but it was the mentality I had with seeing those high view counts ne_nau.gif

I liked the views button. Call it narcissism, but I liked it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    @eoren1 - I know what you mean, but that's why I miss it. It added some "food-for-thought".
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    The view count has never been a reliable number. It is grossly inflated by search engine spiders, software that crawls the entire Web gathering links. At best, it only gives you a vague idea of how many people have viewed a thread and at worst--depending on recent activity--it gives an entirely misleading picture. You can still see it, if you want, by a mouseover, but take it with a kilo of salt.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Where is "Unread posts"?
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Love the new look. Thanks to all those who undoubtedly work many hours to make it happen.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Where is "Unread posts"?

What is it you want to accomplish?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Where is "Unread posts"?
    If you mean posts that you haven't read yet, use the "New Stuff" link on the top menu bar.

I love the new look! Good job everyone. thumb.gif I'll have to spend some time poking around, checking the features, but so far, I like what I see. And Andy, thanks for the heads up on Tapatalk - just downloaded it to the iPhone, and it looks to be a good app.