edited July 21, 2008
    Thank you Andy and all!
    Everything is looking great again!
    :ivar :ivar :ivar
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    JonMikal wrote:
    the mere fact that some of you are questioning his existence is absurd. i, for one, interpret his short answers as an indication he's also involved in the resolution of this issue. i also find it considerate that he's able to respond to your allegations and questions in a timely manner.

i'm not trying to bantor, just hoping you'll give the guy a break and have faith that everything is what it is and all will be good in no time.

as i said, i own a forum and have many users with smugmug accounts. this down time also reflects of the quality of my site as well. i have an open mind and realize **** happens.

trust!
    I hope you are joking, cause nobody that has been around SMug or dgrin would seriously question who or what Andy is to SMug, dgrin, and all of their members. More often than not, when I email or post a question... Andy is the one that answers. He and all SMug techs are appreciated.

Earlier in this thread Andy mentioned that the SMug staff has a sense of humor, ie that very cool TSI page. A few members trying to lighten up a thread that was getting rather nasty at times, defending Andy... well... hopefully that is ok with everyone, including Andy.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Nice to see they are back. :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    I hope you are joking, cause nobody that has been around SMug or dgrin would seriously question who or what Andy is to SMug, dgrin, and all of their members. More often than not, when I email or post a question... Andy is the one that answers. He and all SMug techs are appreciated.

Earlier in this thread Andy mentioned that the SMug staff has a sense of humor, ie that very cool TSI page. A few members trying to lighten up a thread that was getting rather nasty at times, defending Andy... well... hopefully that is ok with everyone, including Andy.
    The odds in vegas says andy's real name is akbar rokham mullalulahum from mumba inda. and hes a vegan cause cows are sacred there you know.
    oh yeah my pics are uploading but it looks like same performance starting and stopping intermittently.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    The odds in vegas says andy's real name is akbar rokham mullalulahum from mumba inda. and hes a vegan cause cows are sacred there you know.
    oh yeah my pics are uploading but it looks like same performance starting and stopping intermittently.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    roliirolii Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    rolii wrote:
    While we're at it, I'm sure someone here will be able to shed some light on this: Do Power accounts come with the custom domain thingey?

Now that we're all happy campers, anyone know about this?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 21, 2008
    rolii wrote:

Yes, power accounts can do custom domains thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    12:38 AM est
    I am up and running. It seems faster than in recent weeks.

Thanks Smug Mug. Gave me a break today.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    rolii wrote:
    I just looked this up for a friend yesterday, a link if you need it.
    Custom Host Name
  • Options
    roliirolii Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Yes, power accounts can do custom domains thumb.gif

Thanks so much. One more thing: will that cost me extra or is it included in the upgrade?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 21, 2008
    rolii wrote:
    Thanks so much. One more thing: will that cost me extra or is it included in the upgrade?

no, it doesn't include the cost of registering a domain.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    kriskroskriskros Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I'm glad my site is back
    Thank you, Smugmug.
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thanks
    Been watching and reading, but not posting. Was interesting read. lolThanks to everyone at SmugMug and Andy. Your committment is why I use your services.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    Doug_CDoug_C Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    Been watching and reading, but not posting. Was interesting read. lol Thanks to everyone at SmugMug .....
    I can now access my site, but images sent via e-mail last night are not showing.

Resent a batch and they are not appearing either.

Got up mega early to do all this as part of my off-peak ISP plan too :pissed
    Cheers,
    Dougie
    Canon 5D Mark III
    http://www.dougie-coull-photography.com/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:
    So wait...

As for the janitor... I say we need a new cleaning service... silly janitor...

As for the janitor mon....he no spekie or reedie anglish...ah hes blindded by da lite in one eye and is deef in da udder ear
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Whatever happens i am sure they will figure it out and learn from it. If i am not mistaken Smugmug is fairly "young" on the internet.

Founded in 2002, I'd say SmugMug is middle-aged. :-}

Because I was bored here's some launch/founding dates:

Yahoo: 1996
    Google: 1996
    Pbase: 1999
    Ofoto: 1999
    Yahoo! Photos: 2000
    SmugMug: 2002
    PhotoBucket: 2003
    Flickr: 2004
    Phanfare: 2004
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    rolii wrote:
    Isn't it a little worrying that a whole blog is needed to give us "official notifications and info about SmugMug outages"? Aren't these amongst the rarest of ocurrences in the first place?

As stated by Andy and others, the main reason for having updates on an external blogsite is not because it's a frequent occurrence, but because if outages are caused by network outages, it's nice to have the update server be on a completely separate network.

But yeah, I think it's weird that the format is a blog. I'd have preferred a status page like Pair.com's: http://www.pair.com/support/knowledge_base/our_network_and_servers/server_status.html

With a more traditional system notices page:
    http://www.pair.com/support/system_notices.html

But yeah, doing it as a blog is cheap, easy, allows for multiple users, etc etc. I'm just too old-school for this Web 2.0 fanciness. (Blogging software? What's wrong with vi and a bunch of Perl scripts? Psh.)
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Doug_C wrote:
    I can now access my site, but images sent via e-mail last night are not showing.

Whaaaat? Off-peak ISP plan? Who sells bandwidth like that?

I thought it was just cell phone companies that still ripped you off for "prime time" calling.

--Darryl (who should just go to sleep already)
  • Options
    Doug_CDoug_C Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Whaaaat? Off-peak ISP plan? Who sells bandwidth like that?

--Darryl (who should just go to sleep already)
    I should clarify "Off-Peak".

It's Freeola. They offer an "On-Peak" allowance which is normally fine, and a very generous "Off-Peak" allowance.

For the first time in 10 months I've creeped over on my "On-Peak" so now pay per Gigabyte above my tariff.

Four days to go so keen not to browse "On-Peak". Using my Mobile Broadband just now till my allowance resets.

On the other front it's now 17 hours since I could get my images on site, and STILL waiting - not a happy bunny :tough

Heading to work now so unlikely to get anything done for another 12 hours.
    Cheers,
    Dougie
    Canon 5D Mark III
    http://www.dougie-coull-photography.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    A few members trying to lighten up a thread that was getting rather nasty at times, defending Andy... well... hopefully that is ok with everyone, including Andy.
    Are you kidding, it is way okay :) Life's too short for BS, I'm in the "let's have some fun" camp! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Doug_C wrote:

Doug,

Sorry for your troubles. I see 10 photos in your email gallery. If there should be any more, please try sending them again. Our mail server was lagged a bit, but should be back to normal.

If you keep having problems, please email us at our helpdesk for fast assistance.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Did Amazon and/or smugmug take the unplanned downtime as an opportunity to optimize code or servers or ???

My galleries, slideshows, everything - are noticeably faster then they have ever been before.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    darryl wrote:

But yeah, doing it as a blog is cheap, easy, allows for multiple users, etc etc.
    Cheap's not the issue, but easy and multiple users is. I'd love to see something like AWS's status board incorporated into our blog. Maybe we can get a widget or something.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Did Amazon and/or smugmug take the unplanned downtime as an opportunity to optimize code or servers or ???

My galleries, slideshows, everything - are noticeably faster then they have ever been before.
    Cool!
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I thought it was funny that people were asking for some type of refund or extension of their service.

Just for the sake of argument.... if this were to be considered a two day outage:
    Standard users should get: $0.21
    Power users should get: $0.33
    Pro users should get: $0.82

w00t!!! I can't wait for my check!
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    JoeG wrote:
    I thought it was funny that people were asking for some type of refund or extension of their service.

Just for the sake of argument.... if this were to be considered a two day outage:

That made me laugh!! :lol

I have two photography websites, and I would consider both to have SUPERIOR customer service. However, Smugmug is definitely #1 in communication when something like this happens. I can come to this forum and see immediately what's up, and just knowing is reassuring. Also, Andy is here to respond to all of the questions people have. When my other website goes out, I only get updates twice a day or so, which is still great, but SM is so much better about communicating, answering questions, etc. Plus, when I am having my own problems w/ my site, my SM help desk e-mails are answered w/in MINUTES! Seriously, how can we complain??? ALL websites go down sometimes.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Pupator wrote:

Mine too - much faster this morning and I'm loving it!

Yesterday, I was more than just a little POed when I couldn't access my photos or upload new ones. But, this is the first major incident I've experienced in a couple of years (+/- : I really don't keep track of such things). When you look at it that way, over the long haul, this has been some amazing performance! Once I figured that out, I just had fun reading all the posts and wondering how Andy was able to maintain his cool (and wanting to be a fly on the wall to see what he was saying off-line mwink.gif).

Anyway - Good on SmugMug! Good on all the magic workers at SmugMug for getting things going again. And, Good on Andy - my respect for you has risen to yet another level (FWIW).
  • Options
    mikegodwinmikegodwin Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2008
    JoeG wrote:

Not to complain or anything, but what about the Pros that aren't able sell anything durning the outage.
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    dickdick Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I am just so happy it's back :ivar

The red X's over in ADVRider were killing me :D