Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, did everyone get that the embedded video is just 640 but you can view it up to 1920 on my SmugMug site? I can't believe how well it holds up, all the way to 1080p.

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/6677452_e9rL5#427227023_AsXNo

Truly breath taking. Can't wait to give video a try whenever mine comes.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Video from Cecil B. DeBaldy
    Looks awesome on everything clap.gif except full HD, where it begins getting muggy.. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    I have to agree with Nik. At full HD, it looks like anything that moves is a bit fuzzy. Like the folks walking into the Mark Hopkins (same with the Fairmont). The marquee looks OK but the peeps are fuzzy. There are exceptions, like the bakery shots--those look good.

Overall though, I'd have to say it's very nice indeed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PanfotoPanfoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Looks awesome on everything clap.gif except full HD, where it begins getting muggy.. ne_nau.gif
    For some reason the "FullHD" link plays the one of the smaller clips scaled up 3x. It does say in the blog post that the 1080 feature is still in beta. ne_nau.gif
  • NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Beautiful video. Great choices of place to shoot, Mr. DeBaldy wings.gif
  • VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Andy n Baldy really know how to promote this new beast.

Pulled of the trigger, placed my order for this camera, hope I dont have to wait for a long time to get it, since Im sure, Im on the bottom of their waiting list, Laughing.gif.

Now, going to post on Flea Market section to cover up the cost of my next new camera, one kidney for sale eek7.gif
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    Panfoto wrote:
    For some reason the "FullHD" link plays the one of the smaller clips scaled up 3x. It does say in the blog post that the 1080 feature is still in beta. ne_nau.gif
    That's odd. Doesn't do that for me. What browser are you using?
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Uhmmm...jealous? Yes. Do I hate you in a loving way? Also yes!

That is amazing. I upgraded from the 40D to 50D, and am now wishing I would have sold my car and apartment to get the 5DMKII.

Gorgeous...Just Gorgeous.
    edited November 30, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I have to agree with Nik. At full HD, it looks like anything that moves is a bit fuzzy. Like the folks walking into the Mark Hopkins (same with the Fairmont). The marquee looks OK but the peeps are fuzzy. There are exceptions, like the bakery shots--those look good.
    I think what you may be seeing is the extremely shallow depth of field of my f/2 200mm, which is partly what made these images look so clean. Andy is telling me I should shoot with a more accessible lens to see if it holds up at f/2.8 or f/4.

So on the Fairmont, the focus was closer so the lettering would look sharp on the awning. The people being further back are not sharply in focus.

One thing I do worry about, tho, is it seems to drop frames or stutter when there gets to be a fair amount of motion. Anyone know what that is? Can't write I/O to the card fast enough? I just bought a UDMA card to see.
    edited November 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    That's odd. Doesn't do that for me. What browser are you using?
    x86 32-bit Linux Firefox 3.0.1 (default binary distribution) with Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115.
    I wonder if it has something to do with the size of the browser window? My desktop is 1920x1200 but a maximized window is only 1856x1136.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    OMG the video...the video is ABSOLUTELY STUPID...like STUPID GOOD...holy schmoly.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Panfoto wrote:

The issue is your video card. To play back 1080p H.264 at anywhere near real time you need a card which provides hardware assist to decode it. From a little testing on my systems, it looks like the smugmug player scales a lower rez version of the video if your video card is not up to handling full HD. My feeling is that it would be a good idea for the player to provide some indication when it is doing this...

My desktop machine has an older video card and yes, when I do get a 5DII, I'll be getting a new card at the same time...
    edited December 1, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The issue is your video card. To play back 1080p H.264 at anywhere near real time you need a card which provides hardware assist to decode it.
    Out of curiosity does your system play the "Hi-Def" resolution natively and then scale up a smaller video when you try to play "FullHD"?

I play captured HD streams on this box on a regular basis and after manually downloading the full-res version it played back beautifully. Now I can't claim that flash itself plays 1080p correctly because I've never tried to play any HD content in my browser before. But if flash was limiting the max resolution then I would expect it to scale the 720p version up instead of trying the 360p one. I realize my setup isn't exactly standard issue, so kinks are to be expected.

What really matters is that the video looks amazing!
    edited December 1, 2008
    That makes perfect sense if you're using the 200. You don't have much leeway on either side of the focus point.

I must say, the night performance is pretty darn good.
    edited December 1, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The issue is your video card. To play back 1080p H.264 at anywhere near real time you need a card which provides hardware assist to decode it. From a little testing on my systems, it looks like the smugmug player scales a lower rez version of the video if your video card is not up to handling full HD. My feeling is that it would be a good idea for the player to provide some indication when it is doing this...

My desktop machine has an older video card and yes, when I do get a 5DII, I'll be getting a new card at the same time...
    We have some UI fail going on too. If you click the full-screen button on our embedded video player, it just scales the 640 res to the size of your screen using Flash. Bad.

To get the full HD, you have to go to my gallery, then click on the video. You'll see the size options along the top of the page.

Here's a direct link to the 1080p version:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/6677452_e9rL5#427227023_AsXNo-X2-LB
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    We have some UI fail going on too. If you click the full-screen button on our embedded video player, it just scales the 640 res to the size of your screen using Flash. Bad.

To get the full HD, you have to go to my gallery, then click on the video. You'll see the size options along the top of the page.

Works perfectly clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Looks like its going to be a really nice camera.

Anyone know how many Tallyn's got in their first order?
    RON
  • WesternriderWesternrider Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I had planned to upgrade from my 20D to the 50D. It was a done deal. Perfect for my modest collection of "L" glass.

All of that is gone now. I blame Baldy. And Andy. :bluduh
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I had planned to upgrade from my 20D to the 50D. It was a done deal. Perfect for my modest collection of "L" glass.

All of that is gone now. I blame Baldy. And Andy. :bluduh
    lol3.gif

Welcome to dgrin! And.. good job, Andy and Baldy!! lol3.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • WesternriderWesternrider Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    lol3.gif

Welcome to dgrin! And.. good job, Andy and Baldy!! lol3.gif

It gets worse, I think I "need" a Tilt-Shift lens now for my urban photography. Portland is a visual feast of industrial complexes, ships, port facilities and bridges. I don't know whether the 24mm or the 45mm would be best. I do "know" that either one "needs" to be attached to that damn 5D Mark II.
  • TonyStewartTonyStewart Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    My 5D2 should be arriving this weekend. Amazon wouldn't deliver it till after Christmas which is pants so I ended up paying more, I know I know to get it earlier somewhere else!
    edited December 1, 2008
    Ouuuch, I just missed my camera.

I just got an email from Tallyns, saying they have 2 left over for Body + Lens Kits, that ready to be shipped tomorrow, I just hurried to call them to upgrade my order from Body only to the Body + lens Kits, apparently some 2 people have already took that kits ..

I wonder if those 2 people are from here ? rolleyes1.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    SO THRILLED! My (fantastic) local store has them in now and I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. I am so excited... beyond words... brain fails... waited years for this...!

:smo

(The video and sample pics aren't helping the excitement lol3.gif)
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I was one of them :D. I was the second person to call. The good news is that I think I was in the top 10 of the body only wait list - if I was ahead of you then you just moved up a spot.
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Ouuuch, I just missed my camera.

I just got an email from Tallyns, saying they have 2 left over for Body + Lens Kits, that ready to be shipped tomorrow, I just hurried to call them to upgrade my order from Body only to the Body + lens Kits, apparently some 2 people have already took that kits ..

I wonder if those 2 people are from here ? rolleyes1.gif
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:

embedded video sucks on linux and it's all the fault of flash and it's general lagging behind the windows and mac version. I've got a highend 3d workstation, 8 cores, oodles of ram and top of the line graphics card but even youtube can be jerky in the browser.

I've downloaded some of the full res 1080p videos from the 5d and they play beautifully with mplayer and vlc on this machine. It's just not a big enough market for adobe to care.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Oh I see the new 1080p version is now a .mp4 file that gets loaded by the mplayer plugin for firefox (v2.0.0.14, kbuntu 7.04) The picture is stunning except for something really odd. It plays the video at about 1/3 speed and the sound at full speed until the sound ends. then the video plays back smoothly. I'll try messing with some stuff, I'd love to get videos to playback nice on this machine.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
    edited December 1, 2008
    mike_k wrote:
    I was one of them :D. I was the second person to call. The good news is that I think I was in the top 10 of the body only wait list - if I was ahead of you then you just moved up a spot.

Hehe, I dont mind if those 2 are fellow dgrinners :D Enjoy your new toy, Mike, hopefully you will get it soon, dont forget to share some pics wings.gif.
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Hehe, I dont mind if those 2 are fellow dgrinners :D Enjoy your new toy, Mike, hopefully you will get it soon, dont forget to share some pics wings.gif.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited that it's finally on its way!! :ivar
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Thanks for posting the images and video!

Baldy,

I feel it is my duty to ask a question on behalf of everybody over at ADVRider. How's the autofocus during video - from what I understand, it uses the contrast based autofocus. Is it fast enough to track motorcycle action?

Wes
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Thanks for posting the images and video!

wave.gif Wes!

Say hello to that hooligan brother of yours and to your family for me. K?

Thanks,
    Ian