Options

Countdown to Dgrin 2.0

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I'm loving the nav bar and the fit-to-screen + full size image viewing!thumb.giflust

?? possible to get live notification of "You"-clipboard unread count??

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    I'm loving the nav bar and the fit-to-screen + full size image viewing!thumb.giflust

?? possible to get live notification of "You"-clipboard unread count??

Neil

Nice, glad you like it!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do think that it wouldn't be wise to do that, since the icon is for your control panel, not just subscribed threads, and I think that would be misleading.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Just a heads-up on a possible bug.

I'm composing a post (usually in Quick Reply box if it matters). I type, then type some more, then go up to make some changes. Every time I type a new character, the following one is deleted. So if I type "ad", put my cursor between the two letters, and type an "n", it erases the "d". If I remember correctly, it was happening on the old style too. Just the past few days.

Or it might be my computer.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011

Or it might be my computer.

Seems like it. I can't replicate it. OS and browser?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Every time I type a new character, the following one is deleted. So if I type "ad", put my cursor between the two letters, and type an "n", it erases the "d".

"insert" key accidentally pressed? ne_nau.gif Try toggling it on and off and see if it fixes it thumb.gif
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I'm using Windows 7 and IE8.

Wait... hey, that's it! 11doh.gif I didn't know the Insert key could be toggled. Thanks Diva!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I'm using Windows 7 and IE8.

Wait... hey, that's it! 11doh.gif I didn't know the Insert key could be toggled. Thanks Diva!

Just for giggles - try a modern browser: Firefox or Chrome thumb.gif you won't regret it, promise.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Just for giggles - try a modern browser: Firefox or Chrome thumb.gif you won't regret it, promise.
    The insert key toggles on Firefox too. And Chrome also, I believe. But otherwise, I agree!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    The view count has never been a reliable number. It is grossly inflated by search engine spiders, software that crawls the entire Web gathering links. At best, it only gives you a vague idea of how many people have viewed a thread and at worst--depending on recent activity--it gives an entirely misleading picture. You can still see it, if you want, by a mouseover, but take it with a kilo of salt.

Thanks, Richard. I wasn't aware of this. I guess I assumed that SM would be able to differentiate between spiders and actual page views, like Google Analytics does. Does this mean that our gallery stats are skewed in the same way?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited August 3, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Thanks, Richard. I wasn't aware of this. I guess I assumed that SM would be able to differentiate between spiders and actual page views, like Google Analytics does. Does this mean that our gallery stats are skewed in the same way?
    Dgrin views counts are completely separate from SM gallery stats. I don't know this for sure, but looking at my own SM stats, I'd say spiders are not counted. Maybe someone from SM can jump in and give a definitive answer. ear.gif
  • Options
    BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    The new design is great! Looking forward to the upcoming SM update as well. :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011

thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    devbobo wrote: »
    it's in the sidebar on the main forum index...

20110802-gk64k37ujp674i7c9m7ktatugc.jpg
    Andy wrote: »
    Check the sidebar announcement on the homepage, we gave the props to Fastline Media.
    Thank you both. I'll have to get in touch with them during my slow time this winter. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Here's a way that at least 1/2 inch of vertical space could be saved on each & every post, with nothing lost: See the "Reply" and "Quote" words & icons down at the bottom right under each post? They could be moved up into the same box with the poster's siggy, on the same lines. They don't need an entire sub-frame (or whatever you wanna call it) to themselves. The siggys never use that space over on the right side anyway. The "Report" thing could come up into that same line as well. If something unnecessary doesn't get compressed here, this site is going to be so much more unwieldy than it was. It was already frustrating that we couldn't just scroll down through a lot more posts rather than paging, and now we're doing even more paging unnecessarily.
    But this doesn't work in all posts. For example, yours. :D On 1024x768 resolution, the buttons would cut into your signature.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    The insert key toggles on Firefox too. And Chrome also, I believe. But otherwise, I agree!
    Ummm...guys, this worked this way all the way back to DOS 1.0.

Insert is on or off by default depending on the program being used. It used to be defaulted off, but now is defaulted on. And you can change the behavior by pressing insert to toggle it. I guess there should be a light on the keyboard like for caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock. Scroll lock? Does anything use that anymore? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I love it at home, but alas I can no longer use dgrin from work since this update :cry

yes, we're forced to only use IE6, and I'm completely used to the 'your web experience may be less than optimal, please upgrade to a modern browser' message (and I'm okay with less than optimal. I'm sadly used to this). However, dgrin's message is not just at the top of the page, but COVERS most of the page and there is no dismiss/close box. This message shows up on 90% of the pages, but not all the time (with no consistency). Just enough to give me hope... then it pops up again and will NOT go away and there is no way to make it go away.

So, guess I have to give up dgrin for a while. Sorry guys. see ya. ne_nau.gif

(and I'm entirely serious with NO choice in the IE6/windows choice. so please don't tell me how idiotic it is, I'm pretty well aware. thanks.)
    //Leah
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    I love it at home, but alas I can no longer use dgrin from work since this update ... So, guess I have to give up dgrin for a while.
    At work, I can understand (no, I don't really), but at home? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    I love it at home, but alas I can no longer use dgrin from work since this update :cry

yes, we're forced to only use IE6, and I'm completely used to the 'your web experience may be less than optimal, please upgrade to a modern browser' message (and I'm okay with less than optimal. I'm sadly used to this). However, dgrin's message is not just at the top of the page, but COVERS most of the page and there is no dismiss/close box. This message shows up on 90% of the pages, but not all the time (with no consistency). Just enough to give me hope... then it pops up again and will NOT go away and there is no way to make it go away.

So, guess I have to give up dgrin for a while. Sorry guys. see ya. ne_nau.gif

(and I'm entirely serious with NO choice in the IE6/windows choice. so please don't tell me how idiotic it is, I'm pretty well aware. thanks.)

We'll look into this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    At work, I can understand (no, I don't really), but at home? ne_nau.gif

Oh, MacBook Pro and OS X Lion here at home. else I couldn't even post! :) but with life as it has been this last month and the next two months looking forward, I get a few scattered minutes here and there for online activity, of which dgrin is one of several (but in the top 5!). Now, a slow Sunday at work? :D they don't mind us web browsing between calls, nor during the late evenings I work. that's where honestly 90% of my web activity is, even up to 95% lately.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    We'll look into this.

Thanks! if it could be put at the top or some such that it could be worked around, I would LOVE you (or whomever does it :) ). I'd send you screen caps, but working on financial systems, we're rather restricted from uploading files/images/etc. Annoying but safety is good. I work for too huge of a banking/brokerage system for them to be too lax in security.

IE8 rollout is sometime 'in the next year'. oh the pain!
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    IE8 rollout is sometime 'in the next year'. oh the pain!
    Just in time for the IE10 release. Isn't corporate IT fun? mwink.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Isn't corporate IT fun?
    I've been in the States several times with and for clients talking to IT vendors and 'reference' users (mainly Fortune 500 companies), and I've never ceased to be amazed at the backwardness and naivety of the IT industry and user community over there. It's not 'fun', it's a joke! There's little for our companies to learn about the planning and deployment of IT in the USA - that's for sure! mwink.gif
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Really missing the "views" column. Hover doesn't cut it.

I agree, I miss them too. It helps in determining level of interest on a topic.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    pic not showing during reply
    When typing a reply, I used to be able to scroll down and view the pic(s) in the post. That doesn't seem to be working any more. I'm using FF 5.0.

Edit: It works sometimes....
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    When typing a reply, I used to be able to scroll down and view the pic(s) in the post. That doesn't seem to be working any more. I'm using FF 5.0.

I can't replicate this. The images show just fine in FF5 (Mac).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    You're probably using the Quick Reply box. I also use FF5 and the images appear when using the reply button below the post.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Nope, full reply. This thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=203186
    Hmm...you're right. That post contains an attached image, not the usual linked one. I wonder if that's the problem. I don't recall whether attached images could be quoted in the old version, but I think not.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Hmm...you're right. That post contains an attached image, not the usual linked one. I wonder if that's the problem. I don't recall whether attached images could be quoted in the old version, but I think not.
    Correct, they weren't quoted.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Ok, thanks to all for the clarification.