Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Thanks for posting the images and video!

Baldy,

I feel it is my duty to ask a question on behalf of everybody over at ADVRider. How's the autofocus during video - from what I understand, it uses the contrast based autofocus. Is it fast enough to track motorcycle action?

Wes
    Hey Wes!

For dgrinners who don't know, Wes Weber makes his own bikes and knows how to ride them:

6838723_UAsHq-XL-1.jpg

He rides with his dad, center, who is 80, and his daughter and brother:

179238748_CeAn7-XL-1.jpg

178780574_DSf72-XL-1.jpg

His daughter is adorable:

179238656_TZbQ8-XL-1.jpg

And he almost ended me when his wheelie went slightly awry.

6599688_FbfQV-X2-1.jpg
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008
    And his dad's been ridin' awhile:

176595948_NzJxJ-O-1.jpg

The answer is the autofocus totally sucks. It's not tracking, it just focuses poorly on a fixed object. You have to manually focus, made harder by the fact that the screen isn't very clear in video mode, so it's hard to tell if you're focused.

Sorry....

It works well if stuff is going across the screen, like the shot of you going past me riding up the trail with water. It doesn't work if something is coming toward you.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    Looks like its going to be a really nice camera.

Anyone know how many Tallyn's got in their first order?

I spoke with them today. They had received 4 bodies and 10 kits in their first shipment.
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I spoke with them today. They had received 4 bodies and 10 kits in their first shipment.

Thanks for that information.

10 kits. Kind of shows what they are pushing $$$$. Hope we get ours by the middle of December.

From what I'm seeing, I'm glad I pre-ordered.
    RON
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    The answer is the autofocus totally sucks. It's not tracking, it just focuses poorly on a fixed object. You have to manually focus, made harder by the fact that the screen isn't very clear in video mode, so it's hard to tell if you're focused.
    Jim Rose, Canon pro. rep suggested the following last month:
    -prefocus before going to video
    -use live view to focus and zoom in 10x .
    -if you need to focus during the recording, pressing the AF-ON button, but it's very slow because it uses the live view contrast dection AF

But probably already figured all of this out. rolleyes1.gif

And he holding a class at K&S in the near future about this camera (friday, dec. 5 and saturday, dec. 6). It's worth going and picking his brain....
  • Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Anyone know if there are any waterproof housings out for the Mark II yet?
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    Thanks for that information.

10 kits. Kind of shows what they are pushing $$$$. Hope we get ours by the middle of December.

From what I'm seeing, I'm glad I pre-ordered.

Yeah I'm staying hopeful. In light of the email they sent out to those of us who ordered bodies (that email where they said they had two kits left over after filling pre-orders) I put myself on the "willing to take whatever the hell comes first to the store" list, lol. I figure I can always sell the lens if I don't want it (I used to own a 24-105) but just get me my camera already!!! lol I'm impatient

at least they have great customer service and have been very pleasant whenever I call and inquire about things.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 2, 2008
    Mine is due to arrive Fridaythumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Bump for a new image (Pano) in the first post :D
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:

WOW! Beautiful shot. :jawdrop
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:

That Pano is amazing. Can you come to Ohio and take panos like that with my new 5D MII? :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    I like the pano. If I were picking what to enlarge for the wall, something like that would be it.

Nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    Darn it everybody, now I'm not satisfied with "any" camera I have.

Must, have, Canon 5D MKII. :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    :ivar
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Darn it everybody, now I'm not satisfied with "any" camera I have.

Must, have, Canon 5D MKII. :D

Ziggy, what do you think about this camera for wildlife shooting given the slower burst rate, and explain to me why a full frame is better than a 1.6 crop frame, and how visible really is the difference????

Thanks in advance,

Dan :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Ziggy, what do you think about this camera for wildlife shooting given the slower burst rate, and explain to me why a full frame is better than a 1.6 crop frame, and how visible really is the difference????

Thanks in advance,

Dan :D

The FOV for a full-frame (FF) camera is much wider than it is for the 1.6x Canon crop cameras (and other "crop" cameras are similar.) Coming from your Canon 50D, if you are happy with your 300mm telephoto, you would wish for a 500mm to get a similar FOV on the FF body.

Of course, a longer and heavier lens can also impact on handheld shots and may affect your choice of tripod and head.

Burst rate is probably not as important as responsiveness, which is usually faster when associated with a camera of rapid burst (but not always.) I would have to try them both but I do "believe" that the Canon 1Ds MKIII has a much faster AF system and that also plays a role in responsiveness. I also believe that the AF system in the 1Ds MKIII is potentially more accurate than that in the 5D MKII.

If I were shooting wildlife that was small or fast moving, I might want the combination of features of the 1D MKIII (not the 1Ds MKIII). The faster responsiveness along with the 1.3x crop factor and pretty good high ISO performance would probably make sense. For BIF I do think that the 1D MKIII (and 1D MKII/IIN for that matter) would make the best recommendation of the Canon cameras.

If I were shooting wildlife that was larger and slower moving, the 5D MKII might make a lot of sense, especially when the light goes lower and there is time to react.

There is no best wildlife camera for all situations of course, but the 5D MKII would not be my first recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    I think Ziggy has a good point.

I tend to favor APS based cameras, over full frame cameras, when I really need long, and longer glass. Bird shooting for instance.

As the organism allows closer approaches, I tend to favor full frame cameras, but the 5D was not stellar in AF acquisition speed. I think the new 5D Mkll will be more like the 40D and 50D in AF, and they were a real step up from the 20D and 30D. But still not near the ability of the 1DMkll or the 1DMkll - for high speed AF, they rule the roost in white lens land.

I will comment more about this in a week or so.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    Ziggy's point about the long lenses is valid but one could argue that crop body or not, it's how you fill the frame that matters most and with any FF body, you will likely have enough pixels to crop if needed in most situations. Where a crop body would be most valuable when you cannot get closer to your subject. Like shooting surf at Mavericks from the cliffs.

If you're shooting a moving object, AF speed matters both in acquisition and tracking. Shutter lag matters too. However, I'm convinced that knowledge of your subject/sport matters more than FPS when comparing anything in the 5+ fps range. Otherwise, there's just too much to sort through in spray & pray mode.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The FOV for a full-frame (FF) camera is much wider than it is for the 1.6x Canon crop cameras (and other "crop" cameras are similar.) Coming from your Canon 50D, if you are happy with your 300mm telephoto, you would wish for a 500mm to get a similar FOV on the FF body.

Of course, a longer and heavier lens can also impact on handheld shots and may affect your choice of tripod and head.

Burst rate is probably not as important as responsiveness, which is usually faster when associated with a camera of rapid burst (but not always.) I would have to try them both but I do "believe" that the Canon 1Ds MKIII has a much faster AF system and that also plays a role in responsiveness. I also believe that the AF system in the 1Ds MKIII is potentially more accurate than that in the 5D MKII.

If I were shooting wildlife that was small or fast moving, I might want the combination of features of the 1D MKIII (not the 1Ds MKIII). The faster responsiveness along with the 1.3x crop factor and pretty good high ISO performance would probably make sense. For BIF I do think that the 1D MKIII (and 1D MKII/IIN for that matter) would make the best recommendation of the Canon cameras.

If I were shooting wildlife that was larger and slower moving, the 5D MKII might make a lot of sense, especially when the light goes lower and there is time to react.

There is no best wildlife camera for all situations of course, but the 5D MKII would not be my first recommendation.

I'm betting $2700 that the 5D MKII will be a fine wildlife camera.
    Moving from the XSi at 12 mp, the 21 mp will still have a wider FOV, but I think the better low light / higher ISO ability and the better shutter speeds that come with it will be a great trade off.

I don't think the focusing on this camera will match the 1 series cameras, but I haven't missed to many shots with the XSi because the focus wasn't fast enough.

The high ISO ability of this camera just allowed you to gain at least 1 stop of light. Probably 2 stops if you own a XSi like me.
    That's like changing a 400 f5.6 into a 400 f2.8. (granted you won't get the silky backgrounds that the f2.8 would)

On a cloudy, at ISO 400, I was lucky to get a shutter speed of 1/800 for some of my eagle BIF's.
    With this camera, at ISO 1600, which looks great, I would have had a shutter of 1/3200. That's huge.
    Those deer that are out at dusk or dawn, will now be able to be captured.

I think this camera will be just as good at wildlife as it is with landscapes, people, and so on.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Wes!

For dgrinners who don't know, Wes Weber makes his own bikes and knows how to ride them...

Holy introductions, Baldman!

Looks like all you Canon Dgrinners convinced me to jump off the Nikon ship. I've got a D100 now that I've got a lot of great use and pics with, but I'm really itching for a camera with good low-light performance. Since the 5DMKII is the same price as the D700, I might as well get video. Plus, I think it is more likely that Canon will come out with the next 'gotta have it' camera - unlike the D3x.

So, I've got another video question. Since it's hard to see the display during live view - I was wondering if the video output works during live view. I had the thought of using something like this as a larger screen when shooting video:

http://www.mobinote.net/global/product_dvxpod_eng.asp

It is small enough to fit in my pack and maybe could be nice when shooting video.

Whatdya think? Should I even bother worrying about the video on the MKII, or should I just shut up and take more pics?

Wes
  • Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Wes Weber wrote:
    So, I've got another video question. Since it's hard to see the display during live view - I was wondering if the video output works during live view. I had the thought of using something like this as a larger screen when shooting video:

http://www.mobinote.net/global/product_dvxpod_eng.asp

It is small enough to fit in my pack and maybe could be nice when shooting video.

Wes, Im pretty sure it will shoot vid & allow live view through another video output.
    I know it will for stills, but Ive read some conflicting info for the video side of things.

One of the clips from Vincent seem to show them shooting while connected to a large external monitor.

Maybe some lucky 5d owner can hook up an external monitor and
    let us know how the vid works out, and also correct me if Im wrong.

Ive been following Red Rock Micro's DSLR Cinema rig that ad some interesting tech to the 5D.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

This is the field bundle, they have another cinema bundle with a matte box.
    Neither are listed as having an external monitor, but I think they will support this type of shooting.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/cartpics/DSLR_field_bundle_lg.jpg

(Mod edit, I changed the image to a link. ziggy)
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Wes the situation where the other Brand's Camera is "better" will reoccur every once in a while
    no matter which brand you shoot with. When the D300 and D3 came out the
    situation was the same for a lot of canon shooters. You can save yourself
    some grief and frustration time and money if you decide your camera brand
    based on the availability of lenses and accessories (flashes etc.) that the brand
    offers.

I used to own a Pentax SLR camera and thought it was the best thing in the
    world. And it was. Until the I wanted to buy some lenses which they did not
    have in their lineup. Nikon has some great wide angle lenses and Canon has
    a nice collection of different telephoto lenses. This was one of the mein reasons
    why I bought into the canon system.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Just wowed by that video. I messed my monitor up moving to a new place but it still looks great.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    That pano is incredible! I took a look at the single frame and can see people at what looks like a restaurant, and I can see well enough into many of the windows to identify desks, computers, and to see there aren't any people i the room.

Sam
  • Options
    Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    Ive been following Red Rock Micro's DSLR Cinema rig that ad some interesting tech to the 5D.
    http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

Hey, that's pretty cool. I had not seen it before - thanks for the link!

Wes
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Bump for this nightshot, it's in post #1.

430880661_qUNGo-Th.jpg
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Bump for this nightshot, it's in post #1.

430880661_qUNGo-Th.jpg
    Sweet. It certainly helps when the weather cooperates.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Andy, how much does Canon pay you for being their spokesman on dgrin? :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008