Options

11:49 ET - Is Smug MugDown? Outage Update

Comments

• Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    that brings up another question- does Andy really exist or he just some guys in India with good knowledge of english language and working customer service and doing shifts on this board? I would think the real Andy is loaded from smugmug dough and skimming his yacht in the Mediterranean.
    hehe :) nice!

That would explain why Andy always seems to be around. I thought he was just an insomniac...
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    dstith wrote:
    Andy,

I noticed that Amazon was doing status updates about every 20 minutes during their part of this situation. You might want to consider doing something similar, that way hopefully you won't be bogged down with constant requests for updates.

You guys hang in there, this too shall pass!

David
    I think that's what I'm doing here, isn't it :P
  • Options
    shooter210shooter210 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Vegan.
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/baldy/2007/07/17/the-book-that-rocked-smugmug/

(sorry, the image isn't working now but it's for The China Study).

I admire your strength
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    smile wrote:
    My site is still down. It's been down all day. Will we be getting a credit?
    I'm really, really sorry that we've been down. Stay tuned here, and to our Status Blog for updates.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    So shooter... are you really Andy? rolleyes1.gif

Your posts (and others) brought a lot of members to Andy's (and SMug's) defense.... hmmm mwink.gif

Andy remind me to bring this up tomorrow in staff meeting...
  • Options
    ShaneJShaneJ Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    dstith wrote:
    Andy,

I noticed that Amazon was doing status updates about every 20 minutes during their part of this situation. You might want to consider doing something similar, that way hopefully you won't be bogged down with constant requests for updates.

You guys hang in there, this too shall pass!

David

:D:D [funny sarcasm] Yeah, you should consider communicating with your customers a little. [/funny sarcasm]
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I love SmugMug
    This is the first time in my 20 months that I've had a "what's going on" moment.
    So...
    What's going on?
  • Options
    drif10drif10 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Amazon's dashboard says all is good, but mine is still down.

No big, been a smuggy customer for years, with the only problem being the idiot on my side of the keyboard. :D

I think it's that damn pic of the boss painted green that has all the servers spooked..mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Shooter210 - lay off and give Andy a break - you're a serial pest !!!!
    Give us all a break !!!

it was a legit question (and he answered it well) under his name says "hold the beef" sure maybe small talk at this point in the game was not appropriate but nothing else is happening is it?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    drif10 wrote:
    Amazon's dashboard says all is good, but mine is still down.

No big, been a smuggy customer for years, with the only problem being the idiot on my side of the keyboard. :D

I think it's that damn pic of the boss painted green that has all the servers spooked..mwink.gif
    Hah it's not Amazon right now, 'tis us, I'm sorry to say. Onethumb's working on it.

I'm really sorry, Drif! Thanks for your patience while we work it all out.
  • Options
    battsbatts Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    great work
    I'm glad to have the feeling Smugmug is doing everything it can to do the right thing during this unfortunate event. Thank you to everyone involved.

No lack of excitement in this thread and I'm sure at Smugmug.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    ok...too some up our (my) feelings right now.......we (i) do like my smugmug, they do, do a awsome job for us(me)but............AUGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bash :bash :bash
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    ok...too some up our (my) feelings right now.......we (i) do like my smugmug, they do, do a awsome job for us(me)but............AUGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bash :bash :bash

That was deep...
  • Options
    roliirolii Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    And to think I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to a Power account...
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:
    That was deep...

Maybe we could all pass the time by posting what photos we would be uploading right now if we could.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:
    Maybe we could all pass the time by posting what photos we would be uploading right now if we could.

I'll start<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Two news assignments and one client upload <o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:

Good one
  • Options
    JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    i also own a forum and know firsthand the frustration of server errors.

i have been a smugmug and dgrin user for quite some time and cannot recall experiencing disruptions in service. i'm quite certain Andy and team are all over this and will resolve the issue expeditiously.

please lend your support and be patient.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm losing track of how many times Andy has said "sorry", and "we're doing the best we can." Yet I see so many posts that are asking the same questions and making demands of "when will it be ready?".

Give the guy a break and let him ( and his team ) do their work. And for those just coming on board looking for answers, it seems the thread is loaded with every conceivable one that Smugmug can provide . . .

As much as I'd like to see my album up and running, I wouldn't want to be in the support teams' shoes right now. Hope for their sake things get wrapped up soon and they can go home for a well deserved rest . . .

Peter
  • Options
    oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I have no idea what this means - if you'd like, tomorrow, please email it to me ATTN: Andy in the subject line with explanations and I'll reply from there. Thanks!
    The "email it to me" link is itself experiencing some difficulties. ;)

Anyway, check out GoDaddy's guarantee on Service Availability. which is at 99.9%. That is what me and Matthew were asking, if Smugmug publish any uptime/downtime info.
    Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Ungh. This sucks for you guys, more than for us users. I know what is like to have to go back to work and work many late hours (on a Sunday!) because of some server or other computer-related errors.

Speaking of which, I need to log into work myself as soon as i get this messag posted.

This is my first ever site down with smugmug and I usually even miss the weekly updates read-only mode.

I'm confident that you all will fix this as soon as you can.

Have a triple espresso mocha latte! :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Isn't it a little worrying that a whole blog is needed to give us "official notifications and info about SmugMug outages"? Aren't these amongst the rarest of ocurrences in the first place?
  • Options
    dstithdstith Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Peter wrote:
    I'm losing track of how many times Andy has said "sorry", and "we're doing the best we can." Yet I see so many posts that are asking the same questions and making demands of "when will it be ready?".

Give the guy a break and let him ( and his team ) do their work.

Peter

Agreed!
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    oddstuff wrote:
    help @ s mug mug dot com

thanks
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    rolii wrote:
    Isn't it a little worrying that a whole blog is needed to give us "official notifications and info about SmugMug outages"? Aren't these amongst the rarest of ocurrences in the first place?
    Nah not worrying, when you think about it - it's a good thing.. We made this blog to have a place, that was offsite from SmugMug, where we could post updates as needed. Our customers asked for it and so we made it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    pabsterpabster Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    oddstuff wrote:

Anyway, check out GoDaddy's guarantee on Service Availability. which is at 99.9%. That is what me and Matthew were asking, if Smugmug publish any uptime/downtime info.

Any good SLA will be 99.99. Better ones are 99.999. It really doesn't matter though as you are not purchasing or bound by any SLA with a SmugMug account. I'm guessing there's quite a few who wish they were...
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:
    or you could do something productive.

I'll start:

hug your kids
    do some crunches
    clean your desk
    or like me, do dishes.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    JonMikal wrote:
    i'm quite certain Andy and team are all over this and will resolve the issue expeditiously.

please lend your support and be patient.

For all we know Andy is some high school student being paid $7.00 an hour to sit at the public library on the free for 2 hours computers and post "I’m Sorry" and "We are working on it" For all we know the "engineers" may be union and can only pull 2.25 hour shifts with out getting their mandatory 30 min smokie. For all we know some janitor in some dark office plugged his vacuum cleaner into the wrong outlet and now is fumbling around in his wallet trying to find "that number" he is suppose to call if things go hay-wire.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:
    ]For all we know Andy is some high school student being paid $7.00 an hour to sit at the public library on the free for 2 hours computers and post "I’m Sorry"

iloveyou.gif I love you, Man.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:
    For all we know Andy is some high school student being paid $7.00 an hour to sit at the public library on the free for 2 hours computers and post "I’m Sorry" and "We are working on it" For all we know the "engineers" may be union and can only pull 2.25 hour shifts with out getting their mandatory 30 min smokie. For all we know some janitor in some dark office plugged his vacuum cleaner into the wrong outlet and now is fumbling around in his wallet trying to find "that number" he is suppose to call if things go hay-wire.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I think right about now most of us are coming to the conclusion that shooter210 is not very good at taking hints...give it a rest! It's hard to read the important news when it's mixed in with all your ramblings.
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬