Options

The Keeping Divamum Sane Thread

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I've just shot Rudolph in the nose, and got 10 points for it lol3.gif

We had a pre-christmas shoot-out, with pictures of Christmas trees, silhouettes with apples on them, regular targets with silly values... And a foam fox and a red nosed deer (also foam). Fun :D

Hmm. Glowing shishkabobbed reindeer. This is all highly surreal :D
  • Options
    KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Hmm. Glowing shishkabobbed reindeer. This is all highly surreal :D

Where's Douglas Adams when you really need him... ;)
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    Where's Douglas Adams when you really need him... ;)

Oh dear... now I really WILL be laughing about this all night! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Oh dear... now I really WILL be laughing about this all night! rolleyes1.gif

Mission Accomplished! wings.gif
    Alan H.
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    Mission Accomplished! wings.gif

And it's not even Thursday ("I never could get the hang of Thursdays" :D)
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 17, 2008
    hmmm...I just noticed everyones post counters are stuck. diva yours is stuck on 666!:uhoh
    divamum
    Major grins

• Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    hmmm...I just noticed everyones post counters are stuck. diva yours is stuck on 666!:uhoh
    divamum
    Major grins

HA!!! Here ya go... let's see if it moves with this....

Tada:

divamum
    Major grins

:D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    HA!!! Here ya go... let's see if it moves with this....

Tada:

divamum
    Major grins

:D

clap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Actually, it would all have been lost on me alas eek7.gif - haven't been around these here parts long enough to know who ANY of them are by "sight"! (I know I joined in 2006, but that was only so I could use the search function and ask a couple of questions when I was shopping for my first dslr - which I didn't acutally BUY until 6 months after that - and I only started seriously reading this past summer, so I'm still a n00b by my standards!!)

:)

the idea was for you to spend time looking through shootout threads looking for this or that person...kind of a "wheres waldo"....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    the idea was for you to spend time looking through shootout threads looking for this or that person...kind of a "wheres waldo"....

See, Iw ould'nt even have known to look in "shootout" threads. Clueless I am, sometimes.... rolleyes1.gif

But now I'll know where to look for the next batch :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I'll have some! :eat

I can, again, categorically state that target archery is really difficult when you have to shoot on an empty stomach. I just pulled off my first ever over 9 point average 30 arrow set and then lost it and slumped back 16 points over the next 30... (which is still the best 60 arrow set I think I've ever done at this distance).

Scorecard for the day, 18 meter indoor targets:
    54, 55, 54, 52, 57 = 272 (9,07)
    53, 51, 47, 55, 50 = 256 (8,53)
    total 528 (8,80)

But I digress, the back of my mind is singing the dwarven Gold-song as "Food food food food..."

What do you shoot....bow wise.....I have an antique Ben Peason recurved recurve , an XI compound and a Matthews......we do not have an indoor range any longer....it seems with all the bowhunters and the few that actually get to try out for the olympics (yes we have produced some truly fine shooters here) that no one will support an indoor range....

I used to go to the invitational tourneys set my 80# PSE NOVa at 110# just to see the judges reactions to me shooting clear thru the running bear target or seeing the reaction of the shooter just in front of me when I robin hooded his shaft and i was shooting a naked bow......almost got banned when they found out I was over clocking the bow by 30 pounds........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    What do you shoot....bow wise.....I have an antique Ben Peason recurved recurve , an XI compound and a Matthews......we do not have an indoor range any longer....it seems with all the bowhunters and the few that actually get to try out for the olympics (yes we have produced some truly fine shooters here) that no one will support an indoor range....

Olympic recurve. There seems to be a surprising amount of archers here, I like that :D

For those of you who don't know what an olympic recurve looks like, I've got pictures here, and one more in action here.

I apologize for the lack of bent clocks in this post. Now if you will excuse me, I need go make a pot of really hot tea.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Now if you will excuse me, I need go make a pot of really hot tea.

iloveyou.gif Thank you for that!

Seriously, I think it's great that we have a "chitchat" thread - there's no OT forum at dgrin, so maybe a chitchat thread can become a permanent fixture and we can just start a new one when it gets too long (perhaps with a more generic header next time so it isn't seemingly "my" thread!!)

Btw, for HGGG fans, skip the movie, TV series and even the books (good though they are) - the place to go is the ORIGINAL BBC broadcasts that started it all (the first version, not the "cleaned up" one they did after it became popular, which is stone dead in comparison). It is without question one of the best things the Beeb ever put out.

And if you like that, you may also like "The Wordsmiths at Gorsemere" which came out around the same time - it seems to have been a "golden age" of BBC radio drama!) (It's an affectionate parody of Dorothy Wordsworth's diaries which has far less to do with poetry than out and out, brilliant radio-drama humour. It's *brilliant*.)

Sorrry. Family worked in broadcasting. It's a passion :)
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    For those of you who don't know what an olympic recurve looks like, I've got pictures here, and one more in action here.
    PS That is a deeply scary looking piece of equipment!!!!! :uhoh :)
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    PS That is a deeply scary looking piece of equipment!!!!! :uhoh :)

It's not so bad once you get to know it a little. And by that I mean see it in real life lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    there's no OT forum at dgrin
    really?

The Big Picture (13 Viewing)
    If you need to ask, it belongs here.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Btw, for HGGG fans, skip the movie, TV series and even the books (good though they are) - the place to go is the ORIGINAL BBC broadcasts that started it all (the first version, not the "cleaned up" one they did after it became popular, which is stone dead in comparison). It is without question one of the best things the Beeb ever put out.

"Space travel is a little like being drunk"

"What's wrong with being drunk?"

"Ask a glass of water."

Still have the original on video tape.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    really?

The Big Picture (13 Viewing)
    If you need to ask, it belongs here.

Well there ya go - a big fat d'OOOHHHH from me, because I missed that somehow (I think the sub-heading made me think it was a "help" forum and I never even checked in to see) Thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    KevXman wrote:
    "Space travel is a little like being drunk"

"What's wrong with being drunk?"

"Ask a glass of water."

Still have the original on video tape.

The TV series was made quite a few years after the original radio broadcasts - trust me, you want to hear those originals. If you can't find them, pm me and I'll make sure you can track 'em down! :)
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    I rather liked the movie, thank you very much... :D
    Alan H.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    I rather liked the movie, thank you very much... :D

Ah, but had you heard the radio originals? :D

Actually, I haven't seen the movie yet - I really must. But like anything you really loved in another medium first, there's always a bit of trepidation that it might not live up to your expectations! But a good reminder - maybe I'll treat myself over the holidays :)
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    what are you talking about? what movie?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    what are you talking about? what movie?

The HGGG movie... had Mos Def as Ford Prefect and Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox. Incredibly surreal, but fun. :D
    Alan H.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    The HGGG movie... had Mos Def as Ford Prefect and Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox. Incredibly surreal, but fun. :D

Surreal indeed...!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    the bum
    Honest Story: (Not for the non hunter) A friend of mine, at Snoqualmie Pass, WA, bought a compound bow, and over the summer he practiced. He applied for all his hunting permits/licenses the next year. He got/shot his early season doe. A buck mid season. He even got an 800# Elk, but (unknown to most) shot across a paved road (illegal), and then got the ski area to use there boom truck to hoist it from a swamp, never having to carry a quarter carcass (of his catch) at a time out, of the Forrest, like most. Then he got his black tail. Remember, first year bow hunter. He also dropped a smaller black bear sow (mama), first year. Then, believe it or not, he won the lottery to get a goat off of the mountain side. Only a limited number are issued in Washington, and he got one. He didn't go for the goat, whoo, whoo. Sound bad? It is. He didn't have kids to feed, no wife to feed, ate more than his share at the restaurant he worked at, and on top of that, didn't even own a deep freeze. I cringed at his gains that winter on the mountain. That's the dude that shot the arrow into the air above my head. The locals sent him off of the mountain at 'terminal velocity'...the speed his arrow would have hit me, if I had been in the wrong spot, when his straight up, came straight down. Scary dude.

And to keep with smugmugs mission, a photo from today:

Mama schooling a son on broken fences.

439573327_vWzRN-L.jpg
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I'm so lost! My computer was down all week, and I have no idea why this thread started. I think I get the idea of what it's about- anything. But why does Divamum need keeping sane?

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    I'm so lost! My computer was down all week, and I have no idea why this thread started. I think I get the idea of what it's about- anything. But why does Divamum need keeping sane?

Caroline

As a judge for #15, I'm banned from the usual discussions and feedback pow-wows - achambers took pity on me and gave me my very own thread in which to babble! It's become the Challenge Forum "coffee shop thread" .... ie chitchat, banter and just about anything goes :)
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008

Caroline

I think it's for fun.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 20, 2008

Caroline

If she's anything like me, it's far too late to keep sane... eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Alan H.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    A childrens patch, say, eh.
    Growing with Dgrin