Options

NEW: 5x7 Folded Cards

Comments

• Options
    PaulNPaulN Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, and yes on the bleed, esp text.

Given the bleed, can you comment on the usable pixel area? If each side of the card is 2000x1400, what is the actual printable area? If I'm going to loose 1/8" around each side, should I throw in a 10 or 20 pixel border, knowing that it won't be printed?

I'm throwing together a template in CS3 for a card, and have a 2800x4000 pixel file @ 300 pixels/inch. The "canvas" size is 9.33 x 13.33. Shouldn't this be 10x14, given the dimensions of the card?

Sorry to be so particular; I'm putting together a collage for the face of the card and if I loose 1/8" I might loose an ear or shoulder which will throw the pictures off balance. Otherwise, I wouldn't care.

Thanks,
    -Paul
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    PaulN wrote:
    Given the bleed,
    Bleed trim help: http://www.smugmug.com/help/bleed-trim

Is this helpful?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    PaulN wrote:
    Given the bleed, can you comment on the usable pixel area? If each side of the card is 2000x1400, what is the actual printable area? If I'm going to loose 1/8" around each side, should I throw in a 10 or 20 pixel border, knowing that it won't be printed?

I'm throwing together a template in CS3 for a card, and have a 2800x4000 pixel file @ 300 pixels/inch. The "canvas" size is 9.33 x 13.33. Shouldn't this be 10x14, given the dimensions of the card?

Sorry to be so particular; I'm putting together a collage for the face of the card and if I loose 1/8" I might loose an ear or shoulder which will throw the pictures off balance. Otherwise, I wouldn't care.

Thanks,
    -Paul

You can't throw in a border to deal with the bleed. The issue with bleed is that the paper is typically printed slightly oversize, then cut to the finished dimensions. That's how they get print all the way to the edge. The reason for the bleed area is that the alignment of the paper in the printer and the cutter when trimming has some tolerance to it. So, they print a little extra on the edges, then trim it off and, while you lose a little around the outside of your image, you get printing all the way to the edge.

If you try to put a white border around it, there is no guarantee that none of the border will be visible and if some is left visible, even less guarantee that the cut edge will be exactly parallel to your white border.

So the bleed is the amount of "tolerance" that the printer is asking for in order to guarantee that they give you printing all the way to the edge. They will use some of it, maybe not all of it. There is no way around it other than printing yourself or working one-on-one with a printer that does custom jobs with custom instructions (and probably charges accordingly).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Bleed trim help: http://www.smugmug.com/help/bleed-trim

Is this helpful?

I think so. I'm rethinking the design of the card (its similar to the montage in the example). I may just do the canvas size trick and add 38 pixels. Or should I move everything in 38 pixels and use 2800x4000 as hard stop?

Thanks,
    -Paul
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    PaulN wrote:
    Or should I move everything in 38 pixels and use 2800x4000 as hard stop?

Thanks,
    -Paul
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

Thanks, Andy.

Am I correct in thinking that this is really a 10x7 that is printed on both sides and then folded in half? If so, it is really 40 pixels (I rounded up) on the three sides of each face of the card. For the front of the card, it is 40 pixels in from the top, 40 pixels in from the bottom, and 40 pixels in from the right edge.

Hrmm; then you have the fold. Full-bleed printing is really ideal, but in reality, it is a pain trying to account for accurate trimming and the fold. I have no problems aligning front/back images in Photoshop down to the pixel, but if the trim is off and the fold isn't exact, you will have either part of the front image bleeding onto the back of the card or vice versa. I could go with a white border like I did last year, but full-bleed is calling out to me.

I guess this is why they call it the bleeding edge ;)

-Paul
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    PaulN wrote:
    Thanks, Andy.

Am I correct in thinking that this is really a 10x7 that is printed on both sides and then folded in half?

No, it is split into two files by us at the lab :) Make a draft and show it to me I'll validate it before printing.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Here's the first shot at a card I whipped up... thoughts? (X3 Size)
    425312463_pvMgy-L-1.jpg

Also, here are some Generic Photoshop Templates I put together for the 5x7 cards...
    Please let me know if there are any issues. Note that it has guides built in - if you don't see them, click on View|Extras in Photoshop. AND - remember that those guides along the outside are a safety zone ONLY! Don't look at them to center things or you'll be a 16th off... CTRL+H will toggle your guides on and off.
    http://rrdphoto.com/files/SM5x7templates-rrdphoto.zip

PaulN: The reason your math isn't working is because you're assuming 300DPI. Use 285 and you'll see numbers very close to 10x14. (Bottom line is to go with 4000x2800 and forget about DPI altogether! Only reason I calculated it was so that I could have my rulers show correct inches in Photoshop as a sanity check.)
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Ryan print 1 or two, quantity 1, and let me know how they look thumb.gif I think they'll be great.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Ryan print 1 or two, quantity 1, and let me know how they look thumb.gif I think they'll be great.

will do, thx!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Here's the first shot at a card I whipped up... thoughts?

Also, here are some Generic Photoshop Templates I put together for the 5x7 cards...

Ryan- beautiful card, and thanks for putting templates together! Very generous of you.

ann
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    So, here are the 5x7 cards I have made so far using Ryan's templates.

I am liking this alot, and can see refining my logo and other information with time. Just want some for this Christmas, and some for thank you notes for my business and my husbands.

ann
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Matte or Lustre finish?
    Will you be adding an option for a matte or lustre finish?

I am not a fan of the glossy finish, especially since I chose a design with the photo on the inside. The glossy finish is too easy to smudge while signing, and I'm having a hard time getting the cards to remain "tented" on the tabletop once opened.

Note for those considering inside photos - the paper has far less coating, which makes the pictures look more like a photocopy than a photograph. (Can you tell I am redoing my card to have the main image on the front?)
  • Options
    GirGir Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    More Custom choices
    I love the cards and I can't wait to send out ours for the holidays. I've had a request for graduation announcements with pictures on the front and both inside panels. If possible, could these kind of custom choices (pictures in more places) be added? [similar to the mycanvas book making].

--
    Hanyok Photography
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    Gir wrote:
    I love the cards and I can't wait to send out ours for the holidays. I've had a request for graduation announcements with pictures on the front and both inside panels. If possible, could these kind of custom choices (pictures in more places) be added? [similar to the mycanvas book making].

--
    Hanyok Photography

You can do this now by totally customizing your card. See posts above by Ryan - he has made a template to use as well.

ann
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    Love the cards!
    My batch of 75 cards came a few days ago and I'm really happy with the quality. I've gone with MPIX for the past two years and was never quite happy with the print quality, but I couldn't find another shop that offered the same level of customization until the new offering from SmugMug.

The print quality is nice; not as good as the standard Lustre prints, but I'm really happy with the quality. I can see/feel the difference with the coating on the inside of the paper; I would be hesitant in ordering cards with photos on the inside. YMMV though, so you should try a test print first.

Unlike MPIX which ships the cards flat and you have to fold them, SmugMug ships them in a nice black box and the cards are pre-folded. If I were selling cards to customers, I would be very, very, happy with the presentation. Well done, SmugMug. Nice quality prints, nice presentation. Very professional. Your [SmugMug] professional clients will be thanking you for this.

One thing that caught me off guard though, is a small barcode on the back of the card (lower left corner) and a small number in the lower right of the card. I imagine they coincide with the print order number. Not a show stopper by any means, but when you are designing the card, you may want to keep this in mind. I had a photo montage on the back of my card and the barcode ate into the image. Haha, who knows, if retail shops can enter the barcode into their PoS system, this could be seen as an advantage ;)
    Not a big issue, but I was surprised to see it.

One other note, I put together my card in Photoshop and I asked Andy if I should print true color or auto-color. Any said to go with true color. I wasn't sure if that is because my pictures are all properly post-processed on a calibrated system, or if it is because my card template contained true-white which might have thrown off the 'auto' color correction algorithm. Or, perhaps it is a combination of the two.

For those building their own templates, it might be valuable to know how auto color correction could impact the printing (if at all).

Overall, I am very, very happy with the cards. The quality is high enough that I would consider selling cards to clients and I am definitely going to be ordering all of my holiday cards from SmugMug in the future.

Good job guys and thanks for all of the template help!

-Paul
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I'm trying to determine if I should order one of each, auto and true, as a test, or just bite the bullet and order true color. I do have a calibrated monitor. This is the image for the front of my card. Any thoughts?

431433266_XW7FZ-L.jpg
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    farbodrfarbodr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2008
    How do I get saved card back from the gallery
    I made a folded card last night and saved it to my gallery so I can show it to my wife. Now I want to make a minor change to it and order it. I don't see anyway to do that or it's just not very obvious to me.

Do I need to go back and recreate it???

Thx,

Fred R.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    farbodr wrote:
    I made a folded card last night and saved it to my gallery so I can show it to my wife. Now I want to make a minor change to it and order it. I don't see anyway to do that or it's just not very obvious to me.

Do I need to go back and recreate it???

Thx,

Fred R.
    Yes, you'll need to make it anew, sorry!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I'm trying to determine if I should order one of each, auto and true, as a test, or just bite the bullet and order true color. I do have a calibrated monitor. This is the image for the front of my card. Any thoughts?

431433266_XW7FZ-L.jpg
    True for that will be fine.
  • Options
    just4funjust4fun Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    No photos tab
    I was playing around and working on a card last night, but didn't have time to finish up.

I came back today to start over, but I have no photos tab.

I can select which template I want to use, but can't put any photos in it?

Any suggestions? Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sara
  • Options
    just4funjust4fun Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Never mind - it is back.
    ne_nau.gif
    I'm not sure what I did differently, but I've tried about 10 times - logged out, logged back in etc... and couldn't get a photos tab to come up.

It is there now though.

Thanks! I'm excited about creating my card.

Sara

just4fun wrote:
    I was playing around and working on a card last night, but didn't have time to finish up.

I came back today to start over, but I have no photos tab.

I can select which template I want to use, but can't put any photos in it?

Any suggestions? Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sara
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    How long is print time for cards? 2, 3, 5 days?

ann
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Folded cards
    OK, I have a question. Why does it say that my photo is too small for a 5x7" folded cards when it is a HUGE 6+MB file? It will allow me to print a 20x30" picture, but not a 5x7" card. For the 4x8's it's fine though. ANy ideas?
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Hello.

Megabytes have nothing to do with resolution. Resolution is file dimensions. And our cards, require 2000 by 2000 pixels minimum on each side of your photo. Some photo spots will allow smaller photos.

Remember, our print minimums are MINIMUMS and we do recommend the full files - don't resize! :D
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hello.

Megabytes have nothing to do with resolution. Resolution is file dimensions. And our cards, require 2000 by 2000 pixels minimum on each side of your photo. Some photo spots will allow smaller photos.

Remember, our print minimums are MINIMUMS and we do recommend the full files - don't resize! :D

I understand that. That is why I posted my question. The picture measures 3920 x 2666. Any other ideas? I figured that a full resolution jpeg from a D3 would be just fine. I'm a bit confused. BTW, thanks for moving the post to the correct location :)

I just looked at another image that was "too small" for the 5x7 card. That image is 4007 x 2666.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    RKnecht wrote:
    I understand that. That is why I posted my question. The picture measures 3920 x 2666. Any other ideas? I figured that a full resolution jpeg from a D3 would be just fine. I'm a bit confused. BTW, thanks for moving the post to the correct location :)

I just looked at another image that was "too small" for the 5x7 card. That image is 4007 x 2666.
    I need the image link and also which card you are trying to make, thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I need the image link and also which card you are trying to make, thanks!

Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.richknechtphotography.com/gallery/5619611_v9KK3#423213630_F9rUK-O-LB

The reason why I am doing this is that I am going to a client's home to do a picture for their Holiday card, and I wanted to make sure I knew how to do it :) I was just trying to make a 5x7 folded card. As I said, it seems fine for the 4 x 8 card.

Thanks Andy.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    BTW, this is the standard 5x7 folded card. Not the new holiday cards. Is there a difference?

• Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    RKnecht wrote:
    BTW, this is the standard 5x7 folded card.

Not sure what this means?