Countdown to Dgrin 2.0

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Oh and here's a peek at the light style, and the sidebar on the homepage of the forum (this shot has the SmugMug tab active on the sidebar, there are two other tabs, Dgrin news and Hot Shots).

20110718-kb7ekr63jpgkqkh1379cqj5rut.jpg
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Oh and here's a peek at the light style, and the sidebar on the homepage of the forum (this shot has the SmugMug tab active on the sidebar, there are two other tabs, Dgrin news and Hot Shots).

+1 for the light style. :)
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    YES to the light style, as that's what I use exclusively :D now much more excited thanks to everyone involved in this update!
    //Leah
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Andy-
    Is there anyway to adjust the way stats are recorded such that bot hits are ignored in the thread read count? Just curious as I just went through this on my blog and eliminating the bots gave me a much better idea of how well my posts were going over.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    vbulletin has a way of recognizing spiders and such, but since they are actually 'reading' the thread, it's accurate to increment it. I'm sure there's some hack that will exclude the bots, but I'm guessing that it's going to have to be custom programming.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    That's sexy.
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Oh and here's a peek at the light style

thumb.gifthumb
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 25, 2011
    Great idea. Looking forward to the new forum. The old one was good... but old...
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 28, 2011
    It's not in the plan for v1, as it's all so new, but we will look at it.

Will the new look be still compatible with TapaTalk application?
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    edited July 28, 2011
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Will the new look be still compatible with TapaTalk application?

Yes, Tapatalk will work just fine.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    I'm using the new look now and I love it! wings.gif

A first impression... on the home page, the bar that contains sub-forums (for example, the lighter gray bar under Flea Market) is a little distracting, I think. My eyes think it's a divider. They see it as being as powerful as a forum header (like the bar the says "Shots").

Great job guys :ivar

Edit: Oh, and I think we need a "home" tab at the top navbar. My mouse keeps going to the left, only to find that I have to click on the DGrin logo at the top. This is especially important when I'm not viewing a thread, so I don't have the home icon there.
    edited July 31, 2011
    A few more thoughts:

The tiny green dots for unread posts are hard to see. I used the old yellow/blue dots a lot, and these new ones are really hard to see. They're too small; the older ones were nice and big.

I don't like the online/offline icons next to our usernames. It makes the username off-center, and it's just distracting. I'd rather have "online" in green or "offline" in gray at the bottom of the profile.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Where is this new look? I don't remember seeing how to activate it anywhere.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited July 31, 2011
    At the very bottom right of each page. The style chooser dropdown.
    edited July 31, 2011
    At the very bottom right of each page. The style chooser dropdown.
    That's not the new design, just the old style that's been around for some
    time.

Looks nothing like the screen shot in post #1.
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Just an update: we've been hard at work on this, especially over the past 30 days. We're nearly done! We are expecting to launch on August 1st, or thereabouts.

Hopefully we'll see this tomorrow mwink.gif
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    That's not the new design, just the old style that's been around for some
    time.

Looks nothing like the screen shot in post #1.

TCG found a back door to the style (by stumbling onto it), and it now shows up in his dropdown.

Looks like we're on schedule to roll out tomorrow. We have some details to wrap up first, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 31, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Looks like we're on schedule to roll out tomorrow.

I hope so!!!!!!!! :ivar :jfriend
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Here's to it! beer.gif
    edited July 31, 2011
    I just noticed something that I definitely do not like, every post is much larger vertically
    between 50% and 100%. This will make it very difficult going through many posts.
    Especially when some would have to be scrolled to see the whole post.
    Nothing worst then having to scroll back and forth when answering posts.

I believe in engine/performance changes but I see almost NOTHING in improvements in
    this new design except raining in those huge screen shots Andy posts. Just a different
    way to show things.

btw, this post is 45% larger vertically in the new design.

Another thing just noticed, the new design does not have vertical scroll bars in the code box.
    Old design code box 5.5" vertical with scroll bar.
    New design 36.5" vertical, no vertical scroll bar.
    Post #1 here.
    That's a lot of browser scrolling.
    edited August 1, 2011
    I just noticed something that I definitely do not like, every post is much larger vertically
    between 50% and 100%. This will make it very difficult going through many posts.
    Especially when some would have to be scrolled to see the whole post.
    Nothing worst then having to scroll back and forth when answering posts.

I believe in engine/performance changes but I see almost NOTHING in improvements in
    this new design except raining in those huge screen shots Andy posts. Just a different
    way to show things.

btw, this post is 45% larger vertically in the new design.

Another thing just noticed, the new design does not have vertical scroll bars in the code box.
    Post #1 here.

50-100% ??? 45% ??? Surely you're exaggerating.

This post is only a few lines larger in the 2.0 skin:

20110801-petxiy5ufchtb7dk7ixyyh8tj2.png

Sorry you don't care for the new design, Allen. We're really excited about it and having used it for the past many weeks I can tell you that I find it to be much easier to use and read than the old skin. Part of the readability issue with the old skin is that it was overly cramped (IMO).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Justin BJustin B Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 488
    edited August 1, 2011
    Post #1 here.

Thanks for the report. The code box should be working as expected now.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 1, 2011

A first impression... on the home page, the bar that contains sub-forums (for example, the lighter gray bar under Flea Market) is a little distracting, I think. My eyes think it's a divider. They see it as being as powerful as a forum header (like the bar the says "Shots").

Great job guys :ivar

Edit: Oh, and I think we need a "home" tab at the top navbar. My mouse keeps going to the left, only to find that I have to click on the DGrin logo at the top. This is especially important when I'm not viewing a thread, so I don't have the home icon there.

I have the same complaint about the sub-forum highlighting. The old way seemed fine to me, dunno. I think it may be mostly a problem for n00bs though, as once you get used to using the new nav bar dropdown menus, you will no longer have to scroll down to get to the forum you want.

I don't understand the home tab issue. There is a home icon at the beginning of the breadcrumb trail, and I think that's visible everywhere. Perhaps you didn't notice it--it's just below the nav bar. Personally, I just click on the Dgrin logo, which is a lot bigger and makes for an easier target than anything on the nav bar.
    edited August 1, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I have the same complaint about the sub-forum highlighting. The old way seemed fine to me, dunno. I think it may be mostly a problem for n00bs though, as once you get used to using the new nav bar dropdown menus, you will no longer have to scroll down to get to the forum you want.

I don't understand the home tab issue. There is a home icon at the beginning of the breadcrumb trail, and I think that's visible everywhere. Perhaps you didn't notice it--it's just below the nav bar. Personally, I just click on the Dgrin logo, which is a lot bigger and makes for an easier target than anything on the nav bar.

I saw the home icon after I wrote that :). I use the user control panel a lot, and it used to be on the left, now it's on the right. It'll take some getting used to, but I do like the new layout thumb.gif.

When the font tags were disabled, some of the older posts became cluttered with the font tags all over them (i.e. wxwax's signature). Is this permanent?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 1, 2011
    When the font tags were disabled, some of the older posts became cluttered with the font tags all over them (i.e. wxwax's signature). Is this permanent?
    It's a known bug. We'll fix it.
    edited August 1, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    It's a known bug. We'll fix it.

The fix is to edit the font tags out, which we've been doing as we can. Hopefully when it's painfully obvious each user will clean up their own, and it will get done faster and better than we've been doing it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 1, 2011
    Wow, that has got to be a LOT of work. If there are any of my posts that need it, I'll be happy to do it, just show me where :)
    edited August 1, 2011
    10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, .....
    edited August 1, 2011
    Wow, that has got to be a LOT of work. If there are any of my posts that need it, I'll be happy to do it, just show me where :)

Posts are easy, just click the plain text icon. Signatures require hand editing. I fixed wxwax's. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    :eat
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site