Countdown to Dgrin 2.0

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    No, sorry. I'm not following you. Will I be able to customize my view so that I have dark text on a light background?

Yes, there will be two versions of the new skin. We've not yet started on the one you want, we're still working on the basics of the one that we posted. Once that's done we can concentrate on making a light backgrounded version. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 2, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    I'm gonna be hard to convince, guys!mwink.gif

I think we're going to hit that high mark! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Yes, there will be two versions of the new skin. We've not yet started on the one you want, we're still working on the basics of the one that we posted. Once that's done we can concentrate on making a light backgrounded version. thumb.gif

Sounds good. Thanks for a direct answer.
    edited June 2, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Improved search function would definitely be thumb.gif

But can I cajole, beg and plead that you keep the clean simplicity of the current dgrin interface? That's one of the things I LOVE about it. It isn't cluttered up by zilions of icons, buttons, colour-schemes, sub-menus and STUFF. Simple Can Be Good :D

Just my 2c.

We're cleaning house, not decorating with tchotchkes. :davidto
    Moderator Emeritus
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    David, thanks for the answer about the "You" button--much appreciated.

I echo Neill's post about ratings. I also belong to other boards that use ratings. They fit fine for those subjects but I don't see a need for it on DGrin. Sure, I like to hear nice things about my shots but the real reason I come to DGrin is for the community and for the help with my photography.

Looking forward to seeing everything!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    I agree with Neil. IMHO the ratings are useless and that feature should just be removed. I remember once I especially liked a thread and gave it 5 stars. I think that's the only rating I've ever given.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Over the years I've been a member of Dgrin, the most frequently and spontaneously expressed appreciations I have seen have been for the quality of the communication here, for the help given on the spot by people you feel some friendship for, for the very real community of people passionate about photography, about enjoying photography, and enjoying association with each other. To my mind that needs no added tinsel. That needs no social media style whipped up ratings popularity frenzy.
    thumb.gif
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    I'm very excited for all the upcoming changes... can't wait to see as everything gets rolled out!
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Not immediately. We're not yet ready to move to vB4.
    I hope you never move. vb4 is clumsy and slow to say the least of its issues.

The new style is web 2.0 terrific. thumb.gif Any plans to use a content management system for the homepage or social plugins for facebook/twitter/etc?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I'm excited to see a UI upgrade. The forums are showing their age a bit. Thanks for all the hard work. Looking forward to when the update goes live!
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
    edited June 11, 2011
    I'm excited to see a UI upgrade. The forums are showing their age a bit. Thanks for all the hard work. Looking forward to when the update goes live!

Thanks! Yah, we can't wait, either. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Hopefully you leave "The Refinery" with Dgrin 1. I"m tired of seeing that dead forum that no one has been able to write to for over 6 months.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited June 13, 2011
    davev wrote: »
    Hopefully you leave "The Refinery" with Dgrin 1. I"m tired of seeing that dead forum that no one has been able to write to for over 6 months.

That is the plan. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    This looks like the type of UI change that will get me to spend more time on DG. (TBQH, I am somewhat put off by the current color / design schemes, as superficial as that sounds.) Looking forward to it!
    edited June 20, 2011
    Brendan wrote: »
    This looks like the type of UI change that will get me to spend more time on DG. (TBQH, I am somewhat put off by the current color / design schemes, as superficial as that sounds.) Looking forward to it!

Good to hear! I can tell you that even though it's unfinished, the version we're working with behind the scenes is MUCH more enjoyable. I think you'll be pleased. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Brendan wrote: »

Not sure what you have in mind as an alternative to the s.q.headscratch.gif

For the best viewing of images - and doesn't that touch on the heart of the philosophy at SM & DG - you need dim and neutral surrounds. Which is what we, elegantly, have (almost). As soon as you put complex and coloured visuals on the same page as images two things happen: first your eyes keep getting tangled up in those distractions, and second they change the perception of colour. Only recently, gaudy and excessive signatures were given the bullet here for just such reasons.

Such style pages would be a plague on serious enjoyment of people's work here. OK for the lowest common denominator sites owned by Yahoo, Google, and their like, sure. Those environments need a bit of hyperactivity to make up for the less exciting images and personalities generally in those places!mwink.gifrofl Peace! iloveyou.gif

There is something to be said for having class, especially when that class is based on actual best viewing principles.

Caveat mutator!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I hope some links I use to navigate get a bit bigger - finger friendly.
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    It may be something that you can’t provide given the software that runs the site. But . . . my biggest problem is that I have to increase to get a large enough font for easy reading (I am 68) and then that makes it necessary to scroll from left to right and back again for every line EVER TIME there is a large photo in the same post! Part of that is my screen size as I am on an older (ThankPad from just as Lenovo was taking over from IBM) 15" laptop as my ONLY computer running XP PRO.

I would so like to have a way to get the text at a size that is easy to read without scrolling because of the size photo(s) posted in the same post. This also makes it necessary to scroll the larger photos or reduce things to the point where I can’t read the text posted with them.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 22, 2011
    Jane B. wrote: »
    It may be something that you can’t provide given the software that runs the site. But . . . my biggest problem is that I have to increase to get a large enough font for easy reading (I am 68) and then that makes it necessary to scroll from left to right and back again for every line EVER TIME there is a large photo in the same post! Part of that is my screen size as I am on an older (ThankPad from just as Lenovo was taking over from IBM) 15" laptop as my ONLY computer running XP PRO.

I would so like to have a way to get the text at a size that is easy to read without scrolling because of the size photo(s) posted in the same post. This also makes it necessary to scroll the larger photos or reduce things to the point where I can’t read the text posted with them.

I am also working on a ThinkPad running XP. Since the screen is high resolution, most text is too small to read without enlargement. You might want to try a Firefox extension called NoSquint. It is more sophisticated than the standard FF zoom controls. You can control text size independently of other screen graphics (like images) and it remembers the settings you choose for each site you visit. Check it out.
    edited June 22, 2011
    I hope some links I use to navigate get a bit bigger - finger friendly.

Don't make me guess! lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 22, 2011
    Jane B. wrote: »

Jane, we are working on something to deal with large photos. Your feedback is great, and I'll keep it in mind as we test out the new method we're working on.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 22, 2011
    Not sure what you have in mind as an alternative to the s.q.headscratch.gif

For the best viewing of images - and doesn't that touch on the heart of the philosophy at SM & DG - you need dim and neutral surrounds. Which is what we, elegantly, have (almost). As soon as you put complex and coloured visuals on the same page as images two things happen: first your eyes keep getting tangled up in those distractions, and second they change the perception of colour. Only recently, gaudy and excessive signatures were given the bullet here for just such reasons.

Such style pages would be a plague on serious enjoyment of people's work here. OK for the lowest common denominator sites owned by Yahoo, Google, and their like, sure. Those environments need a bit of hyperactivity to make up for the less exciting images and personalities generally in those places!mwink.gifrofl Peace! iloveyou.gif

There is something to be said for having class, especially when that class is based on actual best viewing principles.

Caveat mutator!

Neil

Neil, I honestly don't know if there's a feature request in this post, or if you're just making a comment. headscratch.gif

Either way is fine, just not sure if I should be taking notes! lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Jane, we are working on something to deal with large photos. Your feedback is great, and I'll keep it in mind as we test out the new method we're working on.
    There's a bunch of great plugins for this on vb.org
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Neil, I honestly don't know if there's a feature request in this post, or if you're just making a comment. headscratch.gif

Either way is fine, just not sure if I should be taking notes! lol3.gif

Hi David, really was just responding to Brendan's dissatisfaction with the current DG viewing environment.

...Which is pretty close to ideal, I reckon!

If I were to wish for anything, it would be to make a virtue, as well as a necessity, of minimalism!:D At the moment we have a really image viewing enhancing balance of restrained greys which interrelate in a sophisticated layout with gradients and subtle contrasts. (Actually the gradients are a perceptual illusion - which underlines the danger of introducing colour on these pages - it will certainly affect the perception of colours in images - how can we tell if there is a colour cast issue, or whether what we perceive is inaccurate?) Whoever designed this originally had class, both in understanding of best image viewing principles and artistic elegance.

The banner at the top of the viewing pages, which I always try to avoid looking at, could perhaps do with a revamp. The idea of designing the site like a gallery experience appeals to me: when you go to a gallery the lobby/foyer/atrium is visually very busy, colourful and exciting - it stimulates and sensitises your senses for the treats to come. But when you enter an exhibition, everything is stripped away to allow the works themselves to have full and total command of your attention.

It's never my wish to throw cold water on enthusiasm, but at the same time I think what exists has to be reassessed not from a position of how it can be changed, but how its value can be retained.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 23, 2011
    Neil,
    We're adding a little color gradient to the banner and nav bar. The rest of the thread view will remain neutral. I think the image viewing experience will be be pretty much the same. Like you, I scroll down immediately so as not to let the color of the thumbs interfere with seeing the pics in all their glory. mwink.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I like it! Its like having SmugMug integrated in.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Just an update: we've been hard at work on this, especially over the past 30 days. We're nearly done! We are expecting to launch on August 1st, or thereabouts.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Sweet! Can't wait clap.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Since FB/Twitter are rolled into Dgrin at present, will G+ be integrated into Dgrin 2.0? A +1 would be nice to share posts. Would be awesome if I could have a +1 that would feature a drop down to share with a particular circle.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Since FB/Twitter are rolled into Dgrin at present, will G+ be integrated into Dgrin 2.0? A +1 would be nice to share posts. Would be awesome if I could have a +1 that would feature a drop down to share with a particular circle.

It's not in the plan for v1, as it's all so new, but we will look at it.