Options

dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    :nono you have to pedal there on a 1960's era schwinn lol3.gif
    Sorry, my Schwinn Phantom stays home for this trip.

Mrs. David_S85 has just asked what there is for the spouses to do while we're out baking in the sun and hiking up cliffs with 25 lbs. of gear (which she doesn't want to do). What activities did the spouses do on the last shootout? Or were they enslaved as personal sherpas?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    must control urges.............

Defy smugmug shootout......

No mooooooooooooooore

I'm IN :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I'd be very interested in coming - looks like everyone had a blast at Yosemite. My daughter says she would like to come as well.

We are going to Moab next month, for a couple of days. I've been mountain biking there in the past, but this trip is strictly for photography. Never been to the western side of UT at all.

I assume you'll be posting the deposit and payment into at soem point?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    What activities did the spouses do on the last shootout? Or were they enslaved as personal sherpas?

mrs. shay: sherpa
    mr. nightinggale (pathfinder): sherpa for mrs. pathfinder (nightingale)
    mrs. hughes (mhughes): they all carried their own
    mrs gubbs: baked her bun in the oven a bit, joined us for some, too. did *not* act as sherpa in any way, shape or form.

lol3.gif there's lots to do, and as the event draws near we'll figure it out...
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    mrs. shay: sherpa
    mr. nightinggale (pathfinder): sherpa for mrs. pathfinder (nightingale)
    mrs. hughes (mhughes): they all carried their own
    mrs gubbs: baked her bun in the oven a bit, joined us for some, too. did *not* act as sherpa in any way, shape or form.

lol3.gif there's lots to do, and as the event draws near we'll figure it out...
    Fat chance rolleyes1.gif

Andy,

Provisional yes, but I need a little time to plan and negotiate, can you give me a "first refusal"??
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Fat chance rolleyes1.gif

Andy,

Provisional yes, but I need a little time to plan and negotiate, can you give me a "first refusal"??

you'll have a new little one - plenty of room in that camper for the new bun! or, you can negotiate some quality "alone time" with you, your camera, and about 50 or so close friends lol3.gif i believe harrod's has a department you can visit just prior to that discussion!
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I am in. Last time I was at Bryce was 17 years ago. Ended up taking a great 8 mile hike. Just ran out of film too soon. I'm ready to get back there and get a lot more pics.

I might even be able to arrange transport from Vegas for a few.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    We're In...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    In case I didn't make myself clear:-)
    I'm in.
    I just don't know, 2 or 3 of us - my missus expressed an interest to join me and Helen on this trip.. With that RV plan becomes more and more interesting... Maybe even driving one from home and back with 3/4 of the family in it is not such a bad idea:-)
    Of course, with women you never know for sure:-), but we're in:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Of course, with women you never know for sure

nik!

:hide
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I'm in!
    woohoo!

:D
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Cherry Ripes !
    andy wrote:
    May 17 & 18 @ Bryce
    May 19 & 20 @ Zion

Details to follow - I'm in the process of making reservations etc right now. This trip will require you to make a decision waaaaay in advance, and give us a deposit. Rooms are nearly impossible to get if we wait too long, so this will be a trip that'll be nailed down as far as attendees etc. very very soon!

As to costs estimates for lodging: figure about $40 per person per nght at bryce and $75 per person per night at zion.

Air Travel: in / out of Las Vegas is best.

Marc Muench will be our landscape pro in attendance.

Many more details to follow as they get decided.

EDIT: rooms will have baths/shower & loo :D

Who's in??
    Owwwwww owwwwww I wanna come along, any chance of me bunking in with some other females ???? Skippy (Australia)
    Ummmmmmm did I mention I can bring "Cherry Ripes" eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Ummmmmmm did I mention I can bring "Cherry Ripes" eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

now you get right to it, dontcha?

skippy and 'gus have to pay in the coin of my realm, cherry ripes lol3.gif

skip, we'll work on dani haney coming on the trip, so that you'll have a roommate ok? deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Thanks Andy
    andy wrote:
    now you get right to it, dontcha?

skippy and 'gus have to pay in the coin of my realm, cherry ripes lol3.gif

skip, we'll work on dani haney coming on the trip, so that you'll have a roommate ok? deal.gif
    That would be great........... I'm a good girl, I don't drink, and I don't smoke :)
    Skippy .......holder of the Cherry Ripes rolleyes1.gif

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Don't smoke - good!
    Skippy wrote:
    That would be great........... I'm a good girl, I don't drink, and I don't smoke :)
    Skippy .......holder of the Cherry Ripes rolleyes1.gif
    Don't drink.. hmm, ok, we're gonna work on this one.. I have at least some experience in such a conversion, so maybe we can do something about it..:D
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    What's wrong, Andy?
    andy wrote:
    nik!
    :hide
    I'm just stating the well-known fact:D

Cheers, mate!1drink.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm just stating the well-known fact:D

Cheers, mate!1drink.gif

There's a nice American expression that goes like this:

'When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.'

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    We are going to Moab next month, for a couple of days. I've been mountain biking there in the past, but this trip is strictly for photography. Never been to the western side of UT at all.
    If you ever ride there again... stay away from the not-at-all-friendly Monitor-Merrimack trail. It's more of a Jeep road. It was on the ATB trail map, but there was 4" deep sand about a third of the way in. Couldn't ride it. Had to push the bikes through instead. It might be a good walk - and it's very scenic, but whatever you do... don't attempt to ride it. Plus, there's swarms of large hungry horse flies near the stream. Sunscreen. I can't say enough good about using copious amounts of sunscreen. Don't forget the sunscreen!

After you get five lifetime's worth of Kokopelli figurines at the 100+ gift stores in town, there is a nice air-conditioned movie theatre at the southern side of the town. Lots of really good sandwich shops too.

Arches NP is a stone's throw north (you knew that - but for readers of this thread...), but very very crowded on the weekends, so go there at odd times (early a.m. might be good) so you don't get dozens of tourists in every shot.

Oh, and did I mention to bring sunscreen?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    ..... but there was 4" deep sand about a third of the way in. Couldn't ride it. Had to push the bikes through instead.
    Yes, there were several crashes caused by running into deep sand at any kind of speed.

I must say, I'm looking forward to finding out if the beer at the Moab Brewery has improved since I was last there. It used to be a legend how bad it was.

One recomendation though for anyone driving to UT from Denver, one of the best steaks I've ever had was at the Mint Steakhouse in Silverthorne, CO. Don't let the look of the place turn you away :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    May 17 & 18 @ Bryce
    May 19 & 20 @ Zion

EDIT: rooms will have baths/shower & loo :D

Who's in??
    OK fink you didn't make it easy but Linda and I are in. If those bathrooms aren't up to snuff you will have deal with the wraith of Linda.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    OK fink you didn't make it easy but Linda and I are in. If those bathrooms aren't up to snuff you will have deal with the wraith of Linda.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

and don't worry. next may, 2006, of coure, it's porta-potty month! i'll have my sherpa waximondo tote one in special for you and linda deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    One recomendation though for anyone driving to UT from Denver, one of the best steaks I've ever had was at the Mint Steakhouse in Silverthorne, CO. Don't let the look of the place turn you away :D
    Since I'll probably be driving out and back, I'll keep this food tip in mind as I drive down 70 to 15. Don't tell Andy, or the place will probably run out of food before I get there. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Since I'll probably be driving out and back, I'll keep this food tip in mind as I drive down 70 to 15. Don't tell Andy, or the place will probably run out of food before I get there. mwink.gif

it's already in the plans for steverino and gus and me to drive by deal.gif
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    count me in please!

i'm hoping to go to antelope canyon outside of page, arizona after the shoot-out. if anybody is also interested, i can scope out motels and tour guides. still lots of time. here's some shots from there to spark your interest:
    http://www.antelopecanyon.com/photos.html
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2005
    Hey Nikolai .....
    Nikolai wrote:
    Don't drink.. hmm, ok, we're gonna work on this one.. I have at least some experience in such a conversion, so maybe we can do something about it..:D
    When I was 19 years old, I got sooooooooo drunk I got Alcohol Poisoning, and that my friend cured me of drinking for life :D

I was unconscious for several hours, and sick for a week, but hey it did the trick, cured me from ever becoming a drinker rolleyes1.gif

I rarely ever drink at all, just can't handle the stuff, which isn't really a bad thing hu :D sometimes we just have to learn the lessons of life the hard way.

Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's already in the plans for steverino and gus and me to drive by deal.gif
    ...hmmm MY people are talking to HER people.
  • Options
    OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    I'll think of you when I'm having dinner there next week. Yes, indeed, a good place to eat. thumb.gif

Olga
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    I'm interested, looks like two.
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    I am very interested! I would love to go. I'm in for 1; possibly 2.

I will also most likely be driving down from Portland, if there are any dgrinners in the area that would like to carpool, let me know. I will have my Jeep Grand Cherokee there, so I can volunteer to cart people around during the event as well. I can carry 5 (legally) :D
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Me too! Count me in!
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM