Options

The Catchall Thread

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Woot! Thanks for the list. Definitely a few places I wasn't aware of and need to check out. :D
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Those kittens are very lovely (insert KITTY! for full effect :D Kerry, you and my daughter have corrupted me for life, as I will now never be able to see a cat - live or photographed - without seeing that word!

Mission accomplished :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Pyry wrote:
    Mission accomplished :D

:giggle

On a different note....

The conversations and inspiring galleries in this thread have prompted me to try the "Photo a Day" exercise. I don't imagine I'll be able to create something on all 365 of 2009, but I like the idea so ... here goes!
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    On a different note....

The conversations and inspiring galleries in this thread have prompted me to try the "Photo a Day" exercise. I don't imagine I'll be able to create something on all 365 of 2009, but I like the idea so ... here goes!

Daunting challenge that, I admire your bravery! :D

And now for something, completely different...

I had a very interesting ride today. A group of us responsible for running the local students' equestrian club went for a ride in the woods at one the riding schools we have a lot of lessons at. Most of the group has experience spanning half a lifetime and I'm there tagging along with one year of experience and a lot of enthusiasm. So I ask for the safest horse...

What I got was a level-headed, sure-footed, handsome Finnhorse stallion.
    There I was, someone who likes easy going mares, staring down a stallion.

Tricky to handle in the stable and around other horses when standing around, but in the trails bringing up the rear, cool as a cucumber he was. Except the bit where we had to space out to get a good gallop going - I think we gave the sound barrier a run for it's money catching up. Fun! :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Daunting challenge that, I admire your bravery! :D

And now for something, completely different...

I had a very interesting ride today. A group of us responsible for running the local students' equestrian club went for a ride in the woods at one the riding schools we have a lot of lessons at. Most of the group has experience spanning half a lifetime and I'm there tagging along with one year of experience and a lot of enthusiasm. So I ask for the safest horse...

What I got was a level-headed, sure-footed, handsome Finnhorse stallion.
    There I was, someone who likes easy going mares, staring down a stallion.

Tricky to handle in the stable and around other horses when standing around, but in the trails bringing up the rear, cool as a cucumber he was. Except the bit where we had to space out to get a good gallop going - I think we gave the sound barrier a run for it's money catching up. Fun! :D

Heeeheeee! What fun. Of course, stallions are often just fine... unless/until they get a whiff of a mare! Actually, I had a gelding who'd been on the track and wasn't cut until late and he was more stallion-ish than a few of the real thing I knew. He was a pain, actually, but uebertalented over fences so we put up with his quirks (most stubborn horse I EVER worked with and he HAD to be made to think that "giving in" was his own idea, so boy he was hard work sometimes...)

So... did you get any pictures?! And where's a submission for #16 ~taps foot~ :D
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Heeeheeee! What fun. Of course, stallions are often just fine... unless/until they get a whiff of a mare! Actually, I had a gelding who'd been on the track and wasn't cut until late and he was more stallion-ish than a few of the real thing I knew. He was a pain, actually, but uebertalented over fences so we put up with his quirks (most stubborn horse I EVER worked with and he HAD to be made to think that "giving in" was his own idea, so boy he was hard work sometimes...)

So... did you get any pictures?! And where's a submission for #16 ~taps foot~ :D

Köyhis took 30 minutes to go from "Who the **** are you?" to pudding mode (but he did, almost completely :D).

No pictures, I didn't even carry a camera. There wasn't too many photo opportunities either as we went through some fairly tricky grounds. My jacket is streaked with spruce resin :D

I've just posted my challenge entry. I've been pretty busy and only barely managed the time to shoot it just now, which I admit does show a little.
    Now I have to make sure I've packed everything and get some sleep, I'll be away from home till Friday.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    sooooooooo ...now that I am guest judging the next round...whos going to keep all my creative energy busy???eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    sooooooooo ...now that I am guest judging the next round...whos going to keep all my creative energy busy???eek7.gif

Heeheee..... We'll have to keep you occupied somehow. How's the weather in the frozen north? It's pretty darned parky where I am right now, so I can only imagine what it's like up there - brrrr!
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Heeheee..... We'll have to keep you occupied somehow. How's the weather in the frozen north? It's pretty darned parky where I am right now, so I can only imagine what it's like up there - brrrr!

Today the temp when up almost 40 degrees! It was -20f for almost 3 weeks and today with was +20f! So this heatwave is expected to be around for a few days with some snow in the near future.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Today the temp when up almost 40 degrees! It was -20f for almost 3 weeks and today with was +20f! So this heatwave is expected to be around for a few days with some snow in the near future.

Wow - that's about what it is here today (which is COLD for this part of the world). I'm thankful that our home has small rooms and is fairly snug - easier to heat!
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Wow - that's about what it is here today (which is COLD for this part of the world). I'm thankful that our home has small rooms and is fairly snug - easier to heat!

we had rain all last night! What a change!...made all the roads turn glassy smooth. The canceled school cause the busses cannot get out of the bus barn! Its 41f degrees. This is so unuasual of weather as the subzero for 3 weeks was!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    You must have sent your cold weather our way. :D It's 23 degrees here in Princeton, NJ where I work. On Thursday night our temperatures are supposed to drop into the single digits.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    i just had some homemade breakfast burritos on my patio with a t-shirt/shorts/sandals on...

oh and sun glasses too....

i just hate how my green grass turns to an off green color during january....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009
    i just had some homemade breakfast burritos on my patio with a t-shirt/shorts/sandals on...

:smack :D
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2009

You need some better grass, man. We have properly green grass all the way up here.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    What I wouldn't give to see green grass, all i see is WHITE... I love the snow, but enough already.:bash
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Okay, the weather forcast here for tomorrow.....-15 degrees (actual temp)! Then factor in the windchills of 30 mph,, uh yeah, you do the math!
    I need a vacation!!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    I heard that the lower 48 was having low temps. We had it for so long...but now we are up in the 40's and this is like summer weather! Pinnapple express is what its called...coming up from the south. Such unusual weather for Janurary.

:cavig
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I heard that the lower 48 was having low temps. We had it for so long...but now we are up in the 40's and this is like summer weather! Pinnapple express is what its called...coming up from the south. Such unusual weather for Janurary.

:cavig

Yeah I can't stop cracking up because they closed the schools when it rained! and everywhere else they close it for the snow.

By my calculations we have had a 70 degree temp change in one week! Yea! We could keep going and I would be even happier! I am so happy to send my kids outside to play!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Okay, the weather forcast here for tomorrow.....-15 degrees (actual temp)! Then factor in the windchills of 30 mph,, uh yeah, you do the math!
    I need a vacation!!!

They were just talking about the cold temps in Illinois on the news this morning. YIKES! :eek1

It's snowing here as we speak and all that cold is headed our way for this evening.
  • Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Minus 30 here, factor in wind we got minus 54 oh joy, by Sunday it gonna be 40 plus.... I cant wait.wings.gifivar
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Kwarta wrote:
    Minus 30 here, factor in wind we got minus 54 oh joy, by Sunday it gonna be 40 plus.... I cant wait.wings.gifivar

Okay I no longer feel sorry for myself:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Okay I no longer feel sorry for myself:D

Geez, yer not kidding - and we''re whinging about 14 degrees here on the East coast today?

Stay WARM folks - I'd say "take lots of pictures" but I guess digital cameras aren't too happy in those kinds of temps so I guess we'll all just bundle up inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Alaska is so backward! 45 degrees plus and the schools are still shut down!eek7.gif

On a different topic. I have $150 to spend on camera equiptment. I have macro extentions, polerizers, sb800, Nikon D300 (with battery pack), D50 and coolpix. Nikkor 18mm-55mm, sigma 55mm-200mm, and a tameron 200mm-500mm. I have two lighting sets with umbrellas (one hot toungsten and the other flash...that doesn't work as I think the power pack fritzed on me) and 2 trypods and 1 monopod. I have one black background and one white one...both homeade. A handydany backpack on wheels that carries both cameras and all lenses plus flash and any little extra goodies.

There is a lot out there and I am like a kid in the candy shop when it comes to trying to stay focus. So can someone tell me what they would buy with this money...looking at the list of stuff I already have. What is a must for now...or should I wait and save to buy something bigger? Like a AF 700mm maybe? Or a CS4 with lightroom?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Alaska is so backward! 45 degrees plus and the schools are still shut down!eek7.gif

On a different topic. I have $150 to spend on camera equiptment.

v

Do I officially get to hate you? :D:D:D (just kidding... pure envy, nothing more!)

I guess the question has to be: when you're out shooting, what do you always think, 'DANG if only I'd had {fill in the blank}" or, "Wow, there MUST be a way of doing {fill in the blank} easier than this - isn't there a tool to help?". Granted, my kit is still pretty basic thus my shopping list is still pretty huge (aargh - this is NOT a cheap pasttime!), but even so - that's how I'm triaging my selections. Except of course when I read about something in here and then start getting gear lust for things i didn't even know about a couple of days before..... :giggle

Have fun spending! Can't wait to see what people suggest for you :D
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Well, the 50mm f/1.4 is outside your price range, but the f/1.8 isn't. I know you have the range covered, but have you tried a prime versus zoom lens? I love my nifty fifty. :D

With all that lighting, do you have flags and grids and other fun light modifiers? Granted, these things are also easily homemade, but I'm frankly tired of making my own and am looking at buying some to save myself some hassle.

If you wait a little longer, you can invest in the new RadioPoppers JrX system for some wireless lighting fun. mwink.gif

(Can you tell that I've been shopping, too?)
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Do I officially get to hate you? :D:D:D (just kidding... pure envy, nothing more!)

I guess the question has to be: when you're out shooting, what do you always think, 'DANG if only I'd had {fill in the blank}" or, "Wow, there MUST be a way of doing {fill in the blank} easier than this - isn't there a tool to help?"....

Well....lately I have been really frustated with my pspX2. For all the bogging down it does when I am working with it....it doesn't do all that I want it to do (that I thought it would do before I bought it). Like work with cmyk and let me adjust those levels. It only lets me adjust rgb. Another thing I want is a calibrator...but I have such a long list of stuff I don't know what to start with.

I guess prioritizing is my biggest downfall. So much stuff....

As for studio lighting stuff. I am not sure that I need much more stuff....although I have thought a soft box would be nice. I use umbrellas for everything.

I think I might save up for the CS4 with lightroom. A friend of mine suggested I buy an older version then upgrade...that it would be cheaper that way. I still have to look it up but I thought that was a great idea. Oh and I would love to have a wacom tablet!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Well....lately I have been really frustated with my pspX2. For all the bogging down it does when I am working with it....it doesn't do all that I want it to do (that I thought it would do before I bought it). Like work with cmyk and let me adjust those levels. It only lets me adjust rgb. Another thing I want is a calibrator...but I have such a long list of stuff I don't know what to start with.

I guess prioritizing is my biggest downfall. So much stuff....

As for studio lighting stuff. I am not sure that I need much more stuff....although I have thought a soft box would be nice. I use umbrellas for everything.

I think I might save up for the CS4 with lightroom. A friend of mine suggested I buy an older version then upgrade...that it would be cheaper that way. I still have to look it up but I thought that was a great idea. Oh and I would love to have a wacom tablet!

I'm so lucky on software - once I started seriously getting into this in the autumn, my dh got me copies of both CS3 and Lightroom via his work - I'd still be using psp 9 (or GIMP) otherwise.... While I liked PSP - and, in fact, there are still a handful of things I think it does quicker than PS - the algorithms in PS really seem to do some jobs more efficiently and just better. And lightroom is just a great tool - I think you'd be delighted with both of them!

My next MUST HAVE purchase is a calibrator. It was actually on my post-Christmas shopping list, but then I got a chance to buy a like-new (less than 2 months old) Tamron 17-50 for $300 (including a UV and polarizing filter) which was such a no-brainer that I decided to go ahead with that instead. Even though it means that a calibrator is indefinitely delayed, it was absolutely worth it - that piece of glass has opened up a whole new world for me.... :)
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm so lucky on software - once I started seriously getting into this in the autumn, my dh got me copies of both CS3 and Lightroom via his work - I'd still be using psp 9 (or GIMP) otherwise.... While I liked PSP - and, in fact, there are still a handful of things I think it does quicker than PS - the algorithms in PS really seem to do some jobs more efficiently and just better. And lightroom is just a great tool - I think you'd be delighted with both of them!

My next MUST HAVE purchase is a calibrator. It was actually on my post-Christmas shopping list, but then I got a chance to buy a like-new (less than 2 months old) Tamron 17-50 for $300 (including a UV and polarizing filter) which was such a no-brainer that I decided to go ahead with that instead. Even though it means that a calibrator is indefinitely delayed, it was absolutely worth it - that piece of glass has opened up a whole new world for me.... :)

Take a look at this.... HERE. if I get it (the 6x11) I can get the option to upgrade the bundle to a CS4 for only 3OO bucks. Considering I do not have any adobe editing software and CS4 would cost over 600...this might be a really good deal and get me tow of the wishlist stuff in one!
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    In my town if there's any snow in the forecast within a week, the stores all sell out of bread, eggs, and milk. Kind of goes along with all those hoop skirts the ladies wear.

I myself just make sure to visit the abc...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..