Options

The Keeping Divamum Sane Thread

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    As a judge for #15, I'm banned from the usual discussions and feedback pow-wows - achambers took pity on me and gave me my very own thread in which to babble! It's become the Challenge Forum "coffee shop thread" .... ie chitchat, banter and just about anything goes :)

AHHH. Thanks, for the explanation.

Do I get to rant about my computer problems while I'm here? My mac went white last Saturday night. I seem to have it working now, after restoring the system, but for a while my computer thought it didn't have a hard drive. So I couldn't restore or reinstall or anything until I got it to recognize the HD. It was quite frustrating. My warranty expired about two weeks ago, too. I'm not a computer person at all.

I did photos with Santa (pro bono) at my preschool on Monday and had to just get photos printed straight out of camera so the parents would have something. I'm so relieved to finally be able to do some editing and get them uploaded to smugmug.

Now my whole family is on winter break for the next few weeks, so maybe I'll get a chance to do more shooting for fun.

Caroline
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Ew, sorry to hear about the computer problems, Caroline. That totally sucks, especially with the Santa shoot. Very stressful! But, I bet you did great anyway, and it saved you oodles of time not having to nitpick tweak every one (at least that's what I tend to do!).
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    I did photos with Santa (pro bono) at my preschool on Monday and had to just get photos printed straight out of camera so the parents would have something. I'm so relieved to finally be able to do some editing and get them uploaded to smugmug.

Now my whole family is on winter break for the next few weeks, so maybe I'll get a chance to do more shooting for fun.

Caroline

Big ouch on the computer! But I stand in awe of having shooting skills strong enough to print sooc for other people. I'm getting there, but I'd be afraid to do that still (and I feel a terrible need to overshoot, too - I just don't trust my viewfinder eye enough yet...)

Ah yes, winter break. The hard part is the transitions I find - takes a few days to get used to ALL of us being together ALL the time again (it's a small house), and then when everybody goes back it's way too quiet and we don't get to do the fun stuff any more!

Btw, I was thinking about you (Caroline) yesterday - I'm making my first efforts at self portraits and kept thinking of those nice ones you posted a few weeks back. I want some lights! :)
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    AHHH. Thanks, for the explanation.

Do I get to rant about my computer problems while I'm here? My mac went white last Saturday night. I seem to have it working now, after restoring the system, but for a while my computer thought it didn't have a hard drive. So I couldn't restore or reinstall or anything until I got it to recognize the HD. It was quite frustrating. My warranty expired about two weeks ago, too. I'm not a computer person at all.

Caroline

Yikes! I had similar issues (non-mac!) following a snowstorm and it's power outages here a week or so ago. To add insult to injury I run a RAID 0 array (Im not explaining that!) where my op system and applications reside. I ended up having to go in and install the drivers for the RAID controller on the motherboard and also lay down a dupe operating system to get it to revive...and recognize all my hard drives. It really sucked...and I had surgery this week which although gave me time to straighten the thing out...I really didnt feel like it.

I learned my lesson on data security before this upset. All Data is stored on SATA drives that are used ONLY for storage. I could easily move these to a new computer. In addition, I have a few external drives that I back up to regularly. One for personal photos, and another for files related to hired work.

Good luck!:D
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yikes! I had similar issues (non-mac!) following a snowstorm and it's power outages here a week or so ago. To add insult to injury I run a RAID 0 array (Im not explaining that!) where my op system and applications reside. I ended up having to go in and install the drivers for the RAID controller on the motherboard and also lay down a dupe operating system to get it to revive...and recognize all my hard drives. It really sucked...and I had surgery this week which although gave me time to straighten the thing out...I really didnt feel like it.

I learned my lesson on data security before this upset. All Data is stored on SATA drives that are used ONLY for storage. I could easily move these to a new computer. In addition, I have a few external drives that I back up to regularly. One for personal photos, and another for files related to hired work.

Good luck!:D

Another ouch -for computer AND you! Hope you're feeling better...

I'm debating what to do about backup at the moment. I seem to be working almost exclusively on this laptop right now since this new one has a card reader, and have wound up only storing on the built-in hard drive instead of the external drives we use on the desktop. I'd love to network the whole system, but EVERY SINGLE TIME we have done that we've either wound up succuminbing to one to one of the security issues in Windows or not getting it to work with all three computers in the house, or some other glitch so we gave up. Mayber I'll try again over the holiday.

So I guess I'll to start burning the pictures to DVDs now (note to self...) - I really should have partitioned the (large) drive when I got this thing, but I wasn't planning on keeping vista and "only tried it out". To my surprise, I liked it, and now have too much stored on it to justify partitioning via format (is there a way of doing it WITHOUT formattin? If so, then I could take a chunk and use that for dedicated storage... hmmm...)

In the meantime, off to go sing Messiah this afternoon. Last gig of the season. Nice to survive this month - December is VERY busy time for all musicians, but also opera's biggest audition period - all the companies descend on NYC and hold auditions for forthcoming seasons.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Another ouch -for computer AND you! Hope you're feeling better...

I'm debating what to do about backup at the moment. I seem to be working almost exclusively on this laptop right now since this new one has a card reader, and have wound up only storing on the built-in hard drive instead of the external drives we use on the desktop. I'd love to network the whole system, but EVERY SINGLE TIME we have done that we've either wound up succuminbing to one to one of the security issues in Windows or not getting it to work with all three computers in the house, or some other glitch so we gave up. Mayber I'll try again over the holiday.

So I guess I'll to start burning the pictures to DVDs now (note to self...) - I really should have partitioned the (large) drive when I got this thing, but I wasn't planning on keeping vista and "only tried it out". To my surprise, I liked it, and now have too much stored on it to justify partitioning via format (is there a way of doing it WITHOUT formattin? If so, then I could take a chunk and use that for dedicated storage... hmmm...)

In the meantime, off to go sing Messiah this afternoon. Last gig of the season. Nice to survive this month - December is VERY busy time for all musicians, but also opera's biggest audition period - all the companies descend on NYC and hold auditions for forthcoming seasons.

DVD's or CDROM are fine for "temporary" storage. They won't last forever. In my opinion, they are safer than storing on a laptop. You realize that most hardware issues with a laptop will require you to send it to the manufacturer. The first thing they will tell you is that there is a chance you will lose all your data.

The best advice is safety in numbers.

In my o.p. I didnt say that most of the photos that are important to me or my clients are also stored on smugmug's servers. That's a plus.

External harddrives aren't foolproof either. They are more trustworthy than a dvd/cd.

I prefer internal sata drives. It would be easy to move them to a new pc, or an external enclosure that will accept them. They are also, perhaps, the cheapest solution if you look at the $/gigabyte aspect.

As for my surgery, I am in some pain....maybe even more than I was directly following the procedure. I am hoping it will pass soon. I am planning to brew up my annual Christmas seafood gumbo and have already spent the required fortune on ingredients. (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    DVD's or CDROM are fine for "temporary" storage. They won't last forever. quote]

You're not kidding. We have a huge collection of commercial CD's, and hubby is just starting to see the first wave of disks which are deteriorating beyond use; it's nothing like the "permanent" medium it was thought it would be. It's even worse with non-commercial disks.

I considered putting some extra storage into the desktop via internal disks, but eventually took the "easy" option with external drives. I need to do a significant backup on those as I'm behind with my sound-file backups, too.

Hmm, sounds like I'm going to have busy holiday! Needs doing - it's one of those things that if you don't build it into a routine it is soooo easy to let it slide which tends to bite one in the proverbial! This discussion is a good reminder - thanks. nod.gif
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    My mac went white last Saturday night. I seem to have it working now, after restoring the system, but for a while my computer thought it didn't have a hard drive. So I couldn't restore or reinstall or anything until I got it to recognize the HD. It was quite frustrating. My warranty expired about two weeks ago, too. I'm not a computer person at all.

My daughter needs to read this. Her boyfriend has her convinced that macs never have problems...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Honest Story: (Not for the non hunter) A friend of mine, at Snoqualmie Pass, WA, bought a compound bow, and over the summer he practiced. He applied for all his hunting permits/licenses the next year. He got/shot his early season doe. A buck mid season. He even got an 800# Elk, but (unknown to most) shot across a paved road (illegal), and then got the ski area to use there boom truck to hoist it from a swamp, never having to carry a quarter carcass (of his catch) at a time out, of the Forrest, like most. Then he got his black tail. Remember, first year bow hunter. He also dropped a smaller black bear sow (mama), first year. Then, believe it or not, he won the lottery to get a goat off of the mountain side. Only a limited number are issued in Washington, and he got one. He didn't go for the goat, whoo, whoo. Sound bad? It is. He didn't have kids to feed, no wife to feed, ate more than his share at the restaurant he worked at, and on top of that, didn't even own a deep freeze. I cringed at his gains that winter on the mountain. That's the dude that shot the arrow into the air above my head. The locals sent him off of the mountain at 'terminal velocity'...the speed his arrow would have hit me, if I had been in the wrong spot, when his straight up, came straight down. Scary dude.

And to keep with smugmugs mission, a photo from today:

Mama schooling a son on broken fences.

439573327_vWzRN-L.jpg

thats is very odd with the bum....."some people"rolleyes1.gif is all i can say

and as for this image, who are these two?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    And to keep with smugmugs mission, a photo from today:

Mama schooling a son on broken fences.

439573327_vWzRN-L.jpg

Wow - great pic, and such intelligence in the animals' faces... Beautiful!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    thats is very odd with the bum....."some people"rolleyes1.gif is all i can say

and as for this image, who are these two?
    Those are two of my dogs, walking on my property (I will fix the fence, one day:D). A mother/son team, Kenai, and Angus McOgg. Here's another of Angus from yesterday.

439573845_bGRGJ-S.jpg

And Kenai making a snow angel.

439573059_3av9z-S.jpg

OK I promise no more shameless shots of my family!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    My daughter needs to read this. Her boyfriend has her convinced that macs never have problems...

So, last night when I went to bed everything seemed fine. Then I woke up to a frozen computer again. When I finally decided I needed to restart and try the disc utilities, my HD was "missing" again. After hours of troubleshooting, my HD finally showed up in disc utility first aid. I was able to run a disc repair successfully and a permissions repair. This was something I hadn't been able to do earlier this week. So, this time, I didn't have to restore from back up or completely reinstall. It makes me hopeful that I've finally resolved the issue. I was also able to select the HD as the start up while I was doing the disc utility thing from the install disc, which I wasn't able to do yesterday before restoring from backup.

I'll cross my fingers and let you know how it goes.

Here's a Santa pic.

439755621_dCMha-L.jpg

And one with a kid.

439762210_s8zDD-L.jpg

I had little control over the set up. We were in an ugly church gym. They taped a red plastic table cloth to the wall as a background and brought in a tree. All in all, they turned out pretty well.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    I had little control over the set up. We were in an ugly church gym. They taped a red plastic table cloth to the wall as a background and brought in a tree. All in all, they turned out pretty well.

Caroline

The pix are adorable! Very nice indeed.

HOpe the computer is settling down!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    ~looks at watch~

~taps foot~

~picks up newspaper~

~looks at watch again~

~walks around restlessly~

What, like you're all out, yanno, shooting pictures so you can discuss #15? :Geez. Anybody would think you had lives or something :crazy :giggle

The deafening silence has forced me into messing around with taking portraits and seeking refuge in the people forum.....!!

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    What, like you're all out, yanno, shooting pictures so you can discuss #15? :Geez. Anybody would think you had lives or something :crazy :giggle

I was gonna pack my cameras and go into town just now. Idea was indeed to try something for DSS 15 - and shoot the traditional Christmas illuminations in IR :D

And then grab something to eat, maybe with an Old Rosie afterwards.

Yeah, all this sounds way better than importing thesis references into Refworks lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    i keep checking in...i keep having dreams... i miss the close of dss15 and everyone is waiting on me....
    i know what day it is....but i better check in everyday just incase i got it wrong....hahaha....
    kinda like shooting 20 braketed exposures to make sure i got the exposure right, when the entire time it was my focus that was off....(you know im blind in one eye and cant see out the other, right?)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Computer was up again, and then down. I'm so bummed. It makes me not want to take any photos since I can't put them on my computer. All I want for Christmas is my Mac to wake up. I had been hoping to have more time for photography over the break.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Computer was up again, and then down. I'm so bummed. It makes me not want to take any photos since I can't put them on my computer. All I want for Christmas is my Mac to wake up. I had been hoping to have more time for photography over the break.

Caroline

Back up everything you can and send it in for service. It's only going to get worse and ruin more than your day.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    i keep checking in...i keep having dreams... i miss the close of dss15 and everyone is waiting on me....
    i know what day it is....but i better check in everyday just incase i got it wrong....hahaha....
    kinda like shooting 20 braketed exposures to make sure i got the exposure right, when the entire time it was my focus that was off....(you know im blind in one eye and cant see out the other, right?)

I don't know where I'd be without autofocus these days either!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Things learned today:

Infrared makes people in street scenes look like ghosts.

Illuminations built with LEDs are veeery dim through an R72.

Christmas window displays lend themselves to nice cheery portraits.

Chicken fajita with a dark lager is really tasty :eat

... and the check-list shirt need to have an entry about knowing what's in your own bag. I just found a missing battery that had simply velcroed itself to the bottom of my small bag. Not to mention that I left home without a camera strap.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Everything is backed up thanks to Time Machine. I'm worried about how much it'll cost to take it in. I know, I know... I should just get over it. The hardware test says the hardware is fine. I've been able to repair disk and repair permissions. But it keeps freezing and forgetting it has a hard drive.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Everything is backed up thanks to Time Machine. I'm worried about how much it'll cost to take it in. I know, I know... I should just get over it. The hardware test says the hardware is fine. I've been able to repair disk and repair permissions. But it keeps freezing and forgetting it has a hard drive.

Caroline

Don't Mac have superduper service for that kind of stuff? I thought that was one of the attractions? (I'm a pc girl through'n'through, but my Macintologist friends always rave about the tech bar, so...)

Good luck with it - we had absurd problems with our desktop back in the spring, wound up having to reinstall the OS several times and it was just a prime nuissance. I feel your pain!
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Don't Mac have superduper service for that kind of stuff? I thought that was one of the attractions? (I'm a pc girl through'n'through, but my Macintologist friends always rave about the tech bar, so...)

My warranty just ran out weeks ago, so I think I have to pay for any tech support. I've been trying all the troubleshooting advice on the Apple website, and also the discussion threads, but nothing keeps my computer up. Never had trouble before, so of course now that the warranty has expired...Blah.

I looked at your self portraits. Congratulations on your courage. I know how hard that was for me. I won't comment on the photos yet since I can only see them on my husband's laptop and not my pretty Mac screen.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Some thanks to Caroline,

I know you are frustrated with that mac attack but still...

Reading your frustrations and the ensuing discussions about file storage and back-ups in general have led me to an epiphany moment as far as my wedding photography clients are concerned.

From now on...
    Instead of CDROM or DVD to hold the files they buy, I will present the files to them on one of those sexy little Western Digital Passport drives. Pity they don't come smaller than 160GB, but for less than $70, I think it will make for safer storage AND also a class act at presentation time.

nod.gif ...there are even the little sleeve thingys for them that I can get my sister-in-law to monogram for me. This is gonna be suweeeet!

...I hope you get things sorted out soon. In my opinion, the only thing more aggravating than computer problems is car troubles.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Instead of CDROM or DVD to hold the files they buy, I will present the files to them on one of those sexy little Western Digital Passport drives.

Umm, I'd hate to burst your bubble, but you are aware that a portable HD can be ruined just by dropping it off a table, yes? As a customer I'd be perfectly happy with a dvd.

It's not a bad idea though, now that I'm thinking about it as I write this, but you will have to serve as off-site backup for your clients :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Can I just say, I've just been reminded of one my favourite things.

I opened a fresh pack of Earl Grey tea last night. The smell is intoxicating, it floated faintly around in my kitchen even while the leaves were floating around the pot.

That cupful was a delight iloveyou.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Can I just say, I've just been reminded of one my favourite things.

I opened a fresh pack of Earl Grey tea last night. The smell is intoxicating, it floated faintly around in my kitchen even while the leaves were floating around the pot.

That cupful was a delight iloveyou.gif

Pyry, have I mentioned that your posts always make me smile? nod.gif

Love the sound of the Christmas lights as well - care to share some of the #15 "rejects" so we get a glimpse of a country I bet most of us know little about? :D

Fajitas and beer. Mmmm... good combbination... (although not at 8.13 am. Right now the fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee is just the thing!! And yes, I did check the weather report as well :)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Some thanks to Caroline,

I know you are frustrated with that mac attack but still...

Reading your frustrations and the ensuing discussions about file storage and back-ups in general have led me to an epiphany moment as far as my wedding photography clients are concerned.

From now on...
    Instead of CDROM or DVD to hold the files they buy, I will present the files to them on one of those sexy little Western Digital Passport drives. Pity they don't come smaller than 160GB, but for less than $70, I think it will make for safer storage AND also a class act at presentation time.

nod.gif ...there are even the little sleeve thingys for them that I can get my sister-in-law to monogram for me. This is gonna be suweeeet!

...I hope you get things sorted out soon. In my opinion, the only thing more aggravating than computer problems is car troubles.

Good Luck!

I have to say that even though I would share pyry's fear of a bump or drop possibly being a problem, that is one CLASSY idea!! I wonder what other options there are that step beyond the dvd and could present a little "special" like that?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Pyry, have I mentioned that your posts always make me smile? nod.gif

Why thank you :D
    divamum wrote:
    Love the sound of the Christmas lights as well - care to share some of the #15 "rejects" so we get a glimpse of a country I bet most of us know little about? :D

Fajitas and beer. Mmmm... good combbination... (although not at 8.13 am. Right now the fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee is just the thing!! And yes, I did check the weather report as well :)

You're not feeling left out are you? :giggle
    I shot those lights in IR and posted them in OCS as 'Christmas ghosts' - should be Safe For Judges, while I waffle with my entry :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 23, 2008
    pyry wrote:

You're not feeling left out are you? :giggle
    I shot those lights in IR and posted them in OCS as 'Christmas ghosts' - should be Safe For Judges, while I waffle with my entry :D

mmmmmmm....a hot belgium waffle with melted butter and warm maple syrup and a cup o coffee sounds good about now! This thread talks about way to much food. You all are making it hard to get through the season without tempting me to eating myself into a new dress size!:eat