Options

Power and Pro users with Custom Domains take note!! - Changes needed

Comments

• Options
    jwalkerohjwalkeroh Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I was thinking that it would be more obvious if it was a link under Topics. I see it linked that way on other pages such as the link on this page:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/great-prints/
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    ok I thought I had figured this out I followed the directions for godaddy, I started doing the changes around 11:30 monday night and still only in firefox when I type in on mac using firefox my website lamontphotography it directs me to google not my website but again on my mac using firefox I type in moonriverphotography it takes me to his website.

The pic below is what my godaddy settings look like...
    346348483_deq6W-M.jpg

Any idea of whats wrong?
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I just rechecked my setup on goDaddy and I believe if you drop the www in the CName you should be okay. Hope this helps.

Edit: Just put my glasses on and realized that the www was not in your string. Sorry
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2008
    Lamont, do not change your CNAME or A records. You have them exactly right for a www.lamontphotography.com and lamontphotography.com set up.

The part that I would question is the nameservers. Make sure you are not using the parked set. Change it to the hosted set. Just click on the blue nameservers listed and that will give you the option to switch them.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Lamont, do not change your CNAME or A records. You have them exactly right for a www.lamontphotography.com and lamontphotography.com set up.

The part that I would question is the nameservers. Make sure you are not using the parked set. Change it to the hosted set. Just click on the blue nameservers listed and that will give you the option to switch them.

Thanks I clicked the blue nameservers and it gives me three options (Parked/Hosting/Custom)

The option I have selected is the custom nameservers

So what should I do....
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Change it to the hosted set.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    changed and thats no good, site not working now :-(

I am gonna change it back to what it was.....

seems like my site is dead now :-(
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Lamont, Your site is coming right up for me via your custom domain.

How are you trying to access it? are you using the browser address bar? or are you using a goodle search?
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    ok its working
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SweeperSweeper Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Hi,.. I have 3 domain names registered now. Is it possible to have all 3 of them directed to my page on smugmug? They are all .ca extensions as well.

skipridge.ca
    photomill.ca
    cybarchive.ca

No webpage was ever made for any of them and at this point I simply have not had the free time to get working on any of them. Although each have their own photography related identity at this end, they will ultimately have a home at smugmug once I get some time to work on it all.

SkipRidge and PhotoMill are registered with "namespro.ca" and cyarchive is registered with "Internic.ca". Not sure if any of this will pose a problem.

I would ultimately like to have each of them point to separate pages on the smugmug site or at least all of them pointed to my mainpage at smug. The viewer or customer can then click on the appropriate page of their choice from there. Just wondering if this can be done.

...Steve
    Tax Me !!
    I'm Canadian, eh.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    I am afraid that you can only have one domain CNAMED to a SmugMug account at a time. There are ways to make multiple domains work. I have them listed here:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Multiple+Domains
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    If you use SmugMug's custom domain feature, you'll need to make a few (hopefully painless) changes.

It's best to take care of this immediately, but be sure you've made the necessary changes before September 3rd. We will be sending out more notifications by QuickNews, Blogs, Release Notes and Email.

eeek - only just seen this - a note on the home page like most news would have been good.mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    thumb.gif Its coming. I do not control the news postings so that is why I wanted to start spreading the word here first. At least you are ahead of the the rush.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    eeek - only just seen this - a note on the home page like most news would have been good.mwink.gif
    Why worry? We've promised notice. We've published it here, and in our Pro Blog and we've promised a note to you via your QuickNews Settings.

Now you know, get 'er done. Holler at Doc if you have questions.
  • Options
    grickettsgricketts Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Quick News Setting?
    Sorry to be completely dense, but I can't find a Quick News Setting.

I looked in my profile and don't see it.
    http://gricketts.smugmug.com
    www.gricketts.com
    "The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Gary, I think that Andy was referring to the SmugMug news section that pops up on your homepage and on the news page of your control panel. We have not added anything about custom domains yet so it may not appear if you hid it the last time we made an announcement. As soon as we make another announcement it will reappear.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    gricketts wrote:
    Sorry to be completely dense, but I can't find a Quick News Setting.

I looked in my profile and don't see it.
    Control Panel, settings tab, mail.

20080814-pfd9hsaugqgjc7kgnn67dti3pj.jpg

Even if you select "no" for some reason here, we'll put a notice on your homepage, soon thumb.gif
  • Options
    grickettsgricketts Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Got it.

Thanks
    http://gricketts.smugmug.com
    www.gricketts.com
    "The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    bruyn32bruyn32 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2008
    I tried messing around with this before and never got it to work, so I have just been redirecting. Can you help me out? It's Powweb and here's what I see:

<table width="100%" bgcolor="#000000" bordercolor="black" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="displaytable" valign="center" align="center">Start of Authority (SOA)</td> <td class="displaytable" colspan="2" valign="top"> <table class="displaytable"> <tbody><tr> <td>Serial</td> <td>2007061101</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Refresh</td> <td>10800 (3 hours)</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Retry</td> <td>3600 (1 hour)</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Expire</td> <td>604800 (1 week) </td> </tr> <tr> <td>TTL (time to live)</td> <td>86400 (1 day)</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="displaytable" valign="center" align="center"> Name Server (NS)
    If you did not register this domain on PowWeb, please contact your registrar and set the Name Servers to the records indicated here. </td> <td class="displaytable" colspan="2">ns1.powweb.com
    ns2.powweb.com </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="displaytable" valign="center" align="center">Address (A)</td> <td class="displaytable" colspan="2"> <table class="displaytable"> <tbody><tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_1" value="imap" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias1IP" value="65.254.250.101" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_2" value="pop" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias2IP" value="65.254.250.101" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_3" value="mx" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias3IP" value="65.254.254.52" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_4" value="mx" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias4IP" value="65.254.254.51" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_5" value="mx" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias5IP" value="65.254.254.50" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_6" value="ftp" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias6IP" value="65.254.250.101" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_7" value="smtp" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias7IP" value="65.254.250.101" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_8" value="mail" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias8IP" value="65.254.250.101" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_9" value="webmail" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias9IP" value="65.254.250.40" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias_10" value="email" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>IP: <input name="Alias10IP" value="65.254.250.40" class="formfield" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: *</td> <td>IP: <input name="WildcardIP" class="formfield" value="65.254.250.101" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Hostname: www</td> <td>IP: <input name="PrimaryIP" class="formfield" value="65.254.250.101" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> <input name="counter" size="1" type="hidden">
    add more </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="displaytable" valign="center" align="center">Mail Exchanger (MX)</td> <td class="displaytable" colspan="2"> <table class="displaytable"> <tbody><tr> <td>Priority: <input name="MXNumber_1" value="30" class="formfield" size="3" type="text"> </td> <td>Mailserver: <input name="MXIP_1" value="mx.bmbphotography.net." class="formfield" size="30" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Priority: <input name="MXNumber_2" value="" class="formfield" size="3" type="text"> </td> <td>Mailserver: <input name="MXIP_2" value="" class="formfield" size="30" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Priority: <input name="MXNumber_3" value="" class="formfield" size="3" type="text"> </td> <td>Mailserver: <input name="MXIP_3" value="" class="formfield" size="30" type="text"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="displaytable" valign="center" align="center">Canonical Name (CNAME)</td> <td class="displaytable" colspan="2"> <table class="displaytable"> <tbody><tr> <td>Alias: <input name="Alias_11" value="www" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias11IP" value="www.smugmug.com." class="formfield" size="30" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Alias: <input name="Alias_12" value="ARRAY(0x89625bc)" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias12IP" value="ARRAY(0xb23c280)" class="formfield" size="30" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Alias: <input name="Alias_13" value="http" class="formfield" size="10" type="text"> </td> <td>Hostname: <input name="Alias13IP" value="www.smugmug.com." class="formfield" size="30" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> <input name="counter2" type="hidden">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    I see a couple things that might be causing you problems. You should not have an A record and A CNAME with the hostname of www that can cause conflicts and it probably why you had trouble.

I have marked where the IP address and domains.smugmug.com would go. You can decide which one you want to use.

One thing that is missing is the @, or Null A record. That is what enables you to have yourcustomdomain.com without the www in front. You will probably need to ask your domain support how to get that set up. You might try hitting the add more and see if it will allow you to add the @ or A record with an empty hostname field.

352749727_rHFiA-L.jpg
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bruyn32bruyn32 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2008
    Thanks! I was able to add the @ field so I put the IP address there and in the other two AName fields you indicated. I deleted the smugmug CNAME references. Hopefully that will work.
  • Options
    juan14888juan14888 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    I personally use GoDaddy for everything. FD, Charity, and Personal sites. thumb.gif

Hello All,
    Once the changes are made, with the host Domain, and the new domain name placed in the control panel, is there a change needed with the nicknames?

Juan
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Nope, your nickname is actually irrelevant to this. You can change your nickname as many times as you want and if your domain is set up correctly the custom domain will point at your site. Thats the beauty of how this works.

BUT!!!!! Changing your nickname gives you a new younickname.smugmug.com URL If you have given that out to anyone, those links will break.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Was this sent to pro account holders by email or notification? I sure didn't see it and if my site would have stopped working I'd be very upset.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Was this sent to pro account holders by email or notification? I sure didn't see it and if my site would have stopped working I'd be very upset.

I only cam across it by cahnce so I don't think there wa s anotification - good ldea to catch those that haven't seen this threadmwink.gifthumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Folks - we have NOT sent around notification yet and we won't let sites stop working thumb.gif
  • Options
    S-ManS-Man Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    How do I set a temporary password in godaddy so you can access my site, Doc?
    I can't find anything on godaddy for that...
    For some reason, my website "www.slickpix.net" is not working. But when I put int "slickpix.smugmug.com" it works. I didn't change anything in the last month or so, and it was working last night, but today, it's not working. Help fast please!
    Sam
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Major unbelievable nightmare here, my redirect is broken, apparently since 8/20. This was done to mine with no notice, no control panel news, nothing, I did not know to have to read dgrin to know about this. I am on the phone with my domain host, it is a SUNDAY of course. I used CNAME originally as suggested in the help, back in 2004. I don't speak this language and am deeply disappointed at this situation.

My domain host set up two new names for testing this, ralph.lynnesite.com and new.lynnesite.com, the first CNAME to the address in the first message on this thread. It redirects to the broken url photo.lynnesite.com. The second one isto the ANAME (I still don't understand this stuff) and also redirects to the broken URL. He thinks once one of these is working right that the photo.lynnesite.com can be made to work.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    I very sorry that this has happened. Please let me say that what you are experiencing is not related to the original post directly. We have not sent notice on that yet as we are waiting on a couple things to happen first. If you have made the changes or had me do it, you are ahead of the game.

Now for your issue and for anyone else that is having the same problem. For this, I am deeply sorry. The problem is that you have your domains pointed at yournickname.smugmug.com This was never an intended path for you to set the CNAME or redirects. As far as I can remember we have always told customers to use www.smugmug.com Some of you were able to make yournickname.smugmug.com work for you in the past. This was never a supported configuration so we did not know it would effect you.

Unfortunately some of our recent improvments made the yournickname.smugmug.com not work. Now, you must use domains.smugmug.com. (www.smugmug.com still works but will be going away when we make the 30 day announcement coming soon, so go ahead and use the new one.)

The good news is that I am here to help. You can use the same instructions found in the first post to edit your domain CNAME and A records, or contact me on the help desk with your domain login information. I will go in and make the changes for you.

Please hang in there, we will get the domain working again. Again, I am sorry for the timing.
    SmugMug Support Hero