Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited July 27, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #29

Welcome to Round #29 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, June 29, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -4) to Monday, July 27, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -4).

The topic ready for your interpretation: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

Time for some foot-tapping, hum-inducing, finger-snapping inspiration! For this round, capture a photo that represents a song title of your choosing; we should be able to identify the song (or at least its gist) just by looking at the photo, even if we've never heard the song before. Since you have a month, we want to see the best of your best work! Entries must be titled with the song title (not lyrics or chorus or any refrains): dgrin username - song title. For extra credit, add the song artist on a second line in your photo caption. So show us who loves the sun, or capture a yellow moon—just don't leave us with an empty frame! :D

Your Judges:
Llywellyn
Greensquared (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    This challenge is a "Thriller" thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    You are good!
    Awesome idea for a challenge! It will be quite exciting to see what folks do with this one! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    On a related note, I'll be around intermittently during July (leaving on a jet plane), so the fabulous Greensquared has agreed to help answer any questions you may have during my absence. clap.gif Of course, supermod Erik will be lurking in the shadows. mwink.gif

So continue on as you were! Emily's words are better than mine anyway. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    On a related note, I'll be around intermittently during July (leaving on a jet plane), so the fabulous Greensquared has agreed to help answer any questions you may have during my absence. clap.gif Of course, supermod Erik will be lurking in the shadows. mwink.gif

So continue on as you were! Emily's words are better than mine anyway. thumb.gif

So we drove you into needing a vacation from us this time? (oh dear... I just know that is terrible grammer)
    :cry We will miss you while you are gone.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    So we drove you into needing a vacation from us this time?

Ah...um... :uhoh

lol3.gif

Nah, this is my personal tradition. I recapture the only part of high school I miss: summer vacation. :D
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    :jawdrop:jawdrop:jawdrop:jawdrop:jawdrop Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

Now I see why your forewarned us Kerry..eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

This makes a self portrait look like a walk in the park.:ginger

I feel a collapse coming on....:rutt....help....

Ok,,, I can do this.. I can do this....:lynnsite

I think I can, I think I can....I think I can.. Positive mantras, deep breaths..rolleyes1.gif

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ok....... maybe not......help..:rutt:rutt:rutt
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Well,, Here is your chance Aaron.. S.O.S.. HA HA HA:lol4
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Ah...um... :uhoh

lol3.gif

Nah, this is my personal tradition. I recapture the only part of high school I miss: summer vacation. :D
    Too cool!!! Good for you! Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

=====

Hope ya have a fun and safe journey Kerry.. ahhhhhhh, a break from the
    Romper Room, isn't it just splendid..? :D
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    UGH!!!!!! I wanna play in this one sooooooo bad!!!!! Darn, why do I got to be on the other side of the world with no camera... :cry This should be a good one! My two favorite things music and photography!! Somebody take a shot for me!!!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    UGH!!!!!! I wanna play in this one sooooooo bad!!!!! Darn, why do I got to be on the other side of the world with no camera... :cry This should be a good one! My two favorite things music and photography!! Somebody take a shot for me!!!

many many of my DSS shots are with a P&S... you cant tell me you left without one of those did you?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:

or a camera phone? I have seen those too..:D
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Well,, Here is your chance Aaron.. S.O.S.. HA HA HA:lol4
    S.O.S.

btw, I really enjoyed that movie the second time around.... its a very fun show. (did i just admit that out loud?)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:

Being half-way around the world is a good thing. Being there without a camera is BAD! Where's half-way for you?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    S.O.S.

btw, I really enjoyed that movie the second time around.... its a very fun show. (did i just admit that out loud?)

uh huh.. I think you just did...eek7.gifhuheek7.gif you stay right there don't move, and I will go get the guys in the white coats..thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Great choice clap.gifclap.gif

So many directions I can go with this thumb.gif

Edit: After thinking about this for under an hour I have about 20-30 ideas thank you for making this a month long challenge, hopefully this will lead to a interesting body of song based work
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    many many of my DSS shots are with a P&S... you cant tell me you left without one of those did you?

It wasn't a DSS shot, but you recently did a superb IR landscape pan with a handheld P&S with like 7 shots and NO tripod!thumb.gifthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    When I first saw this theme I thought "Oh God, this leaves me out in the cold" then I remembered a song I just recently downloaded, a version done by John Coltrane and originally written back in the 1930's. Its become one of my favorites and just about the bluest song I have ever heard! One write up describes it thus..
    "[Song Title] conveys such a vast range of emotions that more than 500 musicians have explored it. Some, like Joe Henderson playing solo saxophone, have chosen a hushed approach, while singers like Nancy Wilson have given it a shot of drama." and goes on to say.." it seems simple, but it's quite complex — emotionally and musically, with a very unusual structure. It even gave Frank Sinatra a hard time when he tried to record it in 1958. He gave up on the song, laughing that he would "put it aside for about a year." But he never did return to it."

Now to find a willing body to be my model and the right atmosphere...
    assuming I can pull it off!!

Jeff
    putting his-self in the hot seat! Ha Ha!
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    thanks Brian! remember my one and only DSS win? that was a SD880!
    funny, most of my "high end" camera shots havent gone to far in DSS, but i pull out the P&S and win one...thumb.gif (everyones Lucky once in a while)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    funny, most of my "high end" camera shots havent gone to far in DSS, but i pull out the P&S and win one...thumb.gif (everyones Lucky once in a while)
    One of my best/favorite shots ever was done with a little Olympus 3.1 mega pixel so I know right where you're at there!
    speaking of which, now I'm lusting after the sigma D2 and the Olympus Pen E-P1 because of their compact size and they remind me of my first range-finder camera I got when I was a wee lad of 14 (in the dim dark ages of film :D) when my family was on its way to our last post in Thailand and we stopped in Hong Kong for a few days. Wow the selection and prices, (this was in the mid 1960's) who could resist?? My brownie never did see much use after that! Ha Ha!

Jeff
    traveling down memory lane......(or should that be stumbling down??...)
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Ohhh. This is tricky. Do you take a picture first, and then find a song title to fit it. Or do you think of a song title, and then compose a shot? If you go with the latter, purer, approach, you'll really have to be careful on the song title. If you choose Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World," how do you do this justice with a single picture. So you'll have to choose something more obscure. There are some classic, silly country song titles (e.g., "Your Wife is Cheatin' on Us Again," and "It's Hard to Kiss the Lips at Night that Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long"), but I think the punk band The Cramps might have some songs well-suited to literal, photographic interpretation:

"Eyeball in My Martini," "Naked Girl Falling Down the Stairs," "Don't Eat Stuff off the Sidewalk," "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns."
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009

I hear ya, my top finish so far was with a Nikon S600.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    I have to take a trip to Ottowa in mid July I was thinking about gear. Guess my Canon P&S will go, have to travel light..... Leaving on a Jet Plane comes to mind.SOooooo many others choose from. Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgerg.gifCreative overload coming on. Thank you for giving us a month. We can change our mind thousand of times before it is over:D
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    I gotsa feeling there is going to be a lot of doubling up on this..

We need a dibs thread...:lol4friday.gif

I guess that's why everyone is sharing... ha ha ha ....mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifD

I will be right back I need to go grab that top 20 list from each era..:gone:gone:gone:gone:gone
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    ok everyone, I am without internet.. at my parents now... and already starting the shakes at the thought of shutting down and going home. Hope to be back up in the morning... so don't do ANYTHINg without me, OK?mwink.gif
    Nite all :cry
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    ok, I am back..

Can I have the 70's ? rolleyes1.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow aw, come on guys.. please....:D
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    ok everyone, I am without internet.. at my parents now... and already starting the shakes at the thought of shutting down and going home. Hope to be back up in the morning... so don't do ANYTHINg without me, OK?mwink.gif
    Nite all :cry

Remember Donna.. I told you about that Dgrin AA I started.. you are still welcome to join us.. :D
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    RocketMan wrote:
    When I first saw this theme I thought "Oh God, this leaves me out in the cold" then I remembered a song I just recently downloaded, a version done by John Coltrane and originally written back in the 1930's. Its become one of my favorites and just about the bluest song I have ever heard! One write up describes it thus..

I love John Coltrane. Can't wait to see which song your talking about.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Remember Donna.. I told you about that Dgrin AA I started.. you are still welcome to join us.. :D

Ha, but I made the darn thing work. For how long, I don't know. Funny what you can accomplish when you lose a connection. :D
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    I gotsa feeling there is going to be a lot of doubling up on this..

We need a dibs thread...:lol4friday.gif

I guess that's why everyone is sharing... ha ha ha ....mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifD

I will be right back I need to go grab that top 20 list from each era..:gone:gone:gone:gone:gone

Some reason I don't think my choices so far will have any issues with that (a link to the song might be needed though)