• Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    That looks amazing. And the SmugMug bunch is amazing, too. clap.gifclap
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    BPerron wrote:
    It is so funny, how every where you looked about 4 months ago when rumors of video on cameras were being talked about, everyone hated the idea... "big P & S cameras" everyone said and how dumb it would be...now with the release of the new 5D...everyone is in love with the idea!?

Just funny how it all works out....

Well it was also the matter of the quality of the videos coming from them. ne_nau.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    Well it was also the matter of the quality of the videos coming from them. ne_nau.gif

Yeah to a point...but the overall thought was it was going to be a horrible idea (even if you would have said full 1080P HD) and now, it seems as if it is the greatest idea ever.

I think it is very cool...almost makes me regret my Dual D700 purchase...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    Thinking about switching to the light side of the force? rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Thinking about switching to the light side of the force? rolleyes1.gif
    No not quite yet...The shooting I do...the D700 is better for me...plus Nikon will have a similar answer in the next couple of years anyways...but it does make wonder :-)
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    I was telling my kids last night that sometime in the next 5 years we may get to the point where still photography is no longer the standard that we will go by motion and still capture with a quality that everyone is satisfied with. For those that print in the consumer area, up to 8x10 is sufficient and just a small bump of resolution and FPS could make this kind of scenario ideal for the advanced consumer to make photographs of anything they can see in any arena of light.

I am often approached by parents with new cameras asking how to set up the DSLR they just bought to take better pics. Possibly, they won't have to concern themselves very much in the near future.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    I was telling my kids last night that sometime in the next 5 years we may get to the point where still photography is no longer the standard that we will go by motion and still capture with a quality that everyone is satisfied with. For those that print in the consumer area, up to 8x10 is sufficient and just a small bump of resolution and FPS could make this kind of scenario ideal for the advanced consumer to make photographs of anything they can see in any arena of light.

I am often approached by parents with new cameras asking how to set up the DSLR they just bought to take better pics. Possibly, they won't have to concern themselves very much in the near future.

- Mike

I do not think this will be the case...I still think there will be a big place for still photography. To me there is something much more dynamic about still photography, then a frame pulled out of video...

As for parents not having to worry about setting up their DSLR 'cause they will have HD Video in them I do not see happening...They would then need to learn how to use video editing software and pull frames from it...which is way more work then just downloading photos from the card...

What I do think is that the Video camera industry will see the biggest the change in all of this...with Canon offering this sort of video quality from a DSLR at less then 3k, videocameras will have this soon enough and home movies will never be the same :-)wings.gif
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    It's password protected. ne_nau.gif
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    RTP wrote:
    It's password protected. ne_nau.gif
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/don

You can see the Behind The Scenes footage http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/gallery/6021407_xEg87/1/#378608891_Jd2CT-A-LB
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Glad I got to see the good version (5-6 times) before Canon pulled it :cry
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    Yeah that was a horrible decision. It plays pretty crappy off the Canon site for me. Was mindblowing off the Smugmug site. Surely Vincent can get Canon to come back to their senses... They are using it with his permission after all...

http://gizmodo.com/5050819/canon-5d-mark-iis-full-hd-video-is-so-stunning-our-eyes-explode
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    Even though it is not in full HD on the Canon site, i'm glad they posted something after forcing SmugMug to take it down. Even in a web version it is impressive.

I was just commenting on Saturday how within a year I'm going to have to replace all my SD video cameras with HD cams (around $5k each to get comperable fixed-lens hd cams to what I have now). With the 5DII I might be able to get a killer HD video camera and still camera all in one that smokes anything available in the price range because I can still use all the lenses I already have. That is just so amazing. Not only that but a full-frame sensor where most HD "camcorders" are either 1/6" or 1/3" (2/3" for the high-end stuff).wings.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    I am just imagining what will happen when Lordv will start making videos of those incredibly magnified alienseek7.gif.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    evoryware wrote:
    Yeah that was a horrible decision. It plays pretty crappy off the Canon site for me. Was mindblowing off the Smugmug site. Surely Vincent can get Canon to come back to their senses... They are using it with his permission after all...

http://gizmodo.com/5050819/canon-5d-mark-iis-full-hd-video-is-so-stunning-our-eyes-explode
    We're floored. This video shows Canon's tech in AMAZINGLY good light. Why not put it out there in SmugMungous sizes? headscratch.gif

Go figure.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    We're floored. This video shows Canon's tech in AMAZINGLY good light. Why not put it out there in SmugMungous sizes? headscratch.gif

Go figure.

In addition, I've sent many people to the canon site (sucks), but for some, it crashes.

You need to update your quicktime to view it or it brings downs your entire browser.
  • Options
    Ahh we the lucky few who saw it HUGE!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    Ahh we the lucky few who saw it HUGE!!
    Hmm, I saved the source m4v file before it went offline. Woohoo!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    For what it is worth, this story is the top Sci/Tech story on Yahoo! Buzz....a few more Buzzes and we can make the front page. (39 Diggs so far)

Maybe we do a story on Canon pulling plug :cry
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    When is Vince joining Dgrin? ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:

That's right, baby. I've got the jacuzzi all warmed up for him! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:

Agreed—a workshop perhaps?
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Go figure.

Silly sods, how short sighted can you be?

Fortunately I saved the hi-def version and transferred it to my Apple TV, watching on a Hi Def plasma it's just extraordinary.

Charlie
  • Options
    tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    I went to one of Vincent's Canon Sponsored events when the 1d Mark III came out in Dallas and I just watched him in sheer in the way he manipulated the images he took from the past. He also showed us his showcase work at the time and it was simply amazing. I can only hope he comes to Dgrin bowdown.gif

Reading through this thread was like riding a roller coaster! Just right now Canon didn't tell us that it was a water ride and we didn't get our floaties. Now we are just gasping for air...
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• Options
    tomauto wrote:
    I can only hope he comes to Dgrin bowdown.gif

Hmmm.
  • Options
    And then watch him get buried with tons of more questions and such! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    And then watch him get buried with tons of more questions and such! :D

I am thinking more of actually meeting in person with members of Dgrin in a regional format tutorial settting much like what he does with Canon "Explorers of Light"...I have been to two of those conferences and I feel that I came out of those style meetings much better than when I came in.If he wants to answer questions on his own site, he already has the capability and following to do that.

I don't know if he has the time to answer questions on here or not (I am doubtful) but I think a man of his caliber would be more useful to the forum if we just sit him down person to person and pick his brain. (and videotape him) Then at his consent start making video tutorials for anybody here who may be visually inclined.mwink.gif
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• Options
    Andy wrote:

Go figure.

My hunch is that Canon pulled this because the other camera in the video for fill the Canon XH A1 camcorder looked like a consumer point and shoot camcorder/youtube video in comparision to the footage the 5D Mark II pulled in the same situation. Sure, the 5D mk II looks great, but what does that say about their Professional Line of HD Camcorders? After watching the video maybe Canon is second guessing themselves for financial purposes.

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    tomauto wrote:
    My hunch is that Canon pulled this because the other camera in the video for fill the Canon XH A1 camcorder looked like a consumer point and shoot camcorder/youtube video in comparision to the footage the 5D Mark II pulled in the same situation. Sure, the 5D mk II looks great, but what does that say about their Professional Line of HD Camcorders? After watching the video maybe Canon is second guessing themselves for financial purposes.

Hmmm, if that was the case, then why produce the camera at all? While I think it interesting what Vince did, I suspect there were tons of compromises made due to the form factor. Heck you often see them leaning over to look thru the view finder, something no video camera would force you to do. One would expect that the Canon Video cameras would inherit this same technology if good enough.

Frankly, this is all entertaining, but I have no interest in video at all: its way too time consuming to shoot, and requires ungodly time to edit: I have 30+ minidv tapes with video from 12 yrs of kids that are sitting unedited. I prefer still photos. I can see the 5D being a heck of a tool for wedding photogs, where they can offer both video and stills, but otherwise, I am not convinced of the utility. Its cool, dont get me wrong...but video is not why I would buy this camera.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    tomauto wrote:

If that was the reason then I think they would have forced him to pull the "behind the scenes" videos. Unless that happened and I didn't notice then the reasoning doesn't make sense.

Besides, they are due for an upgrade the the XH A1 and XL H1 very soon mwink.gif

I figure they probably just wanted exclusive rights to feature it on the site. I kinda doubt their servers are geared to handle high-volume video serving though (they should have just left it on SmugMug for sure). i could be wrong of course - it happens.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    darkdragon wrote:
    If that was the reason then I think they would have forced him to pull the "behind the scenes" videos. Unless that happened and I didn't notice then the reasoning doesn't make sense.

Besides, they are due for an upgrade the the XH A1 and XL H1 very soon mwink.gif

I figure they probably just wanted exclusive rights to feature it on the site. I kinda doubt their servers are geared to handle high-volume video serving though (they should have just left it on SmugMug for sure). i could be wrong of course - it happens.
    As Vincent said, Canon is serving it up from Akamai servers (they host the Apple HD trailers), which have the capacity to host the video without a hiccup.