Options

Power and Pro users with Custom Domains take note!! - Changes needed

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 15, 2008
    Folks, please help keep this thread on Topic. If your problem is not related to making changes to your domain pointing using CNAMEs and A record, please start a new thread in the support forum. I need this thread to stay about making these changes. deal.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kaymagkaymag Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    Changed the A record....
    Thanks Doc.... I have now changed the A record. I'm still having some serious lag times that seem to only be related to smugmug. But of course, like I said before... I have also been having some issues with my new router so I'm just not sure. It appears that I have fixed everything with my router, but for some reason, smugmug in general, continues to run very slow.... hmmm.. with everything else running good now (other sites)

Thanks again Doc!
    Steve
  • Options
    Every site you visit uses a different pipe. All of the others may work, but a few may be clogged. Please run the tests I posted above. They really do help figure out where the problem is at.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    kaymagkaymag Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Thanks Doc... I ran the speed test. It came back showing download of 2106 kb/s and upload of 308 kb/s.

I just finished the traceroute.....

Thanks again for your help with the domain name change!!
    docwalker wrote:
    Every site you visit uses a different pipe. All of the others may work, but a few may be clogged. Please run the tests I posted above. They really do help figure out where the problem is at.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2008
    2106 and 308 is on the slow end but still better than nothing. Lets see what the traceroute indicates as that can help spot issues.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    harpel1harpel1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Hmm
    Your support with all of my issues in the past have been excellent. But I read this thread with some intrest, I have had problems with my domain for weeks now but thought it was the fact that I had to renew it with the provider a few weeks ago. I have spent some time looking at it and only today when asking another question about the Maps options was it brought to my attention the reason it was not working.

Dont get me wrong I like smugmug and it has always worked for me, but then I am not a Pro and do not want my page to be 24/7.

I think Sumgmug has dropped the ball on this one and that does not happen very often.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    harpel1 wrote:
    Your support with all of my issues in the past have been excellent. But I read this thread with some intrest, I have had problems with my domain for weeks now but thought it was the fact that I had to renew it with the provider a few weeks ago. I have spent some time looking at it and only today when asking another question about the Maps options was it brought to my attention the reason it was not working.

Dont get me wrong I like smugmug and it has always worked for me, but then I am not a Pro and do not want my page to be 24/7.

I think Sumgmug has dropped the ball on this one and that does not happen very often.headscratch.gif
    Hi harpel - I'm so sorry! Did you ask us about your domain working or not? We have been fielding questions in minutes abou this when asked. Feel free to write me attn: Andy at our help desk and I'll investigate.
    Some domains that were setup to nickname.smugmug.com worked in an undocumented fashion - then when we set up our Akamai turbo charging, those domains that weren't set up according to our instructions (to www.smugmug.com - the way it's always been recommended) had an issue - but it's a simple fix to change the cname to domains.smugmug.com and we can help you do it if you need it. Just holler.

Thanks!
  • Options
    harpel1harpel1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    Hi Andy,

It is working now as the fix is easy because guys have made it so easy for us to follow, also you support it the best I have found in this day and age. I am just trying to say that if I would have known I would have been able to fix this in 2 mins.

I think the blame if 50/50 as I set it up wrong in the first place. But hay I work in IT I know these things happen and we just need to move on.

Keep up the good work and I am a happy customer...even more now I have fixed my issue.

cheers
    Lee
  • Options
    saronannsaronann Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 19, 2008
    This has been asked before
    docwalker wrote:

The www CNAME is pointed correct. But, the kaymagphotography.com is not correct as it is pointed like this:

kaymagphotography.com. 14400 IN A 216.21.239.197

When I visit the domain, the CNAME works exactly as it should. The A record brings up your kaymagphotography.smugmug.com so that indicates it is set wrong. You need to edit that A record and point it at 208.79.45.23

.....But this does need to be fixed.

Hi - this is the same "problem" I mentioned just a few posts earlier in this thread. I will be using my domain for email and for subdomains, so I don't think(?) that I should change the CNAME IP number, only set in Smugmugs IP number for forwarding the main (www) domain (saronann.com)

It appears that Smugmug Domains by GoDaddy are set up that way by GoDaddy in order to function correctly. It will, however, give an error message if one checks the log. But works, so could we get more details, Doc? (E-mail to SmugMug Domains does not work - they only send quotes from pdfs already available on their website)

regards
    saronann
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Hi harpel
    Some domains that were setup to nickname.smugmug.com worked in an undocumented fashion - then when we set up our Akamai turbo charging, those domains that weren't set up according to our instructions (to www.smugmug.com - the way it's always been recommended) had an issue - but it's a simple fix to change the cname to domains.smugmug.com and we can help you do it if you need it. Just holler.

Thanks!

I am replying to this post because I feel the same way. I have a brand new domain (saronann.com) at Smugmug Domains by GoDaddy. I posted in this thread and Doc answered the post and asked me to send my acount info. I did this, but received no reply, so I sent a followup email to support and eventually got two emails from me, one of which was my answer to Docs request and all the info including password. Support replied that they would make sure Doc saw the e-mail. After that, nothing, 0.

I had to leave on assignment for a few days and being uncomfortable with all my account info loose in the system, I changed my password so the password I sent to Doc no longer functions. I love Smugmug and the flexibility of Pro accounts and the Smugmug vault. I don't think I should be having problems, but this does make me wonder whether I want to put more time into setting up my new SmugMug site. Hopefully this is just a hiccup that doesn't happen often.

regards
    saronann kaasa
  • Options
    Email uses MX records. Domain pointing uses CNAME and A records. They are separate for a reason. It allows you to have your email go to one server, and your web pages to go to another, including subdomains pointed at multiple others.

The basic setup through smugmugdomains.com does set the CNAME and A record up automatically. The email setup is left for you in casse you want to use your own email provider. I use Gmail so I do not use the GoDaddy email setup.

Your domain is set up exactly as it should be for www.saronann.com and saronann.com to point at your SmugMug site.

Now, to point to the other sites you want using a subdomain, you just need to find out what CNAME or A records you should be using. I cannot really guide you with that as I have no idea where the pages are going to be hosted, or what server information to use. GoDaddy should be able to help with that. Just make sure they do not reset the CNAME and A records pointed at your SmugMug site. If they do I will help reset them.

Rich put together a great page for help setting up the email address if you need that: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/GoDaddy+Email+Setup
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    saronann wrote:
    I am replying to this post because I feel the same way. I have a brand new domain (saronann.com) at Smugmug Domains by GoDaddy. I posted in this thread and Doc answered the post and asked me to send my acount info. I did this, but received no reply, so I sent a followup email to support and eventually got two emails from me, one of which was my answer to Docs request and all the info including password. Support replied that they would make sure Doc saw the e-mail. After that, nothing, 0.

I had to leave on assignment for a few days and being uncomfortable with all my account info loose in the system, I changed my password so the password I sent to Doc no longer functions. I love Smugmug and the flexibility of Pro accounts and the Smugmug vault. I don't think I should be having problems, but this does make me wonder whether I want to put more time into setting up my new SmugMug site. Hopefully this is just a hiccup that doesn't happen often.

regards
    saronann kaasa

Sharon,

I am sorry that you did not get a response. I checked our logs and I see where we did respond to you multiple times. The post that you are replying to has nothing to to do with your problems. Some users that had accounts set up incorrectly in a manner that we never supported and never should have worked. Your domain is new with SmugMug domains and should be setup correctly. I just checked a few minutes ago and it is spot on the way it should be.

Your most recent request is for help setting up the email and adding Non-SmugMug pages to your domain. I have provided you instructions above on setting up the email. I cannot really help with the Non-SmugMug pages. You really should contact GoDaddy about setting those up.

As for your password and login information. That is why I always suggest people reset the password before sending it to us, and always after I am done. That way the information we have is no longer valid.

If there is anything I can help with your domain pointing at SmugMug, please let me know. I will be happy to help. Do contact GoDaddy about the other pages. They are really good to work with. But you need to make it clear that the pages you want are being hosted on their servers using a subdomain.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Thanks for the rapid reply :-)
    Okay, Doc and thanks.

I don't know what happened to the e-mail I sent, but my email that support replied to had the original e-mail pasted in and I stated that in my e-mail, so you should have received it. I still feel concerned over that, but not terribly. I probably won't bother contacting Smugmug support directly anymore.

As for GoDaddy, mail and subdomains, I wasn't asking you to do those, I just wanted to know if I could forward another domain to a sub-domain, because GoDaddy stated that was available for a Deluxe site. So I am saying that GoDaddy support was very frustrating, but they did answer my question (somewhat) after asking them 3 or 4 times. The answer was unsatisfactory since they said I could not forward a domain to a subdomain. They should not advertize this if they don't offer it, so I don't understand GoDaddy support's answer. The result is that I just won't transfer any of my other domains to GoDaddy and will reduce the site I ordered to a Standard site on renewal and save money (or just transfer the domain somewhere else).

Again, thanks for the fast reply. I do appreciate that. Everything appears to be in order on my end w.r.t SmugMug.

all the best
    Saronann Kaasa

p.s. Thanks for the wiki link - good one. However, my e-mail is already set up and working fine. I may need to redo it if I change to a Standard Hosting account.
  • Options
    saronann wrote:
    I probably won't bother contacting Smugmug support directly anymore.

Ouch... please don't give up on us. We answer every email that comes in. Sometimes when reply the email gets caught in the customers spam filter. You might want to check your spam folder if you have one to see if they are in there.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    docwalker wrote:
    Ouch... please don't give up on us. We answer every email that comes in. Sometimes when reply the email gets caught in the customers spam filter. You might want to check your spam folder if you have one to see if they are in there.

The SmugMug domain is one of my approved venders (mail from anyone at SmugMug is reaching me. Your reply should never go in the spam filter - your original email came in with no problem, so I really don't believe the problem about not receiving your e-mail is on my side. In any case, the answer to my reply to your first e-mail has never appeared any of my e-mail accounts. Everything else sent to me from SmugMug seems to be reaching me, so it is strange I didn't receive the reply.

But if you saved your reply, why not resend it? I know you must receive and relply to many e-mails, and may not keep all of your replies.

But as I mentioned earlier, there is no need to spent more time on it. The problem was solved almost a week ago. Not to my entirely to my satisfaction - but resolved.

Thank you.
    Saronann Kaasa
  • Options
    Sharon,

I have sent you an email with all of the emails we have sent to you recently. As I said in the email. I really do apologize. We answer every email that comes in and sometimes weird things do happen.

I am just glad that the domain is working correctly. That is my main goal.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Hi DOC, I just Stumbled onto this thread looking for something else and I'm wondering if this pertains to me as a PRO user. I never got any notification that anything should be changed with my account and I have tested my site trying to go to it using straight billpador.com www.billpador.com & www.billpador.smugmug.com and everything seems to be working fine. Does that mean I had originally set up my account the PROPER way from the begining back in 2007 and don't need to change anything now? How would I know if I needed to change something, this is real confusing for me as I'm not to knowledgeable with this internet code stuff?

Thanks for your time
    Bill Pador
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    Bill,

I am sorry for the confusion. This thread has gotten mixed up a bit by 2 seperate but similar issues. Your domain will be effected when we make the coming change s you do need to make some changes. Your domain is still pointed at www.smugmug.com and needs to be domains.smugmug.com

You do not have an A record that I can see so you might want to add that so that billpador.com works without the www. Just follow the steps in the first post of the thread and you will be all set.

If you need help, give me a shout on the help desk.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mochabeanmochabean Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Question on custom domain names/cname
    I just read the thread about changes needed for custom names for pro users. (And by the way, I didn't get a notice on this!) It says to make the change before 09-whatever date. Should I make this change now?

Mine reads wendyclairephotography points to 63.81.134.23. This is different than the one given in the thread. Should I make the changes now on Register.com?
    Wendy
    wendyclaire.smugmug.com

"Of all the senses, sight must be the most delightful." Helen Keller
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    mochabean wrote:
    I just read the thread about changes needed for custom names for pro users. (And by the way, I didn't get a notice on this!) It says to make the change before 09-whatever date. Should I make this change now?

Mine reads wendyclairephotography points to 63.81.134.23. This is different than the one given in the thread. Should I make the changes now on Register.com?
    Wendy
    We haven't emailed any notice yet because we're adjusting the dates :)

I'll ask Doc to edit the post.

Yes, make the changes now, that's fiine. Holler here with questions.
  • Options
    laslolaslo Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Need specific instructions for Joker
    Please provide specific instructions for Joker. I do not want to mess up something that is working well now. Screen shots would help. Exactly what do I need to do and when?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2008
    Here are the instructions for the initial setup at Joker: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Joker+CNAME+Setup

The changes require simply editing the existing setup.

SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Here are the instructions for the initial setup at Joker: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Joker+CNAME+Setup

The changes require simply editing the existing setup.

OK. I took care of the Joker part. Not clear about the last screen shot in your instructions (step 10). My SmugMug screen is a little different. Where do I change the custom host name? Is it in the Control Panel, Settings, Domain (change)? If my domain is already in there do I need to do anything else?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2008
    No need to do step 10 as that is already done. Those instructions are for the initial setup. You should be good to go.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2008
    Thanks Doc - It was easier than I thought.
    docwalker wrote:
    No need to do step 10 as that is already done. Those instructions are for the initial setup. You should be good to go.

--Doc

It was easier than I thought.
  • Options
    rickstrickst Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    So, the business cards I ordered today with my Smugmug link on it are trash, right?

Really irritating
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Rick, do not throw the cards away. We never said that your domain would not work. It is simply the way it is pointing needs to change. The site visitor will not see a difference in the way they access your site.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Rick, do not throw the cards away. We never said that your domain would not work. It is simply the way it is pointing needs to change. The site visitor will not see a difference in the way they access your site.

--Doc

That's good news but...

I am not very computer savy and I have no freaking idea what the hell I need to change....I've read the instructions, but I have no idea how to do this through my provider (Qwest)...
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Rick,

That is what I am here for. I am the domain specialist for SmugMug. We know that not everyone understands this stuff and it is my job to help or do it for you.

I saw your post in the SmugMug down thread that listed rickst.smugmug.com as your site. Are you using a custom domain with your site? I cannot check right now due to the site being in read only. If you do not have a custom domain, you have nothing to worry about concerning this post. If so, please tell me what custom domain name you are using and I will check it first. If it needs to be changed, I will help you make the changes.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Rick,

That is what I am here for. I am the domain specialist for SmugMug. We know that not everyone understands this stuff and it is my job to help or do it for you.

I saw your post in the SmugMug down thread that listed rickst.smugmug.com as your site. Are you using a custom domain with your site? I cannot check right now due to the site being in read only. If you do not have a custom domain, you have nothing to worry about concerning this post. If so, please tell me what custom domain name you are using and I will check it first. If it needs to be changed, I will help you make the changes.

--Doc

I don't know what you mean by a "custom domain"