Options

Vincent Laforet's Weekend with the 5D MKII

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited October 13, 2008 in Cameras
And in his words --- "5D MKII will possibly change the path of my career as well as the photography industry to some degree"

Vincent Laforet was one of the New York Times photogs, and most recently, shot the Olympics for newsweek as part of their photo dream team. He's a member of the Canon Explorer of Light and was in the canon offices as the first 5D MKII arrived in the US.

I chatted with a canon pro today and he mentioned about a video that he saw from Vincent. "Incredible" was the word used...

And his blog entry came across my feed when I got home.

Vincent Laforet's Weekend with the new 5D

From looking at the comments, Vincent Laforet is answer questions in the comment section.

I can't wait to see the video.

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    That's the final straw. It is the upgrade that I want to upgrade to! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    There are probably people who still think video is a gimmick, but this camera is a guaranteed sale for professional photojournalists who are already using HD video cameras to capture frames for print.

Second, this is the flip side of Red announcing a still SLR. Red, the camera that Hollywood directors use to shoot video in hi-res raw format for theaters. Digital is making image frame capture so routine that there will eventually be no point in maintaining a wall between your 10fps dSLR and your 30fps HD video camera. Both sides are saying let's bridge that gap already.

I was thinkin' about getting an HD video camera but maybe I'll just wait until I upgrade my Canon SLR. Because I already know how much I use my old miniDV camcorder: Not really all that much. Since the 5D MKII is optimized for stills and video is an occasional secondary use, it could be perfect for me.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    And in his words --- "5D MKII will possibly change the path of my career as well as the photography industry to some degree"

Go search the other forums rolleyes1.gif and see how many instances of '5d is NOT a pro's camera' show up naughty.gif
  • Options
    It's really nice to see the 5D II used by a true professional. Whoa.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Andy, thanks for offering to host VL's video. Dyin' to see it.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    I think savvy wedding photographers will be putting videographers out of business. The creativity this opens up is amazing.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    Laforet's blog got me to thinking about how the video capture might be useful even if the target is a still frame. A couple of questions came to mind:

What are the pixel dimensions of an image extracted from the video?

What happens to focus during a zoom? I'm guessing it all goes to hell, but in truth I have no idea of how this might work.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    Lots of praise from Vincent all right. Not sure I'm sold yet though :D
    Richard wrote:
    Laforet's blog got me to thinking about how the video capture might be useful even if the target is a still frame. A couple of questions came to mind:

What are the pixel dimensions of an image extracted from the video?

What happens to focus during a zoom? I'm guessing it all goes to hell, but in truth I have no idea of how this might work.

1920x1080 for full HD.

Focus, nothing AI servo can't fix. Focal length during focusing is completely 'nuther thing though, lenses for video (should) try to avoid something called focus breathing, lenses for EF and other still formats just let it happen.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Pindy wrote:
    Andy, thanks for offering to host VL's video. Dyin' to see it.
    We're working on things right now, Vincent and I have been emailing back and forth since the wee hours. Stay tuned.

Oh, and the film?

:jawdrop
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    We're working on things right now, Vincent and I have been emailing back and forth since the wee hours. Stay tuned.

Oh, and the film?

Exciting! Looking forward to seeing it :)
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    Hopefully I am not being overly manipulated by the hype, but I think this article confirms my decision to upgrade my 30D to the 5D MKII instead of the 50D...even though I'll have to sell my two EF-S lenses and reinvest in another (costly) FF ultrawide lens.

I am predominantly a travel photographer, so the ability to easily add HD video into my arsenal without the added weight of a dedicated camcorder and all of its accessories is very enticing. Of course, SmugMug's ability to now handle video means I don't need to alter my method of presentation/sharing either. Cool bonus....although I'll need to upgrade my standard account to power or pro (which I'm sure smugmug is happy to hear).
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Oh, and the film?

REALLY wanna see that video!!! Let us all know the moment it goes up and public, okay?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    chrisdg wrote:
    Hopefully I am not being overly manipulated by the hype, but I think this article confirms my decision to upgrade my 30D to the 5D MKII instead of the 50D...even though I'll have to sell my two EF-S lenses and reinvest in another (costly) FF ultrawide lens.

I am predominantly a travel photographer, so the ability to easily add HD video into my arsenal without the added weight of a dedicated camcorder and all of its accessories is very enticing. Of course, SmugMug's ability to now handle video means I don't need to alter my method of presentation/sharing either. Cool bonus....although I'll need to upgrade my standard account to power or pro (which I'm sure smugmug is happy to hear).
    Ironically, the 50D is better than the 5D mk2 in every way OTHER than the sensor- the 5D mk2 only has one cross-type AF point even!

For those who need 21 megapixels AND clean ISO 6400 AND HD video, the 5D mk2 is a holy grail. Even as a Nikon shooter I was extremely excited to see what the 5D mk2 might bring, before deciding which full-frame system to adopt in the coming years. But i have to say the D700 + D300 make tons more sense to me, as a peak-action photojournalist and misc. action shooter. I really do use spot metering linked to each focus point, I really do use THAT many focus points, and the frame rate / shutter lag, well I won't even go there, except to say that the 5D mk2 is about as slow as the XSi. But that's enough rain on the parade, I'll shut up now!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    REALLY wanna see that video!!! Let us all know the moment it goes up and public, okay?

=Matt=
    Sure I'll post here but you might wanna RSS That blog post, AND the comments naughty.gif

You don't wanna miss what's gonna go down, trust me :D
  • Options
    So you seen it already, Andy?

And I am going to guess that you are going to buy the 5D MK II.:D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    So you seen it already, Andy?
    I might have seen it. naughty.gif

You'll DEFINITELY want to stay tuned to Vincent's blog, and the comments. (RSS for both!).

And I am going to guess that you are going to buy the 5D MK II.:D
    Yes, I have it on pre-order with Tallyn's already.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,823 moderator
    Whoa baby. thumb.gifclap.gifthumbclap.gifbarb

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/20/something-very-interesting-is-comingboth-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/#comment-1152

Vincent, you’ve wrecked my sleep too. :-) All I can think about is what a game changer this is and how I can’t stand the wait for mine.

So here’s a blog comment you don’t see every day: you’ve done such an amazing job in so short a time with so little budget, we’d love to see what you could do with more.

I work at SmugMug and we’re crazy about video and photography, so we’ll donate at least $25K towards your next film, maybe $50K. And we’ll provide awesome, fast hosting.

It’d be great if other companies/people stepped up to match us so you could do something stunning.

Who knows if it makes marketing sense, but I do know how exciting it’ll be.

Maybe this gets me an early one from Canon?!! :-) At least it gets a bunch of us drooling on our keyboards as we live vicariously through you.

Chris MacAskill
    Comment by Chris MacAskill 09.21.08 @ 8:55 pm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,823 moderator
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Whoa baby. thumb.gifclap.gifthumbclap.gifbarb

Well both Andy's pre-purchase and Baldy's announcement. thumb.gifclap.gifthumbclap.gifbarb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Sweet, Andy!! Vincent preordered 4!!! eek7.gif

Oh reading the comments was pretty overwhelming!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    So Tallyn's and Adorama, where else can you pre-order the beauties?

And that is seriously amazing that you guys are not only going to try and host this but also donate 25k to a future video, WOW. I am constantly reminded every day why I love smugmug.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    thebigsky wrote:
    Does the 1ds MKIII make sense anymore, I'm aware of the differences, but can the price differential be justified?

Charlie
    The 5D is much slower - buffer and focus. See above a few posts, someone pointed out that even the XSi is faster. Canon are not dummies, they wouldn't make the 5D even come close to the speed on the 1D for sports and action.

Can't wait to see that video ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The 5D is much slower - buffer and focus. See above a few posts, someone pointed out that even the XSi is faster. Canon are not dummies, they wouldn't make the 5D even come close to the speed on the 1D for sports and action.

I just wonder about the difference in prices, I don't know about other countries but in the UK the projected prices suggest you can buy two 5d MKII's for one 1ds MK III

Or a 1D MK III and a 5d MK II

DoctorIt wrote:
    Can't wait to see that video ear.gif

Me either, is it sad to be this excited?

Charlie
  • Options
    thebigsky wrote:
    I just wonder about the difference in prices, I don't know about other countries but in the UK the projected prices suggest you can buy two 5d MKII's for one 1ds MK III

Or a 1D MK III and a 5d MK II

Me either, is it sad to be this excited?

Charlie
    lol3.gif nope not sad at all. As one of the very few people who've seen this amazing video, I can say that if your jaw doesn't drop, someone should call 911, because you probably don't have a pulse :D

Stay tuned......
  • Options
    Oh Snap!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, I have it on pre-order with Tallyn's already.

After a bunch of debating, emailing back and forth with the friendly folks at Tallyn's... (and finding out that the list is only under 15 people as of this morning, which I assume includes Andy)....

I pre-ordered one o.O iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Shima wrote:
    After a bunch of debating, emailing back and forth with the friendly folks at Tallyn's... (and finding out that the list is only under 15 people as of this morning, which I assume includes Andy)....

It's me, and 15 other Dgrinners :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    It's me, and 15 other Dgrinners :D

Would be nice if they offered Dgrinners free upgraded shipping, wouldn't it? :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wow i hope i was camera vendor lots of business.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Shima wrote:

Oh right now inquiring tallyns!!!

About financing!! >.>

So mark it down as 15 1/2 as preordering it!!

I only have one ef-s lens.. to sell it or not. It's my ultra wide angle.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com