Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks Linda. It's funny - after shooting this shot, I've see 4 kids his age with full mohawks. Reminds me of junior high! rolleyes1.gif

glad to see your making some time !! I look forward to your new image...just dont make it to good.:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Kerry so so so glad your back... Emily waves that big mod stick around like a crazed person....

anyway, Where are the pics?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    glad to see your making some time !! I look forward to your new image...just dont make it to good.:D

Sadly, I'm slammed for the next week. Looks like I'll wait another round - not that you have anything to fear. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Kerry so so so glad your back... Emily waves that big mod stick around like a crazed person....

Really? Wow, I think that "brian" of yours must have suffered some long term damage in the explosion.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks! And extra special thanks for keeping an eye on things while I was away. clap.gif

Well, they were ruthless, but I managed to survive somehow.

(It was my pleasure!)
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Really?

:D no not really.... ofcourse not.... I was just getting a rise out of ya:D

Im going crazy on this month long event.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009

(It was my pleasure!)

Nooooo, not us... :hang .... it was actually our pleasure to have Emily with us again :)

Angels is our name... blbl.gif

:lol4
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009

(It was my pleasure!)

It's hotter in some places than others, so maybe for the next few days you and all the other mods would like to take a break and forward your pm's to Llwewy....????
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    :D no not really.... ofcourse not.... I was just getting a rise out of ya:D

Im going crazy on this month long event.

Going crazy? eek7.gif

Sooooo. hows the entry going Aaron? headscratch.gifwink

I wish going crazy was my problem... I am swamped with house renovating and work to get done and just got back from an impromptu mini vaca from the husband, not to mention the camera is dying on me...

Must be nice to be bored with time on your hands.... eek7.gif I still have not shot mine, and I am running out of time... Go figure we get an entire month and I come up dry..headscratch.gifhuh
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Going crazy? eek7.gif

I wish going crazy was my problem... I am swamped with house renovating and work to get done and just got back from an impromptu mini vaca from the husband, not to mention the camera is dying on me...

Must be nice to be bored with time on your hands.... eek7.gif I still have not shot mine, and I am running out of time... Go figure we get an entire month and I come up dry..headscratch.gifhuh

Go buy a disposable P&S and show us that the camera makes NO difference.:ivar
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Go buy a disposable P&S and show us that the camera makes NO difference.:ivar

but, but, but...........eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif, what will I do for aperture control Dan.......I will be reduced to pinhole technology of old...eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif

I took her on vacation recently and there is no auto focus and even in manual, no focus confirmation either, making it near impossible to get a non blurry shot, at least while the subject is in motion..and the entire family stayed in motion being that it was up in the Cherokee National Park...

See? They all look like this one

http://katmitchell.smugmug.com/gallery/8700421_Ly2C7#599754033_pCshM

I went with the blurry processing to salvage it...kind of..headscratch.gif

Oh well, looks like another studio set up for this one.. A nice still shot..:D
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    anyway, Where are the pics?

All safely on my computer. :D
    HoofClix wrote:
    ...maybe for the next few days you and all the other mods would like to take a break and forward your pm's to Llwewy....????

:nono :smack :D
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Going crazy? eek7.gif

Im done... I just needed to regroup and find a different shot from this past weekend shoot...

The one I originally wanted to enter was kinda beat to the punch by a guy that goes by the name of Dan!
    (my planned shot was almost exact as his except I was about one foot to his left but our shutters were a clicking away at the same time... the only real difference was the sunstar shape)

:Dthumb.gif great shot Dan... I will know better to beat you to the processing!!!

but honestly Im glad I had to re-group because a Light went off in my head and I came up with some additional post processes I didnt plan on prior...something far better and closer to my song titles actual theme.
    (which BTW changed since we last talked)(Dan will verify that I had the Song Tiltle picked prior to the shot kinda sorta)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Im done... I just needed to regroup and find a different shot from this past weekend shoot...

The one I originally wanted to enter was kinda beat to the punch by a guy that goes by the name of Dan!
    (my planned shot was almost exact as his except I was about one foot to his left but our shutters were a clicking away at the same time... the only real difference was the sunstar shape)

:Dthumb.gif great shot Dan... I will know better to beat you to the processing!!!

but honestly Im glad I had to re-group because a Light went off in my head and I came up with some additional post processes I didnt plan on prior...something far better and closer to my song titles actual theme.
    (which BTW changed since we last talked)(Dan will verify that I had the Song Tiltle picked prior to the shot kinda sorta)

I'm sorry Aaron. I thought you had a different shot in mind for the challenge. In any event, I give you significant kudos for my shot because:

1. You pointed out the spot to shoot fromthumb.gif
    2. You told me to wait till the sun comes up to get the glow on the foreground thumb.gif and
    3. You gave me a hand climbing up those rocks rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    :D its no problem...haha I was just give you a hard time about kicking my butt @ PP...thumb.gif really any shot from that area served as a shot for my song..... and like i said im glad because i came up with something that i wouldnt have unless that happened....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Phew that's always a relief when a ton o shots are in limbo during a
    holiday, glad to hear they are all safe!

Welcome back!
    Emily did a grand job holding down the fort and entertaning us, but we all still missed you.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    2. You told me to wait till the sun comes up to get the glow on the foreground thumb.gif

(that light made all the sweet, pain & tears of the desert worth it right?)wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    (that light made all the sweet, pain & tears of the desert worth it right?)wings.gif

Absolutely clap.gif
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

:nono :smack :D

Now now...

Anyway, about that "all safely on my computer" part, I have a little portable backup drive that I use at horse shows. You should "gitcha one" for vacations and download to that before getting back home. I always have a helper at the shows who goes around and picks up cards from everyone, and lets say that he got really confused one day and failed to download a very important card, one with all of the weekend's award poses on it, and I lost all of it... Now I download my card to my backup drive before handing the card in to him ( or the person who replaced him)..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Anyway, about that "all safely on my computer" part...

I have a second laptop devotedly wholly to my photography, and it travels with me on vacations like this. I dump the cards onto it each night and clear them for the next morning. So they've been "safely on my computer" every day of the trip. Now to just get them safely backed up on my external drive. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I have a second laptop devotedly wholly to my photography, and it travels with me on vacations like this. I dump the cards onto it each night and clear them for the next morning. So they've been "safely on my computer" every day of the trip. Now to just get them safely backed up on my external drive. mwink.gif

Kerry you live dangerous....I would never do that....
    download to the laptop great idea, but dont clear any Cards until the images were also on an external HD.

why do you trust your Laptop?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    It's not so much that I trust the laptop, but I can't afford enough cards to last me for my vacations. I manage to shoot about 5,000 photos on average on trips like these, and I shoot RAW, so I can squeeze about 300 photos onto one 8GB card. Matter of necessity at this point. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    It's not so much that I trust the laptop, but I can't afford enough cards to last me for my vacations. I manage to shoot about 5,000 photos on average on trips like these, and I shoot RAW, so I can squeeze about 300 photos onto one 8GB card. Matter of necessity at this point. deal.gif

Well, I'm traveling quite a bit and taking about the same amount of photos. What I found and I feel
    very comfortable with, are the LaCie external hard drives (I have severals). They are quite small,
    light, they have USB and Firewire 800 and 400, with a capacity of 500Gb each, affordable price too...

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11257
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    but, but, but...........eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif, what will I do for aperture control Dan.......I will be reduced to pinhole technology of old...eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif

I took her on vacation recently and there is no auto focus and even in manual, no focus confirmation either, making it near impossible to get a non blurry shot, at least while the subject is in motion..and the entire family stayed in motion being that it was up in the Cherokee National Park...

See? They all look like this one

http://katmitchell.smugmug.com/gallery/8700421_Ly2C7#599754033_pCshM

I went with the blurry processing to salvage it...kind of..headscratch.gif

Oh well, looks like another studio set up for this one.. A nice still shot..:D

Point and shoots ar great fun when you don't want to lug a big camera with you. I always have a PnS in my purse! Here is one I took at sunset yesterday with my PnS...
    599948742_Esmkm-L.jpg

Although there is a some blurring up around the top edges but for the most part it gives me some fun in pp to play with. I have an album full of my PnS photos...most of them taken from the car at 65 miles an hour while my hubby drives!
    If you want to see look here.... http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/gallery/7359859_7KVmP/5/599948742_Esmkm#599948742_Esmkm
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Point and shoots ar great fun when you don't want to lug a big camera with you. I always have a PnS in my purse! ...

Oh, I have plenty of photos with my old Cannon P&S SD700, from the time
    I didn't know anything about photography. Here are 2 examples:

365102312_fFGcY-L-8.jpg

and

365100584_gpiKv-L-8.jpg

They are not very sharp and magazine quality, but they are still printable and I think decent shots...

They are pretty much strait from the camera, with no modifications - I don't remember if I did any
    levels correction to them...

Yes, it's Acapulco :)

... and for whoever would be interested to see, here is a gallery with some more P&S photos
    from Mexico 2008
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    My camera is a $200 Kodak. Would I like better, sure, but I can't afford it. So, I have to try a little harder to get a decent shot. My biggest drawback is not being able to switch lenses. There is a telepoto that would fit it with an extension adaptor, but I have heard mixed views on it. So, I stick with things that aren't so far away for my best shots.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    My camera is a $200 Kodak. Would I like better, sure, but I can't afford it. So, I have to try a little harder to get a decent shot. My biggest drawback is not being able to switch lenses. There is a telepoto that would fit it with an extension adaptor, but I have heard mixed views on it. So, I stick with things that aren't so far away for my best shots.

Hi Donna, I hope you don't mind if I took one example from your gallery full of beautiful shots:

477969506_S9ksx-L-1.jpg

... May I ask why are you so shy with your photos? headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    ... May I ask why are you so shy with your photos? headscratch.gif

Shy??!....I think she's just modest! mwink.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Tatiana....have you really settled on an image for this challenge? I know you've submitted magic bus, but I still keep checking the challenge threads for new contenders you might have. :D
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    WOW JAG... That is some gorgeous water for a drive by shoot...eek7.gifD

Kat

599948742_Esmkm-L.jpg