Options

Picture of your local firetruck request...

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Thanks Ian
    These look really good!

Notice the "thing" in front of the wheels in the back? I guess that's to keep it from accidently rolling off somewhere?

Pacific Grove huh? That's a new one for the collection. Thanks again!:):
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    These look really good!

Notice the "thing" in front of the wheels in the back? I guess that's to keep it from accidently rolling off somewhere?

Pacific Grove huh? That's a new one for the collection. Thanks again!:):

You're most welcome. I hope to work with a retired Carmel firefighter to shoot
    a few of their restored 1920's era engine. Not too sure when but soon I hope.

Wheel chocks are used to prevent the truck from rolling off. Bad form if you
    forget and the thing rolls off someplace--which actually happened to a friend
    of mine's patrol car in Pacifica--he was going to his first code call and forgot
    to put the car in park before he jumped out rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif It rolled into a
    parked car.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 22, 2006
    Dee,

The wheel chock use is more complicated than just forgetting to put it in park. The weight of the truck is a major factor. Disk and drum brakes alone can have a hard time holding back 40,000 lbs or more.

Most people do not realize how complicated a fire engines pump really is. The pump actually uses the trucks engine to pump water. To do this, there is a special transfer case that takes the power of the engine and applies it to the pump to make it spin. When you do this, there is a special series of steps that must be done.

When you transfer the power, the drive train including the wheels are placed in neutral. Neutral will allow the truck to roll if the brakes are not set. Most fire engines use air brakes. Air brakes are notorius for having problems. Air leaks, cold or hot temperatures, or someone bumping the air valve can release the brakes and allow the truck to roll.

The chocks are used as a safety measure in case the air brakes quit working.

Smaller trucks do not use the transfer case system. Their pumps are driven by seperate gas/deisel engines. These trucks are very often overloaded with equipment and water that stock brake systems barely handle the weight. So as a safety percaution we use the chocks as a backup.

I have some new photos of fire trucks that will be loaded soon. I will let you know so that you can show them to your son.

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Doc left out the next step. Once the transfer is switched from "road" to "pump" gear the truck is then put back into drive to run the pump. If you forget to set the parking break and then increase the throttle (how you control the pressure at which the pump runs) the truck has a tendancy to drive away fromt he operator. The throttle control knob is the same as pushing your foot down on the gas pedal.

Like Doc said though fire trucks are more complicated than most people think. Then again though they don't even use keys to start so they shouldn't be that complicated should they? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    I left that part out as I figured most people would not care. You are correct on the driving away part. Luckily our trucks have an interlock that will not allow the throttle to operate unless the PTO is fully engaged. That said, I have heard of that failing as well.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    I left that part out as I figured most people would not care. You are correct on the driving away part. Luckily our trucks have an interlock that will not allow the throttle to operate unless the PTO is fully engaged. That said, I have heard of that failing as well.

I've only done it once:D I've also only tried to shift it from pump to road without moving it to neutral first once as well! This is pretty much the look our training chief gave me when he heard those gears grind. eek7.gifumph.gif But I learned form it and have not done either ever since.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    No keys?
    fire1035 wrote:
    Doc left out the next step. Once the transfer is switched from "road" to "pump" gear the truck is then put back into drive to run the pump. If you forget to set the parking break and then increase the throttle (how you control the pressure at which the pump runs) the truck has a tendancy to drive away fromt he operator. The throttle control knob is the same as pushing your foot down on the gas pedal.

Like Doc said though fire trucks are more complicated than most people think. Then again though they don't even use keys to start so they shouldn't be that complicated should they? eek7.gif

No keys? You mean anyone can climb into a fire truck and start it up?????
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    Dee, Most larger firetrucks are deisel and built around designs from way back. You have a battery switch to connect the battery. You have an ignition that turns the power on to the main components. You then often have 2 buttons that you push simultaniously to start the motor. Often, there is no key involved.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    BrianLowtherBrianLowther Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Not really a Fire truck
    Same idea though.
    71661299-L.jpg

I did not have enough zoom or time to get a better shot.

Brian
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they dislike: it was a wise man, and it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed"
    - W. Somerset Maugham
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Helicopters are cool too!
    Same idea though.
    71661299-Th.jpg

I did not have enough zoom or time to get a better shot.

Brian

When I first got my Sony F828 I thought it was so fast. Now that I've used it for almost 3 years I've run into situations where I'm waiting for the darn image to download already so I can shoot again! I'm hoping I can make some extra money to get the new Sony Alpha. I have Minolta glass!

So I know what you're talking about. Especially not enough zoom. It's my mantra. Not enough zoom, I need a 600 mm lens, not enough zoom...:D
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    I thought that in an air system, the brakes are only released when pressure is
    added. Meaning in a situation where the air supply leaked down, the brakes
    would either remain set or come on as the supply leaked down?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Ian408,

Correct. I did not mean that the air leak would cause a truck to roll. Only that they are notorious for having problems. It is a good system but prone to problems if not properly maintained.

I have had a helmet (not being worn) pop the air brake control before.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    spied on our way to Angel Island and Boy Scout camping

45812567-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    With the advent of electronic (as in servo assisted) brakes, I am surprised
    that air continues to be the mechanism of choice for large vehicles.

Anyhow, let's add another piccie...

Not a firetruck but it was FD related...I had the opportunity to play in a
    golf tourney the other day. One of the give aways was this cool club
    cover:

71108832-M-1.jpg

If you want to read more, head over to the "news" forum.

Ian
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    beside a general store 10 miles off on a dirt road

72088914-M.jpg
    72088753-M.jpg
    72078229-M.jpg
    72078396-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2006
    What a neat find!
    Not everyday you stumble on some accessible old fire trucks! These are really nice -- and nostalgic too. Thanks for posting these.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2006
    Unfortunately it's not everyday you find them. I collect the manufacturer nameplates off of old engines. I had to drive all the way to Terre Haute form Indianapolis to find the only junk yard within a hundred miles that had ANY fire trucks in their yard. If anybody sees old rigs like that and the nameplates are available for a decent price (or other bits and pieces form the trucks, nozzles etc.) please let me know and I will gladly send money to buy them.

Now on to a photo. This is one I took yesterday while we were waiting to watch a parade that another one of our engines was participating in. Unfortunately we caught a run right before the parade was supposed to start so we didn't get to watch. The engine is my engine (54) the medic truck next to it is out of my house, and the one next to it is from station 51. The guys standing in front of the truck are Bryan, my jump seater on the engine, and Rick my paramedic from the medic truck.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 13, 2006
    Cfd
    81379384-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2006
    The fire truck is sleeping
    Is what we tell CJ when he starts asking questions we can't answer!

This is a very nice photo of a "sleeping" fire truck...

Where was this taken?

Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Is what we tell CJ when he starts asking questions we can't answer!

This is a very nice photo of a "sleeping" fire truck...

Where was this taken?

Thanks for posting!

Station on Des Plaines just south of Jackson. I have a few in one of my galleries.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2006
    I'll have CJ take a look at your gallery
    truth wrote:
    Station on Des Plaines just south of Jackson. I have a few in one of my galleries.

Thanks for responding with the location. I know he's going to ask me where the fire truck/station is!:):
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Dee

Here are the few that I have in my collection

77987686-M.jpg
    77988838-M.jpg

77989129-M.jpg

21132044-M.jpg

The following are from the Morton fire district and are still in use
    77969513-M.jpg
    77969959-M.jpg
    77970695-M.jpg
    77971344-M.jpg
    77982860-M.jpg
    77971730-M.jpg
    77981902-M.jpg
    77984496-M.jpg
    77984930-M.jpg
    77985407-M.jpg
    Fire equipment from Bodie I know the one on the left was already shown
    79628164-M.jpg
  • Options
    timttimt Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2006
    Just a few standard Fire Trucks, that I took during the local Crusade for Children Fund Raiser in Kentucky last year.
    24103203-M.jpg

24103205-M.jpg

24103259-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Here a couple i all ready had .. will get you some better ones..

83258451-M.jpg

83257906-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    That's quite a collection!
    I found the photo of the hoses particularly interesting!

That's quite a collection of old fire truck photos too that you have!

CJ's going to love looking at these --- thank you so much for posting!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    White and Red
    Cupertino, CA has white fire trucks... but mostly the trucks around us are red except for the ones at the airports which are yellow.

Thanks for posting these, it looks like it was a fun parade! And the children look like they are enjoying their rides on the fire trucks!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    Gold one is pretty...
    Do you know if it's an older fire truck or a new one?

It's interesting to see the different colors fire trucks are. Red, white, yellow -- and one of the Carolinas has some blue trucks!

The soft plush fire truck is really neat too!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    Hey Dee,

The gold one is an older American LaFrance engine. Probably of the late 60s to early 70s vintage. Sorry I can't give you the exact model. I know a few people who could, and if they had the serial number they could probably tell you every department it has ever served with!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    Thanks Billy
    fire1035 wrote:
    Hey Dee,

The gold one is an older American LaFrance engine. Probably of the late 60s to early 70s vintage. Sorry I can't give you the exact model. I know a few people who could, and if they had the serial number they could probably tell you every department it has ever served with!

It's amazing to me how many different truck manufacturers make fire trucks!

However, I had no idea they were tracked during their lifetime. What stories some of these trucks could tell!
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I found the photo of the hoses particularly interesting!

That's quite a collection of old fire truck photos too that you have!

CJ's going to love looking at these --- thank you so much for posting!

Dee,

The hoses on the rack span a long time starting on the bottom row the are from around 1930’s they weren’t quite sure what the actual date on them are clear up to brand new ones on the top row and on the floor. I have more trucks somewhere I just need to locate them when I do ill get them up.