Options

dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 3, 2005
    Well then maybe the zombie llamas will decide to stampeed for some reason, and the dust kicked up in the air and all the confusion will make it impossible for you to see anything from up there. So there would be no way of knowing what I am doing, which of course would be gaurding the boxes of cherry ripes from the now rampaging zombie llamas. :uhoh
    I could get lucky and end up with a beautiful lynnesite like photo of....ah...llamas :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    It's not that bad Shay. I once took Fairyland Loop trail there. It's only eight miles...with a small elevation change. Nothing big...about a 2000ft climb on the way out.lol3.gif

Course, that was what, 17 years ago? I'm a little softer around the edges than I was then...
    How much hiking are we talking about here? Cause I hate hiking.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    I am in --also Nick I will pm you about the extra days thumb.gif Andy you are going to give us the amount and when to deposit, the $ will be on it's way .Can not think of a better way to spend some $$ thanks Andy yosemite was a great trip thumb.gif

loook at the official info thread, sticky in the news forum deal.gif
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Andy,

I would like to be part of this if there is room still left.

Thanks,

Erich
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Andy,

I would like to be part of this if there is room still left.

Thanks,

Erich

great! look at the official info thread, and send me the money via paypal, follow the instructions there :D
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Andy,
    I'm discussing this with Mrs. Mongrel....

Is there room for two more?

Last time I was 'out West' was in 1973 rolleyes1.gif .....makes me :cry just thinking about it....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    I'm discussing this with Mrs. Mongrel....

Is there room for two more?

Last time I was 'out West' was in 1973 rolleyes1.gif .....makes me :cry just thinking about it....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks,

Mongrel

yes, there's room! hurry though :D

glad you guys are coming. we all had a blast last year.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Got room for 2 more?

Will ask my wife this morning and will know in about an hour or two, after she wakes up! rolleyes1.gif

So $245 would be total cost for rooms for the 4 nights?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Got room for 2 more?

Will ask my wife this morning and will know in about an hour or two, after she wakes up! rolleyes1.gif

I plan to go, but cannot commit this early. I will plan to be there, but will make my own arrangments when I know if I can go.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I plan to go, but cannot commit this early. I will plan to be there, but will make my own arrangments when I know if I can go.

ok this is a sticky situation. i have booked enough rooms for the people we can support on the trip. you have time to make your decision, but when you do, we want you to take one of the rooms that we have reserved. deal.gif

thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Well, I guess we are on hold. My wife has to wait until she gets her school schedule, which is either next month or August. Hopefully you all will still have rooms left.

Or we can take our tent....
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    I'm in!
    Money should be on the way to NYC:-)

After much of discussions my family decided to let me go on my own - again!

I guess I'll be bunking with some of you lads:-)

I'm still thinking of doing 10 days jeep/rv trip AFTER the official part.

The idea is to fly to St.George, rent a car (hopefully share with somebody), get to Bryce, move to Zion along with the crowd. Then on Sunday drive back to St.George, exchange the car for RV - and take off to Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Arches, etc.
    Of course this would also require some reservation-cooperation, but I think it can be done later:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    There's a strong chance that I can go but I have a couple of questions:

1. The $245 deposit, is that for deposit on the place to stay? If not, what is it for? My wife would feel more comfortable if we knew what this money was going for.

2. Flying into Vegas..when are people going? That Thursday morning? How will I get to Bryce? Everyone leaving on Sunday?
    My wife and kid might fly in on Friday and stay with me, is that possible?

3. Can anyone on the east coast recommend a cheap airline?
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    There's a strong chance that I can go but I have a couple of questions:

1. The $245 deposit, is that for deposit on the place to stay? If not, what is it for? My wife would feel more comfortable if we knew what this money was going for.

2. Flying into Vegas..when are people going? That Thursday morning? How will I get to Bryce? Everyone leaving on Sunday?
    My wife and kid might fly in on Friday and stay with me, is that possible?

3. Can anyone on the east coast recommend a cheap airline?

the deposit goes to my lens acquisition fund lol3.gif

seriouisly, john - all the poop you need is in the official info thread which is sticky in this forum, too...

as to airlines, they practically give away seats to vegas - shop around, try expedia deal.gif

hope you decide to come!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Got room for 2 more?

no - the $245 is deposit for one night at each hotel. you'll owe an equal amount for the second night at each hotel, since you and mrs johnr will be bunking together :D
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I am seriously considering joining the 2006 shootout but I probably won't be able to commit until mid August or so, at which point I hope there will still be space. Meanwhile, I thought I would let people know that, as my husband has declined to come and carry my equipment for me (ne_nau.gif ), I would be happy to share a room with another woman. If anyone is interested, kindly send me a private message.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I am seriously considering joining the 2006 shootout but I probably won't be able to commit until mid August or so, at which point I hope there will still be space. Meanwhile, I thought I would let people know that, as my husband has declined to come and carry my equipment for me (ne_nau.gif ), I would be happy to share a room with another woman. If anyone is interested, kindly send me a private message.

Virginia

excellent thumb.gif we'll hook you up wiht skippy (australia) or dani (gotta work on convincing her to come deal.gif) for sure we need some more dgrin women on the trip, lemme tellya that lookin' at some of these guys at 5am every morning ain't no picnic :uhoh lol3.gif
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I'm in!
    Hey Andy, can you update the totals to give me (us) a sense for how quickly these rooms are filling? I'm debating whether to go solo, or book a room for two. Thanks!
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hey Andy, can you update the totals to give me (us) a sense for how quickly these rooms are filling? I'm debating whether to go solo, or book a room for two. Thanks!
    jack, it's all in the official info thread, which is sticky in this forum..... take a look deal.gif
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I'm also thinking of doing some extra time, but as a pre-shootout excursion to take advantage of the previous weekend and making a full week out of it. Since the shootout starts on a Wed, I'd thought of heading off either the Friday evening before, or early Saturday morning. No specific plans yet and at this point I'm open to either driving to hit Death Valley on the way, or flying over and renting a car to go to Antelope, Arches or the Painted Desert area.

Any interest, let me know!
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Jack
    I'm also thinking of doing some extra time, but as a pre-shootout excursion to take advantage of the previous weekend and making a full week out of it. Since the shootout starts on a Wed, I'd thought of heading off either the Friday evening before, or early Saturday morning. No specific plans yet and at this point I'm open to either driving to hit Death Valley on the way, or flying over and renting a car to go to Antelope, Arches or the Painted Desert area.

Any interest, let me know!
    I did the pre-shooting last time - started Monday, drove up 101/PCH through Solvang, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel, SF and ended up in Yosemity. Now I think it was mistake - I learned so much during the shootout that I almost want to redo the pre-trip again - I would shoot the whole thing so differently.

That's why I'm planning the post-shooting in 2006.
    It has the following advantages:
    1) you'd have two half-workweeks (one before, one after), so it will be easier at work:-)
    2) mid-week flying/driving is usually easier
    3) you'd be in a top-notch shape photo-wise, so all those nice places will be covered with the utmost creativity and technical excellence..

Wanna joind the crowd? We were thinking of getting few jeeps/RVs, share the expenses and having fun...

Cheers!
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I am thinking seriously of making the 2006 shootout, but need to figure out the logistics. When I have time I will read through all of the comments, I'm working on a photo shoot today, staged with about 30 models, not my shoot, but it should be a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Nice:-)
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm working on a photo shoot today, staged with about 30 models, not my shoot, but it should be a lot of fun.
    Need some help shooting;-)? I'm like only 30 miles away:-):):
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    excellent thumb.gif we'll hook you up wiht skippy (australia) or dani (gotta work on convincing her to come deal.gif) for sure we need some more dgrin women on the trip, lemme tellya that lookin' at some of these guys at 5am every morning ain't no picnic :uhoh lol3.gif
    With a comeon like that, how can I resist? rolleyes1.gif I'll confirm ASAP.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Hi Virginia
    Flyinggina wrote:
    With a comeon like that, how can I resist? rolleyes1.gif I'll confirm ASAP.

Virginia
    I promise I don't snore rolleyes1.gif and I speak two languages, English and Australian :lol4 :lol hmmmmmm I gotta bring over an Ozzie Slang Book for sure rolleyes1.gif

I'm really looking forward to next years event..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Maxine,
    Skippy wrote:
    I promise I don't snore rolleyes1.gif and I speak two languages, English and Australian :lol4 :lol hmmmmmm I gotta bring over an Ozzie Slang Book for sure rolleyes1.gif

I'm really looking forward to next years event..... Skippy (Australia)
    Now you need to solidify your schedule for the post-action, too:-)
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Your Right Nikolai
    Nikolai wrote:
    Now you need to solidify your schedule for the post-action, too:-)
    Getting the time off is not a problem :D
    I just need to know where I need to be trying to fly in and out of.

Until a final decision is made I really can't do anything........but yeah I wanna go with you folks after the event :D:D:D I do I do I do.

So I shall keep watching this thread, if you think I didn't seen a message that maybe I should have, please let me know wont you.

I've already put in a tentative date at work for next years holidays.

Take Care Nikolai.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Now you got me thinking about the post event too :D hmmm, I'll check with my BUM if he's allright with it :lol plan ahead he always says rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I can't commit now, but by the end of the summer I'll know better. I've always wanted to go up there...it'll be nice to be w/ a bunch of folks who on a hike won't say, "What...are you taking MORE pictures? Geezus!" I'd need to share a room w/ females, and I'd be driving up from Tucson...which means I'd most likely do a pre- or post- Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona add on to the trip if anyone is interested in flying in or out of Tucson (to be discussed later...since I really don't know any of you) The Slot Canyons (Antelope) are interesting, but if you checkout what Arizona Highways mag says, you've got to really be into climbing into teeny places to get through some of the areas to get to the good photo opps.

Adrienne