Options

11:49 ET - Is Smug MugDown? Outage Update

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I hate to ask this -- but people are saying their sites are humming along so fast. Well....mine is moving sooooo slow.

Any idea as to why since everyplace else I go on the internet it's moving good.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I hate to ask this -- but people are saying their sites are humming along so fast. Well....mine is moving sooooo slow.

Mary Kim: Please write our Support Heroes and let us run some diagnostics on your route to SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Mary Kim: Please write our Support Heroes and let us run some diagnostics on your route to SmugMug.

Will do that Andy.

Hey....you need to get some sleep :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:

FWIW - I gave it a shot (from Newport News VA) and found the front page to load slow. After that, the galleries were loading about as fast as those in my site. Don't know if that helps any, but I tried.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    FWIW - I gave it a shot (from Newport News VA) and found the front page to load slow. After that, the galleries were loading about as fast as those in my site. Don't know if that helps any, but I tried.

Thanks Scott. I tired a gallery after my page finally loaded and that to was slow for me.

Maybe up here in the cold tundra it just takes longer rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    populuspopulus Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks Scott. I tired a gallery after my page finally loaded and that to was slow for me.

Maybe up here in the cold tundra it just takes longer rolleyes1.gif

Well, it's hot down here in Kentucky, but Smugmug is pretty useless for me today, too. Thumbs load fast enough but larger pix (in Smugmug gallery style) take forever to load - 30 seconds to over a minute.

I've sent a report to Support, but I wonder how many others have slow response times. I was hoping to do some sales this week, so this is a bummer.
    My Smugmug Site: photos.kimmerer.com
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    populus wrote:
    Well, it's hot down here in Kentucky, but Smugmug is pretty useless for me today, too. Thumbs load fast enough but larger pix (in Smugmug gallery style) take forever to load - 30 seconds to over a minute.

I've sent a report to Support, but I wonder how many others have slow response times. I was hoping to do some sales this week, so this is a bummer.

I sent an email into smug for some help. I'm running a test right now. I had my hubby try it on his cable connection since I have a phone connection and he said his is loading slow to headscratch.gif

I know I will get it worked out with the help of Doc and the others....just takes some time :D
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    mikegodwin wrote:
    Not to complain or anything, but what about the Pros that aren't able sell anything durning the outage.
    Just a thought.

Yeah, that crossed my mind, and I don't pretend to know how much business you pros get on weekends, since the internet is a 24/7 business.

If your car broke down, or your furnace exploded, leaving you unable to go to work on a particular day, are you going to demand a day's pay from Ford, or from your furnace manufacturer?

As unfortunate as it is, it is the way of the world (internet). For us to demand compensation is ludicrous. I'm not going to demand that God pay me for missing work because he snowed me in last December. *yes, I know that's extreme*

It's annoying that there are people that have an insane sense of entitlement about things. Yes it sucks, but the pros aren't the only ones with lost revenue. SM lost potential new customers. Amazon likely lost ad revenue/new customers. It's not like they made out like bandits and we (we being those that sell photos, me not included) got the shaft.

I'm sure you were just playing devil's advocate, but I still think my point stands.
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    My pages seemed to have slowed down a little bit since 11am. But I can't complain at the moment, since I'm at work and well... shouldn't be on my site hiding or deleting photos. Plus we're having a thunderstorm which doesn't help matters.

Mary Kim - I went to your site and photos weren't bad at loading until it came down to the LAST image. The 1 image took a very long time. But I get that on my site as well... from here and from home. ne_nau.gif

==At home when working on smug, if it creeps a little, I just find something else to do. I keep a game in the taskbar (Zuma) or AoE III and pull it up when needed to pass the time - or I end up playing with the dog.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    My pages seemed to have slowed down a little bit since 11am. But I can't complain at the moment, since I'm at work and well... shouldn't be on my site hiding or deleting photos. Plus we're having a thunderstorm which doesn't help matters.

Mary Kim - I went to your site and photos weren't bad at loading until it came down to the LAST image. The 1 image took a very long time. But I get that on my site as well... from here and from home. ne_nau.gif

==At home when working on smug, if it creeps a little, I just find something else to do. I keep a game in the taskbar (Zuma) or AoE III and pull it up when needed to pass the time - or I end up playing with the dog.

Thanks for taking a look at the site....I know...when it gets to the end it just doesn't want to fill the last few for me :D

I am playing with my dogs and cleaning up my office...much more fun playing with the dogs.
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks for taking a look at the site....I know...when it gets to the end it just doesn't want to fill the last few for me :D

I am playing with my dogs and cleaning up my office...much more fun playing with the dogs.

Mary, for what it is worth, I took a look at your site and it seems to be working A OK for me. Home page took about 1.5 seconds to load. Navigating the galleries was no problem. I clicked on the Red River gallery and started the slide show in fast mode with no problems. Pics display as they should.

I'm connected with Comcast high speed internet at home.
    Hope this helps.
    It's hot in Texas! :D
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    Doug_CDoug_C Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Doug,

Sorry for your troubles. I see 10 photos in your email gallery. If there should be any more, please try sending them again. Sebastian

Thanks for the reply - I'm not home till 10:00 BST so can't try anything until then.

Looks like all the images sent last night got lost in hyperspace :-(

The ones that did appear were the few I sent this morning.
    Cheers,
    Dougie
    Canon 5D Mark III
    http://www.dougie-coull-photography.com/
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Mary, for what it is worth, I took a look at your site and it seems to be working A OK for me. Home page took about 1.5 seconds to load. Navigating the galleries was no problem. I clicked on the Red River gallery and started the slide show in fast mode with no problems. Pics display as they should.

I'm connected with Comcast high speed internet at home.
    Hope this helps.
    It's hot in Texas! :D
    Mike

Mike that helps me a lot.

I ran a check for Doc and there was a problem, but I think it is with Qwest and maybe alittle on smugs end, but they are working on that :D I've
    called Qwest to have them check it out now. I bet those dang squirrels have been eating at the line again....yummmy for them, but terrible for me.

I just checked my site...slow for me and still slow for my hubby at work. I wonder if its a Tundra problem rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    allymcbellallymcbell Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2008
    My page won't load at all
    I could see it earlier today, and I can see other people's pages...

Thoughts? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Hmmm
    I'm noticing some delays too. Data transfer rates seem fine. Just a lot of waiting for responses from time to time.headscratch.gif
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    momv630momv630 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    xris wrote:
    I'm noticing some delays too. Data transfer rates seem fine. Just a lot of waiting for responses from time to time.headscratch.gif
    thumb.gif

s-l-o-w here too....
    A Shutterfly account is faster than this. UGH! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    HylanderHylander Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    xris wrote:
    thumb.gif

My site is fairly slow today as well. Images that aren't in browser cache are taking a minute or longer to load.
  • Options
    costantinidiscostantinidis Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    A friend reported to me that the gallery link I sent him wasn't working. I tried to open the gallery myself and the thumbnails didn't load. Half an hour later and everything is fine now.
  • Options
    NougatNougat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Slow site today
    My site is very slow today too. I've tried it from two different internet connections and it was painfully slow on both.
  • Options
    PAVPAV Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Very Slow for me too. Both Safari, and Firefox 3.0.1. Some Themes just won't load the thumbs or anything, some load improperly with the large image below the thumbs and nothing on the side of the thumbs.
    I cleared my Firefox Cache and cookies and that did seem to help a little. Some of the themes load better since doing that.
    Mine really has seemed slower than normal for about a week now, but I know there has been some construction going on, even before the Amazon Meltdown.
    I hope this is still a temporary construction issue!
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Disaster Recovery Plans
    I'm sure everyone has had some time to cool down now.

I have a background in software development and I'm usually all over Smugmug for not upholding standard software development practices...however, less than 24 hours of downtime on a system that was not designated as a critical system (if you chose to use it as one, that's your own bed you made), is a pretty good turnaround...in fact, you were up in less than 12 hours - bravo! I trust Smug will figure out how to reduce/eliminate singular points of failure for the future - especially having just announced Smug-Vault and hoping we will rely on those Amazon servers!

The incident raises an important question though...Amazon fixed their problem...and so Smug was able to recover. But, what if Amazon could not fix their problem? Would we have lost galleries and photos? Is there a backup schedule for our data? In short, does Smugmug have a Disaster Recovery Plan that covers ALL of its resources (servers, buildings, people, cash), including third party resources?

If it doesn't , it should (as in a published document available to current and future customers). That's part of being in this business. It would also serve to set the expectations of those who want to base capital-critical applications on the Smug platform!

So what should we expect wrt DR plans? What are the data retention strategies employed by Smug and it's subcontractors? In a worse-case scenario, what should we expect regarding our galleries and photos (and tell our customers)?

Isn't it a drag there's so much real-stuff to think about and we can't just focus on whether or not the cartoon is cool? !!!

Thanks,
    - Gary.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Doug_C wrote:
    I should clarify "Off-Peak".

It's Freeola. They offer an "On-Peak" allowance which is normally fine, and a very generous "Off-Peak" allowance.

For the first time in 10 months I've creeped over on my "On-Peak" so now pay per Gigabyte above my tariff.

Four days to go so keen not to browse "On-Peak". Using my Mobile Broadband just now till my allowance resets.

On the other front it's now 17 hours since I could get my images on site, and STILL waiting - not a happy bunny :tough

Heading to work now so unlikely to get anything done for another 12 hours.

Oh, you're in the UK. "Free ISP". Wow, I remember years ago I tried a "Free DSL" provider that was ad-supported. Their ad-software didn't run in Linux but I could still use the connection.

Maybe that's why they went under. :-}
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    PAV wrote:
    I hope this is still a temporary construction issue!
    Me too. Our engineers are looking at why some are getting slow sites. More to come.
  • Options
    SkyStorm82SkyStorm82 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    The incident raises an important question though...Amazon fixed their problem...and so Smug was able to recover. But, what if Amazon could not fix their problem? Would we have lost galleries and photos?

That's a good question.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 21, 2008
    It looks like we had some overloaded network stuff and a small percentage of requests was getting processed much, much slower than usual. We have eliminated most of the problem and are working to completely resolve it.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    It looks like we had some overloaded network stuff and a small percentage of requests was getting processed much, much slower than usual. We have eliminated most of the problem and are working to completely resolve it.

Oh man, so much faster now. My standard test (80 image gallery in "All Thumbs" view) was taking something like 45 seconds to load, vs. larger thumbnails of the same images hosted on imageevent.com taking about 2 seconds.

Re-running my test on SmugMug in the past 5 minutes has resulted in in load times from 6-9seconds. A lot better, but ImageEvent is still so much faster. On the other hand, their UI is dead simple. No JavaScript to load, or anything.

Hrm, why does ShizamSlides.swf need to load before it's even been called? that 370KB takes 139ms to load.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Oh man, so much faster now. My standard test (80 image gallery in "All Thumbs" view) was taking something like 45 seconds to load, vs. larger thumbnails of the same images hosted on imageevent.com taking about 2 seconds.

Re-running my test on SmugMug in the past 5 minutes has resulted in in load times from 6-9seconds. A lot better, but ImageEvent is still so much faster. On the other hand, their UI is dead simple. No JavaScript to load, or anything.

Hrm, why does ShizamSlides.swf need to load before it's even been called? that 370KB takes 139ms to load.
    Stupid question, but did you flush your cache before each test?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:

Isn't it a drag there's so much real-stuff to think about and we can't just focus on whether or not the cartoon is cool? !!!

Thanks,
    - Gary.
    Awesome questions. Answers forthcoming:
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/back-to-normal-the-post-s3-problems/
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Wonder why wordpress felt that post was somehow related to a blog on calving cows? headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Wonder why wordpress felt that post was somehow related to a blog on calving cows?
    I'm thinking they may be similar processes?rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca