Options

NEW: 5x7 Folded Cards

Comments

• Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Not sure what this means?

If you go to "Buy Photo", they are the cards at the bottom of the list. Currently I do not have them listed for sale though. I may just use the card designs that smugmug has provided rather than create my own. i was just trying to get "fancy" .
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Just got my two boxes of 5x7 cards today! The packaging is great...pre-folded and in nice black boxes. thumb.gif I printed "true" for the first time and they look fine. I wasn't expecting the super-glossy, but it looks quite nice. Thank you, Smug!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    padge206padge206 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We've updated our Card Maker to include gorgeous 5x7 folded cards clap.gif

Just in time for the holidays, a ton of great designs to choose from.

i've created 2 cards. (well, actually, my wife did) but
    now i can't see them in the "My Smugmug Creations" gallery?

http://wishboxstudios.smugmug.com/gallery/6790766_sGdFb

something i did?
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    padge206 wrote:
    i've created 2 cards. (well, actually, my wife did) but
    now i can't see them in the "My Smugmug Creations" gallery?

http://wishboxstudios.smugmug.com/gallery/6790766_sGdFb

something i did?

now they are showing up in the gallery, but not as they were built.
    and no option to buy them as a card? i was hoping to order these today! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    padge206 wrote:
    now they are showing up in the gallery, but not as they were built.
    and no option to buy them as a card? i was hoping to order these today! ne_nau.gif

What does "not as they were built" mean? They do show up looking a bit strange...the front will be upside down. Just picture it being printed on both sides of the cardstock, just as it's shown. :D

Then you need to click "Buy>This Photo" and go to Photo Cards. The 5x7 options will be there.
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    What does "not as they were built" mean? They do show up looking a bit strange...the front will be upside down. Just picture it being printed on both sides of the cardstock, just as it's shown. :D

Then you need to click "Buy>This Photo" and go to Photo Cards. The 5x7 options will be there.

if you look at the link i posted above, the pictures that were inserted aren't right.
    actually, this one specifically:
    http://wishboxstudios.smugmug.com/gallery/6790766_sGdFb#435035633_5xMpX-XL-LB

the first image is all black. 3rd + 4th are off center.

but thanks for pointing me in the right direction for purchasing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jirijiri Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I had the same issue on Friday. Andy confirmed this was a bug and recommended to try it again over weekend, I tried yesterday morning and everything was fixed (Andy is always right). :D

I got an email from SmugMug few minutes ago (Sunday) that the cards were shipped !!! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Can the cards be written on?
    I'm wanting to order some invitations (that will need to be filled out). Can the inside of the 5x7's be written on with regular ink pens?

Thanks so much,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Cindy wrote:
    I'm wanting to order some invitations (that will need to be filled out). Can the inside of the 5x7's be written on with regular ink pens?

Thanks so much,

Mine arrived today, and I feel qualified to answer now...the answer is yes, the inside is just like a standard greeting card.

ann
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Mine arrived today, and I feel qualified to answer now...the answer is yes, the inside is just like a standard greeting card.

ann

Thanks so much Ann. Are you happy with the quality?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    thayes01thayes01 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Selling Cards to Customers
    What methods do Pros use to gather all the inputs necessary to place a card order for a Customer, web form, email...?

Is there a specification for Smug Mug cards (4x8, 5x7) that indicates how many characters of text can be input for each individual card?
  • Options
    jirijiri Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I ordered mine on Saturday and they arrived on Tuesday bowdown.gif

And let me tell you, they look amazing !! These are really PRO looking cards. I'm usually picky, this time I'm just speechless.

btw I really do like the option to order one single card (although I ordered 25 for Christmas), I cannot wait for order one card every time my friend has a birthday. wings.gif

thanks a lot for really awesome job !!
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Cindy wrote:
    Thanks so much Ann. Are you happy with the quality?

Yes, mostly I am. The quality of the images, and of the product itself, is perfect.

I did completely custom cards, and on two of my designs i have 'bleed' issues i.e edge of design not meeting edge of print. I think this is a 'detail' to overcome on my end.
    Something else to be aware of (another 'detail') is that a bar code prints on the back of the card - minor detail, but important if you do total custom and put a photo or logo on the back. Need to know it is there, and pan accordingly.

ann
  • Options
    krhphotoskrhphotos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2008
    So... I looked but didn't see this question anywhere so maybe it's just me and my computer(s) but I have been trying to make these cards for 3 days, and when I hit Build Card it recycles and recycles and recycles... I left it overnight, and it was still recycling in the morning. I've started this over a few times now... Does it usually take this long or is there something up with my system(s)? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    krhphotos wrote:
    So... I looked but didn't see this question anywhere so maybe it's just me and my computer(s) but I have been trying to make these cards for 3 days, and when I hit Build Card it recycles and recycles and recycles... I left it overnight, and it was still recycling in the morning. I've started this over a few times now... Does it usually take this long or is there something up with my system(s)? headscratch.gif
    Shouldn't take that long, no.... what browser are you using and what site are you using to make your card?
  • Options
    krhphotoskrhphotos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Shouldn't take that long, no.... what browser are you using and what site are you using to make your card?

I'm using IE7,

http://krhphotos.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=400444838&Type=Album&tool=newcard&ImageKey=jLKU2

Tried again this morning, and it's still recycling...
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    I just received my order of 5x7 cards and I must say that I am very impressed! The cards are great! Even better than I had hoped.

Thanks smug people! wings.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Andy-
    These cards are a great idea and I LOVE the option to order 1, 10 or 25 (I had been using WHCC and their minimum order is 25)! This is a perfect year-end staff gift (a set of 5 cards for each doctor and nurse in our practice)clap.gif
    However, I am having problems adding a copyright on the back. I am able to add custom text on the back of the portrait-oriented 5x7 folding card but not the landscape one. Also, there is no way to add the copyright symbol that I can see. I tried making a 5x7 JPG in CS4 with just a copyright statement that would sit on the bottom of the card but it seems that a photo cannot be added to the back. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    E
  • Options
    thayes01thayes01 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Card delivery time
    Ann, assuming yours was a typical card order, what quantity and type of card (4x8, 5x7) did you order and how long did it take until they arrived? I'm trying to set expectations of delivery time for a customer asking for cards. Thanks! Ted
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yes, mostly I am. The quality of the images, and of the product itself, is perfect.

I did completely custom cards, and on two of my designs i have 'bleed' issues i.e edge of design not meeting edge of print. I think this is a 'detail' to overcome on my end.
    Something else to be aware of (another 'detail') is that a bar code prints on the back of the card - minor detail, but important if you do total custom and put a photo or logo on the back. Need to know it is there, and pan accordingly.

ann
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    thayes01 wrote:
    Ann, assuming yours was a typical card order, what quantity and type of card (4x8, 5x7) did you order and how long did it take until they arrived? I'm trying to set expectations of delivery time for a customer asking for cards. Thanks! Ted
    My personal cards I ordered Sunday, they were printed Monday and fedexed to me on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Andy-
    These cards are a great idea and I LOVE the option to order 1, 10 or 25 (I had been using WHCC and their minimum order is 25)! This is a perfect year-end staff gift (a set of 5 cards for each doctor and nurse in our practice)clap.gif
    However, I am having problems adding a copyright on the back. I am able to add custom text on the back of the portrait-oriented 5x7 folding card but not the landscape one. Also, there is no way to add the copyright symbol that I can see. I tried making a 5x7 JPG in CS4 with just a copyright statement that would sit on the bottom of the card but it seems that a photo cannot be added to the back. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    E
    We don't have it on that card, I'm sorry :(
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Thanks anyway...just wanted to see if I was missing something obvious. I'll go ahead and order them up.
    E
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    thayes01 wrote:

Well, I am in Canada, so I am atypical!

But I chose the middle international shipping choice(not mail, but not expedited) and they delivery took 2 days, tracked, and without any brokerage fees - so I was pleased!

ann
  • Options
    GrampsGramps Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I have read all 12 pages and I am still confused. First off, I think the resolution size for a 5x7 picture is nuts but whatever, I guess I don't have the whole picture.

When I read "5x7 folded Cards" I imagined a 10x7 piece of paper folded in half. (talking strictly custom cards here) But I am seeing 4 quadrants, so that is folded in half twice where the final result is 5x3.5? Or is the final a 5x7 and the original paper 10x14?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Gramps wrote:
    I have read all 12 pages and I am still confused. First off, I think the resolution size for a 5x7 picture is nuts but whatever, I guess I don't have the whole picture.

When I read "5x7 folded Cards" I imagined a 10x7 piece of paper folded in half. (talking strictly custom cards here) But I am seeing 4 quadrants, so that is folded in half twice where the final result is 5x3.5? Or is the final a 5x7 and the original paper 10x14?

Could it be 10 x 7 folded in half and then letting you print on both sides of the paper (inside and outside of the card), giving a total of four sides?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Could it be 10 x 7 folded in half and then letting you print on both sides of the paper (inside and outside of the card), giving a total of four sides?

Yep! It is definitely a 5x7 card.
    Elaine

• Options
    GrampsGramps Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I see now. My wife is a stamper and has been making cards for years. So I am familiar with the 4 quadrant double fold thing.
  • Options
    rgkidsrgkids Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Is this right?
    I would be so appreciative if someone could let me know if this:

http://www.rgkidsphotography.com/Photography/Valentine/10365166_tgYc4

is going to be a 5x7 folded greeting card if I simply order it as a 5x7 Folded Card w/ Env?

Thanks.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    rgkids wrote:
    I would be so appreciative if someone could let me know if this:

http://www.rgkidsphotography.com/Photography/Valentine/10365166_tgYc4

is going to be a 5x7 folded greeting card if I simply order it as a 5x7 Folded Card w/ Env?

Thanks.ne_nau.gif
    Yes :)
  • Options
    rgkidsrgkids Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes :)

thanks Andy. So, it's set up correctly, right? Sorry, I just want to make sure before I order.