Options

NEW: 5x7 Folded Cards

Comments

• Options
    cmalcmal Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I closed, reopened and tried again but it still didn't work.
    Please visit my galleries: http://cynthiamalbon.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I have a request: Can a text box be added onto the back page of the custom card? For our logos? Please?

ann
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I have a request: Can a text box be added onto the back page of the custom card? For our logos? Please?

ann
    Have you created a card? Download it and edit heck out of it then upload
    keeping exactly the same size and DPI. At least it worked great with the
    4x8. Here's one I did in PSPX for my sister last year.

225551718_v7eEV-M.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Have you created a card? Download it and edit heck out of it then upload
    keeping exactly the same size and DPI. At least it worked great with the
    4x8. Here's one I did in PSPX for my sister last year.

Thanks, Alan. I could use the method of the poster a few above, and do it all in PS. However, the ability to use a template on photos already on smugmug without any further processing is REALLY appealing. I am hopeful that the sorcerers can add a text box or image box onto the back with little work.thumb.gif

ann
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann
    We'll see, it's been asked by Markjay as well. I'm trying.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We'll see, it's been asked by Markjay as well. I'm trying.

Thanks! thumb.gif

Love the cards.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    trouble with cards
    I'm having trouble designing some of the folded cards. There are two so far that have spots for more than one photo. They look fine when I click "create" and they when it says it's done. But then I go to the "my creations" gallery and the photos in those cards are only halfway in the hole and sometimes not even the photo I selected.

What's up?

Caroline
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    I'm having trouble designing some of the folded cards. There are two so far that have spots for more than one photo. They look fine when I click "create" and they when it says it's done. But then I go to the "my creations" gallery and the photos in those cards are only halfway in the hole and sometimes not even the photo I selected.

What's up?

Caroline
    Please link us to your site so we can see the cards in your 'my SmugMug creations' gallery.
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Can I create a card with an image on the front & inside?
    I am wanting to design my cards using photoshop, without one of the Smugmug templates. I know I can create a card with my image on the front, but can I also add my own image to the inside?

Thanks
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Please link us to your site so we can see the cards in your 'my SmugMug creations' gallery.

I finally got one version to work, but not with my first choice of photos. Here's the link: http://carolinepoe.smugmug.com/gallery/5974330_LaX6p#422385834_wQK88

Caroline
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    I finally got one version to work, but not with my first choice of photos. Here's the link: http://carolinepoe.smugmug.com/gallery/5974330_LaX6p#422385834_wQK88

Caroline
    OKay... but if you want me to help you with the photos that were giving you troubles, I need to know specifically which ones, thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    Why not? Many of our templates are just like that. :D
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Why not? Many of our templates are just like that. :D

Hey Andy,

Any word on whether we can upload an image for the front as well as the inside for the custom cards? (No template that is)
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    Hey Andy,

Any word on whether we can upload an image for the front as well as the inside for the custom cards? (No template that is)
    Use the custom card :D It's already there. No image on the inside, yet, sorry.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I'm playing with the 5x7 folded custom card, and I can get an image on the Outside Front, but when I try to drag an image onto the Outside Back, I get an /COLOR][COLOR=white]x[/COLOR][COLOR=red next the cursor, and it won't drop in. The size is fine. Am I supposed to be able to put different images on the front and back?

---edit---
    Now I tried making a 5x7 image that would span both the front and back of the card. I can't get it to do that in the card-maker, though. The back is always white.
    Here's the image I'm trying to use, and have it fold down the middle. Any ideas how to make it work? Thanks~

423351350_y7HgW-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Specifically what card are you making, Nimai? And with what images?
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Specifically what card are you making, Nimai? And with what images?
    The family wants a folded card with the photo of the kids facing forward on the outside-front of the card, and facing back on the outside-back of the card. I just recently found your guide and tried making one like that, but it still seems to put the photo just on the front.
    I put the combined photos at the end of my gallery here.
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Greeting Cards
    Just got done makin some cards, they were sent to a new unlisted gallery..AWESOME..I am now able to move these into some of my client galleries to show them the goodies..Job Well Done Smugmug Team! ylsuper.gif
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Nimai wrote:
    The family wants a folded card with the photo of the kids facing forward on the outside-front of the card, and facing back on the outside-back of the card. I just recently found your guide and tried making one like that, but it still seems to put the photo just on the front.
    I put the combined photos at the end of my gallery here.

And what's wrong with this? http://nimai.smugmug.com/gallery/5870476_v2VLq#423781480_xtWKe
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    I hate to be hogging this thread with what I'm sure is me just missing something...
    How do I position that 4-up layout in the card editor? It shows up, but it doesn't fill it out. (This is hard to explain in words.) Here's how it shows up when I place it. If I resize it, the image is cropped to the outside-front:
    picture7gs6.gif
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Nimai wrote:
    I hate to be hogging this thread with what I'm sure is me just missing something...
    How do I position that 4-up layout in the card editor? It shows up, but it doesn't fill it out. (This is hard to explain in words.) Here's how it shows up when I place it. If I resize it, the image is cropped to the outside-front:

Sorry Nimai, the custom card template is not designed for that... it's setup for one picture only, on the outside front. But you can do what you want very simply in Photoshop... just build the card without the back picture, then download the original size from your "My Cards" gallery after it's is designed and fill in the remaining 1/4 of the image with the photo for the back.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Sorry Nimai, the custom card template is not designed for that... it's setup for one picture only, on the outside front. But you can do what you want very simply in Photoshop... just build the card without the back picture, then download the original size from your "My Cards" gallery after it's is designed and fill in the remaining 1/4 of the image with the photo for the back.
    OK. I assumed too much. I first thought I could use a photo on the outside-back too. Then I thought I needed to make a large composite of the front and back images for use with the card-creator.
    Now I see that the card creator is just an online too to create the composite image that gets stored in the My SmugMug Creations -> Cards gallery.
    Sorry for the confusion!
    Heck, I'll just go to town in photoshop, then! Now it all makes sense. I can see the card creator being useful when it is developed into a customer facing tool. Can't wait!
    Thank you.
  • Options
    mogulmousemogulmouse Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2008
    Change fonts?
    Andy wrote:
    We've updated our Card Maker to include gorgeous 5x7...

Love the cards.

Is it possible to change the fonts in the customizable text boxes?

-Dan
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    mogulmouse wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    We've updated our Card Maker to include gorgeous 5x7...

Love the cards.

Is it possible to change the fonts in the customizable text boxes?

-Dan
    Hi Dan, wave.gif Welcome!

No, I'm sorry it's not :(
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    I've been making cards all evening. I keep having an issue: the text "custom text here" shows up on my templates, even if I click on it. My intent is to have that as blank space. Will that print, or is this an anomaly that won't show on the printed product? I've remade the same cards to try to eliminate this but not had any success.
    Gallery:http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/3910503_bUoe9#424680289_2HLsn

ann
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I've been making cards all evening. I keep having an issue: the text "custom text here" shows up on my templates, even if I click on it. My intent is to have that as blank space. Will that print, or is this an anomaly that won't show on the printed product? I've remade the same cards to try to eliminate this but not had any success.
    Gallery:http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/3910503_bUoe9#424680289_2HLsn

ann
    Did you try adding a space in that text box?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Did you try adding a space in that text box?

Yes
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yes
    Anne, we'll fix that! Sorry :( Stay tuned.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Q: Can I make a custom card of my own design?
    A: You bet! For each side, Specs are, 2000 pixels by 2800 pixels, and here's a visual aid to help. Once you upload your custom design, you can order it as a 5x7 folded card if you are logged in.

Andy - According to the release notes, cards should be created with a template that is a *total* of 4000x2800. Should your comment in the FAQ here read as "for each side, specs are 2000 by 1400"?

Also, how much bleed should be expected with printing? Should we assume an 1/8th of an inch around the sides to be not text-safe?

Just trying to figure out the specs... I'd like to sell some holiday cards & want to have a good shot at getting them right the first time, for obvious reasons. :)
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Andy - According to the release notes, cards should be created with a template that is a *total* of 4000x2800. Should your comment in the FAQ here read as "for each side, specs are 2000 by 1400"?

Also, how much bleed should be expected with printing? Should we assume an 1/8th of an inch around the sides to be not text-safe?

Just trying to figure out the specs... I'd like to sell some holiday cards & want to have a good shot at getting them right the first time, for obvious reasons. :)
    Yes, and yes on the bleed, esp text.