Options

Vincent Laforet's Weekend with the 5D MKII

Comments

• Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's me, and 15 other Dgrinners :D

You can include me in that count...I ordered one from them this morning per Andy's recommendation.

My only reservation about this camera (aside from having to ditch my EFS lenses) is the relatively low frames-per-second.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    chrisdg wrote:
    You can include me in that count...I ordered one from them this morning per Andy's recommendation.

My only reservation about this camera (aside from having to ditch my EFS lenses) is the relatively low frames-per-second.

True. One camera cannot be all things to all people, though I think Nikon leads in this area, keeping more pro features on it's lower-end models, potentially cannibalising it's pro lineup. Having said that, the 5D was never intended to be a sports camera, and I share your frustration.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Cannot wait to see the video
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    Would be nice if they offered Dgrinners free upgraded shipping, wouldn't it? :D

Tallyn's said that it is actually free shipping on the 5d Mark II, they have to manually remove it from the invoice :)

In other news, the 12 second teaser on smugmug's site for this video isn't loading :(

In response to the low FPS comment made earlier, I'm only selling my 30D when the 5D Mark II arrives, I'm totally keeping my 40D for sports and the EF-S lens usage! :) I'm a two body girl, one I tried two, I was hooked.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The 5D is much slower - buffer and focus. See above a few posts, someone pointed out that even the XSi is faster. Canon are not dummies, they wouldn't make the 5D even come close to the speed on the 1D for sports and action.

Can't wait to see that video ear.gif
    Ah crap, that must mean they're complete dummies over at Nikon! They must not have got the memo about "be stingy your flagship series features!" ...cause we have the D700 and the D300!

:-P

(Still excited to see the video, though...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Shima wrote:
    In other news, the 12 second teaser on smugmug's site for this video isn't loading :(

What flash are you at? Posti in SmugMug Support and we'll help
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Shima wrote:
    In response to the low FPS comment made earlier, I'm only selling my 30D when the 5D Mark II arrives, I'm totally keeping my 40D for sports and the EF-S lens usage! :) I'm a two body girl, one I tried two, I was hooked.
    Way to go! The 40D/50D + 5D mk2 is going to be THE (Canon) setup to own for covering any kind of event. Glad to see that some Canon shooters have an open mind about the usefulness of APS-C!

=Matt=
  • Options
    Shima wrote:
    Tallyn's said that it is actually free shipping on the 5d Mark II, they have to manually remove it from the invoice :)

I know. I was suggesting an upgrade to the free ground. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Way to go! The 40D/50D + 5D mk2 is going to be THE (Canon) setup to own for covering any kind of event. Glad to see that some Canon shooters have an open mind about the usefulness of APS-C!

=Matt=

That's why I am keeping my 30D when I get mine!

I HATE TEASERS!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The 5D is much slower - buffer and focus.

I understand the lower FPS on the 5DmkII vs the 50D, but why is the auto-focus "much slower"? Is it related to the 9-cross type on the 50D versus only 1-out-of-9 being cross type on the 5DmkII?

And can we really be sure of that focusing will be noticeably slower until we get them in our hands? Regarding the current products, for those who have used both, does the 30D/40D focus noticably faster than the 5D?
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    Ya know, SmugMug talks about following their passions....and they put their money where their mouth is!

clap.gif

EDIT for clarity: SMUG MUG COMMITS TO SPONSOR NEXT FILM is the title of the page I linked. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Ahhh another happy Smugmug user.. if not, to be!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    chrisdg wrote:
    I understand the lower FPS on the 5DmkII vs the 50D, but why is the auto-focus "much slower"? Is it related to the 9-cross type on the 50D versus only 1-out-of-9 being cross type on the 5DmkII?

And can we really be sure of that focusing will be noticeably slower until we get them in our hands? Regarding the current products, for those who have used both, does the 30D/40D focus noticably faster than the 5D?

1.) Correct.

2.) Nope, we can't say anything difinitively until we have an official review from a competent photographer.

3.) Yes, the 40D / 50D are nice and snappy at all 9 AF points, even in low light, while the 5D is basically a one-point game. You use the center point, then re-compose. In all but the most texture-rich, well-lit situations, I mean.

Read here on a professional wedding photographers blog, who recently switched to the 1Ds mk3:

http://www.thebschoolblog.com/index.cfm?postID=188

The 5D mk2 might have a slightly better center point than the 50D / 40D, given the 6 additional "assist points". But I hardly EVER use the center point. I know this is very largely a matter of personal preference, but I would simply strongly advise anyone who is used to the 40D / 50D AF system to test out a 5D / 5D mk2 before buying! The other thing they don't even mention at all, ever is that thanks to the fuller frame that you get with "full frame", ...those AF points are clumped in the very center quite restrictively. Whereas the 1.6x Canons have nice, cross-type AF points right where you want them at the 1/3 locations...

=Matt=
  • Options
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Post is password protected it seems, but the password is simply "reverie" (without the quotes).

No need to visit LaForet's excellent blog - view the actual video here: http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2086
  • Options
    Re: AF, I read somewhere that Chuck Westfall said the 5DmkII center point (with 6-points enabled) tracks better than the 40-50D in AI SERVO mode.
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    GORGEOUS!!!

(but, did Smugmug end up getting the honor of hosting? I see no indication...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    Serious YOWZA.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Holy Cats! Pretty impressive.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    That caused a stream of shocked profanities to come out. I don't think I have ever seen such sharpness and definition in a video, except maybe in a handful of BluRay movies on a 1080P tv...

Would like to see the full monty though...of course that probably could not be streamed
  • Options
    GORGEOUS!!!

(but, did Smugmug end up getting the honor of hosting? I see no indication...)

=Matt=
    Stay tuned, there's MORE ! :D
  • Options
    Stunning.

And so beautiful! From the opening to the aerial view with the reflections from the glasses.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Stay tuned, there's MORE ! :D
    Vincent said the behind the scenes footage would go live on SmugMug at the same time I thought...

Guess not. Hope to see it soon!
  • Options
    And I"m trying to figure out which frames were shot with each lens!

Such a beautiful piece of work!
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    Wow :jawdrop

This is waaaaaaaaay exceeds my expectation, time to start collecting some funds headscratch.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    That music was mesmerizing too...had to go get it...so Vincent also sold a Moby tune tonite..Laughing.gif (Extreme Ways by Moby...and now I recall it was music in the Bourne Ultimatum too)

Amazon