Options

dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Hi folks. I have a request. People coming into Vegas in the early AM, i.e. 9-10amish can we exchange PMs? I would like to maybe hook up with some of you and meet. I have already contacted one person but was wondering if there were any more. I have never been to Vegas and would like to not have to wander aimlessly. Thanks.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    Hi folks. I have a request. People coming into Vegas in the early AM, i.e. 9-10amish can we exchange PMs? I would like to maybe hook up with some of you and meet. I have already contacted one person but was wondering if there were any more. I have never been to Vegas and would like to not have to wander aimlessly. Thanks.

I'll be there around 1pm if that counts. I was wondering how we should exchange cell numbers. I have been to vegas probably 50 times and I find new stuff all the time, its pretty fun to wander around.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I might have the lightest backpack. The plan was to have the 400 5.6 by Utah, but the blank'in IRS took my lens funds. I'll just have the Tamron 28-75 + Tam 1.4 TC and also the 10-22. One extra battery, a couple 2GB cards, a pano slider for the RRS head and clamp, granola bars, water, and some filters. Oh, and now perhaps bug killing spray. The Lowepro mini trekker AW will be half ampty - but light..
    I'll be loading up my photo-trekker probably with a 24-70mm F/2.8 400mm F/5.6, 70-200mm F/4, 17-40mm F/4 and 8mm F/2.8. So if you have need of a 400 you may ask me nicely :lol
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited May 2, 2006
    I'll be loading up my photo-trekker probably with a 24-70mm F/2.8 400mm F/5.6, 70-200mm F/4, 17-40mm F/4 and 8mm F/2.8. So if you have need of a 400 you may ask me nicely :lol

I will. I will. And I will try to be very nice. :D
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    FRS/GMRS Radios
    You all ready? clap.gif

For those of you that are planning on bringing your FRS/GMRS radios...let's plan on using channel 5.
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    good idea Kendall. i assume no coded squelch? code #0 on my Motorola T4800 Talkabouts.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Channel 5 it is
    aero-nut wrote:
    You all ready? clap.gif

For those of you that are planning on bringing your FRS/GMRS radios...let's plan on using channel 5.

I'll bring my set.. thumb.gif
    Don't forget spare batteries:-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    aero-nut wrote:
    You all ready? clap.gif

I dont have an FRS radio. Is that something I should pick up? I think I saw a set at REI for 22 bux. Are the GMRS ones you need licenses for?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    I signed up with Utah.com to get a free map a while back of the area (its pretty cool and Ill bring it on the trip)

and now I just got this newsletter in the mail so I found it online so I could share it:

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/newsletter/2006/may.htm
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    Anyone driving into Utah on an Interstate highway can pick up all the free brochures and maps you can carry of Bryce and Zion at one of those Utah Welcome Centers near the border.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I dont have an FRS radio. Is that something I should pick up? I think I saw a set at REI for 22 bux. Are the GMRS ones you need licenses for?

Bob, check out the posts in this thread...starting about 1-9-06 (post #229...near the bottom):

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11787&page=8

It might be informative if you're considering buying some GMRS/FRS radios for the trip.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    kudbegud wrote:
    good idea Kendall. i assume no coded squelch? code #0 on my Motorola T4800 Talkabouts.

Right. I figure that not everyone will want to deal with the coded squelch thing, so we should start out not using it. If it gets crazy with a bunch of other people using channels around there, then we could start using the codes.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    aero-nut wrote:
    Right. I figure that not everyone will want to deal with the coded squelch thing, so we should start out not using it. If it gets crazy with a bunch of other people using channels around there, then we could start using the codes.

Just remember to use cool call sign names & use 'roger roger' a lot.

Some helpfull phrases:

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
    Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?
    Tower Voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
    Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur! Over.
    Tower Voice: Roger.
    Roger Murdock: Huh?
    Tower Voice: Roger, over.
    Captain Oveur: Huh?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The auto-rally from Vegas to Bryce kicks off at 0700hrs.

Where's everyone meeting? ear.gif

Is there a thread about the where / when details of meeting to head out to the shootout? I'll be there with my Prius to haul me and 3 others (or 2 if they have a lot of gear), I just need to know where in Vegas to be and when :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has really picked a spot yet. As far as I can tell most people staying in Vegas on the 16th will be at the Luxor.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Our group
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Where's everyone meeting? ear.gif

Is there a thread about the where / when details of meeting to head out to the shootout? I'll be there with my Prius to haul me and 3 others (or 2 if they have a lot of gear), I just need to know where in Vegas to be and when :D

Kudbegud, Michiel, me (Nik) and hopefully you (Mike Lane) are starting from Motel 6 8:30 am. Sorry, can't make 7am early bird start, my plane lands 7:30, and I need to get to Hertz then. But since I'm driving LA style, we probably beat the rest of the crowd to Bryce, if not St.George... :):
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Just remember to use cool call sign names & use 'roger roger' a lot.

Some helpfull phrases:

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
    Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?
    Tower Voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
    Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur! Over.
    Tower Voice: Roger.
    Tower Voice: Roger, over.
    Captain Oveur: Huh?

rolleyes1.gif

Ahhh..what a classic.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Updated Map
    I compiled all the major stop points both for the main and post-shootouts in one Live map.

Caveat: Location of The Wave is only an approximation +/- 5-10 miles

HTH