Options

2006: post shooutout

Comments

• Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    I need accomadation for that last night :)
    So I am happy to share with anyone......... could someone tell me the exact date it will be for the last night I want to book all my flights this week

May will be here before we know it........also how far from the Hotel 6 is it to the Airport, is there like a shuttle service to the airport or do I need to get a taxi??? .....this is what I need to know for getting another flight back to California.

Take Care folks............ Skippy (Australia)

Hey Skippy, as I mentioned in an earlier post I got a room with two queens in case you or one of our other "post-shootout" travelers needed a place to share. Should be around $40 if we split it, or less if we get another roomie by the end of the trip. :D

Jack
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Maxine would be thrilled to have a female companion:-)clap.gif
    And this way you can stay with Jack, and your GF can take your former spot in my room mwink.gif
    I doubt if she'll come along though, she's got a big trip planned already and it's not as if we're having rivers of money... so you've got to share the room with me still rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    That's fine by me, too
    I doubt if she'll come along though, she's got a big trip planned already and it's not as if we're having rivers of money... so you've got to share the room with me still rolleyes1.gif

Now you need to get an experience of sitting in a broken RV in a middle of absolutely nowhere :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    lemme be 'surfing' that wave with ya :D Sorry it took me this long to reply, just got a new girlfriend after 3 bachelor years mwink.gifiloveyou.gif

Hey Mich! Glad ya got to ditch the blow up doll! Looking foward to seeing ya in May
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Hey Eric,
    4labs wrote:
    Hey Mich! Glad ya got to ditch the blow up doll! Looking foward to seeing ya in May

Are you going with us, too? I mean, for the wave, the arches and the whole nine yards?
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Nik,

Doesn't look like it. My wife was in the hospital for 8 weeks prior to the baby and she can't get the extra time off of work. My mom may be able to watch Sam and than I can try and hook up with you guys. Will be last minute for me.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    I see..
    4labs wrote:
    Nik,

Doesn't look like it. My wife was in the hospital for 8 weeks prior to the baby and she can't get the extra time off of work. My mom may be able to watch Sam and than I can try and hook up with you guys. Will be last minute for me.

Well, we'll try to do what we can to accomodate you..iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Guys,
    we DO need an exact headcount for The Wave Hike. It's very limited (10-11 people per *day* per unit). If you already signed up for RV but don't want to go on the hike (it may be strenuous), please let me or Kudbegud know asap.
    Since we gonna make the reservation anyway, we can add some more people, even if you're not the part of the whole post-shootout trip and "just here for the Wave" :-)
    In any case, please let us know where are you stand on this Wave issue..
    Thanks!
    I'm in for the wave!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    RV: six again
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm in for the wave!

Bad news: Nick Gluwater cannot go to the post-shootout :-( We hope he'll be able to make it to the primary event at least..

Good news: with Mike Lane in (along with his initial RV payment:-) it's six of us again, so everybody has a sleeping slot:-)

So, the current list of post-shootout participants:
    1. Mike Lane
    2. Jack "Calfeerider"
    3. Maxine "Skippy" (Oz)
    4. Michiel "Mick" de Brieder (NL)
    5. Doug "Kudbegud"
    6. Nikolai "Nik"
    More later
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Bad news: Nick Gluwater cannot go to the post-shootout :-( We hope he'll be able to make it to the primary event at least..

Good news: with Mike Lane in (along with his initial RV payment:-) it's six of us again, so everybody has a sleeping slot:-)

So, the current list of post-shootout participants:
    1. Mike Lane
    2. Jack "Calfeerider"
    3. Maxine "Skippy" (Oz)
    4. Michiel "Mick" de Brieder (NL)
    5. Doug "Kudbegud"
    6. Nikolai "Nik"
    More later

damn the age factor.:cry i wanna go sooo bad. i even have an RV we could have used....but i doubt you guys would even allow a noisy teenager in your midst.:giggle

but seriously. if there was any way i could....
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    damn the age factor.:cry i wanna go sooo bad. i even have an RV we could have used....but i doubt you guys would even allow a noisy teenager in your midst.:giggle

Noisy? Daniel, you've *obviously* not been around this group! rolleyes1.gif
    Jack

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Daniel
    DanielB wrote:

Seriously.. it's an open thing.. to a degree.. There is a limit to "The Wave" hike (10 ppl per day max) and Antelope tour (12 ppl per day max). There are also considerations for the number of the vehicles on the parking places - thus far we reserved one spot only, so any additional vehicle would require some extra logistics.

BUT - it's all doable. So if you're serious about joining - let's discuss it...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Post-shootout: getting closer, what about transport?
    I finally reserved the flight:-)
    I'm arriving to Las Vegas airport about 7:30 am Wednesday May 17th, so chances are I'll be on the road about 8 am. So whoever stays in that Motel6 (thus far it's Kudbegud and Michiel, maybe Mike, too?) should be getting ready about 8:30 am.:-)

That is unless Jack decides to be our transportation fairy and agrees to give us all a ride from LV to canyons and then to St.George.:-) (can you fit 5 ppl with luggage?). Another option is only to get transport from LV to St. George direct. meet with Jack over there and then use his Acura for the rest of the primary. However, this leaves absolutely no room for Skippy..:-(

The point of the message: we need to solidify our initial transportaion (pre-RV) plans. Thus far it looks like that Doug, Michiel, Mike and me sharing the transport all the way from LV to St.George throught he main event. Jack's gonna have his Acura MDX during that part - and I haven't heard from Skippy about this part at all.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm arriving to Las Vegas airport about 7:30 am Wednesday May 17th, so chances are I'll be on the road about 8 am. So whoever stays in that Motel6 (thus far it's Kudbegud and Michiel, maybe Mike, too?) should be getting ready about 8:30 am.:-)

That is unless Jack decides to be our transportation fairy and agrees to give us all a ride from LV to canyons and then to St.George.:-) (can you fit 5 ppl with luggage?). Another option is only to get transport from LV to St. George direct. meet with Jack over there and then use his Acura for the rest of the primary. However, this leaves absolutely no room for Skippy..:-(

The point of the message: we need to solidify our initial transportaion (pre-RV) plans. Thus far it looks like that Doug, Michiel, Mike and me sharing the transport all the way from LV to St.George throught he main event. Jack's gonna have his Acura MDX during that part - and I haven't heard from Skippy about this part at all.ne_nau.gif

I hate to sound non-commital, but I really can't commit. :D

You may recall from our conversation that my "plan" is to leave Fresno either the Sat or Sun before the shootout. Depending on the weather conditions I may either swing up through Tahoe, or Tioga Pass and come down the Eastern Sierras and Death Valley. Or, come from the south and hit the Mohave and the Grand Canyon south-rim and the Painted Dessert area.

Long story... but I won't know until a couple of days before where I'll be Tuesday night/Wed morning. ne_nau.gif

If its possible, I'd be more than glad to keep it as an option though. The MDX can seat 5, but with the luggage/gear for nearly two-weeks, unless I get a roof-rack mountable thingy, it could be tight.

Jack
    Jack

• Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Jack,
    I hate to sound non-commital, but I really can't commit. :D
    Jack

Not a problem. I just need to hear from Skippy then, so I'd know if I need to rent a van or a sedan would be ok. Maybe end up in a van anyway, since splitting the cost even between 4 ppl, let alone 5, does not hurt that much:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not a problem. I just need to hear from Skippy then, so I'd know if I need to rent a van or a sedan would be ok. Maybe end up in a van anyway, since splitting the cost even between 4 ppl, let alone 5, does not hurt that much:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif

Ney Nik,

Not sure is this is a factor, but after the post-shootout I'll be heading to LV and spending the night at that Motel6 so depending on how many other vehicles we may have transportation for the trip back covered? I know we have 6 locked in for the RV, but not sure how many others are "probables".

Jack
    Jack

• Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    St.George to Vegas
    Ney Nik,

Not sure is this is a factor, but after the post-shootout I'll be heading to LV and spending the night at that Motel6 so depending on how many other vehicles we may have transportation for the trip back covered? I know we have 6 locked in for the RV, but not sure how many others are "probables".

Jack

Jack, once we know who's exactly going we'll either reserve the shuttle or will try all fit into your MDX:-)

Thank you for your considerations!thumb.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Dang It My Job is Keeping Me Tied Up
    Hi Nik..... I will be arriving in Las Vegas on May 14 and staying with a fellow female Dgrinner in Las Vegas for 3 nights........ I am driving out to the Canyon with her.

Hope this helps you decide what your doing okay....... sorry for the delay.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Nikolai wrote:

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    OK then
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Nik..... I will be arriving in Las Vegas on May 14 and staying with a fellow female Dgrinner in Las Vegas for 3 nights........ I am driving out to the Canyon with her.

Hope this helps you decide what your doing okay....... sorry for the delay.
    Skippy (Australia)

This means our pre-RV transportation layout is as follows:
    • Jack has his MDX all the way
    • Maxine is getting a ride from her friend to the canyons, and, possibly, back to St.George.
      If not, I'm pretty sure Jack will be able to accomodate her for that last leg from Zion to St.George, since his Acura will be almost empty, right Jack? :-)
    • The rest four of us (Mike, Michiel, Doug and me) using the rental car that I rent at LV airport and drop off at St.George
    I guess we're pretty much set.:-)

Thanks everyone!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Updated schedule
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=185163&postcount=94

Some minor updates: phone numbers, etc.
    Thanks Doug!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    I dont have a ride back
    Nikolai wrote:
    This means our pre-RV transportation layout is as follows:
    • Jack has his MDX all the way
    • Maxine is getting a ride from her friend to the canyons, and, possibly, back to St.George.
      If not, I'm pretty sure Jack will be able to accomodate her for that last leg from Zion to St.George, since his Acura will be almost empty, right Jack? :-)
    • The rest four of us (Mike, Michiel, Doug and me) using the rental car that I rent at LV airport and drop off at St.George
    I guess we're pretty much set.:-)

Thanks everyone!thumb.gif

Hi Nik...... I don't have a ride back I will be with you guys the rest of the time ..... Maxine (Skippy)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    No problem here
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Nik...... I don't have a ride back I will be with you guys the rest of the time ..... Maxine (Skippy)

Jack just confirmed, he will give you a ride to St.George. And after the post-shotout is done we'll need a shuttle to LV anyway.
    So I guess we're all set transportation-wise...
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2006
    Thanks Nik & Jack
    Nikolai wrote:
    Jack just confirmed, he will give you a ride to St.George. And after the post-shotout is done we'll need a shuttle to LV anyway.
    So I guess we're all set transportation-wise...

Alllllllllrighty....... I see the travel agent again today......so hopefully it will be all booked before this coming weekend.....thanks you guys :D
    Maxine (Skippy)

• Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Special Request If Possible
    I have a question :D

What's the go with sleeping arrangements? like do we need sleeping bags, pillows etc??

Now if the answer is yes, then I would like to ask anyone who is travelling by car in post shoot group if they are able to offer me a lend of a sleeping bag and pillow for the trip ??

Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    No worries, Maxine!
    Skippy wrote:
    I have a question :D

What's the go with sleeping arrangements? like do we need sleeping bags, pillows etc??

Now if the answer is yes, then I would like to ask anyone who is travelling by car in post shoot group if they are able to offer me a lend of a sleeping bag and pillow for the trip ??

Skippy (Australia)

As a proud member of our "gang of six", you are entitled to a full-blown RV slot, which, as the plan goes, should include sheets, pillows, blankets and other usefull household items, all this for a meager $40 per person on top of the rental price. I think we should use this offer, I'm going to, anyway.

Note: same goes to all of us:-)

HTH
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    Excellent Nikolai
    Nikolai wrote:
    As a proud member of our "gang of six", you are entitled to a full-blown RV slot, which, as the plan goes, should include sheets, pillows, blankets and other usefull household items, all this for a meager $40 per person on top of the rental price. I think we should use this offer, I'm going to, anyway.

Note: same goes to all of us:-)

HTH

Sounds good to me :D ....... whoohooo!! all my flights are confirmed and I got my flights to and from LasVegas at a much more reasonalbe hour of the day too clap.gif ........ take Care Nikolai ........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Monument Valley on TV
    if you can get it, there is a program on OLN cable channel about RV Today that features Monument Valley on March 7 and 9 at 2:00 pm. check your listings for local times.
    check here for OLN listings, select March 7 or 9 and day time listing:

http://ww2.olntv.com/tvlistings/default.asp?nm=2

or better yet, try this one:

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/mdview/?tf=TonightOnOLN_show.tpl&Limit=1&mt=3&f1=UserDef3&UserDef=true&d1=6

the first 10 or so minutes are the best.

it looks great ... cant wait to be there in person!!!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2006
    Great catch, Doug!
    kudbegud wrote:
    if you can get it, there is a program on OLN cable channel about RV Today that features Monument Valley on March 7 and 9 at 2:00 pm. check your listings for local times.
    check here for OLN listings, select March 7 or 9 and day time listing:

http://ww2.olntv.com/tvlistings/default.asp?nm=2

or better yet, try this one:

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/mdview/?tf=TonightOnOLN_show.tpl&Limit=1&mt=3&f1=UserDef3&UserDef=true&d1=6

the first 10 or so minutes are the best.

it looks great ... cant wait to be there in person!!!!! clap.gif

BTW, I have an idea... Why don't each of us spend some time during the what left before the trip, and dig some extra info about certain area along the way. Does not really matter which one. The goal is to turn ourselves to some sort of "guides", so if not all then most (or at least some) of the trip areas are covered. Sources could be different: Internet, TV, local library, AAA, B&N - whatever helps...
    To avoid everybody jumping on the same area let's simply post your choices once you pick them up. This way we would know who's digging what.
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    i'll take photo ops around page arizona
  • Options
    SecondHandSecondHand Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Can't wait to see.
    Hey, you guys. You don't know me, I'm fairly new here. I live in Utah and have seen the places you are going to to shoot and must say, I can't wait to see the fantastic pictures that you bring back. I'm very, VERY new to photography and I'm just excited to see what you all, that have been involved with it for so long, come back with. Zion and Brice Canyon, in my opinion are a couple of the most beautiful places in the world, in their own way. Of course, I can see the beauty in the Utah West Desert, where others can see nothing but a land of salt. Anyway, I'm excited for you and I hope that you have a great time and look forward to seeing your photographs. Have a great time!!!
    Jim www.secondhand.smugmug.com
    Canon 20D Kit w/ 18-55mm
    Canon 75-300mm