Options

NEW: 5x7 Folded Cards

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    rgkids wrote:
    thanks Andy. So, it's set up correctly, right? Sorry, I just want to make sure before I order.
    You can double check it here:
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Make+your+own+photo+cards
  • Options
    juledurjuledur Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    How do I purchase card after saving?
    I've made several 5x7 cards from my photos, and they are all currently in "My SmugMug Creations". When I select one, I can't figure out how to purchase it as a card. I've gone to "Buy Photo" and "Create a card". Am I missing something?

I'd like to set this up so that my customers can purchase a ready-made holiday card with my photo on the front and blank inside.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    juledur wrote:
    I've made several 5x7 cards from my photos, and they are all currently in "My SmugMug Creations". When I select one, I can't figure out how to purchase it as a card. I've gone to "Buy Photo" and "Create a card". Am I missing something?

I'd like to set this up so that my customers can purchase a ready-made holiday card with my photo on the front and blank inside.

If your cards have been created, and your gallery is set to print with EZPrints then you as owner can buy them from the cart just like a regular photo - they will appear on the print tab of the shopping cart.

If you want to make them available to be bought by your customers, then set the gallery to print at EZP and set your prices for cards - bottom of the print tab.

Once created and priced, the cards will appear for sale to customers, also on the prints tab of the cart, when the gallery is set to print at EZPrints.

ann
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Can I move them to a gallery other than "My SmugMug Creations"? I have set up a Christmas card gallery already, but these cards aren't in it yet.

One more thing, since I only want these printed as cards, is there a short cut for eliminating all the other product choices at purchase time?
  • Options
    Lerxst101Lerxst101 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2009
    Building Woes
    Hi,

Trying to build our holiday card, but I seem to be in an endless loop. Tried last night, went to bed, and awakened to it still "building." Attempted to redo this morning, and we are now on at least 4 hours. Placing one photo on cover and one on each of inside of card. At least two photos are 5MB+. Is that the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2009
    Lerxst101 wrote:
    Hi,

Trying to build our holiday card, but I seem to be in an endless loop. Tried last night, went to bed, and awakened to it still "building." Attempted to redo this morning, and we are now on at least 4 hours. Placing one photo on cover and one on each of inside of card. At least two photos are 5MB+. Is that the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry you're having problems. The photo size shouldn't be a problem. Can you tell me which card design you were attempting to use? http://cards.smugmug.com/
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    juledur wrote:
    Can I move them to a gallery other than "My SmugMug Creations"? I have set up a Christmas card gallery already, but these cards aren't in it yet.

One more thing, since I only want these printed as cards, is there a short cut for eliminating all the other product choices at purchase time?

Yes and yes. We just put them by default in the Creations gallery, but you can use the photo tools inside that gallery to move them to any other.

My suggestion would be to set prices at the gallery level in your Christmas card gallery and put zero's for every product except the cards. Your customers won't see any other purchasing options.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Sheaf wrote:
    Hi Tom,

Sorry you're having problems. The photo size shouldn't be a problem. Can you tell me which card design you were attempting to use? http://cards.smugmug.com/

Thanks for getting back to me. 5x7 folded cards > Winter Holiday > Card #8 (Peace, Love, Joy -- vertical card, one photo on front, one on each side of inside, green strip beneath inside "From our family to yours..."

I was able to create one as a test. But after creating the "final version," when we went to order the card (225 of them), it hangs in the "Building your card (this can take a while)" stage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Hmm, I was just able to use that design successfully a couple of times. What browser are you using?

I will keep trying to figure out what the problem is, but I hate to make you wait for a bug fix.

If you email the help desk with ATTN: Sheaf and give me direct links to the photos you want to use and their order on the card, I can make it for you. Alternatively, you could try again. The building process really shouldn't take longer than 10 or 15 minutes maximum (it generally only takes a couple of minutes). So if after 15 minutes it still is going, it's probably broken.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Sheaf wrote:
    Hmm, I was just able to use that design successfully a couple of times. What browser are you using?

I will keep trying to figure out what the problem is, but I hate to make you wait for a bug fix.

If you email the help desk with ATTN: Sheaf and give me direct links to the photos you want to use and their order on the card, I can make it for you. Alternatively, you could try again. The building process really shouldn't take longer than 10 or 15 minutes maximum (it generally only takes a couple of minutes). So if after 15 minutes it still is going, it's probably broken.

Thanks so much! Help desk originally suggested updating Flash, try Firefox instead of Safari, and try another card. It was odd, because I successfully created same card with different photos only hours before. By the way, I did update Flash and tried to build using Firefox. Once again, I was able to create the card, but when I went to order, that is where it hangs.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Lerxst101 wrote:
    Thanks so much! Help desk originally suggested updating Flash, try Firefox instead of Safari, and try another card. It was odd, because I successfully created same card with different photos only hours before. By the way, I did update Flash and tried to build using Firefox. Once again, I was able to create the card, but when I went to order, that is where it hangs.

When you went to order it? Through the card creator or from your gallery? If it was through the card creator, you should be able to just order it from your gallery like any other photo as long as it was indeed created correctly.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Sheaf wrote:
    Yes and yes. We just put them by default in the Creations gallery, but you can use the photo tools inside that gallery to move them to any other.

My suggestion would be to set prices at the gallery level in your Christmas card gallery and put zero's for every product except the cards. Your customers won't see any other purchasing options.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    What size is the PAPER for the card?
    I know, I know...others have been confused and asked this question...but even after scrolling through this 14 page thread looking for a definitive answer, the replies to the same question asked by others provide hints to the answer, but fall short of being definitive.

I just ordered a 5x7 card (landscape layout). Is the final product made from a single sheet of photo paper measuring 7 inches by 10 inch folded in half (10/2=5) to create the 2 "inside" and 2 "outside" pages of the care? A yes or no reply would be appreciated ('cuz if it's "no", I need to pull back my order).

I'm sure it's "obvious" to the designers and to people in the printing business, but the visual in the help screens shows a cut and two folds, which caused me to panic a bit.

Thanks.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    papajay wrote:
    I know, I know...others have been confused and asked this question...but even after scrolling through this 14 page thread looking for a definitive answer, the replies to the same question asked by others provide hints to the answer, but fall short of being definitive.

I just ordered a 5x7 card (landscape layout). Is the final product made from a single sheet of photo paper measuring 7 inches by 10 inch folded in half (10/2=5) to create the 2 "inside" and 2 "outside" pages of the care? A yes or no reply would be appreciated ('cuz if it's "no", I need to pull back my order).

I'm sure it's "obvious" to the designers and to people in the printing business, but the visual in the help screens shows a cut and two folds, which caused me to panic a bit.

Thanks.
    Papajay, Yes. They're 5x7 in size, when folded.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I created a card using the template rather than Smug's template so it is ready. But, when I try to buy the card where do I go? Do I use 'buy this photo?' or 'Create a card'? I don't see an option for cards under 'buy this photo'. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Eia wrote: »
    I created a card using the template rather than Smug's template so it is ready. But, when I try to buy the card where do I go? Do I use 'buy this photo?' or 'Create a card'? I don't see an option for cards under 'buy this photo'. headscratch.gif
    Hi Eia, There's currently a bug that isn't allowing you to order cards once they are saved out of the Card Creator. So that would also apply to custom made cards. We're aware of the problem and will hopefully have a fix for it soon. Sorry but for now the only way to purchase cards is in the Card Creator.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    gluwater wrote: »
    Hi Eia, There's currently a bug that isn't allowing you to order cards once they are saved out of the Card Creator. So that would also apply to custom made cards. We're aware of the problem and will hopefully have a fix for it soon. Sorry but for now the only way to purchase cards is in the Card Creator.

Hmmm...hope it is fixed well before Christmas...thanks much!
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 1, 2010
    Eia, I think the bug that Nick was thinking of has been fixed. Once a card ha been created you need to go to the My SmugMug Creations gallery or where ever the card resides currently. If you are a Pro make sure that the pricing for the gallery is set to EZprints. Click the buy button, this photo, click the option for photo cards. You can then add the card to the cart.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wendyf209wendyf209 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2010
    If you are a pro and selling these cards, do they come with any kind of branding on them???
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    wendyf209 wrote: »
    If you are a pro and selling these cards, do they come with any kind of branding on them???

Hi

Cards made from a Pro account do not have any branding on the back. If you have a Power or Standard account, the cards do have a discreet SmugMug logo on the back.

If, as a Pro, you wish to add your logo to the cards, then you will need to make custom cards. There is information on doing this on our wiki, here:

The key points to making your own cards are to be sure to use the exact pixel dimensions that we show on that page, and to get the orientation of the card graphic right when you upload it.

Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

ann
  • Options
    Bird LadyBird Lady Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Is this another bug?
    docwalker wrote: »
    Eia, I think the bug that Nick was thinking of has been fixed. Once a card ha been created you need to go to the My SmugMug Creations gallery or where ever the card resides currently. If you are a Pro make sure that the pricing for the gallery is set to EZprints. Click the buy button, this photo, click the option for photo cards. You can then add the card to the cart.

Two related problems about 5x7 cards:

1. I just "built" my first Pro 5x7 greeting card and have it in an unlisted SmugMug Creations gallery. I set up the pricing according to directions: Bay for prints and EZ for merchandise and the cards.
    When in Owner View, if I try to buy the card through the unlisted gallery (that shows the card's layout), a Card tab is on the pricing page, and all works well.
    BUT when I am in Visitor View OR Owner View in the public gallery showing the card's actual photo, the card tab on the Buy>pricing page doesn't exist.

2. Related to that, and confusing to me and new customers:
    I DON'T want all my photos used as cards, so I've priced some cards by Imaging pricing, and the card option disappeared. BUT for the photos that I would like to have have available as cards, I don't want anyone using or seeing the "create a card" option the Buy button offers. How can I disable that? I only want people to order my blank greeting cards as they appear in the unlisted SmugMug Creations gallery, not to have other options to confuse them.

Thanks!
  • Options
    WendeeWendee Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Hi Susan :)

1. The option to purchase a 5x7 folded card will only be available for the created card files. You cannot purchase a folded card from the original photo in the public gallery.

We only let you purchase cards of files that match the needed dimensions exactly. That means an image has to be 2800x4000 or 4000x2800, see here, at the bottom:

And if your image is just a regular photo, not a create card with the four quadrants, some of them upside down, the photo would be cropped into four sections on the card. That's why we don't give you the option to purchase the card from the regular image, it has to be the created card file.

And you don't want to rotate the card file in your gallery, or else it will be printed inside out.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-greeting-cards

2. If you only want people to be able to purchase from your created cards, and not make any cards of their own, you will need to let them see those cards. You could make you own public cards gallery and make copies of the created cards, or collect the cards into a public gallery. However you want to arrange it to have a place for viewers to purchase the cards you've created. You can have that gallery set to EZ Prints and have cards priced, and have everything else set to zero so only cards can be purchased from the card images.

Then you don't have to have cards priced anywhere else, so that viewers won't see the option to create a card.

I hope that helps. :)

Wendee
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    Wendee wrote: »
    Hi Susan :)

1. The option to purchase a 5x7 folded card will only be available for the created card files. You cannot purchase a folded card from the original photo in the public gallery.

We only let you purchase cards of files that match the needed dimensions exactly. That means an image has to be 2800x4000 or 4000x2800, see here, at the bottom:

And if your image is just a regular photo, not a create card with the four quadrants, some of them upside down, the photo would be cropped into four sections on the card. That's why we don't give you the option to purchase the card from the regular image, it has to be the created card file.

And you don't want to rotate the card file in your gallery, or else it will be printed inside out.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-greeting-cards

2. If you only want people to be able to purchase from your created cards, and not make any cards of their own, you will need to let them see those cards. You could make you own public cards gallery and make copies of the created cards, or collect the cards into a public gallery. However you want to arrange it to have a place for viewers to purchase the cards you've created. You can have that gallery set to EZ Prints and have cards priced, and have everything else set to zero so only cards can be purchased from the card images.

Then you don't have to have cards priced anywhere else, so that viewers won't see the option to create a card.

I hope that helps. :)

Wendee
    Support Hero

Thak you, Wendee. Most of that makes sense, except:

1. As an example, at present I quickly created one card in an unlisted SmugMug Creations gallery. ( I read somewhere in this thread to make it unlisted.) Should I now replace that with a public Greeting Cards gallery or keep the unlisted gallery as well?

2. In a public Greeting Cards gallery, how can I show customers an actual copy of the right-side-up photo? If I only put the created card /up-side-down image there, they won't be able to see what the photo looks like.

3. Nothing comes easy: I just looked at my SmugMug Creations gallery again. The watermark was on the thumb while the card was in the card creator. But now the card doesn't have a watermark in the still-unlisted gallery, and it is also available for viewing in the Original size. Since we're repeatedly told not to show the O sizes, what size can I put in the gallery settings if will be public? And what about the watermark then?

Thanks, again.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Bird Lady wrote: »

1. As an example, at present I quickly created one card in an unlisted SmugMug Creations gallery. ( I read somewhere in this thread to make it unlisted.) Should I now replace that with a public Greeting Cards gallery or keep the unlisted gallery as well?

2. In a public Greeting Cards gallery, how can I show customers an actual copy of the right-side-up photo? If I only put the created card /up-side-down image there, they won't be able to see what the photo looks like.

3. Nothing comes easy: I just looked at my SmugMug Creations gallery again. The watermark was on the thumb while the card was in the card creator. But now the card doesn't have a watermark in the still-unlisted gallery, and it is also available for viewing in the Original size. Since we're repeatedly told not to show the O sizes, what size can I put in the gallery settings if will be public? And what about the watermark then?

Thanks, again.

Bump - anyone, especially for #3?
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Bird Lady wrote: »

Thanks, again.

1. Your 'SmugMug Creations gallery' is for the cards your create, your customer's card they create will be added right into their shopping cart.
    If you want to display some cards you created, then add them to any gallery and apply watermarks and any other image protection you would like.

2. I wouldn't change the rotation of the cards, if the rotated copy gets ordered, then the card will be printed wrong.

3. The 'SmugMug Creations' gallery is 'unlisted'. If you make it public, then apply watermarks and limit the display size to less then original and enable 'protection' in the gallery settings.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    richW wrote: »
    1. Your 'SmugMug Creations gallery' is for the cards your create, your customer's card they create will be added right into their shopping cart.
    If you want to display some cards you created, then add them to any gallery and apply watermarks and any other image protection you would like.

2. I wouldn't change the rotation of the cards, if the rotated copy gets ordered, then the card will be printed wrong.

3. The 'SmugMug Creations' gallery is 'unlisted'. If you make it public, then apply watermarks and limit the display size to less then original and enable 'protection' in the gallery settings.

clap.gif At least I hope I should be clapping.... I created a public Greeting Cards gallery and used the "Collect" feature to put copies of both the created card and the actual photo into it. I did that because the card creator automatically puts cards into a "SmugMug Creations" gallery. I prefer calling my gallery Greeting Cards, so I found it easier just to makethe Creations one unlisted.

I then adjusted the pricing for the card to show only EZ's image pricing for cards in that gallery But I was able to keep all the Bay print pricing I had chosen beforehand for the actual photo in the Greeting Cards gallery. I also made certain merchandise and downloads were put at 0.00 for the card itself.

Don't know if the above makes sense, but I tried to buy cards as a customer, and it worked. Please check to see if I have overlooked something - and although I am 99 percent sure the card layout is correct....can someone please confirm that?

Two last questions on this:
    1. Can printmarks be placed on greeting cards if they are on the actual photo?
    2. Can I/how can I put a message on the gallery page that the "Layout is correct as shown." I put it in the caption but would prefer it somewhere in the Buy button line, if possible...?

Thanks to everyone again. I know lots of people who like pretty greeting cards, which is why I wanted to do this so badly.
  • Options
    pdaveypdavey Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2010
    How do I remove an image from the card once it is placed?
    When I select an image from a gallery and go to create a card, it automatically populates that photo. I can not figure out how to change it. Is there somewhere that I can start a card without it applying an image?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    Hi Susan,

1. Yes, if you put your signature or logo on the card image, it will be printed on the card as well.

For making your own cards, see here:

2. I'd recommend putting a note in the gallery description, so that it's above the images, near the Buy button. :)

Two last questions on this:
    1. Can printmarks be placed on greeting cards if they are on the actual photo?
    2. Can I/how can I put a message on the gallery page that the "Layout is correct as shown." I put it in the caption but would prefer it somewhere in the Buy button line, if possible...?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    Hi pdavey,

The image you were looking at when you clicked Buy > Create a Card, will be the one automatically displayed in the card creator. Below the example card, you can choose the type of card and the design you want, and there's a tab for Photos where you can choose other images in your galleries. :)

Take care,

Wendee
    Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/

pdavey wrote: »
    When I select an image from a gallery and go to create a card, it automatically populates that photo. I can not figure out how to change it. Is there somewhere that I can start a card without it applying an image?
  • Options
    pdaveypdavey Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2010
    Wendee wrote: »
    Hi pdavey,

The image you were looking at when you clicked Buy > Create a Card, will be the one automatically displayed in the card creator. Below the example card, you can choose the type of card and the design you want, and there's a tab for Photos where you can choose other images in your galleries. :)

Take care,

Wendee
    Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/

No matter what card I chose the image populates and I cannot get rid of it. Can a card be chosen independently then the images added from the photos tab?

Can a card be created without selecting a photo from a gallery?