Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    So definitely gotta say that I am loving the way full frame looks....

Nothing exciting to photograph last night, but here's as few test frames I fired off last night before going to sleep.

ISO 1600
    432563074_nsbea-L.jpg

ISO 800
    432566047_DzqLh-L.jpg

ISO 25,600 (just for the hey of it)
    432561813_a5qDa-L.jpg

ISO 3200
    432564872_qmGF4-L.jpg
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    ;_;

I want to shoot at ISO 25,600 for the heck of it!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Black Spots - why wouldn't they show here, on these water drops?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/432644970_M5M9j-X3.jpg

change X3 to O in your browser to get the original.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Just so everyone knows, the link you posted is just a restating of the DPreview thread that was posted here earlier - it is the same solution and not something different.
    Which is, what?
    edited December 8, 2008
    Andy, have you done or tinkered with the video yet? I have watched Baldy's and Vincent's a good amount of times already!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    sash wrote:
    Those do look like black dots to me. Sorry, they're definitely not lamp-housings, /QUOTE]

I blew it up big time and they clearly are.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 8, 2008
    Just so everyone knows, the link you posted is just a restating of the DPreview thread that was posted here earlier - it is the same solution and not something different.

From the link...
    Frankly, it’s not an issue at alarming rate; of course, unless your works involve pixel-peeping beyond 100% or billboard-sized commercial printing. The tiny black dots on aren’t likely to affect the overall 21MP image.

It sounds more like much ado bout nothing to me. And seeing what Andy shot, I have to agree that you're not likely going to notice anything in a print--I look forward to his confirming this. And I look forward to the billboard sized print currently in the works.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I am always amazed that for every new camera that comes out, be it canon, nikon or other, people search to find something wrong, no matter how trivial or unimportant, instead of just using it and enjoying it. For every 25 problems their are probably thousands enjoying the "problem" cameras and loving them. I will have to go check my 40D that I have enjoyed so much. There must be something wrong with it.
    RON
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Black Spots - why wouldn't they show here, on these water drops?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/432644970_M5M9j-X3.jpg

change X3 to O in your browser to get the original.

My camera shows black dots only in when there is a high contrast
    situation. Like when a highlight is surrounded by a dark area.
    The Original seems a little small for 21MP by the way.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I have my 5D now....yay!

Niiiiiiiice! I'm willing to line-jump at this point if I can track one down.
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I have my 5D now....yay! Though I sadly created the first test photos in RAW at a friends house before driving home from Chicago (where I drove JUST to go buy one, lol) and so now I must figure out how to convert them... or just wait for the battery to finish charging so I can do new test shots in JPG....

PS - full frame is sexy, lol. I understand what they talked about in a previous post now

I am envious. At least you moved me up a spot.

I happy for you and hope you really enjoy it.
    RON
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    For the Kiwi's (i know there's a few of you here) The stores have obviously heard theirs are on their way. I got a call from photo.co.nz to check on my preorder (7th on the list) and that they would have "some" in "days". Another friend was called by WPS and they expect them on monday.

So it's good to see they are finally getting this far.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    For the Kiwi's (i know there's a few of you here) The stores have obviously heard theirs are on their way. I got a call from photo.co.nz to check on my preorder (7th on the list) and that they would have "some" in "days". Another friend was called by WPS and they expect them on monday.
    I'll be giving WPS a call!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Put me on the list of new 5DMkII owners. Walked into my local BestBuy for something unrelated, and walked out with the new camera.

I'll have to go shoot some black dots tomorrow rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited December 8, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Put me on the list of new 5DMkII owners. Walked into my local BestBuy for something unrelated, and walked out with the new camera.

I'll have to go shoot some black dots tomorrow rolleyes1.gif

Don't you just love Best Buy every now and then?

By the way, if anyone wants to take my spot in the pre-order line at Tallyn's, they can do that, otherwise they're going to officially cancel the pre-order for me. Let me know asap. PM me if you are interested.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I'm pretty sure this has already been talked about, but I don't really wanna sift through 165 posts. So here goes.

Today I went in to my local photo shop where a Canon rep was in town helping out with a Canon sale. I decided to play with the 5D MKII (couldn't resist), so I threw my memory card in from my 50D, and decided to snap a couple shots, and shoot a short video so I could bring them home play...and drool, a lot.

Anyways, the video was F-ING AMAZING!, the RAW .CR2 files however, would not open in PS CS3, PS Lightroom 2, or DPP. Not even DPP! Any ideas? Does it have something to do with my software is for the EF-S sensors and they have completely different software for FF bodies?

Anyways, more just curious than anything.

Thanks.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 9, 2008
    Requires PS CS4 and the ACR update to open the files. A newer ACR update for LR2 is also available.

With respect to DPP, unless you have DPP 3.5.1 or higher, you also won't be able to open RAW 5DII files. The free 61MB DPP update is at Canon's site.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    It has been said before that you can convert the CR2 files with Adobe Camera RAW 5.2 (its free) to DNG format, which is compatible with all the applications mentioned above (LR, PSP, etc etc).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • TonyStewartTonyStewart Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I was able to update Elements 6 to open the 5D2 RAW files so no problem. Will eventually upgrade to CS but not quite yet.

I am incredibly impressed with the ISO options. I was at a reception yesterday and ramped up the ISO to 6400, darkish room with a 24-105mm L lense. The pictures were flawless. OK if you blow them up to full size you can see a lot of noise but for the size I wanted the pictures looked amazing with great light. I could have used my 50mm/1.4 but wanted the slight zoon on the L lense and I was rewarded I have to say. I also took pics using lowere ISO's but at the lowest levels they pictures looked amazing with no flash.
    edited December 9, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Requires PS CS4 and the ACR update to open the files. A newer ACR update for LR2 is also available.

With respect to DPP, unless you have DPP 3.5.1 or higher, you also won't be able to open RAW 5DII files. The free 61MB DPP update is at Canon's site.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

If you read here, Lightroom as NOT updated to include 5D2 support w/ the most recent version of ACR. It will support it sometime later this month when they come out w/ the update for Lightroom 2.2
  • TelephotoTelephoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Don't you just love Best Buy every now and then?

By the way, if anyone wants to take my spot in the pre-order line at Tallyn's, they can do that, otherwise they're going to officially cancel the pre-order for me. Let me know asap. PM me if you are interested.

So Shima, let me get this straight. After bugging the hell out of Tallyns for a month, changing your order, and taking up their time as to where you are on their list - you completely threw them under the bus for an item that will be available in two weeks, common in 6 months, and obsolete in a year?

Didnt you just get a new camera less than a couple of months ago?

ne_nau.gif
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    "Throwing them under the bus" would have to involve some kind of actual offense for the accusation to have any weight to it, don't you think? Canceling an order where no money changed hands doesn't wrongly shame Tallyn's into being destitute.
    edited December 9, 2008
    Even though she has purchased from another vendor, doesn't make her throwing them under the bus. The person behind her gets the camera slightly sooner. That's all. The next in line who preordered gets it sooner.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • firstarsbrnwhitefirstarsbrnwhite Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    studio shots with 5d mk 2

5d1.png5d2.png
    edited December 9, 2008
    Did you paint your subject's nails? She totally didn't look like she liked the costume!

;_; I need money so bad for bills and traveling, but I know in reality it is going to go to the 5D mk II funds. ne_nau.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    It has been said before that you can convert the CR2 files with Adobe Camera RAW 5.2 (its free) to DNG format, which is compatible with all the applications mentioned above (LR, PSP, etc etc).

whew, after i finally scraped enough to get a 5d2 i about hit the floor thinking i had to upgrade to cs4 & LR2 too......glaad acr updates are free...!!! im only on 4.6 i guess i better get downloading soon

anyway, im waiting like Kdog for the bugs to sort out and prices to drop a little...

i should be ordering around end of january....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I am incredibly impressed with the ISO options. I was at a reception yesterday and ramped up the ISO to 6400, darkish room with a 24-105mm L lense. The pictures were flawless.
    Thanks for the info on the 24-105 L performance on a 5D MkII. Did anyone else test this combination yet?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Few shots with the new 5DMkII

These were hand held shooting in windy, 30+mph & (cold mid 30's) conditions, so they might be a tad blurry. But, where looking at the ISO performance.

Given what little I've tested with this camera, I initially have to agree that the 5DMkII may indeed trump the 5D by 2 stops.

I've not tried moving subjects yet, but in One-Shot mode it focuses much faster than my 5D in very low light.

(BTW, I never knew until I took these pics that the flowers on our porch are fake eek7.gif )

ISO 3200 - f/4 - 1/25 - 40mm
    434012688_bSzL8-XL.jpg

ISO 6400 - f/4 - 1/50 - 40mm
    434012870_KpGJ6-XL.jpg

ISO 12800 - f/4 - 1/100 - 40mm
    434012926_D8Qwx-XL.jpg

ISO 25600 - f/4 - 1/200 - 40mm
    434012735_yorud-XL.jpg

ISO 6400 - f/4 - 1/2 - 40mm - Levels only adjustment (NOTE: Not windy in car rolleyes1.gif )
    434044348_sLsEW-XL-1.jpg

And one at sane level's of ISO
    ISO 1250 - f/4 - 1/40 - 40mm
    434025555_TeFVP-XL.jpg
    Randy
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    ISO 6400 - f/4 - 1/2 - 40mm - Levels only adjustment (NOTE: Not windy in car rolleyes1.gif )
    434044348_sLsEW-S.jpg
    Looks like a good candidate for DSS#14.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    whew, after i finally scraped enough to get a 5d2 i about hit the floor thinking i had to upgrade to cs4 & LR2 too......glaad acr updates are free...!!! im only on 4.6 i guess i better get downloading soon

anyway, im waiting like Kdog for the bugs to sort out and prices to drop a little...

i should be ordering around end of january....thumb.gif

How many new cameras do you need Aaron?rolleyes1.gif