Options

The Keeping Divamum Sane Thread

achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited January 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, now I really will (try to) shut up and sit on my hands for 2 weeks. This is gonna KILL me! :giggle

Having just come off a 'time out' because I was a judge I understand how Divamum is feeling right about now. It wasn't quite so bad for me , I had MC2 that I could participate in. But seeing all the threads and not being able to participate I was going a little :crazy .

So Divamum, here is a place for you to babble for the next 2 weeks.
Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."

Comments

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    hello?
    strangely quiet so far....
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Wow, now I know y'all care :bncry.gif:

Yeah, I know I"ve been babbling of late but honestly - my "real life" has been so difficult and stressful the last month that I think I'd have gone slightly mad without dgrin and the challenges as a place I could "create", but TOTALLY unrelated to the rest of my artistic world. And this last challenge was a particularly "chatty" one feedback-thread-wise, so I've been enjoying it.

Thanks y'all! I promise to behave. Honest I do. Really. :D

This can now be the catchall "coffeeshop" thread. All welcome. Have at it!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Diva, those should stur things up....go listen to some Metallica haha...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Oh
    muh
    guhhhh

Metallica? HA! So not me :)rolleyes1.gif

That said, we are an open-minded and mixed household here - the husband was on the road as a rock'n'roll musician for many years as well as a being a hard-core Medievalist AND post-modernist atonal kinda guy. ..... Our tastes are so ecclectic as to be laughable!!!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    YES! Another thread we have our utterly silly way with!

I move that we all keep Kiki sane too and move the discussion about languages here and mix it with everything else that comes to mind :D

So if Diva doesn't mind?
    pyry wrote:
    richtersl wrote:
    To add to Pyry's comment Finnish sounds like jibberish because it's not related to any other languages spoken in Europe (except Estonian and Hungarian).

There are no gender nouns like "he" or "she", which simplify things somewhat but then, everything and everyone is an "it". rolleyes1.gif

And Hungarian is a veeery far fetched relation. There is a group of languages other than Estonian and Finnish, but none of those are spoken widely.

Finnish has is a genderless third person pronoun 'hän', which translates as he or she depending on the context. However there is a tendency in spoken language to switch to 'se' (= 'it') even if that can sound a bit mean.
    liflander wrote:
    How do you say EXIF in Finnish?

'eksif'. Just dry the x up, if you're pronouncing it something like 'egsif'.
    richtersl wrote:
    No letter "x" in the Finnish alphabet. So I guess it would be "eksif". rolleyes1.gif Come to think of it, I don't think there's an "f", either....headscratch.gif. In that case it would be "eksiv". But then, Finns often like to add extra vowels at the end, so then it would become "eskiviä". :D

I'm sure that Pyry will chime in with the correct answer. rolleyes1.gif

We have an 'x' , how else would we ever find the spot? (The phoneme always written as 'ks' in native words - it's in the alphabet for compatibility basically)

'F' is there as well and actually gets some use occationally. Our alphabet is the same as in English with å, ä, and ö added, which then covers practically all spoken phonemes. Reading and pronouncing written words is very easy. There is a dialect that pronounces 'f' as 'v'.

eksifin eksifistä eksifiin eksifiä eksifiksi - confused yet? lol3.gif
    Divamum wrote:
    Presumably something like "ellllxiiiiiifyy" (Finnish always seems to be i's, l's and y's) :D :giggle

Pronounce this: 'kaksi jäätelötötteröä'. rolleyes1.gif
    (translation: two cones of ice cream)
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    YES! Another thread we have our utterly silly way with!

I move that we all keep Kiki sane and move the discussion about languages here and mix it with everything else that comes to mind :D

biggrinbounce2.gif

hyvä ajatus! :D (oh, how MUCH do I love the internet... nothing you can't find if you look hard enough... :)

Yeah, go for it - we don't have an OT forum here, so this can be a great catchall thread for all of us. Yippee!

And the Finnish ice cream cones now have me near appoplexy since I can't even START pronouncing that (I speak French, German, a bit of Italian and can pronounce Latin, Russian and Czech, but I've never needed to learn any of the Scandinavian languages, Hungarian or Finnish - except proper names, of course, which I ALWAYS make it my business to try and pronounce right, however clumsily)
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    hyvä ajatus!

:jawdrop
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    :jawdrop

naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    And the Finnish ice cream cones now have me near appoplexy since I can't even START pronouncing that (I speak French, German, a bit of Italian and can pronounce Latin, Russian and Czech, but I've never needed to learn any of the Scandinavian languages, Hungarian or Finnish - except proper names, of course, which I ALWAYS make it my business to try and pronounce right, however clumsily)

I'll let you off that one :D We can try saying it one day on the first sharp-but-occasionally-not-shooters meet-up.

The two ice-cream cones come from the teacher who tried (and failed) to teach me German. It was the favourite phrase in Finnish of one her German friends who came to Finland and learned it here. When the friend went back to Germany, the words 'Kaksi jäätelötötteröä' got spray painted onto the Berlin wall in letters the size of cats.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I'll let you off that one :D We can try saying it one day on the first sharp-but-occasionally-not-shooters meet-up.

The two ice-cream cones come from the teacher who tried (and failed) to teach me German. It was the favourite phrase in Finnish of one her German friends who came to Finland and learned it here. When the friend went back to Germany, the words 'Kaksi jäätelötötteröä' got spray painted onto the Berlin wall in letters the size of cats.

Actually, we should just have it printed on the other side of the SBONSS tshirts as an identifying marker :D

Here's my best guess using English phoneme spelling (and "oe" = German o umlaut)

Kah-ksee yaw-teh-l oe-t oe-teh-r oe-aw

I know, not even close but hey, I tried! :D
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Actually, we should just have it printed on the other side of the SBONSS tshirts as an identifying marker :D

Here's my best guess using English phoneme spelling (and "oe" = German o umlaut)

Kah-ksee yaw-teh-l oe-t oe-teh-r oe-aw

I know, not even close but hey, I tried! :D

You would have got your ice cream cones with that!
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Vie gehts? ne_nau.gif

Tchusch! :D:D:D
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Hey Aaron, where'd your post go?! I followed that link before you deleted it (and the Metallica one too!)?

I guess this is your thread too since you're also embargoed from #15. At least we can sit it out together! :)
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    no worries...i thought them to be unusual posts and people might get the wrong idea... thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    no worries...i thought them to be unusual posts and people might get the wrong idea... thumb.gif

The Orchestratic Metallica (No Leaf Clover) rocked. I play that video at every party.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 16, 2008
    Bon mouvement Aaron. Son facile pour d'autres pour penser que peu font une majorité. En réalité nous pouvons ne pas être aussi muets qu'ils pensent.
    (translation~Good move Aaron. Its easy for others to think that the few make a majority. In reality we may not be as dumb as they think.).
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    The Orchestratic Metallica (No Leaf Clover) rocked. I play that video at every party.

No Leaf Clover is by far my fav off the album.....

Diva, it is not done any justice from youtube & computer speakers....deal.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    Bon mouvement Aaron. Son facile pour d'autres pour penser que peu font une majorité. En réalité nous pouvons ne pas être aussi muets qu'ils pensent.
    (translation~Good move Aaron. Its easy for others to think that the few make a majority. In reality we may not be as dumb as they think.).

agreed, its easy to find the 5% that have not a clue....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Alright, since this is the Random and Totally OT thread:

Anybody have any good recipes for loose sausage? (We're on a Serious Budget Drive at the moment so NOTHING is allowed to be wasted and we have 1lb of it to use up!)

Have at it. :D
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    sounds like calzone time... so show us the best recipe for that....your the one we are trying to occupy:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    and post us a link to your fav song of all time....so we can listen
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    also, try to explain why there are so few that jump the boundries of forums? why do i only see some only in the challenge threads...?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    i was thinking of starting a "Where are they now?" thread...

a call out to members that just dont show up anymore....

like Satch, Seastack, LiquidAir...etc....i miss'em....

what do you think?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    divamum wrote:

Anybody have any good recipes for loose sausage? (We're on a Serious Budget Drive at the moment so NOTHING is allowed to be wasted and we have 1lb of it to use up!)

1pound sausage cooked with 1 small onion all browned and drained
    6 eggs beaten well
    1 cup bisquick
    2 cups shedded cheddar cheese
    1/4 stick butter
    pepper to your hearts content

spray glass 9x12 baking dish with cooking oil or coat with butter. Blend all the above ingredience and pour into baking dish. Cook at 350 degrees oven untill a toothpick or fork comes out of middle clean when tested. About 30 of 40 minutes.

ps...you didn't specify low calorie meal!
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    i was thinking of starting a "Where are they now?" thread...

a call out to members that just dont show up anymore....

like Satch, Seastack, LiquidAir...etc....i miss'em....

what do you think?

Oh you mean like this thread???
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=114039deal.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    divamum wrote:

I don't have a recipe for "loose sausage" - I even don't know what they are... headscratch.gif

... but I can give you a good recipe for beans and rice... rolleyes1.gif

Ah... I know... if you mean ground meat, make it meat balls - with beans and rice (cajun style) it will be delicious,
    ... or, just with spaghetti and Italian ragout -

mmm... I'm starting to get hungry :eat
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    divamum wrote:

Use it in a lasagne
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    6 eggs beaten well
    2 cups shedded cheddar cheese
    1/4 stick butter

I'll have some! :eat

I can, again, categorically state that target archery is really difficult when you have to shoot on an empty stomach. I just pulled off my first ever over 9 point average 30 arrow set and then lost it and slumped back 16 points over the next 30... (which is still the best 60 arrow set I think I've ever done at this distance).

Scorecard for the day, 18 meter indoor targets:
    54, 55, 54, 52, 57 = 272 (9,07)
    53, 51, 47, 55, 50 = 256 (8,53)
    total 528 (8,80)

But I digress, the back of my mind is singing the dwarven Gold-song as "Food food food food..."
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    But I digress, the back of my mind is singing the dwarven Gold-song as "Food food food food..."

I may adopt "Dwarven" as my favorite new word (it's dwarves, believe it or not, although some people think it's dwarfs. See Stephen Sondheim's musical "Into the Woods" for a HILARIOUS exchange about dwarfs re dwarves)
    Scorecard for the day, 18 meter indoor targets:
    54, 55, 54, 52, 57 = 272 (9,07)
    53, 51, 47, 55, 50 = 256 (8,53)
    total 528 (8,80)

So Pyry, does this mean that you particularly appreciated Jeff Meyers' entry this time out? :D

On the sausage front: Aaron's mention of calzone reminded me we haven't made pizza in a while so.... that's what we're having for dinner!! Mmmm...sausage and mushroom home made pizza yummmmmm...... I'll use the remainder of the meat in a breakfast casserole similar to the one JAG suggested and freeze it.

Favorite song of all time? The professional's answer: "Whichever one I'm singing tonight" :D

There, am I caught up now? :giggle